• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Microsoft, give consumers the FPS counter on the front of the Xbox Scorpio

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
It fascinates me that Ben was like "yeah this is fine. Let's write this up and post it."

An intriguing man.

Ploid 3.0

I wouldn't even want a fps counter on my PC case. Heck I hate having to look up in the corner while I'm playing a new game to see what the FPS is when I have the meter activated. You guys don't want that. Leave that on PC and Dev kits. Console should be care free from the tweaking black hole. It sounds cool, but when you're stuck in it, it becomes an obsession. You will play less games, you will try to add extra cooling somehow, you will complain that Scorpio isn't as powerful as you want it to be, you may break your console trying to add liquid cooling mods and some shady overclock bios flash from the internet.

:jnc at people taking this seriously.

Come on people

You would be able to tell the Xbox Scorpio was worth the money because there are the numbers right there. You could also maybe program the screen to say other things, like “Sony? More like BALONEY!” and then give you a high-five on Twitter.

I think it would be improved to have a pop up window which is in the centre of the screen so you don't even need to take your eye off the tv. It can also sound off a siren warning note whenever it dips so your truly informed

Honestly if the article was a zero-humor attempt at making the argument of the headline, it would be bad. But the fact that it's a shitty attempt at humor by making fun of people's gaming preferences is also bad. It's a win-win whether you actually read the article or not!

More folks are reacting as though the former is the case, which is a bad look for us. I'm not defending Kuchera's sense of humor.

Dlacy13g

Wut? this would be the single worst idea they could possibly do at this point outside of doing something dumb like changing the final specs after the reveal with DF. I mean seriously...what company would ever put a read out on the front of their consumer product that the sole purpose of that readout would be to tell the consumer when their device was under performing?

LQX

I would not mind, especially if it could rely download status without having to wake-up the system or change inputs.

Also, why are so many of you seemingly so angry?

mazillion

I like this idea thb, maybe have a little "60" icon on the box that, when you reach 60fps, it lights up, rings a celebratory bell a few times, and maybe it could fire out a little bit of confetti too.

Don't get why anyone would want to see the FPS displayed in front of the unit? I'm struggling to even think of any other uses that would be beneficial - notifications for example would just be distracting when they can easily be displayed on the tv. The only use that would be useful could maybe be avaliable HDD space, but that's not much of a justification for the OLED display either. Nah, I don't get it.

EDIT: Ben be like:
cat-chasing-light.gif

Why would they do that on a console where you can't do anything about it? It's not like it'll be useful Information and you can go into the graphics settings and make changes. What a silly suggestion

It's obviously a joke

Alright, I guess the article wasn't that obvious after all

It is pretty obvious.

Smokey

Who asked for this outside of Polygon?

It makes perfect sense on a dev kit, but would look out of place and tacky on the retail version. If they were going to do something like this then they should do it at the SDK level, and allow a counter to be on screen for those hardcore enough to be interested. Just how it's done on PC. But on the front of the actual box itself? Nah.

DirtyLarry

It fascinates me that Ben was like "yeah this is fine. Let's write this up and post it."

An intriguing man.
I was covering CES many, many years ago for a small website.
2 idiots decide to cut the line for the Sony Presser and no one except me said anything.
One of the idiots turned around and I called him an asshole and he immediately turned around (I have been told I can be intimidating looking and I also am born and bred in New Jersey, so I have no problem calling someone an asshole and realize there may be consequences for doing so).
I was so enraged I made it a point to see what said idiots name was later on.
I also heard same said idiot later on that day bragging about how their website Ars Technica was the greatest site at the time.

I will give you one guess what their name was. Just one.

It is 110% a true story. I never forget an asshole. I have to believe his articles have just reinforced my experience that day.

packy34

This reads like a Jim Sterling-esque troll post, and it probably is...

But if it isn't, what the fuck, Polygon.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'd personally rather they didn't.

It'd be a hinderence on the design, an unnecessary cost and basically, it's not information most of the people buying it will care about.

Top Bottom