• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon/Verge writer says Naughty Dog staff said inappropriate things to her (quote)

watdaeff4

"After I introduced myself as a reporter" doesn't sound like it was a professional setting. Otherwise, many people would know who this ND dev is.

So.........that makes it okay?

I don't want to assume I'm reading the intent of your post, but it seems that is what you are saying.

What the hell is happening at Naughty Dog

This sounds so far like someone who's in his early 20s who hasn't learned how you're supposed to talk to women without making them feel uncomfortable. A problem, but not sure it warrants this kind of reaction.

I've worked for companies that were good places to work but had some creepy guy working there, and if someone said, "What's happening at your workplace?!" I would have said, "It's not the workplace. That guy is a creep, though."

I wonder if this will get the same "hide it under the rug" response as the previous guy.. Makes you wonder how prevalent it is in other game companies

The previous story seemed like there was way more to it than simply his tweets.

I tried to point out something regarding her way of bringing light to what happened to her.

"Her way" was to respond to a story of sexual harassment allegations at Naughty Dog. By saying that she's seeking attention is to imply that her experience is not relevant to the conversation. "Her way" was literally just "I don't find this story surprising because something similar happened to me."

Honestly, if someone who worked for me said something like this - I'd fire them.
In fact, if I was high up at Naughty Dog, I'd find out who it was that said this and fire them now.
This isn't okay and it's an embarrassment for the company.

Working in games isn't just about making games - it's about how you interact with others and also how you represent yourself and the company on social media.

You leak the game on Twitter? Fired.
You bad mouth the company on Facebook? Fired.
You speak like this to a person who you really want to keep on-side, and make the company look bad, disrespecting someone who, in real terms, the company works with? You bet your ass your fired.

So how does a twitter post referencing Naughty Dog gain legal traction? I imagine these claims need to be investigated. Shouldn't she file suit with the police? I don't understand, I guess

Unless something physically happened, I doubt the police are going to do anything on this case as it was a one off situation. The culprit could easily say they were joking.

If he was harassing her then that's another story.

labaronx

It's very easy to separate a post from a point, your point wasn't and isn't wrong. Your post that people are responding to is dumb. "Should I do X" is always a shitty post, especially in threads like this. Your Justice League analogy also fails because the same conversation is being had about that, and people are coming to the decision to not watch it.

With regards to fanboying, there will definitely be people who continue to play or ignore this news for reasons of brand loyalty, that doesn't mean every single person who still plays ND games is blinded by loyalty, but there will be some.

Um what?

I apologize if i wasnt clear or didnt make my point clearer. Again im not knocking anyones decision in any way, i was just offering a counterpoint and it seems i failed in that regard.

Ferr986

Honestly, if someone who worked for me said something like this - I'd fire them.

In any decent job you would be fired for this. I would , and I work in a shitty ass place, imagine something as big as ND.

This sounds so far like someone who's in his early 20s who hasn't learned how you're supposed to talk to women without making them feel uncomfortable. A problem, but not sure it warrants this kind of reaction.

It does, stop with the excuses, you're an adult, women don't have to keep getting harassed because you don't act like one.

It's time to stop this shit already, woman left and right are getting harassed while we just make excuses for the harassers.

I've worked for companies that were good places to work but had some creepy guy working there, and if someone said, "What's happening at your workplace?!" I would have said, "It's not the workplace. That guy is a creep, though."
Hot take, maybe if someone acts that creepy and it was an early 20s guy he should have been fired on the spot.

She could have just said why no is that how things work for you in your profession and go public on the spot. Women need to react to these things on spot and go public on time ratjer than wait on it until whenever it becomes old news to most.

I apologize if i wasnt clear or didnt make my point clearer. Again im not knocking anyones decision in any way, i was just offering a counterpoint and it seems i failed in that regard.
You're fine. I recognise your post was in the right place, but I can see faults with that approach of argument. It's also used quite a bit in these threads as a strawman.

I think the in the hat of time thread someone did it to me, like "you can't boycott this game because the phone you're using was made by companies that use child labour".

redcrayon

That's so fucked up.

She should have named the person though (don't know how it works or if she's even legally allowed to do so). I wonder if she reported it to Naughty Dog and they did/didn't take action? I'm thinking as a company its pretty hard to regulate what some of your dickhead employees might say, but if she reported it and they did nothing then it's not a good look for them.
A lot of the times this shit happens people let it go at the time for any number of reasons. Based on my own experience in publishing, examples might be: Fear that the relevant HR department is going to do very little if it's a 'he said, she said' situation with an outsider. Fear that your own company isn't going to back you in a fight with a major advertiser. Fear that the bloke getting a slap on the wrist isn't worth burning contacts with a major studio over if she gets accused of being 'difficult'. Prior experience with general low-level sexism meaning that the idea of what's 'normal' gets twisted until a while later you realise that no, it's not fucking normal.

I mean, sure, with hindsight, you'd think that you can email the guys boss/HR and say 'x said this, it's unacceptable', but the realities of the relationships between the companies involved and one-sided general sexism mean that, without hard proof, sometimes people choose to walk away and then it just eats at them over time.

Several of my female journalist and photographer colleagues over the years have had to deal with this kind of shit, it's hard to fight every battle when it happens so often and often involves doors being closed on your career and credibility on the quiet.

Rmagnus

Banned
She could have just said why no is that how things work for you in your profession and go public on the spot. Women need to react to these things on spot and go public on time ratjer than wait on it until whenever it becomes old news to most.

Come on man.... Really woman need to fucking do something? How about treat the woman as a fucking human being is that too profound? I don't even understand why woman need to do any fucking thing

There are a lot of reasons for women to not speak out right away, because it can actually create a ton of trouble for them and their careers. That is why we should applaud people speaking up instead of blaming them for not doing it earlier.

labaronx

You're fine. I recognise your post was in the right place, but I can see faults with that approach of argument. It's also used quite a bit in these threads as a strawman.

I think the in the hat of time thread someone did it to me, like "you can't boycott this game because the phone you're using was made by companies that use child labour".

Yeah i can see them now too. Ill try to make my points a luttle better... thanx for that

It does, stop with the excuses, you're an adult, women don't have to keep getting harassed because you don't act like one.

It's time to stop this shit already, woman left and right are getting harassed while we just make excuses for the harassers.

What excuse? If the last thread showed anything, it's that people overreact before they have the facts. You can't automatically indict a company for the action of one person. The individual I mentioned put his hands on me at my previous job. I reported him, it was taken care of, and it was not an indictment of my workplace. Anybody who would have said, "Man, what's happening where you work?" would have overreacted, as opposed to, "What's wrong with that guy?" to which I could have given them an essay as to what was wrong with him.

Hot take, maybe if someone acts that creepy and it was an early 20s guy he should have been fired on the spot.

Of course? Or at least a suspension.

I'd be more disturbed if this happened at Naughty Dog, she reported it, and nothing happened. That would bring a different perspective of this entire thing to me. If it happened, especially outside of work, and she didn't report it, then of course he wasn't fired on the spot. If the former, then I'm quite disturbed by that. At a minimum, that should be a suspension.

Alebelly

It's a drastically more complicated issue legally. It's very rare there's documentation of any kind for "casual" (for lack of a better word) instances of sexual harassment like this, or even those that are significantly more dangerous ones. Any proof the victim would need to defend his or herself from being sued for libel is extremely rare.

Thanks

TsuWave

Tbh with the backlash victims of sexual harassment often get its explainable and understandable why some don't "react" or "go public". there also could be professional repercussions etc. its fucked up.

But I also think that if ND were not made aware of the situation/this instance, it's hard/impossible for them to take action, but if they were notified and took no action then they got to answer for this...

Sayad

So.........that makes it okay?

I don't want to assume I'm reading the intent of your post, but it seems that is what you are saying.

"But I'm gonna do it anyway"! You have to be really starving for blood to get to that conclusion, though!

Again I wrote it feels like attention seeking, and I stick to that.

I don't really care about naughty dog as a dev so I'm not trying to defend them. I tried to point out something regarding her way of bringing light to what happened to her.

(As a side note, I almost always feel this way about twitter in general. There is something that bothers me about it as a communication form. I can't exactly pinpoint what, but probably its shortness is the problem.)

I acknowledge what bothers me with her comment has more to do with the nature of twitter and this thread/topic clearly wasn't the best place to voice my problems, so I hereby ask for an apology from everyone to whom I may insulted in any way.

Harrasment is a crime should be taken seriously.

That's better. Just know shit like this is what makes people avoid airing accusations because they are essentially shamed.

Lurk

Banned
As an employer you are responsible for the behavior of your staff on company time to some extend. If your company has an environment where this happens, it should be fixed.

Not seeing a culture seeing individuals and one of them ND have already talked about and said there wasn't sufficient proof at the time but are again looking into it, seems like they are taking this seriously and trying to make things right, doesn't seem like a company with their head in the sand.

As for the twitter comment, that comment could have come off as just a awkward guy with no social skills, being an awkward guy with no socials skills if the additional info is indeed correct, which is weird, as a journalist why wasn't that comment made public before now?

Not seeing a culture seeing individuals and one of them ND have already talked about and said there wasn't sufficient proof at the time but are again looking into it, seems like they are taking this seriously and trying to make things right, doesn't seem like a company with their head in the sand.

As for the twitter comment, that comment could have come off as just a awkward guy with no social skills, being an awkward guy with no socials skills if the additional info is indeed correct, which is weird, as a journalist why wasn't that comment made public before now?
Nothing you say goes against my point of the company being responsible for their employees here.

To brush this of as "awkward guy with no social skills" is pretty disgusting. It creates an excuse that they shouldn't be to blame for their behavior. They are fully responsible. "Oh, they are just awkward" is not an acceptable excuse.

As to why the comment wasn't made public before. Why would it have been? It is relevant now because of another story. That made her put it out there in public. We see this all the time, that people feel safer speaking up after others have done so already. Nothing weird about that.

This sounds like excusing the guy at ND just because he's 20 and doesn't know how to talk to women, something that doesn't fly to anyone.

You need to learn how to read an entire post.

I'm not excusing the guy, especially if this happened at work. That's a suspension, minimum, without pay. But indicting an entire company? That's an overreaction.

KOHIPEET

"Her way" was to respond to a story of sexual harassment allegations at Naughty Dog. By saying that she's seeking attention is to imply that her experience is not relevant to the conversation. "Her way" was literally just "I don't find this story surprising because something similar happened to me."

Well. That's an interpretation I didn't consider. It does make more sense to view her tweet as a response to recent events.

redcrayon

Online defamation of a company is fine though.
Just as well that opinion and fair comment cover the vast majority of forum hot takes then. I seriously doubt that the opinion of gaf poster #456 is causing serious further harm to the reputation of Naughty Dog. If such opinion was on the front page of gamesjourno.com or whatever with xxxxxx hits per day, then sure, that could well be libellous in some countries (far more likely to succeed in the UK. than the US), although at the moment even then they could probably argue it was currently well within the field of public interest considering current running stories. Funny old thing, media law.

derFeef

Well. That's an interpretation I didn't consider. It does make more sense to view her tweet as a response to recent events.

There is a reason woman don't speak up about those issues, and we see it in this thread. They get victim shamed and doubted, then harassed again, or even worse. It takes some serious guts to speak up. That's why you see this things happening when one brave woman starts to speak up and tell their story.

There is a reason woman don't speak up about those issues, and we see it in this thread. They get victim shamed and doubted, then harassed again, or even worse. It takes some serious guts to speak up. That's why you see this things happening when one brave woman starts to speak up and tell their story.

The problem is even worse when it's handled privately by the legal system, which sometimes ends up a total joke.

Yeah, the screen cap in the OP starts at her 2nd post in the Twitter thread.

Here's the context: https://twitter.com/Megan_Nicolett/status/920283989038059521

r4wXh3c.jpg

Thorrgal

It's also curious that he same guy bumped both threads 3 days after the news came out and was already reported on those threads and after commenting on them.

I thought this were new allegations but no one has come forward since Tuesday.

jacobeid

Banned
This is NOT a good look for ND

None of this has been, no matter how you slice it.

It's almost like that statement they came out with is complete bullshit. This quote doesn't seem like something someone would say in an environment where sexual harassment has no tolerance.

Hell, I wouldn't say that shit to someone I just met in private, let alone in a professional setting. Fuck.

Lurk

Banned
I wouldn't be shocked to hear that actually there are other companies and websites that have these dirt bags in their groups though,

unfortunately I feel there will be a shower of these events coming soon, makes me feel sick.

Top Bottom