• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of VP Debate 2008 Trainwreck-in-slow-motion Popcorn Party Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y2Kev said:
Do you think Obama has "given up" on OH? I haven't heard much about them as of late-- compared with Virginia and Colorado, which you hear about all the time.

Not even close. The campaign has some 70 or some other absurd number of field offices, they are running ads like crazy, looking at the expenditure tables, and are mobilizing a colossal get out the vote operation this week in Ohio with the one-stop register and vote stations that will be open in the state this week.

They are in Ohio to win, that's for sure.

pxleyes

Banned
Incognito said:
..has a new poll in Florida.

McCain 48 (51)
Obama 47 (45)

9-17 results are in parentheses
Mmmm poll results all over my body. I have to say the presence in Florida is sizable and I have gotten 3 calls from the Obama camp and surrogates in the last 2 weeks.

Fatalah

I have to say, some of my favorite lines are coming from McCain lately. They just get stuck in my head.

Paraphrasing but:

"I looked into Putin's eyes and saw three letters, a K- a G- and B-." That was just badass.

I also like McCain's "You will know their names, I WILL MAKE THEM FAMOUS".

John is the last fucking action hero. His lines are borderline absurd!

But for all the awesome lines, you've got the stinkers:

"They never voted me Miss Congeniality in Washington". Why did he need to say that twice during the debate? Heck, why even once? I don't think it's the best idea to use your slogans during a debate. For either candidate.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
heard mitt romney on the today show this morning point out that palin's incompetence in the katie couric interview is merely indicative of her connection to the common man. she doesn't need all those fancy-pants articulate thoughts and sentences to know how to be the vice president. she's a maverick. bang bang, baby.

SUSA down one in Florida, I'll take it and smile. Their track record in polling states with large minority populations in the primaries was abysmal and undercut Obama by huge margins.

Fox and Friends is worse that Cavuto or whatever that turd's name is. In fact, I can't think of a single cable news morning show that isn't a big gulp of asshattery, period. Morning edition is the only tolerable thing that early in the AM.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Fatalah said:
"They never voted me Miss Congeniality in Washington". Why did he need to say that twice during the debate? Heck, why even once? I don't think it's the best idea to use your slogans during a debate. For either candidate.

I have heard him use that god damned line every single time he spoke in the last two weeks and I am soooo tired of hearing about it. It's his way of seeming folksy.

beelzebozo said:
heard mitt romney on the today show this morning point out that palin's incompetence in the katie couric interview is merely indicative of her connection to the common man. she doesn't need all those fancy-pants articulate thoughts and sentences to know how to be the vice president. she's a maverick. bang bang, baby.

haha, what does mittens know about the common man, other than laying them off. too funny.

edit:

I have heard him use that god damned line every single time he spoke in the last two weeks and I am soooo tired of hearing about it. It's his way of seeming folksy.

And it makes zero sense because the Senate is BASED on a congeniality. It's the only thing, outside the filibuster that keeps the Senate operating different than the smoking partisan crater that is the House of Representatives.

Fatalah said:
"I looked into Putin's eyes and saw three letters, a K- a B- and G-." That was just badass.
0345_60putin.jpg

BenjaminBirdie said:
Eek! Mark Halperin is talking! Where's Nate?!?

Nate should say something about how he ran all the numbers this morning on his laptop and confirmed that there is a 85% chance that Halperin is the internet's biggest tool.

Barrett2

beelzebozo said:

This is the same Mitt Romney who claimed his five sons were serving the country by attending Ivy League schools and working on his campaign INSTEAD OF joining the military.... Mittens truly speaks for the common man.

lawblob said:
There is no possibility of her looking good. Katie Couric was not asking difficult questions. Even if she is not a policy wonk, she should at least coherently be able to regurgitate Republican talking points. She cant even do that. Under the spotlight of a 90 minute freewheeling debate where she has to think on her toes to on-the-spot questions.... she will look dumb as fuck.
Well, the situation is volatile. Some of the Chicken Littles out there are terrified that as long as she puts up some sort of mediocre performance in the debate, then she will have exceeded expectations and will consequently win the debate just because she didn't embarrass herself.

There might be a hint of validity to that. If the expectations are that she's going to utterly humiliate herself and be off the ticket on Friday (maybe not that soon, but you know where I'm going with it), this could work. But it can only succeed if you think she still has some goodwill left out there, and independants watch her after the debate and buy into the "media has been overly harsh towards her" narrative. She would have to be elevated to some heroic figure her persevered in the face of being dealt a really bad hand.

And with the polls showing what they are, I don't think this is the case. The Palin hype has faded. We're no longer in a position where we'll consider anything short of her bursting into tears and running off the stage a disaster. Her limited and dubious interviews have caused the public at large to question her qualifications. Yeah, she might do better than expected, but I don't think that's going to be good enough to change the tide for the McCain campaign. However, I don't think it's entirely outside the realm of possibility that she might put up a servicable performance.

Despite the facepalm-worthy Couric interview, I think there's going to be an inevitable bump for the GOP after the debate. Palin is the star of the show afterall, not McCain. and let's face it, Biden is a distant fourth player in this drama.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Fragamemnon said:
Not even close. The campaign has some 70 or some other absurd number of field offices, they are running ads like crazy, looking at the expenditure tables, and are mobilizing a colossal get out the vote operation this week in Ohio with the one-stop register and vote stations that will be open in the state this week.

They are in Ohio to win, that's for sure.
That's good. Ohio scares me because I know of corruption and shady dealings that happened in 04, and also lots of AA vote suppression going on. State is a shithole that got rocked by NAFTA (not that I am necessarily opposed to offshoring/outsourcing, but Ohio was one of the harder hit states) and everything else the past 10 years have thrown at them and they just continually go red.

teruterubozu said:
Despite the facepalm-worthy Couric interview, I think there's going to be an inevitable bump for the GOP after the debate. Palin is the star of the show afterall, not McCain.

Welcome to 3 weeks ago.

gkryhewy

Y2Kev said:
That's good. Ohio scares me because I know of corruption and shady dealings that happened in 04, and also lots of AA vote suppression going on. State is a shithole that got rocked by NAFTA (not that I am necessarily opposed to offshoring/outsourcing, but Ohio was one of the harder hit states) and everything else the past 10 years have thrown at them and they just continually go red.

Big Ohio bank - National City - appears to be teetering.

HylianTom

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
Fox and Friends is worse that Cavuto or whatever that turd's name is. In fact, I can't think of a single cable news morning show that isn't a big gulp of asshattery, period. Morning edition is the only tolerable thing that early in the AM.

I can't wait to see the smug prick Cavuto's reaction when Obama wins. Hopefully the Fox News cameraman will chase his crying ass backstage, Maury Povich-style.

teruterubozu said:
Despite the facepalm-worthy Couric interview, I think there's going to be an inevitable bump for the GOP after the debate. Palin is the star of the show afterall, not McCain. and let's face it, Biden is a distant fourth player in this drama.

Regardless, he cannot cross 50% with the current Sarah Palin. I honestly believe that.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I hope that some of you can finally see that McCain was never meant to win this election. Choosing Palin should have been the obvious tip off for many voters but like all good elections it has to look like we choose our leaders (well except for Bush but they were desperate to get a Manchurian candidate in the White House). I really like Obama but I truly hope that he is intelligent enough to realize that there are a lot of powerful people who would try to prevent the "first black President" from having a successful administration, especially when he's trying to clean up a "white Presidents" mess. I know we are far past skin color here on gaf but those are just the realities we live in. My fear is that he was chosen to be a patsy and that these next 4 years could be a nail biter. I pray that I am wrong and everything is legit.

Enjoy the show.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
State is a shithole that got rocked by NAFTA (not that I am necessarily opposed to offshoring/outsourcing, but Ohio was one of the harder hit states) and everything else the past 10 years have thrown at them and they just continually go red.

Read What's the Matter with Kansas by Thomas Frank. It will enlighten you about why this keeps happening.

Y2Kev said:

Keep in mind that Ohio now has a Democratic governor and Democratic partisan running the state's board of elections. If anything, the laws and practices that suppressed voters in Ohio in 2004 have been turned around completely, and now the laws and practices in Ohio favor Democrats.

As for NAFTA, Obama has surrounded himself with too many folks from the Clinton administration for him to really speak on fair trade issues with any credibility. You can't bring on people like Roger Altman or Bob Rubin and have any credibility on trade issues, IMO.

Cloudy

Banned
On a side note, does anyone else find it funny how McCain is attacking Obama for being too hard on Pakistan? (Not ruling out unilateral ops inside their country to get terrorists)

Normally, they try to paint Dems as too soft (which they're trying to do with the Iran "no-preconditions" etc.) and Obama's fighting back by exaggerating his hawkishness and it seems to be working :lol

Tobor

Shaheed79 said:
I hope that some of you can finally see that McCain was never meant to win this election. Choosing Palin should have been the obvious tip off for many voters but like all good elections it has to look like we choose our leaders (well except for Bush but they were desperate to get a Manchurian candidate in the White House). I really like Obama but I truly hope that he is intelligent enough to realize that there are a lot of powerful people who would try to prevent the "first black President" from having a successful administration, especially when he's trying to clean up a "white Presidents" mess. I know we are far past skin color here on gaf but those are just the realities we live in. My fear is that he was chosen to be a patsy and that these next 4 years could be a nail biter. I pray that I am wrong and everything is legit.

Enjoy the show.

Conspiracy theorists and fundies have one thing in common. They can both say they were right no matter the outcome.

Also, the Wachovia news this morning was like an atomic bomb was set off here in NC. Job cuts are expected in Charlotte now. :(

I bet this news is the last nail in the coffin for Robin Hayes and Elizabeth Dole, two mindless Bush servitors who deserve every bit of the kick in their ass that the voters are going to give them.

ShOcKwAvE

Cloudy said:
On a side note, does anyone else find it funny how McCain is attacking Obama for being too hard on Pakistan? (Not ruling out unilateral ops inside their country to get terrorists)

Normally, they try to paint Dems as too soft (which they're trying to do with the Iran "no-preconditions" etc.) and Obama's fighting back by exaggerating his hawkishness and it seems to be working :lol

There is always another angle.

Tamanon

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
Also, the Wachovia news this morning was like an atomic bomb was set off here in NC. Job cuts are expected in Charlotte now. :(

I bet this news is the last nail in the coffin for Robin Hayes and Elizabeth Dole, two mindless Bush servitors who deserve every bit of the kick in their ass that the voters are going to give them.

Yeah, it's a horrible thing for me also since I'm still in the job market and my specialty is financial:(

greepoman

Fragamemnon said:
Fox and Friends is worse that Cavuto or whatever that turd's name is.

Oh god Cavuto...reminds me of this transcript from his show:

It's August.

It's early.

But for Democrats, it's over.

Over. Done. Fini.

At the risk of sounding like I've snapped...allow me this snap judgment.

The Democrats have just lost the presidency this week.

For them, a horrible week.

During this crucial defining period that brought a Russian bear out of hibernation and a befuddled Nancy Pelosi into drilling reality...allow me to drill home this point.

Not when Russia threatens a new Cold War and the best their presumptive nominee can do is offer hope warring parties could put aside their hostilities...

While his opponent calls Russia what it clearly was and is: a bully. And a bully that must be dealt with.

Then in the middle of the week Obama's economic team comes out with this grand explanation of a tax cut package that reminds all again...not of cuts promised for the middle class...but serious hikes for those who don't much consider themselves above middle class.

"People who don't consider themselves much above the middle class"...ya being in the top 5% of earners is oh so close to middle class. :lol What an aweful life to be "almost middle class"

It's amazing how much of the real middle class is brainwashed by the Republicans when almost all of them will get a bigger tax break under Obama.

Barrett2

Cloudy said:

This is why Obama is running a winning campaign, he is not afraid to beat Repubs at their own game, and the tired cliches of Repub attack politics are simply not sticking, especially in this economy.

As for Palin, I guess my main thoughts on the debate are that at this point it really matters much less than we probably realize. The fundamentals of the campaign have shifted 180 to the economy. Palin is officially a side-show, people have more important things to worry about. Even if she does better than expected, the only people who will give a shit are the die-hards who are voting McCain regardless of what happens. The majority of the country has already made up their mind about her, and are more worried now about the oncoming Great Depression.

And to clarify, when I say 'fundamentals of the campaign,' I am referring to the hard working campaign volunteers..... or something...

Tama: Ouch. Best of luck finding something. :( :(

pxleyes said:
Is it just me or has the McCain campaign not attacked Joe Biden once outside of his recent gaffe?

Attacking the VP candidate is only really productive when it undermines the top of the ticket. Even then, to be honest the damage Palin has done to McCain has not been really instigated by the Obama campaign but by the media and punditry that look at her with horror in their eyes.

Snaku

Banned
Just heard a radio ad from McCain/Palin focusing on them saving all of us from desease because they're the champions of stem cell research. :lol

lawblob said:
As for Palin, I guess my main thoughts on the debate are that at this point it really matters much less than we probably realize. The fundamentals of the campaign have shifted 180 to the economy. Palin is officially a side-show, people have more important things to worry about. Even if she does better than expected, the only people who will give a shit are the die-hards who are voting McCain regardless of what happens. The majority of the country has already made up their mind about her, and are more worried now about the oncoming Great Depression.

I think, finally, it's less about her and more about McCain. Even if people like her, the overwhelming sentiment is that she is unprepared. And that's just bad for McCain.

Imm0rt4l

Fatalah said:
I have to say, some of my favorite lines are coming from McCain lately. They just get stuck in my head.

Paraphrasing but:

"I looked into Putin's eyes and saw three letters, a K- a G- and B-." That was just badass.

I also like McCain's "You will know their names, I WILL MAKE THEM FAMOUS".

John is the last fucking action hero. His lines are borderline absurd!

But for all the awesome lines, you've got the stinkers:

the K-G-B line came across so contrived, he decided to use it after he had already said that Putin was KGB, like the sentence prior.

the "I'll make them famous" line was tired to begin with, but his segue into that little quip was just horrible, "I promise you.....I have a pen...well this ones kinda old.....but I have a pen and I'm going to veto every every single spending bill...."

the Miss congeniality line has always been horrible, don't know why he continues to use it. Mac needs some new material.

Fragamemnon said:
Tama: Ouch. Best of luck finding something. :( :(

Attacking the VP candidate is only really productive when it undermines the top of the ticket. Even then, to be honest the damage Palin has done to McCain has not been really instigated by the Obama campaign but by the media and punditry that look at her with horror in their eyes.

Strange. I thought the damage occurred after she started speaking without a teleprompter.

Bulla564

Banned
teruterubozu said:

I think it's the other way around. The millions of people that have not tuned in to see Biden in a stump speech will be convinced of his competence to be President, as opposed to Palin.

I believe the debate will seal the deal.

smurfx

get some go again
pxleyes said:
Is it just me or has the McCain campaign not attacked Joe Biden once outside of his recent gaffe?
biden is a likable guy and i doubt they want the media to focus to much on him and have people take a liking to him. he's had gaffes but nothing too bad. although with that said i'm sure the republicans in the last week of the election will throw everything and the kitchen sink at the obama camp.

GOP racism rears its ugly head.

The spokeswoman for the Republican Party in Nevada's most populous county was removed from her post Saturday, after she said the Democratic Party made black people "dependent on the government."

Didi Lima, the Clark County GOP communications director, also was removed from her volunteer role as a Hispanic community liaison for Republican John McCain's presidential campaign over the remarks made earlier in the day while working at a McCain campaign booth.

"We don't want (Hispanics) to become the new African-American community," Lima told The Associated Press. "And that's what the Democratic Party is going to do to them, create more programs and give them handouts, food stamps and checks for this and checks for that. We don't want that."

"I'm very much afraid that the Democratic Party is going to do the same thing that they did with the African-American culture and make them all dependent on the government and we don't want that,"
she said.

Let's be frank: this is what a very, very large percentage of Republicans, if not a majority, believes. Lima's only crime was embarassing her party by stating this explicitly, rather than just leaving it as subtext.

gkryhewy

Snaku said:
Just heard a radio ad from McCain/Palin focusing on them saving all of us from desease because they're the champions of stem cell research. :lol

WTF? Sarah Palin doesn't believe in cells.

MassiveAttack said:
Strange. I thought the damage occurred after she started speaking without a teleprompter.

It just sort of seems that way. From the start, even a lot of conservative pundits (much less the liberals who recoiled in disgust at her fundie-ness) reeled in horror that McCain would pick someone so completely unqualified for the office. From there the meme set, and the bad interviews have only reinforced her personal narrative.

"We don't want (Hispanics) to become the new African-American community," Lima told The Associated Press

Too bad, the crazy-ass House GOP of 2006 ensured that Hispanics will be a reliably democratic voting block for years and years to come. Their wacko immigration bill will go down as one of the most ignorant and tone deaf legislative efforts to ever cross Capitol Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom