• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon posts ad/re-worded press release as 'News' & deletes user comments [Removed]

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
jbfaLnmS8CFYw0.png

That's the 'Dances With Skyrim' - chieftain right?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Giant Bomb's video content and posts over on RPS are really the only consistently worthwhile video game related content outside of GAF. Obviously individual sites will occasionally have good articles by very specific writers who have some kind of integrity, but shit like this is the norm at way too many sites for me to actual bother frequenting them.

bhlaab

I'm pretty glad they reported on this to be honest. It interests me as a true hardcore gamer because I'm a fan of Pizza Hut® and Microsoft® Avatar Rewards programs. I'll be sure to test the waters on this after I pick up Halo® 4 from Best Buy®. Pepsico®

Throughout all these "games journalism" threads over the last few days we (for the most part) have frowned upon the lavish press kits, exotic junkets, and general buddy-buddy behavior with PR. Giant Bomb, via Jeff and Patrick, have essentially said "yeah we do all this stuff, but we're immune to the influence, trust us." If that satisfies you, then there's nothing I can say to you, but it seems like some GB fans are creating a double standard.

are u trying to criticize giant bomb on neogaf? good luck dude

soultron

Banned
I feel bad for anyone in the gaming media now because it seems like there's a bloodthirsty cadre of gamers out there hell-bent on calling shenanigans on them. Doesn't a good portion of video game news (especially relating to stuff like pre-order bonuses and special offer deals) comes from press releases anyway?

Shurs

What were the things that Polygon were going to do differently than others sites?

The game changer, what was it?

Serious question, what was the new way of doing games journalism about?

They have better features than most sites.

Gannd

Banned
Polygon has no one to blame but themselves. They stated that they were going to "change everything" and that they were the great white hope of game journalism. The truth of the matter is that they are the same as any other gaming blog just with x2 the pretension. They like to have it both ways: we are different! Games matter! THIS IS MY REAL LIFE! and then when they face criticism, HEY MAN! IT IS JUST VIDEO GAMES.

You cannot have it both ways.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I feel bad for anyone in the gaming media now because it seems like there's a bloodthirsty cadre of gamers out there hell-bent on calling shenanigans on them. Doesn't a good portion of video game news (especially relating to stuff like pre-order bonuses and special offer deals) comes from press releases anyway?

If your take-away from this is that reporting on a press release is unacceptable, then you have a severe reading comprehension problem or you're just not paying attention.

Cronox

Banned
Why?

Seriously. Why not just print them verbatim and mark them as press releases?

I would have no problem with web sites marking press releases in their own category ("press releases" or "promotions"). Same goes for sales alerts. Anyhow, perhaps someone out there wants pizza and Halo 4, and might find the news to be a convenient coincidence. But that news shouldn't get top billing on the front page. Maybe a side bar?

Perhaps only press releases that can be significantly commented on should be posted. In a

"Press release"

--Commentary

kind of way.

soultron

Banned
If your take-away from this is that reporting on a press release is unacceptable, then you have a severe reading comprehension problem or you're just not paying attention.

Deleting comments was shitty, sure, but I think you can concede that the whole Press Reset fiasco has (perhaps rightfully) given a lot of people a strong anti-Polygon slant.

I would have no problem with web sites marking press releases in their own category ("press releases" or "promotions"). Same goes for sales alerts. Anyhow, perhaps someone out there wants pizza and Halo 4, and might find the news to be a convenient coincidence. But that news shouldn't get top billing on the front page. Maybe a side bar?
And if a site wants to put their own spin on the news there is nothing stopping them for adding a separate commentary area beneath the release.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Deleting comments was shitty, sure, but I think you can concede that the whole Press Reset fiasco has (perhaps rightfully) given a lot of people a strong anti-Polygon slant.

The self-important documentary funded by Microsoft certainly set Polygon up for some high expectations. They have only themselves to blame, though. They claimed to be doing something new. Something revolutionary. Something fresh.

It's not just the deleting of the comments. Do you really think a press release about getting some fucking multiplayer skins in a partnership with random fast-food joint is news-worthy and comparable to other press releases issued when new games get announced, reach a certain number of sales, "go gold," etc? It's not. The fact that anyone at Polygon thought it was news-worthy shows just how little vetting goes into what gets posted.

Even if it were news-worthy, how is taking a press release, making some slight adjustments to the wording, and posting it as an original article an acceptable practice? The fact that they went to that effort shows that they wanted to present the article as something created and published by Polygon. Why not just post the press release verbatim and preface it with a "Hey guys, Microsoft is sending out this press release for anyone who cares." statement? It still wouldn't be news-worthy for any respectable site, but at least it wouldn't like like they were trying to pass it off as some kind of original content.

Then they deservedly got flack for this bullshit. They deleted comments they didn't like. Yes, censorship of reasonable opinions. That tells you a lot about the people who work there, doesn't it? Then they get defensive and tell people to screw off. Finally, they admit that they fucked up, but instead of crediting their readers for pointing this out they come out with some bullshit about the article not living up to their high standards. If they had any standards, none of this would have happened.

Wow Doritos Limited Edition! They're probably made with foie gras instead of regular-ass cheese.

And that Mt. Dew is made with the urine of seraphs.

There are people here who are blowing this so far out of proportion (to the detriment of legitimate issues such as EG/MVC/Wainwright/Florence) that they will seriously believe you.

Lucky we have people like yourself who think that breaching their own ethical standards is not thread worthy isn't it?

Victrix

*beard*
Expect these coming your way, Polygon. Halo 4 Marketing Partners are getting these.

I so want this. Hey Microsoft/Frito-Lay, please send me a private message with contact information so that I can partake of your delicious Halo® branded Doritos® and Mountain Dew®

I'm ready to chug the charge. Or charge the chug. Crunch the intense futuristic flavor of Doritos® brand Covenant® tested snackfood.

xJavonta

Banned
The self-important documentary funded by Microsoft certainly set Polygon up for some high expectations. They have only themselves to blame, though. They claimed to be doing something new. Something revolutionary. Something fresh.

It's not just the deleting of the comments. Do you really think a press release about getting some fucking multiplayer skins in a partnership with random fast-food joint is news-worthy and comparable to other press releases issued when new games get announced, reach a certain number of sales, "go gold," etc? It's not. The fact that anyone at Polygon thought it was news-worthy shows just how little vetting goes into what gets posted.

Even if it were news-worthy, how is taking a press release, making some slight adjustments to the wording, and posting it as an original article an acceptable practice? The fact that they went to that effort shows that they wanted to present the article as something created and published by Polygon. Why not just post the press release verbatim and preface it with a "Hey guys, Microsoft is sending out this press release for anyone who cares." statement? It still wouldn't be news-worthy for any respectable site, but at least it wouldn't like like they were trying to pass it off as some kind of original content.

Then they deservedly got flack for this bullshit. They deleted comments they didn't like. Yes, censorship of reasonable opinions. That tells you a lot about the people who work there, doesn't it? Then they get defensive and tell people to screw off. Finally, they admit that they fucked up, but instead of crediting their readers for pointing this out they come out with some bullshit about the article not living up to their high standards. If they had any standards, none of this would have happened.

Shurs

There are people here who are blowing this so far out of proportion (to the detriment of legitimate issues such as EG/MVC/Wainwright/Florence) that they will seriously believe you.

Nah, they're happy to selectively choose to dislike one group of people doing the same thing as another group of people.

see5harp

They have better features than most sites.

Agreed. People like to see what they like to see. I've read great features on every site from Kotaku to Joystiq and very recently Polygon. I'm not going to get bent out of shape over something that 99% of the population already understands is not "news" or "journalism." I don't see a huge difference between doing it this way, copy and pasting the entire thing and posting it under a subcategory of news called "press releases" like Gamasutra, and taking the same content and rearranging in your own voice like Klepek (hint - that isn't jounalism either).

Nah, they're happy to selectively choose to dislike one group of people doing the same thing as another group of people.

Show me how that article breaches any ethical statement that GB have put out(I assume that is who you are referring to), if you can then they will have donr the same as Polygon, if mot you are comparing apples to oranges?

see5harp

Show me how that article breaches any ethical statement that GB have put out(I assume that is who you are referring to), if you can then they will have donr the same as Polygon, if mot you are comparing apples to oranges?

ESPN got into a similar issue because of the whole "worldwide leader in sports" tag. I suppose Polygon has singled themselves out as being a website trying something new. I still don't see how a single press release debacle somehow nullfies everything they have done in their short lifespan and questions everything they will do in the future. Many people have said the same thing about GB and being friends with Harmonix and Double Fine.

Harlock

The Press Reset was a lot of fun of making fun. The teaser helped a lot. :)

The forum is taking Polygon a lot hard. Deleting the comments was a mistake, but the guys are not bad people. Criticize too much become more annoying than constructive.

ESPN got into a similar issue because of the whole "worldwide leader in sports" tag. I suppose Polygon has singled themselves out as being a website trying something new. I still don't see how a single press release debacle somehow nullfies everything they have done in their short lifespan and questions everything they will do in the future. Many people have said the same thing about GB and being friends with Harmonix and Double Fine.

What is the point of an ethics statement if you are not going to stick to it? To compound that, when people pointed this out they deleted comments & claimed that they did nothing wrong, sounds pretty shitty to me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Nothing that Giant Bomb has done has led me to believe they are in cahoots with publishers.

They are probably the most transparent video game dudes on the Internet when it comes to their video content at least. Quick Looks are also just about the best thing to happen to video game media in recent years.

see5harp

What is the point of an ethics statement if you are not going to stick to it? To compound that, when people pointed this out they deleted comments & claimed that they did nothing wrong, sounds pretty shitty to me.

I think deleting comments that questioned the post was the wrong way to address criticism but the way you are talking is like the integrity and credibility of their entire site is under question because is a silly press release. Grown people can distinguish between bullshit and something worth talking about.

see5harp

Nothing that Giant Bomb has done has led me to believe they are in cahoots with publishers.

They are probably the most transparent video game dudes on the Internet when it comes to their video content at least. Quick Looks are also just about the best thing to happen to video game media in recent years.

This whole thing with Eurogamer started based on relationships between PR/devs and press though. That's the only reason Giant Bomb is getting brought up. Nothing would lead me to believe anything wrong is going on at Giant Bomb and they've been as transparent as they possibly can be with quick looks and reviews. I'm just saying a dumb press release about Pizza Hut has just as much chance as ending up AS NEWS on Giant Bomb. I don't see anything wrong with it posted as news. The original thread existed long before they started deleting comments and there were tons of people here crying foul. There isn't anything unethical about copy and pasting a press release. In the games industry it's like posting an AP article.

I think deleting comments that questioned the post was the wrong way to address criticism but the way you are talking is like the integrity and credibility of their entire site is under question because is a silly press release. Grown people can distinguish between bullshit and something worth talking about.

It has fuck all to do with it being a press release, the original image used for the story was the actual advert that Pizza Hut will use(& they managed to fuck that up too, they cut out the terms & conditions, which is why I believe they changed the image), that is a clear breach of their policy. Add that to the fact that the editorial staff were naive enough to let a UK journalist post that without checking that it was suitable to post, doesn't paint them with much credit.

I'm just saying a dumb press release about Pizza Hut has just as much chance as ending up AS NEWS on Giant Bomb

Do you have any evidence for that claim?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Not just a silly press release, but the way in which it was posted and how they handled criticism is what really puts their site under question. How could it not be more clear?

see5harp

Not just a silly press release, but the way in which it was posted and how they handled criticism is what really puts their site under question. How could it not be more clear?

It is clear that you are upset with the way they handled the criticism which is why I just said that. I still don't get the transition from lazy news post that probably didn't cross any senior editors desk to the entire site and staff being questioned. Have you read their features? What about their site content do you dislike at this point?

Top Bottom