• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of VP Debate 2008 Trainwreck-in-slow-motion Popcorn Party Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
3rdman said:
0928_mainchart.png

That the biggest I've yet seen of Pac-Bama.

Its like Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD all over again.

lawblob said:
Jerry Falwell was right about this show after all.

Also, it is so good that Gwen Ifell is moderating the VP debate. Claiming sexism when a woman is asking the questions will look insane... but that won't stop McZombie from trying.

I can see them twisting it to claim racism (by proxy) @.@

thefit

Collectibles alert.

I just voted for Obama at my local 7-11.

They have Obama/McCain 20oz cups of coffee, each purchase is counted as vote it even says "Obama coffee" on the receipt.

Gruco

Banned
syllogism said:
If he has a lead like that on nov 4, that hardly matters unless you really really really want to win NC
I want Kay Hagin to win, so it matters.

More than downticket implications even, it will still have an impact of Obama's popular mandate and hown the future battefield is seen. If he can we a state, I want him winning that state. 370, baby.

Barrett2

CharlieDigital said:
I can see them twisting it to claim racism (by proxy) @.@

Gwen Ifill hates whitey confirmed. Just like Michelle Obama.

McCain will no doubt resort to some desperate shit if Obama's lead goes up any higher.

GhaleonEB

Just a reminder that the one-week simultaneous registration/early vote window in Ohio begins tomorrow. Something to keep an eye on. Obama's camp is saturating college towns and universities for new voters who can vote on the spot.
BenjaminBirdie said:
And they were proven to be making stuff up by the AP. Good show, Gibbs.

thefit said:
Collectibles alert.

They have Obama/McCain 20oz cups of coffee, each purchase is counted as vote it even says "Obama coffee" on the receipt.

Wow, a digital voting system with a paper trail.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If Obama secures CO+VA in addition to the Kerry/IA/NM block, then the only way Pennsylvania helps McCain is if Obama fails to take ANYTHING ELSE outside the 3 vote states. Even Nevada will put Obama at 270.

Please play the Palin talking point meltdown with Couric on The View today.

Follow it by a clip from Billy Madison:
What you just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things I have ever heard. No where in your rambling, incoherent response where you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Wow, Obama is at the high school literally across the street from the community I live in. Wish I knew about it before hand or I would have tried to attend.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just wanna make the crazy oddball prediction that Palin will "win" the debate. Let's see. :)

I think she'll look absolutely awful and bomba total, and then Biden will see a lot of backlash. That's what I am feeling but I hope not.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
pxleyes said:
Ya...THAT'S the problem with Palin. I cant imagine what she would sound like "unprepared" by McCain campaign standards then.

I don't know that overprepared is the right word for her, but certainly you get the impression that the aides have really just pumped a bunch of talking points into her head and that she's perceptively self-conscious and gunshy during her interviews. Given the debates in Alaska for governor and her performance at RNC, she's clearly regressed, and I blame aides. She doesn't speak naturally, is scared of making a gaffe, and worried about sounding intelligent.

A large part of it is speaking to issues she knows very little about, and the other part is her trying to regurgitate information being fed to her. Both of those can be traced to a bad job of coaching by the aides. By now, she should be able to seem capable of talking about these issues.

Coach me for ONE day, and I'll sound like an expert on the Wall Street Bailout on any damn interview.

Hitokage said:
If Obama secures CO+VA in addition to the Kerry/IA/NM block, then the only way Pennsylvania helps McCain is if Obama fails to take ANYTHING ELSE outside the 3 vote states. Even Nevada will put Obama at 270.

Nevada is a problem for McCain. Quietly the campaign has admitted, here and there, that NV was going to be a tough state to hold due to Obama registration gains and better ground operation.

At this point I think that PA+NH may be two of McCain's best bets. That being said, both are really bad bets, but I really don't know where else to go if VA and CO continue polling like they do. At this point they need a route to 270 even if they lose by 1.5% in the popular vote, and PA+NH are two decent bets.

Zeliard

MassiveAttack said:
McCain campaign already accusing debate moderators of trying to "stack the deck" against Palin by asking "gotcha questions"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RaRBAvzTzY

This is absolutely pathetic.

"Why don't they just make it half-and-half? The public cares more about domestic stuff than foreign stuff anyway."

Hmm... why didn't they ask the same questions about the presidential debate?

It's funny that they're already attempting damage control. I can't wait until the post-debate spin.

GhaleonEB said:
Nice, all five are states we need updated polling on. I'm especially interested in VA and CO.

Down 300. Yeowch.

According to Chuck Todd:

Toss Ups - FL, IN, MI, NV, NH, NC, OH, PA, VA, WI

I thought recent polling totally contradicted this.

Kildace

maximum360 said:
According to Chuck Todd:

Toss Ups - FL, IN, MI, NV, NH, NC, OH, PA, VA, WI

I thought recent polling totally contradicted this.

PA looks quite safe for Obama but MI doesn't. I think that Obama is being hurt there by the fact that Kilpatrick is black to be honest.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
thefit said:
Collectibles alert.

I'll buy two.

Barrett2

MassiveAttack said:
These will be played on CBS Evening News tonight.

So wait, CBS is still holding the MOST embarrassing parts of the Palin interview? Fucking awesome! And sexist... horribly sexist.

Iksenpets

Banned
Hitokage said:

I know, but at this point McCain's only real hope is to go hard on PA and just hope for the best everywhere else. I'm not saying it's a likely path to victory, just that at this point it might be his only plausible one.

Now about Palin, I wanted to bring a couple of facts to the front about her, based on what people observed in her brief tenure as Alaska Governor:

*) Does not go to Juneau very often, hasn't dealt with things face to face.
*) Is apparently indifferent/unattentive when attending official meetings and gubenatorial appearances, spending time on her blackberry doing hell knows what.

That tells me she's neither a curious person, nor really interested in doing her job as Governor. Is it no wonder the McCain campaign is having a hard time getting her up to speed with national issues?

We all know that she's capable of being an average debater-when she has a decent understanding of the issues. When she ran for Governor of Alaska the issues were pretty clear to her, as she probably had been around them and exposed to them for years. She's not a curious type, so the rest of the issues that national politicians deal with were of none of her concern. Had she had more exposure to national issues I think she'd be in a much better position.

I think the real problem with her in this debate goes back to the very core problem of McCain's campaign-everything is calculated and done for maximum immediate political gain. Had they put Palin on the ticket in June they would have had months to get her educated on these issues without the huge pressure of having to be out campaigning to help a floundering campaign in the heat of the post-convention season. She'd by now be at least on the level of Dan Quayle. Instead they have a confused, blabbering idiot who comes across as out of her league any time she opens her mouth with a mic around.

Palin didn't always have to be a disaster pick. They could have leveraged her newness and then eased her into talking comfortable about the issues while electrifying the fundie base early enough to get a decent in-house ground game going in key states. They picked her too late, and instead they got a bigger, more emphemeral convention bounce but now are sagging badly in the polls because of that decision.

Kildace said:
PA looks quite safe for Obama but MI doesn't. I think that Obama is being hurt there by the fact that Kilpatrick is black to be honest.

MI has been polling a hair better for Obama than PA. PA is structurally more favorable to the McCain campaign in terms of demographics as well, and PA was one a few big states where Obama fell flat in the primaries against the Hilldozer.

LuCkymoON

Banned
I'm worried that the MSM has now beat up Palin so much that all she has to do is not lose. She could win this by giving simple short answers and expanding on issues she knows something about. ALASKA!

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
MassiveAttack said:
Fox News and McCain campaign already accusing debate moderator of trying to "stack the deck" against Palin by asking "gotcha questions"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RaRBAvzTzY

This is absolutely pathetic.
Trying to work the refs didn't work out well with either Gibson or Couric, and I doubt it'll work on Ifill, whose body of work shows much more journalistic integrity than the two combined.

LuCkymoON said:
I'm worried that the MSM has now beat up Palin so much that all she has to do is not lose. She could win this by giving simple short answers and expanding on issues she knows something about. ALASKA!

Projecting and pivoting issues around her experiences in Alaska has been nothing short of a disaster for her ( see putinalaska.gif ).

Kildace

Fragamemnon said:
MI has been polling a hair better for Obama than PA. PA is structurally more favorable to the McCain campaign in terms of demographics as well, and PA was one a few big states where Obama fell flat in the primaries against the Hilldozer.

Well I must not be up-to-date with my polling, I remember MI being a string of +1 and +2s.

Edit: Just checked out 538, I'm wrong, sorry!

thefro

It's a pretty big gamble to let Palin be Palin and attack the heck out of Obama/Biden at the debate. If she does that it's fair game for Biden to absolutely destroy her.

I guess it's about the only option McCain has though.

Barrett2

LuCkymoON said:

There is no possibility of her looking good. Katie Couric was not asking difficult questions. Even if she is not a policy wonk, she should at least coherently be able to regurgitate Republican talking points. She cant even do that. Under the spotlight of a 90 minute freewheeling debate where she has to think on her toes to on-the-spot questions.... she will look dumb as fuck.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Fragamemnon said:
Do you think Obama has "given up" on OH? I haven't heard much about them as of late-- compared with Virginia and Colorado, which you hear about all the time.

Kildace said:
Well I must not be up-to-date with my polling, I remember MI being a string of +1 and +2s.

There's been a rash of polls in the +3 to +7 range and a double digit Obama lead outlier.

Both states still look really grim for McCain. He's not really pulled even a weak lead there at any point in the campaign, even after the Palin+convention double bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom