• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakeon

So is trump going to publicly pardon arpio at this rally?
Not much of a better way to signal to your base "f**k Mexicans" without actually saying "f**k Mexicans" out loud.
At least Arpaio finally got voted out. I guess that'll have to be consolation enough. Well, until Trump appoints him to run DHS... (Or tries)

Ogodei

At least Arpaio finally got voted out. I guess that'll have to be consolation enough. Well, until Trump appoints him to run DHS... (Or tries)

The guy's in his 80s. He's really not fit for a new appointment to an office, even if he wasn't a shitburger of a person.

Zolo

At this point, I imagine Trump would pardon him if only for all the people who advised him not to. Kinda like the recent politico article that said a big part of his motivation for tweeting the transgender ban was people advising him not to, and he felt he needed to show who was boss.

lenovox1

DHrya42VwAEAZiA.jpg:small

$10 an hour? That's it? That's nowhere close to the SAG rate for background actors. Scale for background actors is $162. Can't even offer $100?

Drakeon

The guy's in his 80s. He's really not fit for a new appointment to an office, even if he wasn't a shitburger of a person.
It's not logical, but when has that ever stopped Trump?

Arpaio might be just divisive enough to get blocked in the Senate though.

It just seems like the exact thing he'd try to do with his hardon for immigration.

So is trump going to publicly pardon arpio at this rally?
Not much of a better way to signal to your base "f**k Mexicans" without actually saying "f**k Mexicans" out loud.
It'll be a huge middle finger to Latinos, the Justice Department, the rule of law, and to the county taxpayers that are on the hook for $70+ million because of that asshole.

Trump way underwater in PA WI MI in new NBC / Marist poll

MI: 36% approve
PA: 35%
WI: 34%

Congressional generic:

MI: D+13
PA: D+10
WI: D+8

Has Donald Trump’s behavior embarrassed you or made you proud:

MI: 64% embarrassed 28% proud
PA: 63%/25%
WI: 64%/25%
Mm, I like those Michigan generic ballot numbers. I'd have to see how it stacks up against previous years, but Michigan has the potential for its gerrymander to backfire hard against the GOP.

Good news too for Stabenow, Casey and Baldwin. The MI House is also potentially in play next year.

Drakeon

So he's doing it then, gotcha

Seriously though, wouldn't him doing that just help the Dems kick Flake out in 2018? Seems moronic.

I'm not really sure this hurts Flake, but I'd love to be wrong. Also, it's not like Trump would put any thought into this move aside from it grabbing headlines and appealing to his anti-immigrant base.

jtb

Banned
I could see Flake losing his own primary. He's a terrible incumbent who's pissed off just about every constituency he could. His approvals are in the toilet.

Trump tweeted in support of Kelli Ward so I expect him to endorse her at this rate.

Maybe he can endorse Tarkanian against Heller, too. A year when the GOP should have gained like 8 seats could instead bring them to a tie. How delectable.

Drakeon

Trump tweeted in support of Kelli Ward so I expect him to endorse her at this rate.

Maybe he can endorse Tarkanian against Heller, too. A year when the GOP should have gained like 8 seats could instead bring them to a tie. How delectable.

If the approval ratings keep tanking I don't see why we couldn't actually get to 51. I don't see a path yet, but Trump creates self-inflicted crisis after self-inflicted crisis, so it's not unreasonable to think he's even more unpopular come Nov 2018 and we get a state we didn't even dream of.

jtb

Banned
Also Collins has to be looking for an exit strategy. She will not survive in 2020 if Trump runs for re-election. I would be perfectly content making some kind of quid-pro-quo deal to clear the field for her in the governor's race.

(Easy for me to say, I don't live in Maine lol)

Also Collins has to be looking for an exit strategy. She will not survive in 2020 if Trump runs for re-election. I would be perfectly content making some kind of quid-pro-quo deal to clear the field for her in the governor's race.

(Easy for me to say, I don't live in Maine lol)

Collins is not going to lose her seat in an election.

How are Murkowski numbers these days?

Probably pretty decent, considering she's built a coalition of Democrats, independents, moderate Republicans, and Alaska Natives - all of whom should be pretty pleased with her vote against the health care legislation.

Collins is not going to lose her seat in an election.

Right. Maine has semi-open primaries, so she has little chance of losing to someone farther right. Like Murkowski, Collins has created a durable coalition in her state. She'll have an office in Maine as long as she wants it.

jtb

Banned
Even "brand name" Senators with great approvals and favorables can get shown the door in a wave election. Just because she survived 08 doesn't mean she'd survive 2020

Anyways, I guess it's all a moot point since Maine vacancies are appointed by governors without special election.

Even "brand name" Senators with great approvals and favorables can get shown the door in a wave election. Just because she survived 08 doesn't mean she'd survive 2020

Anyways, I guess it's all a moot point since Maine vacancies are appointed by governors without special election.

"Survive" seems a bit strong when Collins garnered over 60% of the vote even as Obama carried her state handily. She's never come anywhere close to losing.

"Survive" seems a bit strong when Collins garnered over 60% of the vote even as Obama carried her state handily. She's never come anywhere close to losing.

I do think the odds are better now though. People back then still bought the "not all republicans are bad" thing that Obama was pushing, but I think more people are pushing back now. Probably not enough to win, but if the election looks bloody, maybe she'll back out and take governor instead. She's gotta hate being a senator right now with these people.

jtb

Banned

We'll see. In this era of hyper-polarization, I don't think she can outrun her party forever and she can't outrun her voting record. How will she explain that she's a vaunted moderate that's going to check Trump's power when she's voted with him 80% of the time?

Just because there are few (no?) analogues to this (other than maybe Chaffee in 06) doesn't mean it's not possible. She hasn't had to defend her seat alongside a GOP incumbent since 02, which (off the top of my head) was the last time she faced a serious challenger?

Kusagari

A new NBC News/Marist poll shows that 36 percent of registered voters in Michigan have a favorable opinion of Kid Rock, whose real name is Robert Ritchie. That's compared to 34 percent who have an unfavorable opinion of him and another 30 percent aren’t sure or haven’t heard of him.

Stabenow, who has held the Senate seat since 2000, is only marginally more popular, with 39 percent of voters giving her a thumbs up, compared to 32 percent who have an unfavorable view.

And at a net positive rating of +2, Ritchie enjoys a sunnier popularity score than either the state’s Republican governor, Rick Snyder, or the nation’s Republican president. Snyder is viewed favorably by 37 percent of voters, while 48 percent view him unfavorably; Donald Trump’s favorability in the Wolverine State is also underwater, at 34 percent favorable, 59 percent unfavorable.

He gets a favorable rating from 44 percent of Republicans in the state, while 25 percent of GOP voters say they aren’t fans. But he performs fairly well with independents (38 percent favorable / 30 percent unfavorable), and he appears to be benefiting from his name recognition among younger voters, who view him positively by a margin of 45 percent to 29 percent. Forty-two percent of white voters without a college degree also rate him positively, compared to 29 percent who disagree.

Cue the Kid Rock hysteria again.

Really democrats need to just roll the dice and do the same thing. Run a crazy celebrity with high name recognition somewhere you would have no chance.

Get the juggalos on the phone

FyreWulff

In all honesty it's going to be real stupid for Kid Rock to run. They're gonna start digging through his life and people will come out of the woodrock due to the attention. Not a smart move for a celebrity, especially when running for Senate and not the House.

In all honesty it's going to be real stupid for Kid Rock to run. They're gonna start digging through his life and people will come out of the woodrock due to the attention. Not a smart move for a celebrity, especially when running for Senate and not the House.
lol I don't think he cares. The man has no shame.

But seriously let's get John Stockton in Utah, Timberlake in Tennessee. Idk. Try something different because generic Dem doesn't win those senate races anyway. GOP is going for it because they have nothing to lose and a typical republican would have zero chance in Michigan in 2018. Where as Kid Rock has a real chance of pulling it off.

If the approval ratings keep tanking I don't see why we couldn't actually get to 51. I don't see a path yet, but Trump creates self-inflicted crisis after self-inflicted crisis, so it's not unreasonable to think he's even more unpopular come Nov 2018 and we get a state we didn't even dream of.
Beyond NV and AZ, we have to look at winning Texas, or picking up McCain's seat in a special election, or a party switch or other unforeseen vacancy (really wish those rumors about Trump appointing Johnson to DHS were meaningful, losing WI really stung and getting another shot at it would be a godsend).

I've long considered bringing the Senate up to a 50/50 tie in Nov 2018 to be a night worth celebrating because I think then we get a party switch, either from Collins or Murkowski. On top of that Collins could very well run for governor and appoint an Independent to her seat. Who knows?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Murkowski is one of the few who could switch to independent and thrive on it.

NeoXChaos

lol I don't think he cares. The man has no shame.

But seriously let's get John Stockton in Utah, Timberlake in Tennessee. Idk. Try something different because generic Dem doesn't win those senate races anyway. GOP is going for it because they have nothing to lose and a typical republican would have zero chance in Michigan in 2018. Where as Kid Rock has a real chance of pulling it off.

Timberlake as in Justin Timberlake?

mXyupD1.gif

I seriously doubt Timberlake will ever run for political office and he'd lose handly if he tried to win statewide.

GrapeApes

No matter how he ends up leaving the WH, Trump is going to be hurt by all the bullshit he did to attain power. The Rust Belt can't afford those premium steaks or whatever bullshit he slaps his name on.
That's why he's got to ramp up the corruption now. There ain't no market for Trump Tower Des Moines. Try to get all the overseas jobs done while his name carries weight.

just the generic congressional ballot numbers is all I was referring to

I didn't see any specific numbers for the senators so I thought you were just referring to the generic ballot polling

Oh there were approvals for all the Senators.

Stabenow: +7
Kid Rock: +2
Snyder: -11

Casey: +12
Barletta: -5 (but only like 25% have heard of him)
Wolf: +10

Baldwin: +5
Walker: -13

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What were Walker's numbers last time he ran for governor?

Cue the Kid Rock hysteria again.

I still don't see them convincing him to do it. It seems like a publicity stunt. He doesn't seem like the type of person to have any interest at all in doing the job they are actually supposed to do.

Timberlake as in Justin Timberlake?

mXyupD1.gif

I seriously doubt Timberlake will ever run for political office and he'd lose handly if he tried to win statewide.
It was a joke but yeah, Kid Rock running is also a joke. But you get what I mean. Generic Dems are losing in these areas anyway so why not try to flip a celebrity with some sort of status and name recognition then in a local election

Wilsongt

Trump way underwater in PA WI MI in new NBC / Marist poll

MI: 36% approve
PA: 35%
WI: 34%

Congressional generic:

MI: D+13
PA: D+10
WI: D+8

Has Donald Trump’s behavior embarrassed you or made you proud:

MI: 64% embarrassed 28% proud
PA: 63%/25%
WI: 64%/25%

Those three states don't deserve to feel embarassed. They should own up to their shittiness for putting us into the dankest timeline.

What were Walker's numbers last time he ran for governor?
Much higher.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/poll-wisconsin-scott-walker-re-election/

As has been documented over and over again, Wisconsin politics are ultra polarized. Voters either love or hate Walker. His approval rating has been between 47 and 51 percent in every Marquette poll from January 2012 to August 2014. Walker won the governorship by 5.8 percentage points in 2010 and won a recall election by 6.8 points in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom