• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of PRESIDENT OBAMA's First 100 Out of the Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stoney Mason said:
Dude I could give a shit. I'm all talked out on teabagers except to ridicule them. And if you are a teabagger I'll equally ridicule you for the hypocrite and nutbag you are.

How are they hypocrites for not protesting Bush when he was spending tax payer money to defend the American people and freedom abroad, compared to Obama spending tax payer money to defend banks and George Soros

PHOTOS We heard ya. Thanks. Bye.
A protester is removed as he voices his opposition during a speech by U.S. President Barack Obama, during the University of Notre Dame commencement ceremonies in South Bend, Indiana, May 17, 2009.

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

LovingSteam said:
And many of those at the protest voiced frustration with the Repubs. Why is it that those who continue to call these individuals extremists or nutbags don't make mention that they were upset with the republicans as well?
I remember I saw a protest where a guy got up and started criticizing the Bush administration for running deficits and was booed off the stage. The majority of these protesters were not genuinely concerned with spending, they just wanted a platform to piss and moan about a black man Democrat in the White House.

RurouniZel said:
It will be much easier for Obama to push his plans and projects through congress if he has a defining majority (59/60 is technically a majority, but as we've all seen it's not quite enough to make the process smooth). If that number were to increase to say, 70, the Republicans would be all but powerless, and no amount of "No" votes would help them.
There is no way that Dems will pick up ten seats in 2010. They only picked up six seats in 2006 when everyone hated Bush, and only eight (nine if you count Specter, plus Franken may not even get in so that would bring it down to seven) in 2008 riding on Obama's popularity. Now, fourteen seats over three years is still pretty big, but not 60 -> 70 big.

At most I can see them picking up 3-4 seats, which would still give them a comfortable supermajority, but Republicans haven't been pushed that far to fringe status. IIRC the lowest minority they've ever held is 38 seats.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
LovingSteam said:
Many who have a problem don't have it because the Church says to but rather because they believe that the fetus is a human life and killing a fetus = murder. You may disagree with their view however to assume its hypocrisy is wrong. Non catholics have issues with Obama's abortion policy as well.

most of those people probably support the death penalty. i think thats why people are calling them hypocrites.

laserbeam

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
most of those people probably support the death penalty. i think thats why people are calling them hypocrites.

Except their is a difference between someone committing a crime the State views as punishable by death and and the other being an inconvenience so gotten rid of.

Also of note Norma McCorvey the Roe in Roe v Wade was arrested at Notre Dame as well while protesting against Obama.

faceless007 said:
'Cause the guy leading them (and I'm talking specifically about Catholics) is supposed to be infallible.

Infallibility is limited to matters of Religious Dogma

mAcOdIn said:
Edit: If you can take safety behind the concept of seperate government entities then why can't religious people take refuge behind the concept of different fucking centuries?
'Cause the guy leading them (and I'm talking specifically about Catholics) is supposed to be infallible.

Particle Physicist

LovingSteam said:
There was one example of the lady for CNN who said it was horrible how one person painted Obama as Hitler yet there was film of the same lady at a Iraq War protest who was laughing at a protetstor holding up a picture of bush made to resemble hitler.

okay.. its getting a bit annoying how youve been stretching pretty much everything you have said in the past few posts..

this is the video showing both incidents:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WQbNaXJ8Pw&feature=related

she did not laugh at the bush - hitler protester .. she wasnt even there, she did the voice over for the news piece.

Particle Physicist

laserbeam said:
Except their is a difference between someone committing a crime the State views as punishable by death and and the other being an inconvenience so gotten rid of.

Also of note Norma McCorvey the Roe in Roe v Wade was arrested at Notre Dame as well while protesting against Obama.

Infallibility is limited to matters of Religious Dogma

a human life is a human life.. doesnt it go against the teachings of jesus?

also not all abortions are due to inconveniences either so please dont lump them all like that.

quadriplegicjon said:
As someone who's (somewhat) pro-life and against the death penalty, I find this argument lacking.

Being pro-life is to accept that a fetus is a human, being aborted simply because the mother doesn't feel like bearing a child. The death penalty is for someone who had a chance at life and fucked up.

I'm not saying I agree with that position, but I can understand why one would hold it.

Tamanon

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
As someone who's (somewhat) pro-life and against the death penalty, I find this argument lacking.

Being pro-life is to accept that a fetus is a human, being aborted simply because the mother doesn't feel like bearing a child. The death penalty is for someone who had a chance at life and fucked up.

I'm not saying I agree with that position, but I can understand why one would hold it.

I think you might want to think about the reasons for abortion a bit more.

laserbeam

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
a human life is a human life.. doesnt it go against the teachings of jesus?

also not all abortions are due to inconveniences either so please dont lump them all like that.

I dont know if this is the thread to debate the merits of the death penalty via religious view but Jesus never actually once spoke out against the death penalty. The only case of the death penalty ever being brought to him was of Hypocrits trying to test him while not even following the law they were trying to test him on.

Stoney seems to think that non-violent protest makes you a nutbag? Wtf...

The tea party people were more about protesting our governments insane spending... which is a completely legit point. Did you not just listen to Obama's speech?

Karma Kramer said:
Stoney seems to think that non-violent protest makes you a nutbag? Wtf...
No. Hypocritcal extremist positions make you a nutbag. People who actually claim to care about fiscal responsibilty correctly see the tea bag protests for what they are. Sore losers who lost an election. If they are serious about their position stop being hypocritical and stop aligning yourself with other nutbags.

JayDubya

Banned
I don't agree with either, and for vastly different reasons.

However, I do think there's a quite valid difference between a punishment for the crime of aggressive homicide - applied subsequent to due process and a conviction by a jury of your peers - and aggressive homicide itself.

In other words, I just don't think that's a particularly strong tack to take. That is not where the distinction between political / ethical positions lies, and as such, it only provides an all-too-common distraction.

It is perhaps relevant in the context of "The Pope does not support the death penalty either, why did you not protest there?" which is quite possibly a valid point. Perhaps they should have. I do not know.

Particle Physicist

laserbeam said:
I dont know if this is the thread to debate the merits of the death penalty via religious view but Jesus never actually once spoke out against the death penalty. The only case of the death penalty ever being brought to him was of Hypocrits trying to test him while not even following the law they were trying to test him on.

didnt jesus consider all life sacred? why would he be okay with the death penalty..

also dont catholics believe in original sin.. which is why they baptize babies... thus, if aborting an unborn child you arent aborting an innocent life.

religion is so full of inconsistencies :lol

Stoney Mason said:
No. Hypocritcal extremist positions make you a nutbag. People who actually claim to care about fiscal responsibilty correctly see the tea bag protests for what they are. Sore losers who lost an election. If they are serious about their position stop being hypocritical and stop aligning yourself with other nutbags.

Perhaps but I think there is a reasonable argument to be made that the bailout of the banks is against some people's ideals... Its not entirely hypocritical, though I agree there is definitely the encouragement of "the other team" winning and now doing all of this.

I just think its unreasonable to call people nutbags regardless if they might be a little hypocritical.

Karma Kramer said:
Perhaps but I think there is a reasonable argument to be made that the bailout of the banks is against some people's ideals... Its not entirely hypocritical, though I agree there is definitely the encouragement of "the other team" winning and now doing all of this.

I just think its unreasonable to call people nutbags regardless if they might be a little hypocritical.

While I'm not a personal fiscal conservative I respect people who actually are or at least respect them if they hold and practice intellectual honesty. Those nutbags at the teabag parties weren't. They are a group of Republican voters whipped up by Fox News and Rush Limbaugh types. As I said if they were truly fiscal conservatives they certainly wouldn't be supporters of either party. Because Republicans neither cut spending nor do they cut the deficit. EVER!

There is legimitate discussions to have about fiscal restraint and none of them should involve Joe the Plumber types, or Republicans masquerading as fiscal hawks so they can bash the Democratic president. That's not even going into a lot of the bigotry or violence imagery that was present at some of these "tea parties".

Stoney Mason said:
While I'm not a personal fiscal conservative I respect people who actually are or at least respect them if they hold and practice intellectual honesty. Those nutbags at the teabag parties weren't. They are a group of Republican voters whipped up by Fox News and Rush Limbaugh types. As I said if they were truly fiscal conservatives they certainly wouldn't be supporters of either party. Because Republicans neither cut spending nor do they cut the deficit. EVER!

There is legimitate discussions to have about fiscal restraint and none of them should involve Joe the Plumber types, or Republicans masquerading as fiscal hawks so they can bash the Democratic president. That's not even going into a lot of the bigotry or violence imagery that was present at some of these "tea parties".

Alright I agree...

Deus Ex Machina said:
PHOTOS We heard ya. Thanks. Bye.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06tYaQv2Oq5Vk/610x.jpg[/IM]

[IMG]http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09eR6VJ52b8OR/610x.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]
[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/9fw7s5_th.jpg
:lol

First I've seen of these little "abortion symbol" dealies---somehow I find them utterly creepy. Though part of that might just be the wildly smiling girl waving that second one about.

When was such a thing invented?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Seriously, why is that student protester smiling while holding up her abortion cap?

laserbeam said:

Dude, there's a whole fucking story on it. Remember the bit about casting the first stone? Jesus personally stopped an execution. What do you think that was about? It wast about human beings (sinners) judging somebody deathworthy. Are you not a sinner (human being)?

Desperado

I'm sure I'm late on this, but have you guys read Ann Coulter's write-up on Palin for the Time 100?

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1894410_1894289_1894287,00.html
Sarah Palin was arguably the most influential person in 2008, but no one notices because she wasn't influential enough to overcome the deficits of her running mate and win the election.

Until Palin, 45, burst onto the scene, Obama was headed for a Nixon/McGovern landslide. Palin may not have changed the election result, but she killed what otherwise would have been a rout.

John McCain was so preposterous a candidate (at least on a Republican ticket) that Palin was responsible for far more votes than the usual vice-presidential candidate. The biggest red flag proving her popularity with normal Americans is that liberals won't shut up about her. Palin is a threat to liberals because she believes in God and country and family — all values liberals pretend to believe in but secretly detest. There's a reason there's no "Stop Olympia Snowe before it's too late!" movement.

The American voter can be hornswoggled occasionally, but we can generally spot a real American, and that's what Sarah Palin is. She really was a housewife who went into politics because she didn't like the way her taxes were being spent. She really did take on the old-boy network — the oil companies and her own party — and won. And yes, she really did walk the walk on abortion when she found out she was carrying a Down-syndrome baby.

The combination of Palin's attractiveness as a candidate and her ability to expose liberals made her a celebrity among Republicans. The only thing I have against her is that she threatens to surpass me in attracting the left's hatred.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
She's right to a point - until Palin was involved there was little energy among the conservative base. They begrudgingly supported McCain, but there was no fervor or passion for the candidate at all.

Whether this actually tightened the race as much as Coulter writes is questionable. Obama polled very favorably to McCain before the Palin pick, but I think nearly all Presidential races tightened up as election day draws nearer.

I'd argue that Palin actually hurt McCain's campaign than helped.

I know a lot of moderates/independents who were on the fence and ultimately voted for Obama because of how much of a shithead Palin is.

She did a lot for the conservative base but lol we all know how much that base actually matters.

Deus Ex Machina said:
A few more..
610x.jpg

That's awesome... those girls are friends of mine!
I was a little far from the stage, but both Obama's and Fr. Jenkins' speeches were very good, and the crowd drowning out the protestors was very nice, though the atmosphere got a little tense after that because everyone was expecting something else to happen...

GrapeApes

Here's some words of wisdom from Hannity forums. From a thread about which side would you be on during the Civil War. I think the first guy is trolling or a real loon.

hben said:
Gopher P said:
i would of supported the confederacy, most people dont realize that abraham lincoln was a genuinely evil man and a RINO
I had never thought about it before, but I do believe you are right. Though the term RINO was not around when Lincoln was president, I believe he may have been one of the first to fill the bill.
http://forums.hannity.com/showpost.php?p=54570921&postcount=765

JayDubya

Banned
Well, they don't elaborate, so it's just mysterious and dumb. It's worth noting how the Democratic-Republican party has changed multiple times and the Republican party has done the same since its inception (part and parcel of why I think the two-party system is borked).

Desperado said:
I'm sure I'm late on this, but have you guys read Ann Coulter's write-up on Palin for the Time 100?

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1894410_1894289_1894287,00.html
C'mon Ann . . . put your money where your mouth is and donate a ton of money to her and do personal appearances for her. I am so eager to see Palin as the 2012 candidate.

Of course, I know you won't . . . you're just sideshow freak that makes lots of money of your fundamentalist base. You live in blue state areas, drink wine, have premarital sex, never got married, never had a kid . . . we know what you are.

JayDubya said:
Well, they don't elaborate, so it's just mysterious and dumb. It's worth noting how the Democratic-Republican party has changed multiple times and the Republican party has done the same since its inception (part and parcel of why I think the two-party system is borked).
There is a difference between the two parties . . . but I agree the system needs change. Instant run-off voting and proportional representation. The two-party system sucks.

quadriplegicjon said:

In fairness (and not in anything else, because I myself find the overall hypocrisy of the people with those yellow mortarboards infuriating), if they're Catholic pro-lifers they're almost certainly against the death penalty. The Catholic Church has a long, consistent position of opposing capital punishment.

PhoenixDark said:
McCain probably would have done worse without Palin on the ticket.

McCain would have raised less money without Palin. I really doubt that it won him a meaningful number of votes; I'm skeptical that the base was willing to skip voting for McCain even given their uncertainty about him, and there were plenty of polling indicators that she was actively driving independents away.

speculawyer said:
C'mon Ann . . . put your money where your mouth is and donate a ton of money to her and do personal appearances for her. I am so eager to see Palin as the 2012 candidate.

Of course, I know you won't . . . you're just sideshow freak that makes lots of money of your fundamentalist base. You live in blue state areas, drink wine, have premarital sex, never got married, never had a kid . . . we know what you are.

A man?

Okay, crude joke aside, I'm surprised that Coulter is actually supporting a woman. She's always been an "in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant" type when it came to women and careers. And she is, what you were hoping for with your question, a hypocrite.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Nazgul_Hunter said:
That's awesome... those girls are friends of mine!
I was a little far from the stage, but both Obama's and Fr. Jenkins' speeches were very good, and the crowd drowning out the protestors was very nice, though the atmosphere got a little tense after that because everyone was expecting something else to happen...
Really? I thought Obama's speech was awful. He started off great ("Apparently these degrees are hard to come by...I'm only 1 for 2" :lol...fuck you ASU) but I don't think really any one cared for what he will now use as his tenure's stance on abortion. Not that he shouldn't have addressed the situation, just thought way too much time was spent on a topic we were already to move on about.

But man, talk about awesome. Seeing a sitting president speak is easily one of the coolest experiences I've ever had.

And yeah, a tense atmosphere indeed. Every time a protester stood up I got chills up and down my body, even though I knew nothing violent would happen and we were all prepared for the protesters to start with.

laserbeam said:
I dont know if this is the thread to debate the merits of the death penalty via religious view but Jesus never actually once spoke out against the death penalty.
Yeah . . . The "Prince of Peace" who said 'love thy enemy' and 'turn the other cheek' was clearly pro-death. And apparently pro-torture according most Christians.

Christianity has really jumped the shark. Well, at least that is they way it seems to be but I was taught about a very different Jesus than the one much of America seems to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom