• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of PRESIDENT OBAMA's First 100 Out of the Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
I like the fact that blacks were one of the least groups to lean more democratic.

Of course that's because they were at 12% republican(a higher number than I thought to begin with):lol

GhaleonEB said:
And look at that "seldom/never" go to church swing. Dems are quickly becoming the party of non-believing heathens.
Or as everyone else likes to rephrase it . . . The non believers did not leave the Republican party, the Republican party left the non believers.

PHOTO May 18, Hillary & Netanyahu

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton meets with Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on May 18, 2009 in Washington DC.

610x.jpg

speculawyer said:
Edit: I chalk it up to fear . . . they fear death enough to believe in an after life and they fear terrorism enough that they condone torture. With that rationalization, the religion really has nothing to do with it.

Bingo. I'm a Christian, but it's typically the Hellfire and Brimstone "Christians" that skew these results. When you consider yourself a Christian out of fear rather than out of love, then there's a real problem, and you end up seeing very un-Christ-like statements and poll results such as this.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...s-on-conservative-principles/#comment-2704082

"The era of apologizing for Republican mistakes of the past is now officially over," Steele will say in a speech to the RNC's 2009 State Chairmen's Meeting, according to excerpts obtained by CNN. "It is done. We have turned the page, we have turned the corner. No more looking in the review mirror. From this point forward, we will focus all of our energies on winning the future."

:lol what? when did they ever apologize for anything?

For some reason, I REALLY expect South Park to pull some "Chewbacca Defense" level stuff with Steele one of these days...dude is such a joke it boggles the mind.

Deus Ex Machina said:
PHOTO May 18, Hillary & Netanyahu

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton meets with Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on May 18, 2009 in Washington DC.

610x.jpg
Looks like a caption contest to me . . . .

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Sleeker said:
Is Steele an undercover democrat?

Ive been wondering that for a while. I think he may have been a plant from years ago, and the sleeper cell was just activated.

I mean, has he done a single thing that was not completely idiotic?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
ElectricThunder said:
For some reason, I REALLY expect South Park to pull some "Chewbacca Defense" level stuff with Steele one of these days...dude is such a joke it boggles the mind.

he's become a caricature.. its hilarious.

mj1108

speculawyer said:
My god . . . the first family photographed with a naked figure. Think of the children! What would John Ashcroft do?

Countdown until some airbag on Faux News pretends to be outraged about it citing that it's "Unamerican" and "Unpatriotic".

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
610x.jpg

Wow that is my boy that is secret service detail in the background... they must have him on the serious workout, he was never that big in school.

Sleeker

Washington, D.C., May 17, 2009: “Never mind what you may hear on television or read in the press, in spite of Obama’s very strong reluctance to pursue the torture issue and the logical prosecution of the highest officials in the former Bush administration, very, very powerful people have taken the issue out of the President’s hands and are setting the stage for what might well prove to be a wholesale criminal prosecution of not only top officials of the Bush presidency but the President himself, very certain the former Vice President, Dick Cheney the former Attorney General, Alberto Gonzales,the former Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld and a host of other luminaries.. Obama recognizes that such a media circus can easily derail his cleverly built support for various liberal programs such as a national health program, control of the banking system and on and on. In every political entity from the government of a small town to the nation, there exists a power elite. Read C. Wright Mills’ book on the subject. It’s dated but very clearly spells out the hidden engines of power in this country. Who are the power elite in this country that are now determined to publicly crush not only the former Bush administration but the leadership of the Republican party as well. I do not pretend to know who are really running things, but it is not the Democratic party and only a few members of Congress. I have seen a number of classified memoranda on this subject and I assure you, when it is leaked, as it certainly will be and very soon, the effect on international opinion of the United States will be devastating, especially in the Muslim community. With the obvious pending collapse of the official government of Pakistan and its replacement by fanatical Muslims of the Taliban, someone is cooking a pot of soup that will be an utter public relations disaster but a media delight.

http://tbrnews.org/Archives/a2944.htm

Sleeker

The guy who posts those weekly updates is a guy who actually works in the Whitehouse, but doesn't release his identity so that his car doesn't unfortunately drive off the side of a cliff. (Bush admin fucking hated him)
He's one of the people they keep on in between Administrations unlike the aides and less significant staff.

He's been online since at least 2004 and has called things way in advance like the Israel Lebanon war, Russia Georgia War, Banking collapse and so forth.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Sleeker said:
The guy who posts those weekly updates is a guy who actually works in the Whitehouse, but doesn't release his identity so that his car doesn't unfortunately drive off the side of a cliff. (Bush admin fucking hated him)
He's one of the people they keep on in between Administrations unlike the aides and less significant staff.

He's been online since at least 2004 and has called things way in advance like the Israel Lebanon war, Russia Georgia War, Banking collapse and so forth.

Yeah but that reads like some Illuminati/show government bullshit.

Binabik15

So if (international) law is upheld and criminals of war punished, terrorists win?

What the fuck?

This thing reads like something Wii or the other members of consipracy-GAF would say.

gkryhewy

Who are the power elite in this country that are now determined to publicly crush not only the former Bush administration but the leadership of the Republican party as well. I do not pretend to know who are really running things, but it is not the Democratic party and only a few members of Congress.

lol, reptoids :lol :lol ... what a crock.

I see the Phony Outrage Machine is out in full force and has its sights on Pelosi. ZOMG she called the CIA liars oh noes thats unamerican!!! It was OK when Goldwater did it though cuz he's Republican.

Chipopo

Banned
GoutPatrol said:
Yeah but that reads like some Illuminati/show government bullshit.

Taking a look at the author he referenced (C. Wright Mill), it's clear that it reads more like Foucault than anything. In other words, he's right on the money, and he has a tolerance for complexity that a conspiracy theorist does not.

mrmyth

I'm guessing no one saw Jon's throw over to Stephen last night. Colbert was worried about screwing up lest keyboard cat play him off....which of course he did and the cat did.

There's just something about the persona Colbert's biggest worry being about a cat playing keyboard that really personifies the GOP right now.

3rdman

polyh3dron said:
I see the Phony Outrage Machine is out in full force and has its sights on Pelosi. ZOMG she called the CIA liars oh noes thats unamerican!!! It was OK when Goldwater did it though cuz he's Republican.
It's such an odd line of attack too...I understand the point of it: redirect the blame to Pelosi (hence, democrats) but they'd be better off simply trying to drop it. You'll notice that none of them have actually requested hearings and such because ultimately, the shit will end up on their doorstep. If they raise enough of a stink, commissions into war crimes will be right around the corner.

3rdman said:
It's such an odd line of attack too...I understand the point of it: redirect the blame to Pelosi (hence, democrats) but they'd be better off simply trying to drop it. You'll notice that none of them have actually requested hearings and such because ultimately, the shit will end up on their doorstep. If they raise enough of a stink, commissions into war crimes will be right around the corner.
I WISH Democrats had the balls to raise this much of a uniform stink over the things they rightfully should like ACTUALLY ORDERING TORTURE.

polyh3dron said:
I WISH Democrats had the balls to raise this much of a uniform stink over the things they rightfully should like ACTUALLY ORDERING TORTURE.
If throwing Pelosi under the bus paves the way for criminal prosecution of the Bush administration I'm all for it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Obama administration on Tuesday is set to propose stricter fuel economy standards in an effort to cut down vehicle greenhouse gas emissions.

The plan will require passenger cars and light trucks to get an overall average of 35.5 miles per gallon by 2016, according to a senior administration official with knowledge of the plan. By that year, cars will be expected to average about 39 mpg and 30 mpg for trucks.
Current fuel economy standards are 27.5 mpg for cars and 23.1 mpg for trucks.

The Obama plan would accelerate by four years new fuel economy standards passed by Congress at the end of 2007.

Fuel economy will be increased gradually beginning in 2012 and continuing through 2016. The administration predicts the changes will save 1.8 billion barrels of oil by 2016. That's roughly what the country goes through in about 86 days, according to numbers from the Energy Information Administration.

The proposed plan is expected to add about $600 to the cost of a car, the official said. That's on top of $700 added by changes to fuel economy rules that have already been recently enacted, the official said, but consumers should be able to save enough in gas to make up for the cost.

As it stands now, Corporate Average Fuel Economy, or CAFE, standards are administered by the Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The new rules will be administered jointly by the Department of Transportation and the Environmental Protection Agency, according to several reports.

The EPA is responsible for formulating the fuel economy figures shown on new car window stickers and used by shoppers. The EPA also regulates exhaust emissions.

Obama will unveil the changes at a 12:15 p.m. ET event in the Rose Garden on Tuesday. Administration officials say that California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm will both be in attendance for the event along with executives from auto manufacturing companies.

The Obama proposals would represent a big shift in how the government regulates fuel economy. Such regulation typically has not focused on greenhouse gas emissions like carbon dioxide, or CO2.

In April 2007, the Supreme Court ruled that CO2 was a dangerous pollutant that could be regulated by the EPA.

Many other pollutants can be cleaned out of exhaust by the catalytic converter, but currently there is no way to clean C02 out of a car's exhaust. The only way to reduce it is by reducing the amount of fuel burned.

Which roadmap to follow? For years environmental groups have pressured both the EPA and the powerful California Air Resources Board to regulate greenhouse gas emissions from vehicles.

The California board creates emissions standards for the state that are also followed by 14 other states.

As part of this plan, California has agreed not to pursue its own standard, at least until 2016. The 35.5 mpg fuel economy standards conforms to what California would have required by 2016.

Automakers have been fighting separate state and federal regulations in court, arguing that they could create an unworkable patchwork of competing fuel economy standards. Major automakers are expected to support the new federal plan.

The federal government's new plan could try to satisfy environmental groups while offering struggling automakers a single goal they could try to meet.

Dave McCurdy, president and CEO of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, noted there has been a debate for nearly a decade over whether states or the federal government should regulate autos.

"President Obama's announcement ends that old debate by starting a federal rulemaking to set a national program," said McCurdy. "Automakers are committed to working with the President to develop a national program administered by the federal government."

Environmental groups, who have been briefed in advance of the official announcement, are already hailing the changes as an historic effort to combat global warming. Administration officials claim the changes will be the equivalent of taking 177 million cars off the road in terms of impact on the environment.

"These new national rules build on California's ground-breaking standards to tackle global warming pollution from cars and trucks," said Frances Beinecke, president of the National Resources Defense Council. "Starting in model year 2012, the new standards will deliver cleaner, higher-mileage cars nationwide, cut global warming pollution, and save drivers money every time they fill up."

http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/18/autos/new_fuel_economy_standards/index.htm?postversion=2009051907

Bringing more enemies together to make change, a day at a time. Makes the "I don't see no change" people shut-up now.

esbern

Sleeker said:

...the guy has been debunked as a nuts over and over....additionally, half the fucking media called those events early (protip: read the economist)

Pimpwerx

speculawyer said:
Yeah, I apologize too. I don't mean to criticize the entire faith, I just mean to address those christian-right leaders to seem to fill the news headlines. Sadly, that is the view of Christianity that gets seen by the Islamic world . . . just as suicide bombing fanatics make up the view of Islam in much of the western world.

If it bleeds, it leads. So quiet charitable peaceful followers of both Christianity and Islam do not make the news . . . even though they are the majority of both faiths.

Although that Pew study on torture is a bit disturbing. :-(
torture.gif

http://pewforum.org/docs/?DocID=156

If the evil atheist meme that so many religious leaders were even remotely true, why is it that the Christians are more pro-torture? What are they teaching in these churches?

Edit: I chalk it up to fear . . . they fear death enough to believe in an after life and they fear terrorism enough that they condone torture. With that rationalization, the religion really has nothing to do with it.
Church makes people more judgemental, period. And over some of the dumbest shit too. Religion is the root of all evil. Not being sarcastic, and not concerned with who I just offended either. PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom