• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Pop-Fiction"- a new Gametrailers show (Mythbusters for gaming!)

Crisis

Banned
I love this series, but it's so slow to make new episodes that I forget the title of the show when I want to go back and look for previous episodes. I still think the title is horrible for what kind of show it actually is.

Verendus

Banned
This is a cool series. I enjoyed watching it.

Only disappointment:
Final Fantasy VII Episode said:
"To this day, reviving her after her emotional death at the hands of Sephiroth remains one of the most discussed video game rumours. Many fans passionately believe she was never meant to perish for good, and insist that if you a follow a specific series of instructions, the flower girl from the market can walk the streets of Midgar once more."
Seriously? Discussed by who? This is insane. Is there anything else I should know regarding these passionate fans? What other obvious things do they spend time discussing?

I was expecting something interesting from the episode, not something inane.

Crisis said:
I love this series, but it's so slow to make new episodes that I forget the title of the show when I want to go back and look for previous episodes. I still think the title is horrible for what kind of show it actually is.

There wasn't a link to it on the home page until very recently (on the left nav bar), so when an episode sunk down off the front page, you could only find them via the search tool. As for the time it takes for new ones...trying to really get them out each month now (3DS launch delayed this one by a week). We have to juggle these episodes with our basic work load, so it's not like we have somebody dedicated to making these and doing nothing else. Gotta do all the reading and research, actually verify everything (everybody lies ~ Gregory House), and then playing through the game(s). Though I could say I wasted 3 hours scrambling to find an alternate Game Genie code because I thought the two listed weren't working...only to find out Game Genie on Genesis has a POWER SWITCH on the side facing away from me the whole time. ARGGGGGGGGGG FML.

Kam said:

Only disappointment:

Seriously? Discussed by who? This is insane. Is there anything else I should know regarding these passionate fans? What other obvious things do they spend time discussing?

Curious as to what exactly did you expect. I think I might not understand you quite right, but I mean, every major site has delved into the Aeris myth in some editorial or feature, and you couldn't go near a video game message board in the late 90s to early 00s without coming across this topic.

Syril

Kam said:

Only disappointment:

It's been 14 years. It was a very popular topic back around the time that game actually came out. You know, 14 years ago.

I really like it when someone like this does their homework. You're all set to get your fanboy fury on, and then they cite the right sources and explain it as correctly as it's currently known. Well done TSA and others involved.

The only small issue I had is that it wasn't clear who Simon Wai was, or how he was involved. Given the following statement that Yuji Naka said the prototype was stolen, hopefully no one gets the impression Simon did that. (He was the one to find the dumped rom on a Chinese website, if memory serves, and wrote a page around it. He didn't have the physical cart.)

Verendus

Banned
TSA said:
Curious as to what exactly did you expect. I think I might not understand you quite right, but I mean, every major site has delved into the Aeris myth in some editorial or feature, and you couldn't go near a video game message board in the late 90s to early 00s without coming across this topic.
I'll explain so you understand me a bit better.

The other episodes have interesting rumours based on gameplay or other things. You had the Chris room in Zelda, Mario jumping over the pole (my cousin did this by the way when we were kids, we freaked out, awesome moment), Reptile and it goes on.

So when you got FF7, I was expecting something similar, like a hidden secret or something. Especially so because FF7 is my favourite game, and it's one of those games I played a lot when I was younger. It's kind of like that moment when you're a fan of something and you think you're about to learn something cool you didn't know, but then realise the fans are just crazy.

When the topic of Aeris being brought back to life came up, it kind of caught me off-guard. The question running through my mind was, "Is this seriously the only hot rumour FF7 fans were discussing?" The character is dead quite clearly in the game. Part of the subsequent story is other characters coming to terms with the loss. Why would people believe that she wasn't supposed to die, and instead can be brought back to be part of the story?

So the logical conclusion was that if you brought this up in your series which is about discussing hot rumours, then this is apparently the only thing worth bringing up about the game in terms of hidden secrets. That's what I mean when I say it's a disappointment. That there is nothing else worth knowing about the game. What was a hot topic about the game was something that should have been obvious to those people.

It's neat thing for your series and a cool little tidbit of fan history, sure. It's a disappointment for me as a fan of the game. Hopefully that gets my point of view across better. Don't take it as an insult or something. I understand the time and effort it probably took to do this.

Oh, and GAF is the first gaming forum I've actually read. And that happened last year. A lot of this stuff is news to me.
Syril said:
It's been 14 years. It was a very popular topic back around the time that game actually came out. You know, 14 years ago.
Doesn't make the topic any less insane to me.

Kam said:

Only disappointment:

My friends and I also discussed it back when the game came out, for months. Because her ghost would appear, and we always wondered if there was something more to the appearance, like a way to get her back.

Kulock said:
I really like it when someone like this does their homework. You're all set to get your fanboy fury on, and then they cite the right sources and explain it as correctly as it's currently known. Well done TSA and others involved.

The only small issue I had is that it wasn't clear who Simon Wai was, or how he was involved. Given the following statement that Yuji Naka said the prototype was stolen, hopefully no one gets the impression Simon did that. (He was the one to find the dumped rom on a Chinese website, if memory serves, and wrote a page around it. He didn't have the physical cart.)

I've mentioned before that we try to avoid drowning everyone in a "wall of text" explanation and trying to really get the main points across. One thing that we've been trying to do is show off some of the sources (RWP, ZSR, SR, etc) so people can head over to them to get more info (plus more visible credit for the work they've already done). The Simon Wai wiki entry is shown on the video, so you could pause, or just head over to Sonic Retro and read up. The point was we had to verify the prototype was legit, and the Yuji Naka quote validates that. I wish I had more time (and approval) to make these videos longer.

Kam - There are many other secrets in FF VII (and other games we've covered as well), yes. We're not stopping at one episode per game, so expect future episodes to revisit other mysteries in these games. If the Aeris thing wasn't what you wanted, maybe on the next pass we'll hit a topic that you're more interested in. And to be fair, what's obvious to you or me isn't obvious to everyone else. I thought the Mario Flagpole thing was a cop-out honestly, something everyone would know, but apparently I was wrong. So, I don't take anything for granted; if it was a mystery at one point, even if it's well documented and solved, I'll tackle it again. Think the exception will be Sonic 3 and the Michael Jackson music...simply because I don't think we can use that licensed music and there's already an amazing video on YouTube that covers it all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just finished watching all of the episodes so far, and all I can say is wow! I like GT's features a lot. They're usually well-produced and well-researched with appropriate music thrown in. The Fire Temple BGM ep is my favourite. I love videogame trivia like this.

Hats off to TSA and the others involved in making these. They're really interesting. It's too bad you can't make them longer. The research and attention to detail involved must make these episodes take long to produce.

Surprised some people didn't know about the Level Select and Debug codes, though. I read about those in Tips & Tricks and EGM, and then people ended up passing the codes around at my school. But I didn't know that there were so many levels cut from Sonic 2, though. That game was already huge!

TSA said:
I've mentioned before that we try to avoid drowning everyone in a "wall of text" explanation and trying to really get the main points across. One thing that we've been trying to do is show off some of the sources (RWP, ZSR, SR, etc) so people can head over to them to get more info (plus more visible credit for the work they've already done). The Simon Wai wiki entry is shown on the video, so you could pause, or just head over to Sonic Retro and read up. The point was we had to verify the prototype was legit, and the Yuji Naka quote validates that. I wish I had more time (and approval) to make these videos longer.

Oh, of course, you can't stop for every footnote. More than anything I was kind of mentioning it for the benefit of the topic, but I guess I was just saying "I hope no one draws a false conclusion between the two, and thinks ill of him."

I am really enjoying this series. Good job TSA and Gametrailers.

Oh the memories! Getting home after college and turning on the Mega-Drive at 1 a.m. on a Tuesday to test the debug mode code my friend gave me earlier.

And let's not forget the total "awesomeness" that was playing Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles connected.

Slermy

Great job TSA, I always really look forward to watching these. It's a pity they won't let you make some longer ones, I'd love to watch some really indepth ones.

The problem with the Aeris thing is they say "to this day," when it was resolved years ago and hasn't been relevant since then. Just feels like an annoying empty video game site sentence.

_dementia said:
Hidden Palace would have been the prettiest level. That luminescent bridge, OMG.
hidden palace has some of the better effects of sonic 2 in it, shame it was cut.

The glowing bridge was used in sonic 3 ice cap in the end but instead of lighting up the ice shines as you run over it, so it was not wasted :)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
For some reason when I try and watch the latest video my browser is slowly filled up with multiple StumpleUpon toolbar thingies and nothing else. Warrgh!

Just watched the Ocarina of Time one, though, and was actually surprised about how much info was gleamed from it. This has been a good series so far, I like it.

BigAT

Smision said:
The problem with the Aeris thing is they say "to this day," when it was resolved years ago and hasn't been relevant since then. Just feels like an annoying empty video game site sentence.
Nitpick much?

I really love this series, keep up the good work TSA.

krae_man

Majine said:
This is like the best series on GT. I could watch full hour episodes of these.

I find the myth selection hit and miss. "Can you fight Reptile in MK1?" isn't a myth. Chris Hollihan's Room isn't a myth. Jumping the Flag Pole isn't a myth(It would have been better if they had done it in world 1-1 like Motherfucker Mikes' video).

.JayZii

Banned
GT has some really good video content. Namely this series and their Retrospectives. If you haven't watched them both I highly recommend them.

krae_man said:
I find the myth selection hit and miss. "Can you fight Reptile in MK1?" isn't a myth. Chris Hollihan's Room isn't a myth. Jumping the Flag Pole isn't a myth(It would have been better if they had done it in world 1-1 like Motherfucker Mikes' video).

It's just based on famous gaming rumors. Reptile was made a lot easier to find in the console versions, but if you heard about how to find him in the arcade version it really did sound ridiculous.

Mareg

Great idea.

I want to know if General Leo from FF VI is playable in any version of the game.
Also, what about that room in Suikoden that you can't access. I want to know what is in that room :)

Mareg said:
Great idea.

I want to know if General Leo from FF VI is playable in any version of the game.
Also, what about that room in Suikoden that you can't access. I want to know what is in that room :)

That Suikoden one will probably appear somewhere down the road - stumbled across it years ago and added it to the master list of myths/secrets to investigate.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Great series. Kudos to everyone involved. It's too bad I never got to experience all of the games listed, but the ones I recognized brought a smile (and in No. 2's case a heartily "holy shit") to my face.

Another nice one. I would not have the patience to collect every single coin in Mario 64, let alone do it at least twice.

It's too bad there's several rumors with promising starts, but no end result to keep it interesting. Like how Miyamoto talked about putting penguins in many of his earlier N64 games, including Starfox 64 (which there are none, to my recollection).

krae_man

The myth selection is getting better. Some of them are bad(eg Reptile in MK1).

This isn't the way I was told as a kid to make luigi playable in Mario 64. It involved a secret platform and door inside the very top of the volcano or something I forget the specifics.

Top Bottom