• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

I don't love this response, honestly, because it's very important to distinguish between theory and practice. People often celebrate America as they believe it should be. Responding by critiquing what America actually is is really talking at cross purposes.

I can see that, but I think when this is coming from a rich white person who doesn't really seem to do much work on the ground (wrt racism) the response is understandable.

Also, fun account: @YesYoureRacist - basically just names and shames racists who go out in public.

I may not agree with them but I support there rights. The problem I see now and I hate to say it, but the left extreme is encouraging vilonce. These racists used to be local news only and laughed at. Now these guys get front page because counter protesters have a larger group most times and a mob mentality. And sad thing is everyone wants to see a fight break out.
No.

barber

I may not agree with them but I support there rights. The problem I see now and I hate to say it, but the left extreme is encouraging vilonce. These racists used to be local news only and laughed at. Now these guys get front page because counter protesters have a larger group most times and a mob mentality. And sad thing is everyone wants to see a fight break out.
Anti-fa has always been going against fascist / hard right protests. The problem is that those groups have been reinforced since last year due to certain politicians. Extreme left may be sometimes prompt to violence BUT in most cases the initiator is the extreme right. Look at today, who was injured and sadly died? not the fascists.
Edit: limits to freedom of speech due to hate speach is not something that bad, as long as the limits are well defined and not changed to satisfy the party in power (so yeah, never happening in USA)

I don't love this response, honestly, because it's very important to distinguish between theory and practice. People often celebrate America as they believe it should be. Responding by critiquing what America actually is is really talking at cross purposes.

Basically my thought. On the flip side, can't fault folks for being disillusioned right now, or for trying to counter program against the significantly more common issue of people conflating that theory with the reality.

That you decided to describe counter-protesters to neo-nazis as the "left extreme" is very telling.

The Nazi's committed 100% of the violence in the past 24 hours, including driving a muscle car into a crowd of peaceful protesters. The reason you didnt hear about them before is because Trump made them feel so empowered that they dont even need to wear their hoods anymore.

63 million americans told them that this is ok.

Yeah, the ideals of the US have never been fully achieved, from day one, but those ideals are still something to hold onto.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If i were a modern day politician i'd be terrified of putting anything in the constitution that allows the censorship of the media. "Ok lets ban Nazi propaganda" will turn into "MSNBC and the Washington Post are fake news and will be banned from this NATION BLESSED UNDER OUR ONE AND ONLY ALMIGHTY GOD! #MAGA"

I dont know what else to do though, Hard right propaganda clearly pushed republican voters to the right over the last 20 years, and republicans choose to just move to the right with them rather than trying to reign them in and keep them sane, now things have gotten so bad that we have Trump as president and the KKK feels so emboldened that they dont even wear their hoods anymore.

Very considerable. An administration that apparently cannot bring itself to condemn literal neo-nazis would not hesitate for a second to criminalize eg Black Lives Matter rhetoric as hate speech against cops.

My underlying argument is: It's ultimately possible, put very much a pipe dream since it requires a const amendment. Other countries limit speech in certain ways without it going too far, but it requires a functioning judicial system and properly designed ammendment to work.

It is already illegal to utter "fighting words" under federal law. How much farther do you want to go?

Huh?

It's the same fundamental problem with "America is already great." Clearly not.

That's more than fair. But Hillary also was much more forceful than many politicians in directly calling out racism too. Not sure if you were referring to those comments coming from Hillary or in general.

That you decided to describe counter-protesters to neo-nazis as the "left extreme" is very telling.

Lol telling. I'm an Indian guy that lives in a post 911 world. I'm not saying they are the same. It's The fact that you have two sides that don t like one another that are ready to go. It only takes one person to set another off. Don't matter if it's this or two sports teams. And yes there are people on the extreme left as well that are just as nasty in this world.

Lol telling. I'm an Indian guy that lives in a post 911 world. I'm not saying they are the same. It's The fact that you have two sides that don t lime one another that are ready to go. It only takes one person to set another off. Don't matter if it's this or two sports teams. And yes there are people on the extreme left as well that are just as nasty wasn't here Nazi's.
No.

jtb

Banned
That's more than fair. But Hillary also was much more forceful than many politicians in directly calling out racism too. Not sure if you were referring to those comments coming from Hillary or in general.

All of the above. It just wasn't a good message to counter Trump's racism and MAGA (as evidenced by the election lol).

Lol telling. I'm an Indian guy that lives in a post 911 world. I'm not saying they are the same. It's The fact that you have two sides that don t lime one another that are ready to go. It only takes one person to set another off. Don't matter if it's this or two sports teams. And yes there are people on the extreme left as well that are just as nasty wasn't here Nazi's.

No, only one side wants hate and white supremacy to prevail. Just one. Resisting that is not in the wrong.

royalan

You know what? I would rather Obama didn't tweet at all and deleted his fucking account if all he's going to do is tweet some kumbayah shit while people are literally dying in the streets due to the resurgence of white nationalism, the klu klux klan, and racial hate.

UberTag

I turn on CNN and I see David Gergen talking about what Trump should do, how he could turn it around, and I'm thinking when the fuck are these people gonna take the gloves off? He's irredeemable human trash, just say that already. Make it your goddamn mantra.
Your first mistake was turning on CNN.
Your second mistake was holding them to some expectation that they will EVER take the gloves off.
You're projecting your expectations of what a responsible news service would do on a network that has no inclination to be one. They're entertainment media.

Xando

It is illegal to incite violence toward groups in the United States. What, specifically, do you want to make illegal beyond that?
IIRC that only counts if your words incite an immediate danger.
Something like „i‘m gonna kill some blacks right now“ might be able to be covered.

Something like „All blacks should be gassed“ would not be covered.

Compare this to germanys hate speech laws(Volksverhetzung) which covers this:

Whosoever, in a manner capable of disturbing the public peace:

incites hatred against a national, racial, religious group or a group defined by their ethnic origins, against segments of the population or individuals because of their belonging to one of the aforementioned groups or segments of the population or calls for violent or arbitrary measures against them; or
assaults the human dignity of others by insulting, maliciously maligning an aforementioned group, segments of the population or individuals because of their belonging to one of the aforementioned groups or segments of the population, or defaming segments of the population,
shall be liable to imprisonment from three months to five years

Now even with these laws it’s still extremely hard to get someone convicted for hatespeech in germany and it often goes to the Supreme Court which ultimately defines what’s hate speech and what’s not.

Wilsongt

LOL. Literally read a Facebook comment saying they should have left the statue, some heritage/history stuff, and he ended the post with literally GEORGE SOROS

Your first mistake was turning on CNN.
Your second mistake was holding them to some expectation that they will EVER take the gloves off.
You're projecting your expectations of what a responsible news service would do on a network that has no inclination to be one. They're entertainment media.

It's the first time I've turned it on in weeks, and it's like, you assholes are still doing this? You're right though, it's not surprising.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just got back in and saw today's news. What a gutless president we have. I'm embarrassed to be an American. Hillary was 100% right with her "deplorables" comment.

thefro

You know what? I would rather Obama didn't tweet at all and deleted his fucking account if all he's going to do is tweet some kumbayah shit while people are literally dying in the streets due to the resurgence of white nationalism, the klu klux klan, and racial hate.

A Nelson Mandela quote is some "kumbaya shit" now?

I am still stunned that the fucking President of the United States of America literally went "both sides" today.

I was fully expecting him to blame this on Obama. So it actually wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, but he didnt even mention any of the victims which i figured was a sure thing. And nobody from the white house has said the word White supremacist, Nazi, or even Terrorist.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
John McCain's statement is fantastic. Basically everything a competent leader should say.

I am still stunned that the fucking President of the United States of America literally went "both sides" today.

I'm not sure why. It's the man in the position that should have not made this a surprise.

Seriously Sanders calls them Nazis, Clinton calls them White Supremacists and Obama tweets like an Inspiration Tweetbot...

Plinko

White House was asked three separate times by the same reporter to denounce white supremacists and all they would come back with was "we condemn all violence." Not even hiding it.

A Nelson Mandela quote is some "kumbaya shit" now?

Nazis just roamed through a US city and one of them ran over a bunch of people, killing one and Obama is tweeting about teaching people to love... yeah in this context it's kumbaya shit

When John fucking McCain is speaking bolder than you yeah... it's a problem.

Given how much the morons on the right try to blame him for "dividing the country" I am fine with his tweets. It's kind of a "fuck you" to them and a great contrast between him and Trump.

Given how much the morons on the right try to blame him for "dividing the country" I am fine with his tweets. It's kind of a "fuck you" to them and a great contrast between him and Trump.
At some point it would be nice to hear Obama get angry and loudly condemn these kind of events instead of taking the moral high road so he doesn't hurt the feelings of Nazis.

At some point it would be nice to hear Obama get angry and loudly condemn these kind of events instead of taking the moral high road so he doesn't hurt the feelings of Nazis.

I think it's more that he doesn't want to validate their perception of "angry black man president" than to avoid hurting their feelings

There's a part of me that wonders if he realized how chained he is to say something because he's black.

Let white people do the talking.

I think it's more that he doesn't want to validate their perception of "angry black man president" than to avoid hurting their feelings
That's exactly the problem though. It feels like Obama refuses to be blunt or get angry in situations like this because he's too wound up in thinking how Republicans are going to react to what he has to say. It'd be nice if he cared less about what racists will think because the fact is that the right is going to pummel the Obama drum regardless of what he says or does, just like they have been doing for the past 8 years. It feels like a McCain moment in a way in that people are suffering and all Obama can say is that he is slightly concerned (If he even says that).

Maengun1

Obama has been the living embodiment of grace, class and restraint his entire life, and they still act like he's a raving lunatic boogeyman. I got why he kept his cool through his presidency, but there is no reason he can't unload at this point. He should be scorching Trump with daily speeches IMO. Someone has to.

edit: not that he hasn't earned his retirement too, lol. But I don't get what being nicey-nice is achieving when he does speak up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom