• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon's marathon Xbox One live stream

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The load times are something that got comments on other sites too. Don't know if multi platform games are slower than PS4 or just the exclusives. Might be interesting to test?

kurbaan

Banned
Whatever floats your boat I guess.

That stuff is useless to me. All it does is create unnecessary data and create huge amounts of network traffic for Twitch and co. (which I am sure they get compensated for by the platform holders).

The game dvr stuff, sharing short clips that is cool. But streaming and archiving some random dude playing a game? Nah, if you really want to stream and have an audience that watches your shit, you already have the hardware (and it also is much better quality as well).

Lol wut? Unnecessary traffic for twitch? They want everyone streaming. Thats like saying people uploading videos to youtube is unnecessary data for google that they dont want.

And the live streaming stuff is really sick. It doesnt have to be streaming to a wide audience. The day I got my PS4 i was just streaming to 4-5 of my friends all the different games showing them off. It made all o them want a PS4 for Killzone. Thats powerful. Now if one of my friends gets a new game they can stream it for us or vice versa can all check it out decide if its good.

Lima

Lol wut? Unnecessary traffic for twitch? They want everyone streaming. Thats like saying people uploading videos to youtube is unnecessary data for google that they dont want.

And the live streaming stuff is really sick. It doesnt have to be streaming to a wide audience. The day I got my PS4 i was just streaming to 4-5 of my friends all the different games showing them off. It made all o them want a PS4 for Killzone. Thats powerful. Now if one of my friends gets a new game they can stream it for us or vice versa can all check it out decide if its good.

So yeah it's cool for you. For me probably the most useless feature on both consoles.

Jomjom

Banned
Whatever floats your boat I guess.

That stuff is useless to me. All it does is create unnecessary data and create huge amounts of network traffic for Twitch and co. (which I am sure they get compensated for by the platform holders).

The game dvr stuff, sharing short clips that is cool. But streaming and archiving some random dude playing a game? Nah, if you really want to stream and have an audience that watches your shit, you already have the hardware (and it also is much better quality as well).

Don't think you really understand how Twitch works or how it makes money.

Also it's fine you don't like Twitch, but there are literally millions upon millions of people who do. You don't need a load of followers to make streaming on twitch useful or fun. Just the other day I was playing Resogun and streaming it for 4-5 friends and we had fun just having them tease me whenever I died and whatnot. I would never have paid for extra equipment to do that. I'm sure there are lots of other users who are in the exact position I'm in.

SRTtoZ

So yeah it's cool for you. For me probably the most useless feature on both consoles.

And that's fine because you are obviously buying an XB1 for its feature set, I get that. I was simply stating that in 2014, there is NOTHING futuristic about swapping between apps. Convenient? Cool? Sure. Should it be showcased on the carousel of progress at Disney? Na, not really.

Lima

And that's fine because you are obviously buying an XB1 for its feature set, I get that. I was simply stating that in 2014, there is NOTHING futuristic about swapping between apps. Convenient? Cool? Sure. Should it be showcased on the carousel of progress at Disney? Na, not really.

No I'm buying it for the games, the same reason I'm getting a PS4 next week when it releases here in Europe.

This optional stuff that is "there" is cool, but I'm in it for the games. I could do without all the other stuff really.

SRTtoZ

No I'm buying it for the games, the same reason I'm getting a PS4 next week when it releases here in Europe.

This optional stuff that is "there" is cool, but I'm in it for the games. I could do without all the other stuff really.

Honestly that goes without saying since we all have active accounts on NEOGAF after all.

SRTtoZ

Holy crap that's bad. Kinect totally failed. There's gonna be a lot of smashed Xbones at launch ;)

Watch the Verge part as well. They give you their thoughts on it (not good) and then they live demo it and its also pretty bad.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Griffin McElroy in the wrap up also not entirely sold on the Xbox. (to be fair he doesn't think either machine has a must-have reason to buy). Doesn't think he'd ever use voice commands, and loves remoteplay

I think a lot does depend on your circumstances. Eg I play a lot after the kids have gone to bed, and also quite a lot after my wife has gone to bed. So voice commands would be a no-no for me, it'd disturb people. So knowing that the fallback of using a controller isn't great is really bad for me.

TaroYamada

I honestly wish I didn't have to say this: WTF is wrong with MS with this Kinect trash? It. Doesn't. Work.

GG Allin shoved bananas up his ass onstage to be different, didn't make him a great musician. Being different while also bring shitty is a far worse crime than Sony oversimplifying their OS.

I really wish Kinect worked as they claim. I bought into their koolaid the first time until I tried one.

Microsoft seems determined to design UIs that are designed around questionable methods of user input lately, basing X1's UI around faulty voice commands and basing Windows 8's UI around touch when the vast majority of Windows users use touchpads/mice.

Microsoft seems determined to design UIs that are designed around questionable methods of user input lately, basing X1's UI around faulty voice commands and basing Windows 8's UI around touch when the vast majority of Windows users use touchpads/mice.

They're trying desperately to be the leader in a new market (voice commanded setup boxes, touch based desktop). It's going to fail on both counts, they're already admitting defeat on touch based desktops that no one wants yet

Main issue with Kinect is that that the technology is probably still 3-4 years away from being 99% accurate, and that's what it needs to be for people to jump on

K.Sabot

Going through this stuff, their video player is brilliant.

It's so snappy. Wish that other big personality driven game site had a player as good as this one.

TaroYamada

They're trying desperately to be the leader in a new market (voice commanded setup boxes, touch based desktop). It's going to fail on both counts, they're already admitting defeat on touch based desktops that no one wants yet

Main issue with Kinect is that that the technology is probably still 3-4 years away from being 99% accurate, and that's what it needs to be for people to jump on

Last numbers I saw on tablet shipments were a decent start, but I haven't looked in a while. Regardless, I don't think they are backtracking so much on metro in Win8, Win8.1's changes were rather minor and the press overstated their meaning imo. I ended up just installing Classic Shell to avoid the jarring full-screen menu on my desktop.

I think I'd be fine with metro on some type of Windows 8 convertible device but in a situation where a mouse is available and makes sense I'll take the mouse 100% of the time, as will most people I think.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I honestly wish I didn't have to say this: WTF is wrong with MS with this Kinect trash? It. Doesn't. Work.

GG Allin shoved bananas up his ass onstage to be different, didn't make him a great musician. Being different while also bring shitty is a far worse crime than Sony oversimplifying their OS.

I really wish Kinect worked as they claim. I bought into their koolaid the first time until I tried one.

If the motion stuff doesn't work, why bother with the expense of IR cams and time of flight stuff? Just have a really good microphone for the voice recognition, and a simple camera - that would be enough for the voice navigation and the facial login which seem to be the main areas that work(ish)

Bedlam

Wow, that Kinect video. That thing is still a complete and utter failure apparently.

And even though the gesture UI was the one thing that kinda did work, he reverts to using a controller after a few minutes because Kinect controls take forever. Simply pressing a button is still superior to waving your arms or speaking with your console, who would've thought...

edit: Polygon's video player is indeed pretty fantastic I have to say.

Yeesh, Kinect ain't exactly Minority Report, eh?

Completely sucky that Xbone reviews mentioned Kinect was good now, when it still just seems as crummy as ever. Voice commands alone don't justify the extra $100 since the DualShock 4 and a headset can do that on the PS4...

Nymphae

Banned
Fuck all the previews said Kinect was really responsive this time around etc..

Wtf happened?

Hopeful previews I guess. Nobody wants to just come out and say the tech fucking sucks and it needs a lot more time in the oven. It needs to work as fast as a controller, every single time you use it, or people will not want to switch.

I don't know GiantBomb said the voice and facial recognition work great?

Yeah I was under the impression that as long as you said the correct command and there wasn't any cross talk between people that the Kinect was pretty damn accurate. Did something come up recently that says otherwise? Because it seemed like that was the case during the Polygon stream yesterday. The only time Kinect took a shit is when they'd make up their own commands or they were talking over each other while giving commands.

The other thread about Polygon got shut down (rightfully so), but there's a table that I really wanted to post. Below is a list of Xbox and Playstation high profile exclusives and Polygon vs Metacritic comparison. Of course some of those differences are very minor, but Polygon scores really seem to be leaning one way... I find this kind of interesting.

RVClTZn.jpg

Edit: Typo in Dead Rising row. Small change in favor of Polygon. :)

The other thread about Polygon got shut down (rightfully so), but there's a table that I really wanted to post. Below is a list of Xbox and Playstation high profile exclusives and Polygon vs Metacritic comparison. Of course some of those differences are very minor, but Polygon scores really seem to be leaning one way... I find this kind of interesting.

SsDxkPX.jpg

I can think of about 750,000 reasons for those differences.

RVClTZn.jpg

Edit: Typo in Dead Rising row. Small change in favor of Polygon. :)

Funnily enough the ones scored above is the ones everyone already knew were gonna tank.

Jomjom

Banned
I don't know GiantBomb said the voice and facial recognition work great?

Polygon also said that the voice and facial works great in their review ("SOOOO FUTURE"). Not so much in their livestream.

Why don't we wait for GiantBomb's stream to see how that goes?

Curufinwe

Polygon actually came across very well in the video.

Apart from the fact The Xbone didn't work nearly as well as they claimed it did in their review.

nib95

Banned
Yes, someone made a 15 minute recap of the stream and it is glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbjes4_vL7Y

Fucking hell that was hilarious, and the third stream I've seen now where Kinect voice gestures basically do not work reliably. To make it all the more laughable, here's what Polygon wrote about Voice Commands in their Xbox One review...

Polygon said:
The good news? Issues aside, it really works. In fact, the fastest way to navigate the Xbox One's user interface is via the incredibly robust suite of voice commands. The friction that limited voice commands on the Xbox 360 with Kinect is all but gone. Now you can order the system to go from one app to another from anywhere — whether it's to watch TV, start Netflix or boot up a game. There's little perceptible lag from finishing a command and the results on screen.

So fast that in their live stream they decided to ditch using voice commands and just use the controller instead.

The site continues to embarrass itself.

Fucking hell that was hilarious, and the third stream I've seen now where Kinect voice gestures basically do not work reliably. To make it all the more laughable, here's what Polygon wrote about Voice Commands in their Xbox One review...

So fast that in their live stream they decided to ditch using voice commands and just use the controller instead.

well they only claim that it works, not that it works well... lol

nib95

Banned
well they only claim that it works, not that it works well... lol

They claim it's the fastest way to navigate the UI, whereas based on their own stream and others, it seems that is not the case at all. Using the controller is still by far the quickest and most reliable method.

They claim it's the fastest way to navigate the UI, whereas based on their own stream and others, it seems that is not the case at all. Using the controller is still by far the quickest and most reliable method.

controller is definitely more reliable, but the impression I got is doing all that media stuff with controller is really tedious, like there's a lot of step taken just to make it do simple thing. so they could still be telling the truth about the speed, but that's more like the controller usability is sucks to begin with.

I think ms should have add a 'snap' button on the controller or something

Curufinwe

They should knock a point off the score after all the times Kinect failed on their own livestream.

Hi, my name is Brian McFurgleton
yes, that'll do

I work for Polygon and hold the position of head technical streaming expert of streaming and what you saw wasn't the Kinect failing, it was the dynamic acoustics of the room failing. Hostile particles in the air can have an abject negative effect on the Kinect system and its fantastically robust voice activation. It was our fault for not clearing the room properly for Kinect. As it stands, Kinect works ALL the time, it's just that this one time it didn't work properly. Which was our fault. Not Kinect. Which is brilliant.

Yours Sincerely,

Brian McDurginton,

Head Technical Streaming Expert,
Polygon

Make your console this Christmas an X-Box One.

alterno69

Banned
What i've seen in pretty much every Xbone realtime video is that it just doesn't work. Like someone mentioned in one stream, a controller works 100% of the time, if your killer feature and the reason your system is more expensive fails to work even 5% of the time, it sucks. That's not even mentioning the horrendous loading times for all the games, i mean one minute for a checkpoint?

I was really considering getting one eventually when the price is right but unless they redesign the UI to be more efficient without Kinect, i'm not getting it.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Hi, my name is Brian McFurgleton
yes, that'll do

I work for Polygon and hold the position of head technical streaming expert of streaming and what you saw wasn't the Kinect failing, it was the dynamic acoustics of the room failing. Hostile particles in the air can have an abject negative effect on the Kinect system and its fantastically robust voice activation. It was our fault for not clearing the room properly for Kinect. As it stands, Kinect works ALL the time, it's just that this one time it didn't work properly. Which was our fault. Not Kinect. Which is brilliant.

Yours Sincerely,

Brian McDurginton,

Head Technical Streaming Expert,
Polygon

Make your console this Christmas an X-Box One.

Just admit it, people can handle the truth

It was ghosts

Top Bottom