• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of PRESIDENT OBAMA's First 100 Out of the Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

Tyrone Slothrop said:
i find limbaugh a perplexing figure. all he really does is bitch about liberals and not really have much if any of his own input. why does he get 33 mil a year to do that shit. at least sean hannity kind of goes of on diatribes about what it means to have "american values," as much of a crock as it is. all rush does is hate.

i guess he's the quintessential reagan revolution figure. sticking to something that happened 20 years ago and not letting go despite a changed world.

Yeah that's why Sean Hannity was in a Nevada brothel. Reeeeeaaaaalllllyyy...

hanipros.jpg

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Fox318 said:
Love him or hate him the man revitalized talk radio. Leo Laporte wouldn't be on had it not been for him.

also here's some Conservative cartoons( 1st on is by Eric Allie( who I think is a dick))

%7b08da1400-23c2-4353-940f-99ae05634305%7d.gif

...the fuck? how can you even put out a cartoon like that. Our gov't got HUGE under Bush. HUGE!

Extollere said:
is that Rush too on the left with the cigar, lol if so... God Jesus, I hate those men.

No... that's the owner of the Bunny Ranch. I know this because he has HBO shows once in a while about the ranch.

Fox318

also read this about the owner according to wikipedia. Also to be a little fair to hannity it appears he was there for an interview

Hof was interviewed on FOX News in December 2007[citation needed] for his support for Republican Party presidential candidate Congressman Ron Paul in the Republican caucus in Nevada. "Pimpin' for Paul" was a deal that provided two bunnies for one; campaign donations were collected for Paul.

eznark

Banned
Clevinger said:
what? it's the second time since like yesterday of reading this thread where he's called him Barry, and I notice it on conservative blogs and message boards all the time

i'm just wondering why

To be perfectly honest I started doing it during the primaries. I could never remember if it was Barack or Barak. No sinister motives, just poor memory.

EDIT: Just read the rest of the thread, re: Limbaugh. I do occasionally listen, usually on Friday's because that's when he lets his most fervent nutter fans on which is hilarious. Just as often I listen to Randi Rhodes, who is the craziest person on "mainstream" radio and downright hysterical. I am almost positive that is where I picked up Barry.

I always thought "Barry" was a dig at him for refusing to be called barack though High school. A way to imply that he was hypocrytical for going back and forth between his given name and his Americanized Nick Name.

At least that's what I picked up from the audible scorn when some conservatives would say it.

Jackl

Extollere said:
...the fuck? how can you even put out a cartoon like that. Our gov't got HUGE under Bush. HUGE!

Hence why moderate conservatives won't touch the party anymore.

They can croon all day about how they're fiscally conservative, and for the reduction of the public sector. But the GOPs record for decades states otherwise. We're not buying it anymore.

Cute how they're up in arms over costly proposals now when it isn't pushed by the party.

Then again, the way we're going through money currently does make the previous years seem conservative >.>

Tamanon

Banned
So, is Michael Goldfarb insane?

He was McCain's "blogger" and the guy who would randomly gete pwned by Rick Sanchez during the campaign.

http://jeffreygoldberg.theatlantic.com/archives/2009/01/i_think_michael_goldfarb_might.php

"It's unbelievable the way the media has covered this and the way has been played -- which is partly from the bullshit inside the campaign. When you have The New Yorker write a story about how Sarah Palin was selected... well, that was like Jane Goodall going in and writing about fucking apes mating in the jungle--they don't know what's going on. They're writing from another planet. I like Sarah Palin, I think she was a very attractive candidate, but I think she made a lot of mistakes. But so did Biden."

Wha? Of all things, Jane Goodall? Who actually LEARNED something from what she studied and contributed greatly.

Fox318 said:
also here's some Conservative cartoons( 1st on is by Eric Allie( who I think is a dick))

%7b08da1400-23c2-4353-940f-99ae05634305%7d.gif
See, I don't even get this. Obama won a majority of American votes, so if Obama is for bigger government than the headline should be "Majority of Americans want bigger government."

Oh wait Republican persecution complex

Tamanon

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
See, I don't even get this. Obama won a majority of American votes, so if Obama is for bigger government than the headline should be "Majority of Americans want bigger government."

Oh wait Republican persecution complex

Nah, it's citing one of the Rasmussen polls from a while ago. You can get the public to support anything if you word the question right. I mean look at all the dueling EFCA/card-check polls that are drastically different based on how the proposal is presented.:lol

Aaron Strife said:
I think it is referring to the amount of people who didn't want all this bailout/stimulus stuff.

Tom_Cody

electricpirate said:
I always thought "Barry" was a dig at him for refusing to be called barack though High school. A way to imply that he was hypocrytical for going back and forth between his given name and his Americanized Nick Name.

At least that's what I picked up from the audible scorn when some conservatives would say it.

Right. He used to prefer Barry, then at some point in his young adult life he changed his preference.

Mumei

Hollywood Duo said:
I think it is referring to the amount of people who didn't want all this bailout/stimulus stuff.

It is referring to the fact that Americans have consistently, and for a long time, said, if asked, that they prefer smaller government.

Of course, if you ask them item-by-item whether they want government to do A, B, C, etc., they want government to do all of it.

oversimplified, but more or less

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Extollere said:

I love the hypocrisy myself. It's like they believe that so long as they keep SAYING they're for smaller government, that makes it true or something, despite what they actually DID the last 8 years.

I sometimes think they only want smaller Government when Dems are in charge. You know, so they can't get shit done.

eznark

Banned
Stimulating!
Democrats may have eliminated provisions on birth control and sod for the National Mall in the "job stimulus" -- but buried on page 147 of the bill is stimulation for prevention of sexually transmitted diseases!

The House Democrats' bill includes $335 million for sexually transmitted disease education and prevention programs at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

In the past, the CDC has used STD education funding for programs that many Members of Congress find objectionable and arguably unrelated to a mission of economic stimulus [such as funding events called 'Booty Call' and 'Great Sex' put on by an organization that received $698,000 in government funds.]

"Whether this funding has merit is not the question; the point is it has no business in an economic plan supposedly focused on job creation," says a stimulated Hill source.

Deku

Banned
RurouniZel said:
I love the hypocrisy myself. It's like they believe that so long as they keep SAYING they're for smaller government, that makes it true or something, despite what they actually DID the last 8 years.

I sometimes think they only want smaller Government when Dems are in charge. You know, so they can't get shit done.

Here's how a typical republican works.

-For Smaller Government
-Al-Qaeda + Terrorist / Fighting Communism / Unspecified Bogeyman
-Grows Government to immense size and then Cuts Taxes
-Still says they are for smaller government

Basically its the thought that counts.

Deku said:
Here's how a typical republican works.

-For Smaller Government
-Al-Qaeda + Terrorist / Fighting Communism / Unspecified Bogeyman
-Grows Government to immense size and then Cuts Taxes
-Still says they are for smaller government

Basically its the thought that counts.
-abortion regulations
-drug regulations
-marriage regulations

BIG BIG BIG government

FAIL FAIL FAIL when it comes to keeping government small and fighting terrorism

Republicans and democrats are both equally corrupt. You know how much crap they're putting into this spending bill? And the GOP is only opposed to it because it's not their crap, but the democrats crap. And if they all supported it, they would lose the power of the opposition. I'm not sure what the concept is called but it's like how the democrats can always consistently rely on African Americans' votes, so when election time comes around you rarely hear them talking about pro-black and urban issues cause they know they will get the votes no matter what (this election was different cause Obama is black but how much did Kerry or Gore talk about this stuff?). So they can't cave or they lose their leverage to get their own corrupt agenda in at some point in the future.

Anyway, the bill is just more spending, more debt, more corruption. Who wins? The lobbyists, the corporations, the special interests.

Synth_floyd said:
Republicans and democrats are both equally corrupt. You know how much crap they're putting into this spending bill? And the GOP is only opposed to it because it's not their crap, but the democrats crap. And if they all supported it, they would lose the power of the opposition. I'm not sure what the concept is called but it's like how the democrats can always consistently rely on African Americans' votes, so when election time comes around you rarely hear them talking about pro-black and urban issues cause they know they will get the votes no matter what (this election was different cause Obama is black but how much did Kerry or Gore talk about this stuff?).

Anyway, the bill is just more spending, more debt, more corruption. Who wins? The lobbyists, the corporations, the special interests.
your cynicism is healthy yet ridiculously inflated

Synth_floyd said:
Republicans and democrats are both equally corrupt. You know how much crap they're putting into this spending bill? And the GOP is only opposed to it because it's not their crap, but the democrats crap. And if they all supported it, they would lose the power of the opposition. I'm not sure what the concept is called but it's like how the democrats can always consistently rely on African Americans' votes, so when election time comes around you rarely hear them talking about pro-black and urban issues cause they know they will get the votes no matter what (this election was different cause Obama is black but how much did Kerry or Gore talk about this stuff?).

*slow clap*

Tamanon

Banned
Huh....did Obama set off a mini-war in the GOP right as the RNC was fighting for its chair with the Rush comment?

"I mean, it's easy if you're Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh or even sometimes Newt Gingrich to stand back and throw bricks. You don't have to try to do what's best for your people and your party.You know you're just on these talk shows and you're living well and plus you stir up a bit of controversy and gin the base and that sort of thing. But when it comes to true leadership, not that these people couldn't be or wouldn't be good leaders, they're not in that position of John Boehner or Mitch McConnell," - Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-Ga.), head of the Republican Study Committee.

And then.....

http://gingrey.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=109616

Because of the high volume of phone calls and correspondence received by my office since the Politico article ran, I wanted to take a moment to speak directly to grassroots conservatives. Let me assure you, I am one of you. I believe I was sent to Washington to fight for and defend our traditional values of smaller government, lower taxes, a strong national defense, and the lives of the unborn. In my six years in Washington, I have led the charge on many of these issues. In fact, in 2008 The National Journal ranked me the #1 most conservative Member of the House of Representatives.

As long as I am in the Congress, I will continue to fight for and defend our sacred values. I have actively opposed every bailout, every rebate check, every so called “stimulus.” And on so many of these things, I see eye-to-eye with Rush Limbaugh. Regardless of what yesterday’s headline may have read, I never told Rush to back off. I regret and apologize for the fact that my comments have offended and upset my fellow conservatives—that was not my intent. I am also sorry to see that my comments in defense of our Republican Leadership read much harsher than they actually were intended, but I recognize it is my responsibility to clarify my own comments.

Now more than ever, we need to articulate a clear conservative message that distinguishes our values and our approach from those of liberal Democrats who are seeking to move our nation in the wrong direction. Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Newt Gingrich, and other conservative giants are the voices of the conservative movement’s conscience. Everyday, millions and millions of Americans—myself included—turn on their radios and televisions to listen to what they have to say, and we are inspired by their words and by their determination. At the end of the day, every member of the conservative movement, from our political commentators and thinkers to our elected officials, share an important and common purpose in advancing the cause of liberty, reigning in a bloated federal government, and defending our traditional family values.

:lol

Although it's a shame to equate Newt with Rush or Hannity. Newt at least accomplished some good things.

Jonm1010

Banned
Synth_floyd said:

Have you read the original bill?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Synth_floyd said:

wtf?

I'm also straining to see how this is a furthering of 'corruption'.

Here's another way to put it. How often do presidential candidates campaign in Texas, Alabama, Georgia or South Carolina? And how often do they campaign in Massachusetts, California or New York? Answer: Never because the first set are reliable GOP states and 2nd set are reliable democrat states. Because those states all fall in the party line, they get neglected in terms of what the politicians promise and then dole out after they win their elections. So the states lose their power of leverage in a sense.

scorcho

Synth_floyd said:
Here's another way to put it. How often do presidential candidates campaign in Texas, Alabama, Georgia or South Carolina? And how often do they campaign in Massachusetts, California or New York? Answer: Never because the first set are reliable GOP states and 2nd set are reliable democrat states. Because those states all fall in the party line, they get neglected in terms of what the politicians promise and then dole out after they win their elections.
Obama campaigned hard in historically Republican-voting states this election cycle.

Also, the nature of campaigning is directly related to the electoral system - remove the electoral college and base the Presidential elections on popular vote would open up campaigning. Simultaneously, make the primaries a one-day, nationwide vote and you remove the idiocy of seeing Presidential hopefuls trek to remote parts of the Northeast eating ham in fuzzy sweaters.

Tamanon said:
Although it's a shame to equate Newt with Rush or Hannity. Newt at least accomplished some good things.
:lol awesome quotes

Also, don't forget that Newt has said some equally crazy shit so I don't mind seeing him grouped with Sean and Rush.

Mumei

Synth_floyd said:
Here's another way to put it. How often do presidential candidates campaign in Texas, Alabama, Georgia or South Carolina? And how often do they campaign in Massachusetts, California or New York? Answer: Never because the first set are reliable GOP states and 2nd set are reliable democrat states. Because those states all fall in the party line, they get neglected in terms of what the politicians promise and then dole out after they win their elections. So the states lose their power of leverage in a sense.

Actually, they campaign all the time in California and New York.

woo big donors

Tamanon

Banned
scorcho said:
Obama campaigned hard in historically Republican-voting states this election cycle.

Also, the nature of campaigning is directly related to the electoral system - remove the electoral college and base the Presidential elections on popular vote would open up campaigning. Simultaneously, make the primaries a one-day, nationwide vote and you remove the idiocy of seeing Presidential hopefuls trek to remote parts of the Northeast eating ham in fuzzy sweaters.

Also corn subsidies would die a beautiful glorious death as would corn ethanol.:D

scorcho

The Lamonster said:
Also, don't forget that Newt has said some equally crazy shit so I don't mind seeing him grouped with Sean and Rush.
Newt vacillates between sane and crazy. His debate with Cuomo at Cooper Union a few years back was amazing for its clarity and candor; his work in the Capitol was mostly partisan hackery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom