• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
I think you might be muddling your perceptions of "they" here.

The Constitution is a product of compromise between the northern states and the southern states, which had different viewpoints; people tend to lump all of those folks into "Founding Fathers" and figure they all had the same mindset, but it's the case. By and large, the southern states wanted to maintain mostly pro-slavery policies in it (since they relied on slaves economically) while the northern states were mostly ambivalent about it and figured slavery was one of those things that would just kinda go away on its own. Most of the facets of the Constitution regarding slavery are the result of those compromises - an explicitly pro-slavery or anti-slavery Constitution wouldn't include them.

Coincidentally, the Electoral College is one of those compromises, since it functions in conjunction with the 3/5ths Compromise. The bicameral legislature is essentially one as well, since the Senate favored northern states over southern states (8 vs. 5).

I think you're giving the north a lot of unearned credit here.

*is in meetings all morning*

*checks twitter*

tenor.gif

Tax reform would be impossible for republicans to agree on. And also, even though I think the tax code should be reformed, because we have a lot of corporate loopholes, just simplifying tax code also opens a lot of ways to expose different loopholes because sometimes you need complicated measures to stop things from being used in situations they shouldn't be used in.

Like for example. Mel Gibson has a sheep farm on his Illinois property. We all know Mel has no interest in actually farming sheep. He just wanted the tax cut for his property. But he got everything under code and such so how do you stop stuff like that from happening without hurting the farmers who actually need the property subsidy? You have to add in a bunch of bullshit and hope it works.

So I'm really not sure how you approach this because I think selling a "simplified tax code to close corporate loopholes" will just open new ones until they actually tell us in detail which things they are simplifying, how much it will generate and who will benefit.

jmdajr

Tax reform would be impossible for republicans to agree on. And also, even though I think the tax code should be reformed, because we have a lot of corporate loopholes, just simplifying tax code also opens a lot of ways to expose different loopholes because sometimes you need complicated measures to stop things from being used in situations they shouldn't be used in.

Like for example. Mel Gibson has a sheep farm on his Illinois property. We all know Mel has no interest in actually farming sheep. He just wanted the tax cut for his property. But he got everything under code and such so how do you stop stuff like that from happening without hurting the farmers who actually need the property subsidy? You have to add in a bunch of bullshit and hope it works.

So I'm really not sure how you approach this because I think selling a "simplified tax code to close corporate loopholes" will just open new ones until they actually tell us in detail which things they are simplifying, how much it will generate and who will benefit.

well this was random

Piecake

I think you're giving the north a lot of unearned credit here.

A number of Northern States by that point had already passed laws to ensure the gradual abolition of slavery. Massachusetts even declared in unconstitutional and freed all slaves within its territory immediately.

I have no doubt that Northerners cared a lot more about creating a union of the colonies than ensuring that the nation actually took concrete steps to gradually abolish slavery, but if they didn't care at all, then we would have a much more explicit pro-slavery constitution.

Ryan working with the dems will be the final nail in his coffin. That is what killed Boehner, as he was labelled a traitor by the alt-right / tea party.

Boehner did significantly more than that. He actively punished members who obstructed, specially HFC types. He stripped multiple House members of positions and chairmanships. Ryan managed to become Speaker in part by promising not to use those tactics, and will likely never face the revolt Boehner did. Is he facing opposition/anger/etc? Of course. But he's not pissing people off like John Boehner.

well this was random
It actually happened

Also he wasn't taking care of it properly and the run off slipped into the river and contaminated the towns water

My teacher in college lived right down the street and it just popped in my head when I thought "stupid things people do to avoid taxes that would require extra measures to close"

barber

Boehner did significantly more than that. He actively punished members who obstructed, specially HFC types. He stripped multiple House members of positions and chairmanships. Ryan managed to become Speaker in part by promising not to use those tactics, and will likely never face the revolt Boehner did. Is he facing opposition/anger/etc? Of course. But he's not pissing people off like John Boehner.
I would say after the astonishing legislative success that the GOP has done during this tenure, which was being blamed into the leadership of the congress and senate just until Trump fucked things up even more, any pact with the democrats will be seeing as an act of treason. It is also true that he has no balls to actually punish and that even after the deal with the democrats to push the budget there was no major problem, so it is quite likely that you are right.

EXCLUSIVE: Rep. Rohrabacher Says Assange Could Be Pardoned For Info About DNC Leak Source

Rohrabacher told The Daily Caller in an exclusive interview Thursday that Assange is hoping to leave the Ecuadorian embassy in London where he is currently in asylum, and that during the meeting they explored ”what might be necessary to get him out."

The congressman told TheDC that ”if [Assange] is going to give us a big favor, he would obviously have to be pardoned to leave the Ecuadorian embassy." Assange took asylum in the embassy in August 2012 after facing sexual assault charges in Sweden. The Justice Department also reportedly wants to charge Assange for helping Edward Snowden, a former NSA analyst, leak thousands of classified documents.

”He has information that will be of dramatic importance to the United States and the people of our country as well as to our government," Rohrabacher said. ”Thus if he comes up with that, you know he's going to expect something in return. He can't even leave the embassy to get out to Washington to talk to anybody if he doesn't have a pardon. Obviously there is an issue there that needs to be dealt with, but we haven't come to any conclusion yet."

COME THE FUCK ON

That's not all surprising considering that he is a Russian stooge
Oh for sure. I'm just imagining Trump pardoning Assange in exchange for fabricated DNC hack info that coincidentally exculpates him in the Russia collusion narrative.

What does Trump's CIA director Pompeo think of all this, considering he's called Wikileaks a hostile intelligence service working with Russia?

Teggy

Wow, those are some words I didn't expect to see come from any GOP operative ever

I think we may have reached the turning point.

Except he is basically saying he wants trump to run interference for them with controversy. Doesn't think it will affect them.

Who is that?

Holocaust denier and all around terrible person Chuck C Johnson with Rohrabacher.

https://medium.com/@vanzorn/to-our-...s-in-israel-and-around-the-world-ff421a1d325d

This Michael Chabon column is 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Teggy

I'm pretty sure the WP was a troll started by 4chan and not a real thing. However, it is absolutely a Pepe/alt-right/Trump reference.

Sianos

*is in meetings all morning*

*checks twitter*

Nightly, or if more convenient weekly, recap posts of the tremendous deluge of fuckery would be very much appreciated, and probably would help a little with the sentiment that it's hard to focus on working with the fuckery unfolding by the hour.

Teggy

The $15 minimum wage is killing Seattle. Something must be done.

Jon Talton @jontalton
WA state unemployment record low 4.5 percent in July, 3.5 percent in Seattle metro division. See @seattletimes for more.
1:55 PM · Aug 16, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom