• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico on Trump's terrible deal making with Trumpcare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So eloquent, our president. He really makes us look great
/s

If Trump had any negotiation skills or actual political gravitas, he would have gotten people to politically die for his bill in the same way Obama did.
Are there any good articles like this one about Obama and the ACA? Would love to read about his speeches and the reactions/thought processes in the room

Or even better, good books?

studyguy

Dems spent years working towards the ACA. Put in that fucking work prior to the vote to build coalitions, got Obama to fucking stump the ever living fuck out of the bill, Pelosi was a fucking monster of a whip on the vote, and lastly Dems voted for the bill knowing it may cost them seats.

None of that from the GOP. Just empty rhetoric from ideologues, Trump outsourcing the construction of the bill to Ryan and cutting/running when the going got tough. Fuck them, they deserve what they got.

KdylanR92

"Don't worry about all the little things that make HealthCare complicated, just make sure it passes".

It's no way in hell he read that bill.

It appears I touched a nerve XD

LOL Sorry but it's a strange sentiment. I have no qualms fighting against Trump. There is no doubt he and the GOP have heinous machinations in the works and people must be vigilant just like vigilance paid off here. But come on. Do you honestly think he can execute perfectly on something much bigger when this, a tent pole of his and the GOP rhetoric, ends with such a tactless, clumsy, embarrassing and self-harmful fallout? He's a guy who has a recipe and skips half the steps because "it'll turn out alright anyway"

Ogodei

5 bucks the big picture is passing bills so Trump can say he 'won'

The big picture is white nationalism. Economic policy and healthcare policy are as sideshows to him and Bannon, healthcare moreso because the rich at least understand a love for tax-cuts.

commedieu

Banned
It's premature to discount Trump's overall game plan at this moment, IMO.

Perhaps, but that wouldn't demonstrate to the American public and to conservatives in particular, that the establishment Republican leadership is useless.

Trump has done nothing successfully that he has tried to do. There isn't any game plan. Just illegal strong arming or ignorant actions. I don't know why people make this comment. As if he has a plan. Everything points to the contrary. This is including hiring people thay are stepping down and aside due to russian ties, while they are under investigation by the fbi. A key part you know, of having a plan, is to be able to execute it. Nothing he has done has proven that he is capable of getting his kite off of the floor.

He's a rich kid who got money to get it to real estate, and sells a brand name. No more, no less.

Honestly, in what scenario do you consider a lengthy list of failures success?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
LOL Sorry but it's a strange sentiment. I have no qualms fighting against Trump. There is no doubt he and the GOP have heinous machinations in the works and people must be vigilant just like vigilance paid off here. But come on. Do you honestly think he can execute perfectly on something much bigger when this, a tent pole of his and the GOP rhetoric, ends with such a tactless, clumsy, embarrassing and self-harmful fallout? He's a guy who has a recipe and skips half the steps because "it'll turn out alright anyway"
The way I see it, it's not about executing perfectly as it is about gradually constructing a narrative and playing certain sides against one another to create chaos in which he has the advantage.

Trump has done nothing successfully that he has tried to do.

He made a billion dollars.

Then he lost it, but made it back again.

He won the Republican primary.

He won the Presidency of the United States.

He made Rachel Maddow's fans hate her for a day.

cdyhybrid

The way I see it, it's not about executing perfectly as it is about gradually constructing a narrative and playing certain sides against one another to create chaos in which he has the advantage.

"He had the biggest inauguration crowd since Reagan, guys"

GhaleonEB

That "little shit" section was really striking. I read the intro that to that bit and thought he was going to zoom out on the overall policy roadmap or health care picture. Instead it was about his re-election.

"Let's take a step back from this bill you care, which can't be bothered to be versed in, and talk about how it affects me in 4 years."

Just incredibly oblivious of who he's talking to, what their motivations are and what they care about. Master negotiator my ass.

He BORROWED a billion dollars.

Fixed that first one for you.

Azuran

Banned
It's premature to discount Trump's overall game plan at this moment, IMO.

Perhaps, but that wouldn't demonstrate to the American public and to conservatives in particular, that the establishment Republican leadership is useless.

lmao

It amazes me that some people still believe Donald J Trump has a grand master plan to take down the establishment.

lmao no. He's just a fucking idiot who's out of his league that has no idea what he's doing.

Thing is, the chaos he's caused so far hasn't endeared him to more Americans. It's more than likely fucking his image and brand. And I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a financial hit once people, particularly his wealthy peers, see stories like this that make it clear he's 2% 5-year old playing pretend businessman & 98% nonce.

Fat4all

Banned
That "little shit" section was really striking. I read the intro that to that bit and thought he was going to zoom out on the overall policy roadmap or health care picture. Instead it was about his re-election.

"Let's take a step back from this bill you care, which can't be bothered to be versed in, and talk about how it affects me in 4 years."

Just incredibly oblivious of who he's talking to, what their motivations are and what they care about. Master negotiator my ass.

It's nuts.

His first 100 days and he's already worried about his reelection as well.

Jesus.

mjp2417

Banned

These are all meaningless generalities.
He is a buffoonish reality television show star who is grossly unqualified for his current job and consequently has an approval rating hovering around 40% after seeing a string of legislative failures in his first two months in office that culminated in a comical mishandling of the current GOP's entire stated raison d'être. He is being exposed in real time. His White House is also currently being investigated for fucking espionage. This is what happens when you hire unqualified and incompetent people.

What Trump doesn't understand, and probably never will, is that congress and the states don't work for him. He cannot 'fire' them, nor does he have the political capital to really effect them.

tuxfool

Banned
Thing is, the chaos he's caused so far hasn't endeared him to more Americans. It's more than likely fucking his image and brand. And I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a financial hit once people, particular possible partners, see stories like this that make it clear he's 2% 5-year old playing pretend businessman & 98% nonce.
Yeah. His approval ratings are sinking. Even among white males.

White Males FFS.

Quixzlizx

These are all meaningless generalities.
He is a buffoonish reality television show star who is grossly unqualified for his current job and consequently has an approval rating hovering around 40% after seeing a string of legislative failures in his first two months in office that culminated in a comical mishandling of the current GOP's entire stated raison d'être. He is being exposed in real time. His White House is also currently being investigated for fucking espionage. This is what happens when you hire unqualified and incompetent people.

The funny part is he could've hired a bunch of generically evil staffers instead of his posse of sycophantic fuckboys, but he only trusts yesmen.

And since he was completely toxic a year ago, only the bottom of the barrel scumbags were loyal to him from the beginning.

Owzers

It's really gross just how much trump didn't care what was in the bill and yet it still didn't pass.

We're going to cover everyone! Now let's have price and Ryan craft a bill that ignores everything I've said about healthcare.

Ithil

The "little shit" part tells you all you need to know about him as a "policy maker". He doesn't understand small details, nor does he want to. He only cares about how anything affects his personal ego or image as he perceives it.

By that token, he can't even conceive that the people he's talking to are the ones who care primarily about these small details.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Fixed that first one for you.
In the world of real estate, sometimes those things might as well be the same thing lol

Thing is, the chaos he's caused so far hasn't endeared him to more Americans. It's more than likely fucking his image and brand. And I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a financial hit once people, particularly his wealthy peers, see stories like this that make it clear he's 2% 5-year old playing pretend businessman & 98% nonce.
It might. It's still early though.

He is a buffoonish reality television show star who is grossly unqualified for his current job
Does that accurately describe a person who can win the presidency of the United States?

Fat4all

Banned
The funny part is he could've hired a bunch of generically evil staffers instead of his posse of sycophantic fuckboys, but he only trusts yesmen.

and because of the quality of personal he has on, they have no scruples going behind his back and leaking all of this to the press

it's fascinating to see play out, and frightening for our national security

Surfinn

It doesn't matter because either way Trump has to play the long game. Now he's just playing the long game after going all in and collapsing, thoroughly embarrassing himself and casting doubt about his ability to deliver.

In the world of real estate, sometimes those things might as well be the same thing lol

It might. It's still early though.

Does that accurately describe a person who can win the presidency of the United States?

yes? He'd hardly be the first bad or unqualified president we've ever had. Winning an election and actually having a solid grasp of policy and the ability to get things done are totally different things

Exactly, his entire angle is to get what he wants (re-elected) fuck everyone else and whatever the fuck they are yapping about in these "bills". Unfortunately for him its what is in the bills and how it affects Americans that determine his and the GOP's faith. He's a moron and the people around him are deluded morons too. Lets give thanks to that.

cj_iwakura

He's going to learn that running a corporation isn't the same as politics.

How the hell did he manage to even run a company, come to think of it?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Obama healthcare speech to joint session of congress:

"I understand that the politically safe move would be to kick the can further down the road -- to defer reform one more year, or one more election, or one more term.

But that is not what the moment calls for. That's not what we came here to do. We did not come to fear the future. We came here to shape it. I still believe that we can act when it's hard. I still believe we can replace acrimony with civility, and gridlock with progress. I still believe we can do great things, and that here and now we will meet history's test.

Because that's who we are. That is our calling. That is our character."

evidently

I think you're giving the presidency too much prestige.

Yep. At the end of the day, winning the presidency is ultimately just winning a popularity contest, (One with weird rules that allows you to win even if you aren't actually the most popular overall though). Getting the job and being able to do it are by no means the same thing

commedieu

Banned

Its easy to make money when you don't pay anyone.

I'm talking about his plans as president of the united states. The GOP base was raised on fear and hate, as well as blatant lies. Trump was the best at conning people, as he is a conman. Hardly a 40 dimensional chess. He must have planned the low voter turnout too, and all of the gerrymandering for decades. The american public voted for an open bigot, a pussy grabber, and someone who has some weird hate for Rosie O'donnell. He didn't 4d anyone besides the unfortunate people who are going to lose their coal jobs and healthcare. Again, hardly some crazy plan. Which he can't even pull off.

You can't use his past, to define his current position or abilities. In context, he isn't able to do anything. None of your bullet points paint him as an effective person to get things done in Washington. He has no experience with policies or law, outside of trying to get people thrown in jail that are innocent and settling lawsuits.

1. Ban muslims. Nope.
2. Mexico is paying for a wall. Nope.
3. Healthcare. Nope
4. The ability to vet people. Nope.

If your list is the base of the idea that he is playing 4d chess by not getting anything done as president, it doesn't speak to evidence that his failures as president, are part of a plan. It just means that one thing doesn't have much to do with the other.

I ask you why does his list of failures, as president, speak to some master plan. You give me his stump speech points.

Azuran

Banned
He's going to learn that running a corporation isn't the same as politics.

How the hell did he manage to even run a company, come to think of it?

The fact that he spent every weekend golfing perfectly show that Cheeto doesn't actually do any work.

There's absolutely no way he ran any of the crap he owns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom