• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Microsoft, give consumers the FPS counter on the front of the Xbox Scorpio

dex3108

Hey GAF this will brighten your day :D

Listen, no one is going to buy what’s promised to be the most powerful gaming console ever created to not know the frame rate of each game in real time. What would be more comforting than to be able to look at your console while playing and see a nice, round “60” staring back at you to let you know your money wasn’t wasted?

Nothing, that’s what. I want a solid, concrete way to know the console is doing what I want it to do at all times. I need that sweet, sweet gratification of knowing games look and run better on my console of choice when compared to my past console or the competition. Which is why I want that front-facing OLED display from the development kit on the retail hardware, and I won’t hear a word otherwise.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/3/15532264/xbox-scorpio-fps-counter-dev-kit-screen

Cess007

What would be more comforting than to be able to look at your console while playing and see a nice, round ”60"

I can't believe someone actually wrote and think this (in a non-satiric way, I mean)

Edit. Is this parody? The tone of the article isn't really clear and reads like a serious request rather than parody, but parody would make more sense.

Regiruler

You know microsoft would just put a sticker.

I legitimately thought this meant first person shooter counter for a little bit.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
No, I don't want a light on the front on my box. The logo is already bright enough.

LordRaptor

Just stick a digital thermometer on the front of the Scorpio they send polygon and tell them its an FPS counter and watch those placebo effect reviews roll in, with the follow up editorial articles about "how come my xbox games run worse in the winter?"

Raide

Bad Polygon! Get in your basket!

A meaningless addition to a console that only a niche part of the userbase would actually want added.

Next they will be asking for Twitter posts to appear on it.

I re-read the article again.

I really do hope his intention was satire and a humorous tone that didn't quite get through.

Otherwise Ben is delusional. Seriously delusional.

JlNX

giphy.gif

hawk2025

I dunno, I get people's reactions, but I kinda like the idea after cutting through the awful writing and sarcasm of the piece.

Make it a "sliding" door so it doesn't show if someone doesn't want it, but I'd love to have this to have a look every now and then. :)

It would also help a ton with getting some early impressions from players that go beyond "it runs fine".

Of course, all of this would work just as well with a on-screen display, but hey! :p

Justinh

I had the same thought run through my head when I saw the dev twitter clip showing the FPS counter. "Man, I wish I could have that"

After thinking a moment, though... No I don't want that for a closed system where I can't change separately different graphical settings to get the game running at an "acceptable" level when I have an FPS counter staring me in the face.

They would never want to draw attention if a few frames dropped

Yeah, I was also wondering if this would piss off game devs as it would spotlight their games if they couldn't reach a locked framerate...

Top Bottom