• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: Sanders campaign begins laying off staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Update: He says he wants to stay in the race until the convention
Senator Bernie Sanders is planning to lay off “hundreds” of campaign staffers across the country and focus much of his remaining effort on winning California, he said in an interview Wednesday.

The Vermont senator revealed the changes a day after losing four of the five states that voted Tuesday and falling further behind Hillary Clinton in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination. Despite the changes, Mr. Sanders said he would remain in the race through the party’s summer convention and stressed that he hoped to bring staff members back on board if his political fortunes improved.

“We want to win as many delegates as we can, so we do not need workers now in states around country,” Mr. Sanders said in the interview. “We don’t need people right now in Connecticut. That election is over. We don’t need them in Maryland. So what we are going to do is allocate our resources to the 14 contests that remain, and that means that we are going to be cutting back on staff.”

When asked how many people would be let go, Mr. Sanders didn’t give an exact number but did say many people would be affected.

“It will be hundreds of staff members,” Mr. Sanders said. “We have had a very large staff, which was designed to deal with 50 states in this country; 40 of the states are now behind us. So we have had a great staff, great people.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/28/us/politics/bernie-sanders-campaign.html?_r=0

------
Bernie Sanders’ campaign started letting field staffers go on Wednesday, hours after five states in the Northeast voted and the Vermont senator fell further behind Hillary Clinton in the race for the Democratic nomination, five people familiar with the situation told POLITICO.

The extent of the cuts are unclear, but staffers who were working in states that voted Tuesday were told to look elsewhere for work rather than continue onto the next voting states, according to people close to the campaign.

"We're 80 percent of the way through the caucuses and primaries and we make adjustments as we go along. This is a process that we’ve done before of right-sizing the campaign as we move through the calendar," said Sanders' campaign communications director Michael Briggs.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/sanders-campaign-begins-laying-off-staff-222552#ixzz473p7h4E9

Nairume

Banned
Please donate more money to this clearly still viable campaign.

Or are they scaling fundraising requests back after last night?

dCGKCqa.gif

hawk2025

This can't be good. The race isn't over yet though, why would he do this?

Unless he can find the 7 chaos emeralds, the race is over.

I have to say, this feels a little sad. I hope leftover resources are used well for other candidates he and his supporters choose, and that they do well on elections.

Meowster

I don't have a problem if he decides to stay in but he needs to go back to focusing on the issues instead of making character attacks on Hillary. It's how he started out, it's how he should end.

"We're 80 percent of the way through the caucuses and primaries and we make adjustments as we go along. This is a process that we’ve done before of right-sizing the campaign as we move through the calendar," said Sanders' campaign communications director Baghdad Bob.

DNC and RNC are in a month and a half. The race for both parties is pretty much over. Sanders is cutting staff for the same reason Cruz is picking his VP.

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

Shitpost aside, I am looking forward to now focusing on the general election.

Also whats going to happen to all that donation money?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
This can't be good. The race isn't over yet though, why would he do this?

I really don't know. He has the momentum from the few delegates he won in Rhode Island. What is he thinking? Just because Clinton won her expected states doesn't mean that he should just quit! She won what she expected. On the other hand, Sanders unexpectedly won Rhode Island. He NEEDS to ride this out to California because if the trend continues, he's going to flip that state in his favor and win 90/10. Conceding now would be pointless when he knows very well that he has a better shot at clinching the nomination than Clinton. Don't let those god damned neoliberal shills get to you, Sanders. :/

I don't have a problem if he decides to stay in but he needs to go back to focusing on the issues instead of making character attacks on Hillary. It's how he started out, it's how he should end.

Hillary's campaign has been attacking Bernie since the beginning, since she really has no response to his policies. And looks like it worked for her...

Josh5890

If he wants to stay in the end he's gotta make those payroll cuts.

Man, is this guy desperate to stay in the limelight

Zornack

I agree. If he continues to attack Clinton then he needs to get out. If he switches to energizing new voters while attempting to influence the party's platform then he should stay in as long as he wants.

It's been over for a long time. Bernie's delegate math has relied on him to over perform polls and increase turnout and he hasn't been able to do that in the race, with a few excptions like Michigan. The "this is still a race" angle has been media spin since the early states really, but at least since Super Tuesday.

Tobor

More than that, he needs to start talking about how bad Trump would be for the nation. He needs to pivot his supporters to face the real threat.

Do your part, Bernie.

I really don't know. He has the momentum from the few delegates he won in Rhode Island. What is he thinking? Just because Clinton won her expected states doesn't mean that he should just quit! She won what she expected. On the other hand, Sanders unexpectedly won Rhode Island. He NEEDS to ride this out to California because if the trend continues, he's going to flip that state in his favor and win 90/10. Conceding now would be pointless when he knows very well that he has a better shot at clinching the nomination than Clinton. Don't let those god damned neoliberal shills get to you, Sanders. :/

I admire your optimism, but damn this reads like pure delusion.

Hillary's campaign has been attacking Bernie since the beginning, since she really has no response to his policies. And looks like it worked for her...

Ha ha ha. Clinton has treated Sanders with the kiddiest of kid gloves.

I wouldn't be talking about having no answers if I were you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom