• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

This seems much more likely to succeed in my opinion. Its attacking the rational and process rather than trying to in essence create new law by extending transgender protections (I think the law does this and transgender should be a protected class but the courts haven't seemed to rule that way and theirs no federal statute to that effect)

I'm the opposite. I think without concrete evidence there's actual harm, there's no way they can undo this. And I have not see any measurable harm in this situation.

He can just say the DOD didn't do the right studies and the status quo should prevail until they can figure this out. The DOD policy is new, I literally july 2016? and they still weren't even allowed to join until july this year? So maybe a months worth of recruits?

And the ban allows for the continuation of the service of current members if the DOD will allow it, which I'm sure they will.

So theirs no change the status quo, just new recruits can't serve and I don't see lamda prevailing on that against the DOJ/DOD saying they can't ensure this wouldn't hurt the forces (again, their wrong but legally its gonna be hard, without any kind of precedent to over rule a national security decision).

NoName999

This is quite the read:

President Trump and the Baby-Sitters Club

"You treat me like a baby! Am I like a baby to you? I sit there like a little baby and watch TV and you talk to me?"
-Donald Trump to Paul Manafort in "Devil’s Bargain," by Joshua Green.

Why does Mr. Trump’s team treat him like a kid? He is the president of the United States and, as he says, “you’re not.” He lives in the White House, where he gets two scoops of ice cream instead of one for dessert. He is commander in chief, eating “the most beautiful piece of chocolate cake” with the Chinese president while he fires missiles at Syria. As he told the Russians, “people brief me on great intel every day,” with lots of pictures and “tweet-length sentences.” He has a “beautiful Twitter account.” Uh-oh!

Mr. Trump’s staff can’t control him, so they coddle him. They make sure he starts his day with a packet of good news about himself, compiled by Republicans who get up early to search for positive stories, headlines, tweets or, failing those, flattering photos. “Maybe it’s good for the country that the president is in a good mood in the morning,” one of the Republicans said.

Mr. Trump likes “unstructured time” to watch TV. His favorite station is Fox News Channel but he’ll watch any show where they talk about him. If they say something bad about him, he tweets. That makes everyone nervous. His staffers try to limit his screen time during the day and keep him from “calling old friends and then tweeting about it.” But then it’s off to bed with his phone, and “once he goes upstairs, there’s no managing him.” Uh-oh!
Mr. Trump says being president is harder than being a real estate tycoon, because, “These are heavy decisions,” and when you’re the president, “people want more and more.” They also try to stop you from doing things you want to do. Boo!

Failing to pass any big legislation, tangling with the courts on his executive orders, worrying about the F.B.I. investigation into his team’s contacts with Russia makes Mr. Trump grouchy. He screams at the television, at staffers, and at Republican legislators, demanding that somebody make it stop. But when Mr. Trump’s advisers tell him what he might do, he likes doing the opposite — like when he fired James Comey, the director of the F.B.I., or stared at the solar eclipse. After he blurted out secrets to Russian officials in the Oval Office, his team worried about “leaving him alone in meetings with foreign leaders.” H. R. Mc Master, the national security adviser, tries to correct the president and keep him out of trouble. The president calls General Mc Master “a pain.”

When Mr. Trump has one of those “moods where sometimes he wants to blow everything up,” his staff takes him outside. He sat in an 18-wheeler in the White House driveway one time. “Honk, honk!” went the horn. He sat in a red fire truck, too. “Where’s the fire?” Mr. Trump asked Vice President Mike Pence. “Put it out fast!” Mr. Trump went to Saudi Arabia, where they gave him steak and ketchup and put his photo on the side of a building. But most of all Mr. Trump likes when his staff plans field trips to rallies in red states, where he can campaign for president again.

Those rallies are fun, but back at the White House, nothing gets done and the president’s worn-out minders are warring among themselves.

So they got John Kelly to be the White House chief of staff and enforce new house rules. Mr. Kelly makes sure the Oval Office door stays closed, keeping the president inside and the staff and random buddies out. No more visiting Mr. Trump without an appointment — that means you, too, Ivanka! No more back-stabbing. No more slipping the president goofy website stories that he confuses with facts. No more secretive executive orders, and no official phone calls without Mr. Kelly on the line. No more impromptu events. No more Mooch. And no more Bannon.

But Mr. Trump keeps getting into trouble. He says the wrong things about neo-Nazis, and threatens to shut down the government unless Congress gives him money for the border wall that he said Mexico would pay for. He is bullying his allies and stomping all over his agenda. And, oh, does he tweet and yell.

Mr. Kelly is a tough guy. He was a general in the Marine Corps and commanded American troops in Iraq. He has gotten the White House staff under control, but not the president. A few days ago, he said he wouldn’t even try. Uh-oh!

Hahahaha.... it hurts so much hahaha...
weeps

pigeon

Banned
I agree that the policy is stupid. But I'm not confident in it prevailing in court.

Even under strict scrutiny the courts tend to defer to national defense arguments. Unless there is a copious amount of evidence that trans service men and women don't affect the miltary at all (which I think is obvious, but they've only been opening serving since 2015). A court is not gonna want to second guess generals.

That being said, the animus argument might be pretty decent but still think they're gonna defer to the military.

Except the generals don't support this plan. Do you expect them to testify under oath that banning transgender people is vital to national security?

Fox318

Only way things progress for people who are Transgender is for them to come out and show people that they are normal humans.

Part of the reason approval of Same-Sex marriage improved was because a ton of people suddenly discovered they had a gay family member.

Except the generals don't support this plan. Do you expect them to testify under oath that banning transgender people is vital to national security?

Most people at the DOJ don't support the travel ban. They argued for it.

And generals won't testify. They'll write reports and regulations that the DOJ will argue say one thing.

And generals tend to do what they're told

Only way things progress for people who are Transgender is for them to come out and show people that they are normal humans.

Part of the reason approval of Same-Sex marriage improved was because a ton of people suddenly discovered they had a gay family member.

I get this argument, and I think it played a large part. But I think this sometimes can feel like its downplaying the political organization, direct action, lawsuits and work the LGBT community did to directly pressure politicians who lead policy changes. It wasn't just the kindness of straight people who realized they knew gay people (that war largely true in the 90s when gay people became more visible in media), we still had 2004 and 2008. The public largely changed when the politicians of their "tribe" did

Trump press conference at 4:20EDT. For once I want to actually hear what his plans for a thing are and not just roll eyes at my TV. Saying "we'll send them more stuff" by itself is not a good enough answer in this situation.

So Trump will sign an EO today lifting the ban on military equipment going to local police jurisdictions. Something Obama put in place after Ferguson. Sessions announced it this morning and his justification is well...

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...bama-ban-on-police-getting-military-equipment

”Those restrictions went too far," Sessions said Monday. ”We will not put superficial concerns above public safety. All you need to do is turn on a TV right now to see that for Houstonians this isn't about appearances, it's about getting the job done and getting everyone to safety."

What the fuck do armored vehicles, grenade launchers, armed aircraft, bayonets and guns and ammunition of .50 caliber or higher have to do with getting people to safety during a hurricane? Sessions tries to tie this shit in with first responder equipment but give me a fucking break. Politicize much?

I don't understand how this isn't bigger news:

An historic natural disaster is ongoing in Texas and Louisiana. People's lives are in peril. People have lost everything.

Meanwhile, the companies Trump owns are using Twitter to pimp properties in Uruguay and Los Angeles. It's stunningly tone deaf.

So Trump will sign an EO today lifting the ban on military equipment going to local police jurisdictions. Something Obama put in place after Ferguson. Sessions announced it this morning and his justification is well...

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...bama-ban-on-police-getting-military-equipment

What the fuck do armored vehicles, grenade launchers, armed aircraft, bayonets and guns and ammunition of .50 caliber or higher have to do with getting people to safety during a hurricane? Sessions tries to tie this shit in with first responder equipment but give me a fucking break. Politicize much?

We're going to nuke the water away.

ShOcKwAvE

Trump's approval on Gallup today is 35/60 which is pretty impressive as it's been that exactly for the last three days.

It seems like the current floor until something else major happens. I honestly think it will go up slightly after the Harvey response is factored in, whether he deserves it or not.

This is the big one.

Email from Felix Sater to Cohen said:
”Our boy can become president of the USA and we can engineer it," Mr. Sater wrote in an email. ”I will get all of Putins team to buy in on this, I will manage this process."

NYT: Trump Associate Boasted That Moscow Business Deal ‘Will Get Donald Elected'

WASHINGTON — A business associate of President Trump promised in 2015 to engineer a real estate deal with the aid of the president of Russia, Vladimir V. Putin, that he said would help Mr. Trump win the presidency.

The business associate, Felix Sater, wrote a series of emails to Mr. Trump's lawyer, Michael Cohen, in which he boasted about his ties to Mr. Putin and predicted that building a Trump Tower in Moscow would be a political boon to Mr. Trump's candidacy.

”Our boy can become president of the USA and we can engineer it," Mr. Sater wrote in an email. ”I will get all of Putins team to buy in on this, I will manage this process."

The emails show that, from the earliest months of Mr. Trump's campaign, some of his associates viewed close ties with Moscow as a political advantage. Those ties are now under investigation by the Justice Department and multiple congressional committees.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/us/politics/trump-tower-putin-felix-sater.html

WASHINGTON — A business associate of President Trump promised in 2015 to engineer a real estate deal with the aid of the president of Russia, Vladimir V. Putin, that he said would help Mr. Trump win the presidency.

The business associate, Felix Sater, wrote a series of emails to Mr. Trump's lawyer, Michael Cohen, in which he boasted about his ties to Mr. Putin and predicted that building a Trump Tower in Moscow would be a political boon to Mr. Trump's candidacy.

The emails show that, from the earliest months of Mr. Trump's campaign, some of his associates viewed close ties with Moscow as a political advantage. Those ties are now under investigation by the Justice Department and multiple congressional committees.

