• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Pop-Fiction"- a new Gametrailers show (Mythbusters for gaming!)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Pretty great so far, if a little short.

There are a couple sets of mythbusters-type videos out there for Halo 3 and Modern Warfare 2 on Youtube, where they basically test to see if certain things work when you're playing the games. I find them interesting, for some reason, even though I don't own either game.

I wish somebody would so similar videos with TF2.

Josh7289

I had no idea that jumping over the flag thing was even a myth(?), but it blew my mind when he actually did it.

I enjoyed all those videos. I'm definitely looking forward to more.

CoilShot said:
I actually did this a long time ago but I thought everyone knew this was possible.

Yeah, there's a little too much "MIND BLOWN" in this thread, especially in the era of TAS (which don't change the actual game physics). There's lots of opportunities, not just that lift, but I don't know if they were going to for clarity or if they didn't research it that well.

Plus anyone with a Game Genie back then did it anyway. Moooooon jump!

I liked the shows so far, but I bet they´ll use the videogame secrect threat from neogaf to search for ideas :lol.

But so far nice little show! :) hopefully its weekly

Neomoto

Didn't saw the thread the first time, so I saw both episodes at once. Never knew both were possible, damn. Very cool show, will watch more (I never watch game related shows).

johnnylineup

Neo Member
Luigi as a playable character in mario 64 would be a good one. Especially just knowing someone would have to complete the ridiculous challenge that the "myth" said you had to accomplish to get there.

johnnylineup said:
Luigi as a playable character in mario 64 would be a good one. Especially just knowing someone would have to complete the ridiculous challenge that the "myth" said you had to accomplish to get there.

How about at least one of the rediculous Pokemon ones?

One that pops into my mind is the Togepi in Mt. Moon trick; use the Itemfinder after every step for 100 times. :lol Not sure if there was anything more to it than that.

Or just one of the infamous Pokegod myths.

Can't deny that I believed most of these when I was young. :lol

Wow, can't believe that so many didn't know that you could jump over the flag pole. I thought it was a well known fact that you could :\

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just watched both videos(I thought they were longer), well done and enjoyable. I tried more times than I remember, trying to jump the flagpole. I hope they do these more often.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hero of Legend said:
How about at least one of the rediculous Pokemon ones?

One that pops into my mind is the Togepi in Mt. Moon trick; use the Itemfinder after every step for 100 times. :lol Not sure if there was anything more to it than that.

Or just one of the infamous Pokegod myths.

Can't deny that I believed most of these when I was young. :lol
If, in Street Fighter II (doesn't work on Super), you do a 360+all punch buttons with Guile when he has lower than 1/4 health, he pulls out a machine gun and kills the other fighter.

Also, Chun-Li can throw her bracelets, but I never managed that one. :lol

pgtl_10

I'm surprised people never knew that you could jump over the poll in Mario Brothers. I did that all the time. I hope they do one about kano transformation in Mortal Kombat 2. Did it ever exist?

Zeliard

Great premise, sort of strange that it took this long for a Mythbusters-type show to hit gaming.

Wonderful stuff so far.

Johann

TheThunder said:
Seems like Nintendo games have a lot myths around them, I wonder why :lol

It's a big reason why a lot of games during the 16-bit era, such as Street Fighter 2, garnered a lot of interest. Magazines and websites during that time helped create a lot of myths and secrets. There were a number of myths for Pokemon (several were true) that helped it become so popular.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Wait. What?
I found the Chris Houlihan room as a kid, and it always kind of made no sense to me, but that is definitely not where I found it. I can't remember exactly, but it was in the lower left portion of the world.

I would love to see something on the original version 1.0 of Half-Life which had supposedly a different ending, other areas, dinosaurs, a boat, and use of the nuke that is in the g-man's briefcase.

As I remember the myth going, it was only in the original boxed copy of the game and the first patch removed the additional content. All subsequent copies included the patched version.

Perhaps I'm imagining all of this.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
The problem with this video series is that it's only really interesting if it's true. I just can't imagine 3 minutes of "Here's the history you probably already know and yup, it's false" being worth it.

fisheyes

The Rizza said:
Has anyone on here tried that master hand glitch?? I can't believe that really works

Yeah, like I said in the other thread that popped up about this, I got it to work after about 10 tries. The hand couldn't move, but I could get him to do basically all of his attacks b and right on the d-pad did the finger gun, holding pretty much every face button and up on the d-pad made him to that attack-from-the-background-rocket-move, not sure how i pulled off the others). Game froze when the time limit was up though.

I'm happy
/ashamed
to say I spent a day trying to defeat him in the Arcade version, and eventually succeeded. I felt so accomplished. :lol

I appreciate the fact that they touched on how he's not in all the arcade revisions, but I wish they had expanded on that for some people. It's funny how much people later "discovered" in MK games, things that they thought were long-hidden secrets, when they weren't actually there to begin with.

RevenantKioku said:
Wait. What?
I found the Chris Houlihan room as a kid, and it always kind of made no sense to me, but that is definitely not where I found it. I can't remember exactly, but it was in the lower left portion of the world.

They showed one of the easier places to get it to trigger. To my understanding, it's where it sends you if it receives an invalid destination or no destination, it's probably room 0 in the code.

Top Bottom