• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Pop-Fiction"- a new Gametrailers show (Mythbusters for gaming!)

NoRéN

EmCeeGramr said:
IIRC, the "legit Mew" trick was only figured out in something like 2002 or 2003, when the GBA games were already out.

They figured it out not by chance, but by looking at the game's code and how it loaded things into memory. It manipulates the game into thinking that Mew is queued up in memory for a random encounter.
Ohh, well, when you put it that way it's not so cool.
Holy hell! That's even more awesome!!!

ithorien

LiK said:
i wish the episodes were more frequent, ah, such a long wait for each one.

And longer :/ But unfortunately it's not Mythbusters, there aren't -that- many game myths, and they can't really show the process, or it would bore us to death.

LiK

ithorien said:
And longer :/ But unfortunately it's not Mythbusters, there aren't -that- many game myths, and they can't really show the process, or it would bore us to death.

i don't mind if they went with some common ones that the general public may not know about. maybe make them as a compilation if they're really easy to do. i would watch that.

I just saw the Mew one and I have to say WTF! I had no idea there was a legit way to get it.
My 12 year old self is kickin himself right now. :lol How the hell did anyone figure that one out? Jeez.

ithorien said:
They could do it like a 1UP Show-type thing, a longer (maybe 5-10 minutes) show with the gametrailer cast trying to confirm/debunk the myth while talking and then the verdict.

Mr. Sam

My jaw hit the floor at finding out you could legitimately catch Mew. Where's a time machine when you need one?

I loved every single one of them so far :D :D :D I only hope they don't make one where the myth was a bust, I love to see hidden secrets in game :X

Oh, and the Reptile one was my favorite!

Slavik81

Cday said:
There are two different ways to get mew in the game. The one they used and one involving the Gold Nugget bridge. Also the part where they talked about not having the cut ability and you have to find a pokemon with cut ruined this. It's clear they know nothing about pokemans in the first place.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. You get cut on the SS Anne, and it leaves when you get off it The rumour I heard in elementary school was that you had to do it before the SS Anne leaves.

Anth0ny

Anth0ny on May 25 2010 said:
I love this idea. I hope they do an episode about the Triforce in OOT and Stop n Swap in BK/BT.

Oh, and Mew in Pokemon R/B/Y of course!

Kobe! :D

However, I do have some nitpicks.

-The Mew video was a little off. The whole "fly away from a trainer" method can actually be used to catch any Pokemon in the game. the narrator implied that you can fight/fly away from any trainer, then show up to Lavender and just catch it. Wrong. You must fly away from the trainer shown from the video (well, not really, but it's the easiest one in the game), and you definitely must fight the trainer with the Slowpoke north of Cerulean. The Slowpoke's stats is the key to Mew...somehow. Flying back to Lavender, and returning to the route that you originally flew away from is how to make the Mew appear.

-The stop n Swap video was great, but it's clear that the mystery isn't truly solved. That's what Stop n Swap was? DLC and gamer pics? I don't think so. Rare will never tell us what the true secret was, but my personal theory is that it was Bottles Revenge, a mode that allowed the second controller to control nearby enemies. Such an interesting concept, it's a shame that it didn't come to fruition (without the help of a gameshark).

darthbob

Anth0ny said:
Kobe! :D

However, I do have some nitpicks.

-The Mew video was a little off. The whole "fly away from a trainer" method can actually be used to catch any Pokemon in the game. the narrator implied that you can fight/fly away from any trainer, then show up to Lavender and just catch it. Wrong. You must fly away from the trainer shown from the video (well, not really, but it's the easiest one in the game), and you definitely must fight the trainer with the Slowpoke north of Cerulean. The Slowpoke's stats is the key to Mew...somehow. Flying back to Lavender, and returning to the route that you originally flew away from is how to make the Mew appear.

The Slowpoke's Special stat is what triggers the Mew. Since the value for a Mew in the game is #21, and the Slowpoke's Special stat is the same, it loads a Mew, because the last data that it stored in to memory was from that encounter, and since it still needs to load data from the trainer you flew or teleported away from, it just loads that.

Arucardo

I love this show, easter eggs and such are one of my favorite things about games. I spent countless hours trying to get some easter eggs in custom counter-strike maps. Also, there's that Action Half-Life map that Rock Paper Shotgun wrote about, really enjoyed it.

EDIT: I forgot that it was actually a PC Gamer UK story that got re-published later on RPS.

Sohter.Nura said:
I loved every single one of them so far :D :D :D I only hope they don't make one where the myth was a bust, I love to see hidden secrets in game :X

They've had two that were busts, the Goldeneye island and reviving Aeris in FF7. You can reach the island in Goldeneye, but you can only do it with a Gameshark instead of through doing some specific actions that people claim.

Anth0ny said:
The stop n Swap video was great, but it's clear that the mystery isn't truly solved. That's what Stop n Swap was? DLC and gamer pics? I don't think so. Rare will never tell us what the true secret was, but my personal theory is that it was Bottles Revenge, a mode that allowed the second controller to control nearby enemies. Such an interesting concept, it's a shame that it didn't come to fruition (without the help of a gameshark).

The rewards part maybe because some of them are current-gen stuff as you mentioned, but new moves and in-game content obviously are plausible. The mystery part was more how you were supposed to do Stop N Swop and why it was never implemented, and how you were supposed to get the eggs and who/what were the meant for. The interview answered those first two questions, and the XBLA re-releases answered the last two.

Obviously GameShark/AR allowed you to get to the eggs/key well before this was all figured out, but I think everyone wanted to know how you legitimately got those eggs/key. The cheat codes were a backdoor to activating Stop N Swop in BK...you were supposed to swop BT out for BK and the data from BT would trigger the eggs/key becoming available. Then you swopped out BK for BT once you got those items, and you'd get rewared in BT.

If somebody wants to go for the ultimate step and has the engineering/coding understanding of N64 software and hardware, find a way to fake BT data onto BK (if it was programmed into the N64 versions) to activate the eggs/key. Then find a way to transfer that data to BT and see if anything happens, if it's even possible. Again, the programming may have never gotten that far in BT to include the full Stop n Swop functionality. We've actually reached out to the devs on the Reptile one, but haven't ever heard back, though it would be awesome if we could get new dev commentary on some of these, like Stop N Swop

_dementia said:
Is there a way to submit ideas to them?

I check this thread and other places for just that. The segment has a time limit that we try to keep it under, otherwise they'd be more in-depth and technical. Like the ALttP one; I wrote up a detailed explanation of how exactly the thing works to appease the few people still claiming the "run as fast as you can" method worked for them and thus the "running fast" part is what triggered it. But it would increase the length beyond the target range, and so we do our best to get in what is most relevant. The Mew one I actually forgot to get into the fact that Mew's appearance is based on the stats of the opposing trainer's Pokemon.

Anth0ny

TSA said:
We've actually reached out to the devs on the Reptile one, but haven't ever heard back, though it would be awesome if we could get new dev commentary on some of these, like Stop N Swop

That would be awesome. It's been, what, 13 years now that they've been teasing us? It would be nice to finally hear the whole entire truth :lol

Anyways, it probably would have went like this if the whole hot swap thing wasn't taken out of newer N64s:

1. In Banjo Tooie, a character in the game tells you the sandcastle codes to enter in BK. Of course, there are no more N64 cartridges roaming around.

2. You acquire the items and do the hot swap. The items are now in Tooie.

3. Ice Key still gets you the Mega Glowbo, and ultimately, Dragon Kazooie.
-Pink Egg=Breegull Bash
-Blue Egg=Homing Eggs
-Yellow Egg= Jinjo in multiplayer
-Cyan Egg= zomg new level
-Green Egg= Boss rush maybe?
-Red Egg= Bottles Revenge

That would have been pretty awesome. SNS, and Banjo Kazooie as a whole was a huge part of my childhood, and this is one of my personal greatest video game mysteries of all time.

Ydahs

Just watched the last two and both were great. While I already knew of the Mew one, it's still awesome seeing the reactions of people who don't.

Best gaming series going around.

Made me think of the 'getting to the top of the castle without 120 stars' thing in Super Mario 64.

For years I read about it in magazines not really understanding how/where exactly to do the crazy jumps...... then thanks to the glory of the Internet I saw a crap low res .rm vid (pre- YouTube days) and sorta saw what I was aiming for - after a bit more trying, mission accomplished! :D

MNC

Yeah the stop n swop thing is truly mistifyingly mysterious to me :lol It's so ominous, I really liked how deep those games could go.

nocode

Wow, this show brings back memories. Before the internet, there was ALWAYS these rumors you heard from kids at school about how to unlock this type of shit. I spent hours trying EVERYTHING on my games back then. Back then I only got a couple of games a year though, so it was easy to spend hours and hours on them:lol :lol Cool show!

Feep

Banned
Love this show. Thanks, GAF!

Didn't Nintendo Power run a contest to those who could reach the top of the castle without the cannon? I think the winner did a crazy triple jump wall-jump off a weirdly angled hillside, or something.

nocode

Feep said:
Love this show. Thanks, GAF!

Didn't Nintendo Power run a contest to those who could reach the top of the castle without the cannon? I think the winner did a crazy triple jump wall-jump off a weirdly angled hillside, or something.

It was around the right side of the castle. There's a little nook that you can wall jump up. I can't remember if it was actually possible for sure, but I know I tried for a long time to do it. I'm pretty sure I succeeded too, but I'm honestly not sure at this point.

Hey, they actually cited the right reason for Rare taking it out. (Nintendo does not like developers encouraging players to do strange, unintended things with their hardware. See Boom Blox and headtracking for a more recent example.)

I'm glad this show does their homework, it makes it more enjoyable to watch.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
It's totally amazing how people figure out how to do that crooked cartridge trick and the input commands to enter the debug mode.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Amazing episode. Never knew you could access the debug screen in OoT or the other stuff.
Yeah, pretty cool. "Oh! MY GOD!"

Murrah

Banned
That was one of the most interesting video game related things I've ever seen; the part about none of the localization team members being there anymore makes the whole thing oddly ominous, like some kind of nerdy urban legend only minus the microwaved poodles

Top Bottom