• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polytron Hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

Devs and journalists already blaming "gamers" as a whole on twitter.

The thing is they are as much "gamers" as we are. There are bad people who are "gamers" and there are good people who are "gamers."

This isn't about "gamers" outside the fact that there is a community within gaming that can be complete assholes, some are even criminals. That doesn't mean that gaming is bad or those who identify as "gamers" are bad. Someone's little brother or sister may say they are a "gamer," and that doesn't mean they are part of a toxic community.

People are people. Assholes and criminals supported and cheered on the criminals who hacked people's business's and jeopardized their livelihoods. That's what this story is. What can we do to stop a hacker from doing this? What can we do to stop hackers at all?

Corpekata

Banned
I can easily see why people would want to blame gamers as a whole. This isn't exactly an isolated story. It's just the latest part in the last week with nearly every discussion forum for gaming being overrun by really nasty shit. Might just be one guy here but the nasty, howling masses have been pretty visible lately.

Silky

Banned
Phil's a cunt, but no one deserves their personal info out like this if it were real. Show some fucking empathy.

Goddard

Let's see how outspoken Phil is now after all this.

It could probably go either way. Either he gets the feeling that he doesn't have much to lose and goes all out, or he hammers the nail into the coffin and just deletes all his social media. He's a pretty unpredictable fella, I wouldn't bet on it.

I don't know anything about "hacking", how does something like this happen?

That seems like a wide amount of shit to gather, was this stuff stored on his website?

If I had a guess, I would assume that he uses a program that stores all his passwords for ease of access to sites. Either someone/a group cracked his private key (Not likely) or they got a hold of the master password to access that program. Social hacking probably had something to do with it too, that's a common way to get into shit to start getting some leaks on the boat so to speak.

I'm not sure, I'm not entirely familiar with those master key systems, I don't use them.

I know for damn sure people will disagree with me. But why would /v/ come out and say this was them? they dont do that. Even on /v/ people are saying its dumb and an obvious attempt to get some ammo against them in the whole situation.

inb4hurdurconspiracytheorist

Chindogg

Fish is a total asshole who humiliated a victim of sexual harassment, but he doesn't deserve to be doxxed. That's some really fucked up shit right there.

If I had to guess, they probably got his onepassword master key.
I reckon they accessed his primary email, either by guessing the password, socially engineering support staff to get the password reset on his primary email, or something along those lines. Another method (if the primary email is a domain account, not a free one like Gmail) is getting access to the domain control panel and redirecting the email to another account you control.

Once you have access to someone's "primary" email account, you start going to websites like 1Password, KeePass, LastPass, Amazon, etc and requesting password resets, and suddenly you have access to the lot.

This is why you need a separate "password reset" email account you only use for password resets, and you never, ever, ever record the details anywhere, not even in a password manager.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Phil Fish has kept himself in the public eye by being a dick on Twitter. He had to keep poking the bear.

Live by the sword...

Yes, because clearly being a dick is grounds to people breaking the god damn law to fuck with you and people you've associated with.

Matriox

Do you know him personally? I never get why people get riled up for people they don't even know.

This isnt a great way to look at things, I definately wouldn't love reading this if I did know them personally. Be a little human about it, it sucks for this to happen and he didnt deserve it, you know that, or atleast should.

JABEE

I'm a bit skeptical because the address was in Tennessee and Phil is Canadian. It would be easy to type up some official looking stuff. We don't know the difference since we don't work there and have access to those files.

Going by his Twitter account, I believe he lives in Nashville now.

Goddard

Gaming journalists have to be the only hobby journalists that openly hate their audience.

Most hobbies don't have journalists. Only entertainment medium? Eh I don't know there are plenty of musicians and film producers that probably despise their audience, although I'm not sure anyone in any other industry expresses their contempt as openly as games jurnalizts do.

GulAtiCa

I think he means Fish didn't really deserved to be sympathized at.

Yes, I got that. But Fish wasn't some criminal. He's just a very outspoken individual with inability to think before tweeting. The worst he has ever done was to be smug and a jerk to people. If someone thinks that Fish doesn't deserve sympathy because he might be an asshole at times, then I think he/she is cold hearted and should really look themselves in the mirror.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I know for damn sure people will disagree with me. But why would /v/ come out and say this was them? they dont do that. Even on /v/ people are saying its dumb and an obvious attempt to get some ammo against them in the whole situation.

inb4hurdurconspiracytheorist

I think the general consensus is that it's either false flag or double false flag.

Tapejara

Saw someone mentioning "not to click that link" earlier. Should I be worried that I visited the Polytron website before reading that?

Also, regardless of what you think of Phil, this is horrible.

MormaPope

Banned
After this week, I really can't blame them.

Oh please.

How many people on Reddit, NeoGaf, IGN, and 4chan make up the current, and relevant, gaming population? When you say gamers, what you're also saying is consumers. Casting venom at people willy nilly will solve absolutely nothing.

Draxyle

Neo Member
While these criminals might only be few in number, we do need to do our part to quell this rising movement against those that would dare to bring up uncomfortable issues in gaming. Anyone who's looked into the replies of any twitter message by Zoe knows that they are not that small in number, and it's our responsibility to counterbalance against the puerile hatred.

And for anyone still using the term "SJW" unironically, cut it out. Like, right now. Seriously.

Goddard

Jesus christ people.

Get some of your priorities straight. Nothing he has done deserves this.

This. I feel like a lot of his actions have led him to deserve a few good punches square in the face, but no one deserves having this much information leaked about them.

Why not? It's a stupid reaction blaming all gamers when it's only a few that pull this kind of crap

Yeah, gaming has a lot of great things to it, and helped a lot of people to go through some harsh moments in their lives, including me. I hope no one in the industry gets burned out by what is happening right now or thinks that this is the whole community.

For the thread, truly disgusting, my week have been really shitty because of some things and this whole situation was just the cherry on top that I didn't want. Hope that phil lands on his feet and solves this problem quickly =(

akira28

Most hobbies don't have journalists.

The ones that do usually have some kind of overlap, pro-ams who have taken to writing, or some other link. What they don't have is interaction with and incentives to get close to media publishers with options to join the family years down the line.

Oh please.

How many people on Reddit, NeoGaf, IGN, and 4chan make up the current, and relevant, gaming population? When you say gamers, what you're also saying is consumers. Casting venom at people willy nilly will solve absolutely nothing.

Especially when those consumers are your lifeblood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom