• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I was referring to the part of the religious rural folk getting really mad and wrecking things for everyone else? Acting on a rationale of "decaying civilization" (there: invasion of white people and culture, here: invasion of nonwhite people and culture)

Yes, and in this case the religious rural folks were reacting to the brutal depredations of the Pahlavi regime, which is why I'm very surprised you'd make that comparison!

kess

Reminder that "pre-katrina Bush" was actually near the start of his 2nd term and he had at that point weathered:

-- 9/11
-- Enron/Worldcom
-- an economic collapse
-- an anthrax scare
-- the DC Sniper
-- the start of the war in Afghanistan and against Al Qaeda
-- the Columbia disaster
-- the Iraq invasion
-- the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner
-- [lots of bullshit about the iraq war, mostly saddam's death and ensuing chaos]
-- and getting reelected.

It's fine to say that Trump is something of a beleaguered lame-duck president where only one more last big disaster would ruin his presidency, but keep in mind JUST HOW MANY DISASTERS Bush both endured and inflicted on the world before the biblical disaster that was Katrina.

Donald ain't faced ANYTHING. He is not ready and we are not ready for the coming chaos.

Imagine if a Deepwater Horizon event happens under Trump. Time to bomb the seafloor!

kirblar

Yes, and in this case the religious rural folks were reacting to the brutal depredations of the Pahlavi regime, which is why I'm very surprised you'd make that comparison!
And yet here in America we don't have a brutal dictatorial regime, yet this statement:
It was easy to galvanize support from student groups and rural communities alike by simply saying your culture is being eroded away
is still holding true!

Context for statements matters!

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2017/PPP_Release_National_82317.pdf

Some good details about 2020 match-ups. Warren leads Trump by 5 points, Booker by 3 points. Harris is tied with Trump. Biden beats Trump by 12 points.

There's this incredible prospect beating Trump by 13 points, though - some guy called Bernie Sanders? Don't know him, but seems like an early front-runner.

What sticks out to me more is that Trump does not cross 40% against any challenger. But is that also the Trump curious voters that hurt us in 2016? Hard to say.

Some good details about 2020 match-ups. Warren leads Trump by 5 points, Booker by 3 points. Harris is tied with Trump. Biden beats Trump by 12 points.

There's this incredible prospect beating Trump by 13 points, though - some guy called Bernie Sanders? Don't know him, but seems like an early front-runner.

Note that Trump's share changes very little from opponent to opponent. The difference is the number of undecideds. That suggests that name recognition is playing a big role here.

I'm a little surprised the GOP hasn't been attempting a character assassination of Bernie.

They must not view him as a threat in 2020. Or are too busy with their own problems to use resources on him.

More confederate monument polling courtesy of PPP:

EXXo8gy.png

CdhOja8.png

0FQ1T1y.png

Unsurprisingly the results are a lot more favorable to moving the monuments when you pose the question this way instead of asking people to choose between letting them remain as a historical symbol or removing them because some people find them offensive.

Slizeezyc

Oh god, I dunno if I can handle the Crab takes in 2020 all over again. It might be too much.

EXXo8gy.png

CdhOja8.png

0FQ1T1y.png

Unsurprisingly the results are a lot more favorable to moving the monuments when you pose the question this way instead of asking people to choose between letting them remain as a historical symbol or removing them because some people find them offensive.

I don't like the term "honoring." It's loaded. Why is it so hard to just say "depicting." Polls keep doing this.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Note that Trump's share changes very little from opponent to opponent. The difference is the number of undecideds. That suggests that name recognition is playing a big role here.

I know, it was tongue-in-cheek. Although I did notice that Kamala Harris loses 13% of African American voters to Trump even accounting for the large portion of Don't Knows, whereas Sanders loses 8% to Trump with a much smaller portion of Don't Knows. That seemed very strange, because it's right on the margin of error and seems to more than just a statistical fluke. Has Harris done something to sour her reception lately I'm not aware of?

I know, it was tongue-in-cheek. Although I did notice that Kamala Harris loses 13% of African American voters to Trump even accounting for the large portion of Don't Knows, whereas Sanders loses 8% to Trump with a much smaller portion of Don't Knows. That seemed very strange, because it's right on the margin of error and seems to more than just a statistical fluke. Has Harris done something to sour her reception lately I'm not aware of?

Maybe people don't know who she is and that she's black.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe people don't know who she is and that she's black.

I'm sort of baffled by the idea there are black voters who'll vote Trump unless the Democratic nominee is either black or Bernie Sanders, but I suppose there's room for everyone in this world.

I'm sort of baffled by the idea there are black voters who'll vote Trump unless the Democratic nominee is either black or Bernie Sanders, but I suppose there's room for everyone in this world.

idk it's a poll in 2017 about an election three years from now and trying to parse out a difference of 5% of a small sample size is probably a Bad Idea.

Kusagari

Kasich does worse against Trump in a primary than Cruz.

The GOP base hates his guts at this point. I don't see how he gains traction in a primary.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
idk it's a poll in 2017 about an election three years from now and trying to parse out a difference of 5% of a small sample size is probably a Bad Idea.

Oh, sure, it's probably not meaningful in the long-run, but some people actually exist who answered in that pattern. I'd love to have just a 5 minute chat with them to find out their reasoning!

Kasich does worse against Trump in a primary than Cruz.

The GOP base hates his guts at this point. I don't see how he gains traction in a primary.

Makes you wonder what the 2024 GOP candidate will look like.

Random celebs and businessmen are going to try to recreate Trump's "magic" and it's going to be a mess.

kirblar

@jacobinmag

In Russia 1917, ordinary rural people took direct action to remake their world.
a) this did not go well
b) non-rural people are not "ordinary" implication, because of course they'd think that

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
a) this did not go well
b) non-rural people are not "ordinary" implication, because of course they'd think that

What? The Russian Revolution was driven by the urban classes. The peasants were some of the most staunchly loyal to the Tsar. That 'ordinary' is attached mostly to city-dwellers and Russia's ethnic minority population.

yeah, but then...

@jacobinmag
In Russia 1917, ordinary rural people took direct action to remake their world.

https://jacobinmag.com/2017/08/1917-peasant-revolutions-russia-serfs-bolsheviks

(I get the idea that left wing voters are genuinely suspicious of politicians elected through a coalition of Clinton-esque suburbanites and rich urban voters because they aren't beholden to caring about working people, but the fellating of rural voters has now come full circle to 60s/70s left wing politics of making excuse for the USSR)

((Also, this is not true?))

kirblar

Oh, sure, it's probably not meaningful in the long-run, but some people actually exist who answered in that pattern. I'd love to have just a 5 minute chat with them to find out their reasoning!
You don't need to. Just look at Warren's numbers and you'll have it. (edit: see also them having the same pattern w/ white people!)
What? The Russian Revolution was driven by the urban classes. The peasants were some of the most staunchly loyal to the Tsar. That 'ordinary' is attached mostly to city-dwellers and Russia's ethnic minority population.
When they're talking about "Ordinary Rural (white) People", they're not really talking about Russians!

EXXo8gy.png

CdhOja8.png

0FQ1T1y.png

I expect the afternoon right wing radio station to ignore this and continue peddling the other poll to push the "fringe left" narrative.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That Jacobin article isn't very good, I don't think. It doesn't really make clear the distinction between what the peasantry, in the sense of the rural agricultural class, and the proletarian, in terms of the urban working class, wanted, and how they were very different 'revolutions'.

He's the vice president. He's got one foot in the establishment and one foot in with the crazies. Who is a credible threat to Pence in a primary?

He'll either be a nobody who hadn't had a job in 4 years, or a vice president of a tired, hated president with a poor record who overstayed his welcome.

He won't be in a very good position either way.

Wilsongt

The Republican Party of Virginia on Wednesday attacked the Democratic candidate for governor, Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam, for calling for the removal of Confederate statues from public spaces and their relocation into museums.

In two tweets the state GOP said that Northam was betraying his “heritage” by backing the removal of statues that represent slavery. The Democratic candidate had found out in recent months that his ancestors, who were farmers on Virginia’s Eastern Shore, owned slaves.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/virginia-gop-northam-monuments-betraying-heritage

Blader

I mean, it's 2024. That's a long way off to be confident who will be the nominee.

I mean, he's the vice president. Vice presidents usually run for president and win the nomination. Nixon, Johnson, Humphrey, Ford, Mondale, HW, Gore, and Biden who would have run were it not for his son's death (though whether he would have win the nomination I'm much less sure of). Yes it's a ways off, but history seems to back up the notion of vice presidents running for president and winning their party's nomination for president.

balladofwindfishes said:
He'll either be a nobody who hadn't had a job in 4 years, or a vice president of a tired, hated president with a poor record who overstayed his welcome.

He won't be in a very good position either way.

Well I'm not saying he'd win the election :p

kirblar

https://twitter.com/VA_GOP/status/899695567001006081

https://twitter.com/VA_GOP/status/899717902265450496
Virginia GOP (RPV)‏Verified account @VA_GOP Aug 21

Virginia GOP (RPV) Retweeted Tom Perriello
.@RalphNortham Hey, do you believe religious bigotry is okay when White Evangelicals are targeted? 30% of VA's population? @LVozzellaVirginia GOP (RPV) added,

Tom PerrielloVerified account @tomperriello
The devil has his grip so firmly around @JerryFalwellJr that I'm praying for his exorcism. #Repent
------
Virginia GOP (RPV)‏Verified account @VA_GOP Aug 21

Virginia GOP (RPV) Retweeted Tom Perriello
.@tomperriello Let's not mince words: you are a Christian-hating bigot We were better off when you were out of the country #LeftWingBigotVirginia GOP (RPV) added,

Tom PerrielloVerified account @tomperriello
White evangelical leaders, your whiteness is the golden calf you choose to worship and idolize, in blasphemy of God's word. #RepentNow
Corey Stewart won the war.

I mean, if I had to guess who the Republican nominee would be in 2024 Pence would be a good guess, but I wouldn't assign near certainty to it. Sometimes the natural pick seven years out is the nominee and sometimes not. Go back to 2009 and I think a lot of people would guess Hillary Clinton as the Democratic nominee in 2016, but who would pick Donald Trump to be the Republican nominee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom