• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Microsoft, give consumers the FPS counter on the front of the Xbox Scorpio

Microsoft, listen, I'm a seriously hardcore gamer. The hardest of them all. In an era of competitive iterative consoles, it is time to up the ante and give consumers what they want.

That's why I propose, nay, DEMAND, that Scorpio have a huge wobbling propeller on top that functions exactly like a helicopter. I want the controller to let me fly my Scorpio around. And I want it to call me by my real name: Master Boy.

Finaika

giphy.gif

That hair is glorious.

Are we making fun of Playstation owners?

Are we making fun of people who want a more powerful Xbox?

I'm trying to get on board here but it just seems like "lol u actually care about this stuff, lol haha"

The level of stupidity here really makes me think this is parody (albeit, poorly done). But considering the source, it's not even the weirdest thing we've seen come out of this outlet.

Caayn

I'd like the OLED display to remain on the retail unit, or just one SKU. As long as you can disable it when you want to.

But I highly doubt that it'll be part of the retail unit.

I need that sweet, sweet gratification of knowing games look and run better on my console of choice when compared to my past console or the competition.

Console wars are still in full swing in the gaming press it seems.

cakely

Ben Kuchera and Jez combine to make the dumbest gaming article of 2017.

Actually, maybe it's a joke? It's hard to tell.

We have to remember that a Polygon opinion piece isn't a backlash. No one at Microsoft cares about what you post in the hardware section of your favorite gaming website. I hate to be the bearer of bad news in this regard, but right a story about a Scorpio FPS counter amounts to a fart in the wind.

hawk2025

Are we making fun of Playstation owners?

Are we making fun of people who want a more powerful Xbox?

I'm trying to get on board here but it just seems like "lol u actually care about this stuff, lol haha"

The level of stupidity here really makes me think this is parody. But considering the source, it's not even the weirdest thing we've seen come out of this outlet.

It is -- he's making fun of the whole concept.

Justinh

Microsoft, listen, I'm a seriously hardcore gamer. The hardest of them all. In an era of competitive iterative consoles, it is time to up the ante and give consumers what they want.

That's why I propose, nay, DEMAND, that Scorpio have a huge wobbling propeller on top that functions exactly like a helicopter. I want the controller to let me fly my Scorpio around. And I want it to call me by my real name: Master Boy.

This reminds me of this...

wTYSEW6.gif

It is -- he's making fun of the whole concept.

I don't understand why a dev unit with an FPS counter is worth mocking, though...

Oh I guess he's making fun of twitter people... okay.

Guys the article is obviously a joke

Nothing, that’s what. I want a solid, concrete way to know the console is doing what I want it to do at all times. I need that sweet, sweet gratification of knowing games look and run better on my console of choice when compared to my past console or the competition. Which is why I want that front-facing OLED display from the development kit on the retail hardware, and I won’t hear a word otherwise.

The real mystery is the intent

Ghazi

If they wanted to include a frame counter with the console (hint: they wouldn't), they would just make it a setting that enables an overlay in game. It seems they're delving that way for OS features with the recent inclusion of the party chat overlay.

People complain all the time about the light on the Dualshock 4, why anyone thinks it's a good idea to have a bright light pointing at you is a good idea is beyond me.

see5harp

Read the article. It's obviously satire. I agree wanting a FPS counter on your box is sorta silly and unnecessary. Regardless, the main difference this gen wasn't FPS, it was resolution.

Nheco

what's the point in having a fps counter if in a console when I can't change any settings in order to improve my frame rate?

polygon pls

Bl@de

It won't happen because the truth would hurt the ego of fanboys when they realize that there will be no flashy 60 all the time. Aaaand it's too expensive.

The option for an OSD with FPS, VRAM, etc. in advanced options? Sure. But I doubt it.

liquidtmd

Banned
He's making a full article to make fun of the people who care about frame rates in relation to a console being sold specifically to a market who care about frame rates?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Fuck you guys, I'm down for it.

Gaf, that's all about articles and videos analyzing the shit out of the most minute performance shit, is against this? Stop acting above it nerds.

Too bright? Get outside more (or, duh, include a dimmer)

Ooh! a framerate counter where you can do absolutely nothing about those FPS drops. I'm already driven mad with my search for FPS perfection on my PC, so it would be kind of comforting to have a counter on a console there to reassure me that everything is meaningless and free will doesn't exist.

GAF doesn't read articles, Part 135.

It's clearly tongue-in-cheek.

I don’t want to have to argue about how games feel or how it’s all about having “fun” and “enjoying yourself with friends and family” when it comes to games. I want the strong, pleasing embrace of hard data. Nothing else will do.

Jesus guys, get a grip.

Top Bottom