• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
We've got Trump fatigue and we're not even a year into this thing. People are talking about him like it's W's seventh year in office already. You really think everyone isn't going to be begging for a return to normalcy in three years?

I'm just glad it's already 2019

Maybe I'm giving gerrymandering too much credit, but I expect the GOP to keep the House in 2018. I'll be voting to reelect Alma Adams in my district, but I don't think Democrats can overcome maps.

Maengun1

I am actually somehow surprised that Vacation Trump is EVEN WORSE than regular Trump. I really figured he'd want to get the hell out of there, golf, and keep his head down. He really does like doing .....this.....more than anything else though. And now he doesn't have 3 meetings to fall asleep during every day so there's a full 24 hours to spew garbage out of his mouth and twitter.

We'd probably be getting 3x as much daily Trump wisdom if Hillary were president, lol (but he wouldn't like...have the nukes and stuff).

Zolo

TBH at this point... "what the hell do you have to lose?"

Trump still has high enough approval that he doesn't have to worry about being ousted. His strikes against Syria seemed to be one of the few things he did that made his supporters go "Uh....maybe don't do that."

The last time the US voted for a block of cement was H.W.: it's all about charisma now.

I'm not so sure. Obama/Biden definitely capitalized on running against McCain/Palin (the latter being the operative there). After Dubya's constant embarrassments, I do think a solid number of people were voting for a return to dignity for the country.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I am actually somehow surprised that Vacation Trump is EVEN WORSE than regular Trump. I really figured he'd want to get the hell out of there, golf, and keep his head down. He really does like doing .....this.....more than anything else though. And now he doesn't have 3 meetings to fall asleep during every day so there's a full 24 hours to spew garbage out of his mouth and twitter.

We'd probably be getting 3x as much daily Trump wisdom if Hillary were president, lol (but he wouldn't like...have the nukes and stuff).

The thing we didn't account for was that Trump would just get bored on vacation.

Ernest

Banned
Former Republican Senator calls for Congress to oust Trump.

DGzBheXWAAAZL0X

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
We've got Trump fatigue and we're not even a year into this thing. People are talking about him like it's W's seventh year in office already. You really think everyone isn't going to be begging for a return to normalcy in three years?
I don't know. I just don't want to get my hopes up about people being reasonable. I gave that up when he won.

But someone would. A bunch of these movements have been astroturfed as fuck, I wouldn't put it past the wing.

I bet it's Soros funding it so he can fund more professional protestors to protest it because he loves pissing away his money with no discernible gain.

On the real, though. I think that unfortunately you don't need to pay these people or those that cover/promote them to be assholes. They're just assholes.

So this is a thing that is now happening:

http://www.12news.com/news/politics/sinema-aiming-for-senate-stanton-preps-for-congressional-seat/463575124
Kyrsten Sinema gearing up for a run at Jeff Flakes Senate seat, and popular Mayor of Phoenix (non-partisan elections, but he's a Democrat) gearing up for a run at Sinema's "vacant" House seat.
It'll be a good upgrade both ways.

Already saw some folks on Kos demanding we find someone more progressive than Sinema. I'm hardly a fan of blue dogs but I'm not sure I have anyone else in mind (besides Mark Kelly. And we might have both).

Teggy

So there is a huge "white pride" event ("unite the right") in Charlottesville, VA tomorrow and a pre-march of a couple hundred at UVA tonight. Was I just not paying attention for the last bunch of years or are these a new thing? Are these guys just feeling more confident (for obvious reasons)

Ogodei

So there is a huge "white pride" event ("unite the right") in Charlottesville, VA tomorrow and a pre-march of a couple hundred at UVA tonight. Was I just not paying attention for the last bunch of years or are these a new thing? Are these guys just feeling more confident (for obvious reasons)

They pull this shit in Charlottesville because they want students to riot so they can sell another Berkeley sob-story. There are plenty of small Virginia towns where they could turn out and not possibly goad a backlash.

Teggy

They pull this shit in Charlottesville because they want students to riot so they can sell another Berkeley sob-story. There are plenty of small Virginia towns where they could turn out and not possibly goad a backlash.

Maybe they should have waited for school to be back in session?

No Friday oppo:( At least Sunday will be fun when Trump goes back to New York. We need Scaramucci back. There isn't anything funny going on at the White house anymore other than an idiot trying to start a nuclear war.

I hope every Democrat Congressmen/woman look at what happened at Charlottesville and take notice because this is frightening stuff that requires the party attention.

It is something that they will have to consider in the near future. The country is quickly becoming more diverse and a bigger chunk of the voting population is getting younger. The new reality will be that the WWC vote will become less reliable and large over time and both parties is going ti need to adjust their strategies convince the new demographic to vote for them. Old strategies aren't going to work anymore.

This whole event harkens back to any era were protests like this were common place; with the "post-racial" era we are now in I think many politicians don't want to relive the experiences of that time and rather not comment on it besides the traditional rhetoric. These types of events and other worse than this will keep happening. The Democrats will have to make a choice sooner or later, of what agenda that reflects the current cultural and ideological issues, they will push forward.

I think sometime by the 2020s the nation is going realize that is a problem that needs to be solved. Pretending that we live in a "post racial" era will be even more foolish, as more people, especially millennials, well come to understand that more needs to be done and the issues that they thought only happened back in the day is happening today, even still. I believe people after the civil rights movement created a belief that everything is over and it is time to move on, but perhaps now we are entering into a new phase.

Protests like this probably shouldn't be surprising. Like I said the country is getting more diverse the country and it's people is reacting to it right now. The group of people that long dominated the country is losing influence, new groups are emerging voices, sometimes those voices criticize the group that dominated, and that group most now realize that there are people that will have just as much influence as they do, in time. The minorities that is becoming more increasing visible will have to be more accommodated, eventually. Regardless of political affiliation, the question of race is going to rear it's head for a lot more people.

It's been half a day and I still have no idea wtf "military options" for Venezuela would be. Are we invading? To capture what? Just bombing? What would be bomb, and why? This is literally just "I'm not ruling out force for _name_of_country_with_some_random_crisis_." We could, uh, send them food? Ask neighbors if we can set up some distribution points at the border? That's marginally helpful and justified without looking like complete douches! Though, no, even that would be a politically-charged action.
I'd like to see Trump try and find Guam on a map.
Guam is an actual tough find, as it's well with the "region with a bazillion islands that belong to ???," and people might randomly grab Palau or Saipan as other larger islands or any of 50 interchangeable Micronesia destinations. ........Though yes, the POTUS should be able to find Guam on a map and I have no doubt that Trump would be unable to.

........Uh, this dual protect march thing in Charlottesville is terrifying. CNN is onto "White Nationalists" which at least makes it clear without room for discussion that it's racist bullshit--far more important than any claim of national pride. That's farther than most mainstream media would probably have gone in the past. Whatever, I'll take it for now.

Maybe I'm giving gerrymandering too much credit, but I expect the GOP to keep the House in 2018. I'll be voting to reelect Alma Adams in my district, but I don't think Democrats can overcome maps.

Nice to see another Charlottean here. And I also agree with your statement. Let's hope the new state districts lead to a Democratic General Assembly next year and 2020, which would then lead to fair congressional districts in 2021. Democrats would also be fools to not put a referendum up in 2020 for a non-partisan redistricting commission. Any state that flips to Democratic control needs to do this.

Green Yoshi

Interesting article by Glenn Greenwald. I wonder if this will be discussed during the primaries in 2020.

One of the most under-discussed yet consequential changes in the American political landscape is the reunion between the Democratic Party and the country's most extreme and discredited neocons. While the rise of Donald Trump, whom neocons loathe, has accelerated this realignment, it began long before the ascension of Trump and is driven by far more common beliefs than contempt for the current president.

A newly formed and, by all appearances, well-funded national security advocacy group, devoted to more hawkish U.S. policies toward Russia and other adversaries, provides the most vivid evidence yet of this alliance. Calling itself the Alliance for Securing Democracy, the group describes itself as ”a bipartisan, transatlantic initiative" that ”will develop comprehensive strategies to defend against, deter, and raise the costs on Russian and other state actors' efforts to undermine democracy and democratic institutions," and also ”will work to publicly document and expose Vladimir Putin's ongoing efforts to subvert democracy in the United States and Europe."

It is, in fact, the ultimate union of mainstream Democratic foreign policy officials and the world's most militant, and militaristic, neocons. The group is led by two longtime Washington foreign policy hands, one from the establishment Democratic wing and the other a key figure among leading GOP neocons.

https://theintercept.com/2017/07/17...rehabilitate-and-unify-with-bush-era-neocons/

jtb

Banned
Greenwald is Michael Tracey 2.0, smarter at hiding his trolliness and isn't an overt white supremacist.

Current version of Greenwald doesn't actually hold any beliefs or values other than 'Democrats are bad' [because they're bad for my business].

If that Nina Turner thread was good for anything, its nice to have some validation of suspicions I have had about one or two posters.

I wasn't expecting a token "because she is black" as a genuine response to how Nina Turner would win over the most reliable voting bloc (minority women) of the democratic party.

barber

If that Nina Turner thread was good for anything, its nice to have some validation of suspicions I have had about one or two posters.

I wasn't expecting a token "because she is black" as a genuine response to how Nina Turner would win over the most reliable voting bloc (minority women) of the democratic party.

The worst part was when they didn't talk about the outreach Hillary had done to get that vote and just said it was all due to name.

The worst part was when they didn't talk about the outreach Hillary had done to get that vote and just said it was all due to name.

I remember when Bernie was off taking his vacation to the Vatican, Hillary was in Harlem, quietly eating dinner and hanging out with African American families.

Probably the biggest contrast in how the two sides treated the primary

barber

I remember when Bernie was off taking his vacation to the Vatican, Hillary was in Harlem, quietly eating dinner and hanging out with African American families.

I mean, regardless of what Bernie did or didn't do, Hillary was in a church with mothers of people who were killed by the police. She regularly talked about police brutality and said "Black lives matter" during debates. She worked hard for that support.
I mean, one of the main complains when she lost was that she focused too much in social problems instead of economic ones.

It shows that at the very least that poster learned nothing from the previous primary and worst his racism blinded him to what might have made Hillary more appealing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom