• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Pop-Fiction"- a new Gametrailers show (Mythbusters for gaming!)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
popfiction.gif

So this is a really interesting new show that tries out videogame myths and either busts or validates them. Pretty cool stuff!

gtpf36.jpg

Does Portal's elusive dessert hold the key to a secret ending?
Watch Episode 036

gtpf35.jpg

Mario goes where no plumber has gone before.
Watch Episode 035

gtpf34.jpg

How can something so small be the source of so much grief?
Watch Episode 034

gtpf33.jpg

The story behind one of the most controversial myths of all time.
Watch Episode 033

gtpf32.jpg

Discover the secret behind a legendary myth, nearly 25 years in the making.
Watch Episode 032

gtpf31.jpg

Play as General Leo without hacks or cheats? GT puts the schoolyard rumor to the test.
Watch Episode 031

gtpf30.jpg

007 takes on his most ambitious mission yet -- trying to infiltrate the infamous Citadel.
Watch Episode 030

gtpf29.jpg

A mysterious message awaits Kratos atop Mount Olympus.
Watch Episode 029

gtpf28.jpg

We’re pushed to the brink in our quest to uncover the last secret in Mega Man 9!
Watch Episode 028

ep27.jpg

We feel the need for speed in our quest to unlock Nitros Oxide.
Watch Episode 027

gtpop26.jpg

Ed Boon reveals the truth behind Mortal Kombat's mysterious red ninja in this special episode debuted at the GT Film Festival Panel at PAX Prime 2012!
Watch Episode 026

gtpop25.jpg

The legend of MissingNo is finally put under the spotlight in this episode of Pop-Fiction!
Watch Episode 025

730382-gt_popfiction_ep24_ocarinaoftime_swordlesslink_em_5-25_6ampstgvbn.jpg

Prepare to ponder the unthinkable: can Link really lose the Master Sword?
Watch Episode 024

729213-gt_popfiction_ep23_yoshisstory_savingpurpleyoshi_em_4-20_6am_thumb.jpg

Do more playable Yoshi's exist past the already playable 8 in Yoshi's Story?
Watch Episode 023

728331-gt_popfiction_ep22_cheatingacheetah_em_3_23_2012_9am_thumb.jpg

Pop Fiction teams up with The Angry Video Game Nerd to take on one of the worst games of all time.
Watch Episode 022

727049-gt_popfiction_ep21_totakassong.jpg

We hit the courts to see if Totaka's song has finally been uncovered in a new game.
Watch Episode 021

726497-popfiction_ep20_gta3_ghosttown_em_2_3_9am2.jpg

Is the myth of GTA III's infamous ghost town true? You won't believe your eyes when you see what we found in Liberty City.
Watch Episode 020

725397-gt_popfiction_ep19_ff6_kaiserdrachen_em_12_30_2011_9am_thumb.jpg

We reveal another steamy secret within the realm of Final Fantasy.
Watch Episode 019

724991-gt_popfiction_ep18_animalcrossing_em12_16_9am.jpg

Acquiring old school NES games via Animal Crossing for Gameboy Advance and Ryan Holtz's special techniques to access old school NES games are all discussed in this episode of Pop-Fiction.
Watch Episode 018

724032-yellowhalothumb.jpg

We double the dose of Pop-Fiction as we search for the Gold Warthog and Scarab gun in Halo 2.
Watch Episode 017

721887-gt_popfiction_ep16_metroid_em_10-7_38hdsa.jpg

We venture back to the origins of Metroid to discover the truth of the rumored hidden areas!
Watch Episode 016

720439-gt_popfiction_ep15_shoryuken_em_fn00d_1280x720_3500_h32.jpg

Is Sheng Long just a bunch of shenanigans, or does the Master of Ryu and Ken truly exist? Find out in this episode of Pop-Fiction, only on GameTrailers!
Watch Episode 015

718387-t_popfiction_ep014_invisibleman_gt_hd.jpg

Was the Ultimate Alliance stronger than we were led to believe in the early days? Find out how Colossus and Moon Knight fared in the battle for the spotlight in the PS2, Xbox and PSP versions!
Watch Episode 014

717005-t_pop-f_ep013_trifot_uccddt_hd_thumb.jpg

Is it possible to obtain the Tri-Force in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time? Explore the myth in this episode of Pop-Fiction!
Watch Episode 013

714020-t_pop-fiction_ep012_luigiinm64_gt_hd2.jpg

Is Luigi a playable character in Super Mario 64? Get to the bottom of the cryptic "L is real 2041" message in this episode of Pop-Fiction!
Watch Episode 012

713377-t_pop-fiction_ep011_gtabigfoot_gt_hd.jpg

Does this legendary blurry monster make an appearance in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas?
Watch Episode 011

712395-t_pop-f_ep10_sonic2_gt_hd_thumb.jpg

Did Sonic leave a hidden gem on the cutting room floor? Find out in this episode of Pop-Fiction!
Watch Episode 010

710815-t_popfiction_ep09_firetemplechnts_gt_hd.jpg

Did the Fire Temple's original music cause an emergency reissue of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time?
Watch Episode 009

709014-t_popfiction_ep08_stopnswop_gt.jpg

The elusive hidden items of Banjo-Kazooie are finally explained! The mythological hidden eggs and ice key take form in Stop 'N' Swop! But were they in the N64 versions all along?
Watch Episode 008

706469-t_popfiction_07_gt_iseemew.jpg

Can you really encounter Mew in Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow? Forget the hacks and cheats, Pop-Fiction gets down to the facts!
Watch Episode 007

702736-t_popfiction_ep06_gt_gdni_hd.jpg

Does GoldenEye's Dam level hold more secrets than we ever suspected?
Watch Episode 006

702590-t_pop-f_ep5_gt_bdukj_thumb.jpg

It's Final Fantasy VII. Is it truly possible to help the flower girl walk the streets again?
Watch Episode 005

701748-t_popf_004_gt.jpg

The illusive Reptile has made many appearances in Mortal Kombat games, but was he really there from the start?
Watch Episode 004

701341-t_popfiction_ep003_gt.jpg

Is it truly possible to play as Master Hand in Smash Bros, Melee? We break out the quick fingers and get to the bottom of it!
Watch Episode 003

100619-t_popfiction_002_gt.jpg

You've hugged this pole a thousand times before, but is it really possible to jump clean over it?
Watch Episode 002

65246-t_popfiction_001_gt.jpg

The first episode of this new GT Original finally sets the record straight on the enigmatic Chris Houlihan room in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past!
Watch Episode 001
Extended Gameplay Footage

Raist

Banned
Next up: reviving Aeris. Well, probably.

Can't watch this from work, but the idea sounds quite interesting.

Oni Jazar

Shiggy said:
They already do. It's the iPhone that does not support Flash.

Let me rephrase the question. When are they going to accept the fact that iPhone/iPad won't support flash and make a site/app that can let them watch vids?

YYZ

I'm not sure if I ever found that room, but I've beaten LttP multiple times.

Where does the exit of the room take you?

bluemax

Banned
Maybe they can cover the stupid FF6 N64 demo that's been debunked a million times already, only by virtue of being on this site enough people will finally learn the truth and stop propagating that shit.

If they decide to do the Mew under the truck one and end up not finding it then they will be stupid because my dad works for nintendo and he says its true you just need 13 rare candies and a level 43 hitmonlee :lol

aaaaaa

I have personally found the room using the "popular" method. It's an error room that pops up when the room you're supposed to reach hasn't loaded in time.

Steel Cog

Neo Member
Heheh I knew it. I got into the room using the first method and being extremely lucky.

I heard it's basically a catch-all room for any link (lol) errors between rooms.

I told my friends about it and tried to show it to them, but never got to replicate it. :|

Magnus

bluemax said:
Maybe they can cover the stupid FF6 N64 demo that's been debunked a million times already, only by virtue of being on this site enough people will finally learn the truth and stop propagating that shit.
Forgive me, I guess I don't know the whole story behind it, but wasn't it a brief battle system demonstration using 3D representations of Terra, Locke and Shadow from FF6?

Steel Cog

Neo Member
Magnus said:
Forgive me, I guess I don't know the whole story behind it, but wasn't it a brief battle system demonstration using 3D representations of Terra, Locke and Shadow from FF6?
I also remember it using a mouse and the game not really being tired to any console, it was run on a PC.

I dunno the current status but there's the belief it would've been a FF7 for the N64 or something. I doubt people still believe that nowadays.

Magnus

Seemed like a tech demo on an early n64 prototype (or so I thought) of what Square could do with more advanced hardware. Like an indication of what 7 might've looked like.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Onion_Relish said:
If they decide to do the Mew under the truck one and end up not finding it then they will be stupid because my dad works for nintendo and he says its true you just need 13 rare candies and a level 43 hitmonlee :lol

i tried finding mew for so long playing blue version :lol

LogicStep

Never even heard of that room. Pretty awesome show that they have here. Here's hoping that they keep them coming at a steady pace and keep em awesome.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Tidy'd up the OP a bit. Hopefully one of the Gametrailers staff/GAF member will step in and tell us how frequent they'll be. :D

LiK

they should do several games per episode. (yes, they'll drag it out this way, i know) a lil short but really fun to watch.

Dunk#7

I would like to see them tackle this myth/fact:

You can play against/play as reptile in the original Mortal Kombat on Genesis.

I saw it posted on several sites and tried to accomplish the crazy requirements, but failed. I was never able to accomplish this.

rezuth

Oni Jazar said:
Let me rephrase the question. When are they going to accept the fact that iPhone/iPad won't support flash and make a site/app that can let them watch vids?
What are you talking about? I can see videos on on my iPhone using gametrailers.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Dunk#7 said:
I would like to see them tackle this myth/fact:

You can play against/play as reptile in the original Mortal Kombat on Genesis.

I saw it posted on several sites and tried to accomplish the crazy requirements, but failed. I was never able to accomplish this.

pretty sure it's true, but the impossible part is waiting for the crap to fly across the moon to know there's an opportunity... I remember there was some trick or code to get stuff to fly across whenever you wanted.

Top Bottom