There is no evidence in the emails that Mr. Sater delivered on his promises. Mr. Sater, a Russian immigrant, was a broker for the Trump Organization at the time, which means he was paid to deliver real estate deals.

In another email, Mr. Sater envisioned a ribbon-cutting in Moscow. ”I will get Putin on this program and we will get Donald elected," Mr. Sater wrote.

Mr. Cohen suggested that Mr. Sater's comments were puffery. ”He has sometimes used colorful language and has been prone to ‘salesmanship,' " Mr. Cohen said in a statement. ”I ultimately determined that the proposal was not feasible and never agreed to make a trip to Russia."

Mr. Sater presented himself as so influential in Russia that he helped arrange a 2006 trip that Mr. Trump's daughter, Ivanka, took to Moscow. ”I arranged for Ivanka to sit in Putins private chair at his desk and office in the Kremlin," he said.

Ms. Trump said she had no involvement in the discussions about the Moscow deal. In a statement, she said she that during the 2006 trip, she took ”a brief tour of Red Square and the Kremlin but I have never met President Vladimir Putin." She did not say whether she sat in his chair.

I don't understand how this isn't bigger news:

An historic natural disaster is ongoing in Texas and Louisiana. People's lives are in peril. People have lost everything.

Meanwhile, the companies Trump owns are using Twitter to pimp properties in Uruguay and Los Angeles. It's stunningly tone deaf.

It's almost like he could have avoided the latter problem if he merely divested himself of any interest in those properties, like any reasonable person would do!

How is the loss of jobs for thousands not measurable harm?
about the transgender ban?

the ban doesn't force them out necessarily. and even then. a compelling reason can make it legal.

they're a lot of ways the courts can stop trump but we shouldn't expect them to stop his worse act. sometimes they might make it easier for him

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If Sater has truly flipped like the rumors state and that wasn't just bravado, it may be over for Trump's presidency. That's pretty damning, and there would be a money trail a mile long for something like that.

If Sater has truly flipped like the rumors state and that wasn't just bravado, it may be over for Trump's presidency. That's pretty damning, and there would be a money trail a mile long for something like that.

I would imagine the offer of a pardon would be useless in Sater's case as the Feds could probably nail him on any of a thousand different things they have on him.

Trump's approval on Gallup today is 35/60 which is pretty impressive as it's been that exactly for the last three days.

And the two days before that were 34/60, so that is an impressively small amount of movement. More fun with the numbers, that makes six days in the past week at 60 disapproving. He's had nine days at 60 disapprove or above total. Seems like this is the new normal for Trump post-Charlottesville, and a continuation of his steady decline.

pigeon

Banned
Most people at the DOJ don't support the travel ban. They argued for it.

And generals won't testify. They'll write reports and regulations that the DOJ will argue say one thing.

And generals tend to do what they're told

There's a big difference between a ban on Muslim travelers, which has a built-in constituency in ICE (which exists to persecute immigrants) and targets a group of people who intrinsically have no power base in America, and a ban on transgender service in the military, which cuts against a lot of military values and targets people who are currently serving and thus their fellow servicepeople. Basically, I think it's easier in today's America to stigmatize Muslims than transgender soldiers.

Also, Trump got a lot of help with the travel ban from the fact that he explicitly campaigned on it and thus people could rationalize it as being the will of the American people.

Also, of course, it doesn't help that he burned a lot of bridges by explicitly saying Nazis are fine people.

kirblar

No way Haley takes the SoS job. She loses the independence she currently has and goes down with the ship politically when Trump crashes.

No way Haley takes the SoS job. She loses the independence she currently has and goes down with the ship politically when Trump crashes.
Yeah, anyone getting on board with Trump now is basically committing political suicide. This is why speculation about Manchin joining the administration that flares up every few months or so is so dumb.

More oppoium:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5aebac-8c16-11e7-84c0-02cc069f2c37_story.html

Top Trump Organization executive asked Putin aide for help on business deal

A top executive from Donald Trump’s real estate company emailed Vladi­mir Putin’s personal spokesman during the U.S. presidential campaign last year to ask for help advancing a stalled Trump Tower development project in Moscow, according to documents submitted to Congress Monday.

Michael Cohen, a Trump attorney and executive vice president for the Trump Organization, sent the email in January 2016 to Dmitry Peskov, the Kremlin’s top press aide.

“Over the past few months I have been working with a company based in Russia regarding the development of a Trump Tower - Moscow project in Moscow City,” Cohen wrote Peskov, according to a person familiar with the email. “Without getting into lengthy specifics the communication between our two sides has stalled.”

“As this project is too important, I am hereby requesting your assistance. I respectfully request someone, preferably you, contact me so that I might discuss the specifics as well as arranging meetings with the appropriate individuals. I thank you in advance for your assistance and look forward to hearing from you soon,” Cohen wrote.

A bit weaker oppoium

God, Texas fucks up Trump's agenda so badly.

A government shutdown now of all times is not a credible threat and the recovery is going to be SO FUCKNG EXPENSIVE.

Good luck trying to whip votes for a fucking useless wall.

Who says?

xam2dOI.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom