• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Microsoft, give consumers the FPS counter on the front of the Xbox Scorpio

Waaghals

On the actual console?

Are they stupid?

Every Xbox since the 360 has supported some form of overlay. If you need to have a FPS counter, you put it there - like on pc.
It's like these people have no points of reference in terms og gaming and just picked the first idea that crossed their minds.

Of course it isn't beneficial for MS to make the consumer acutely aware of every time their console drops a frame.

Edit: Wait, this is obviously satire. I just skimmed the article.

Crayon

An intentional dumb joke article falls flat when you are known for unintentional dumb joke articles.

xabbott

It's dumb even as satire. It's not clever, and it sort-of jives with his earlier pieces on Scorpio, which pushes it even further towards being plain lame.

It'd be different if he'd be anti-specs in the past, but his most recent Scorpio article was all for pushing the spec thing.

He's showing how people on Twitter are hoping/asking for it on the consumer unit. Then pointing out how useless the display would be on a consumer unit. At least in a development or even PC environment, the user could adjust something to affect the numbers.

Oooooor they could just have a feature that you could turn on in the xbox settings for you to display it on screen or not. You know, common sense.

Not really. Its the reason I bought a PS4 Pro. Am sure I'm not alone on this.

I don't require or even ask for 60fps as a standard on consoles, but 30fps locked? Absolutely. And am all for putting pressure on studios that can't manage to hold down even that baseline. If the game advertises 60fps the game should hold to it.

Digital Foundry reports seem pretty popular, so I'd guess there's a decent audience out there for some kind of Fraps-ish overlay at least. Especially as we see more console games putting in more graphics options that can affect performance (because of more PC ports, and because of these mid-generation spec increase consoles).

Might be full on satire here but the idea itself of bubbling up some of this performance information makes some sense - at least on units being pushed for those who want more power and performance.

Exactly the obsession is ridiculous. Didn't say it doesn't matter, it does matter, just not THAT much. And it's clear in reality it doesn't matter that much... people touting Breath of the Wild as game of the generation already and it barely can handle 30fps (at launch).

Just this overwhelming obsession people put on it is way overblown and kind of childish in a way. Since it's the only tangible thing people can relate to about game creation and just want the biggest number possible ignoring all other aspects that go into game art.

With that said, I still highly value a stable framerate. I just wish we could stop idolizing the 60 number.

ty_hot

Why isnt Polygon banned? Seriously, 8 out of 10 articles from them are pure sensationalism, bulshit, stupid ideas... the other 2 are articles exist in other sites as well.

Why isnt Polygon banned? Seriously, 8 out of 10 articles from them are pure sensationalism, bulshit, stupid ideas... the other 2 are articles exist in other sites as well.
Please. Tell me which part of this clearly satirical article hurt your feelings most.

" no one is going to buy what’s promised to be the most powerful gaming console ever created to not know the frame rate of each game in real time"

There are so few people that can even tell or understand the differences between 30 and 60 that it's such an irrelevant addition that will likely cause more problems moving forward...

I can't wait for those that don't understand hardware bitching about why this game that runs at 30 FPS can't run at 60 FPS despite the better hardware.

EvB

Why are people against this?
Doesn't a huge part of the gaming community play PC games with frame counters etc on?

kazinova

corvette.jpg
I have this in my car, so I'm not a good judge, but if I had the option to have the screen on my console, I probably would. **shrugs**

Kayant

Why are people against this?
Doesn't a huge part of the gaming community play PC games with frame counters etc on?
I would say no. Also the point of a framecounter is to so you know how the game is performing then you can make adjustments if needed you don't have that option on console + most console players wouldn't care for performance metrics.

Sotha_Sil

I love having it on my PC, but thats the kind of thing that runs counter to what console gaming is about. Polygon really on a bad roll.

Seth

i want 60 LEDs on the front for a bigger representation. Just turn off X amount of LEDs so that the lit ones correspond with the frame rate.

Also they need to be super bright so i can't see ANYTHING (not even the game screen!) else. The bright fucking white light on the xbox one S isn't enough for me.

I would like it. Everything about the dev kits I think looks sensational and would love in the final product.

But I don't know what Polygon thinks it's going to accomplish with the article. At this point in the Scorpio's development I would imagine it's much too late for MS to consider whether or not to add something like to the final design. If it hasn't already.

Top Bottom