• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope declares evolution & Big Bang are right & God isn't a magician with a magic wand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not surprised about this news to be honest. When I was kid, the local priest held the same opinion about evolution. This was in the early 80s.

This must be why people are posting about 'macro' and 'micro' evolution on my Facebook feed. These stupid word games that creationists come up with are infuriating. How can someone willingly mislead so many people?

Orayn

This must be why people are posting about 'macro' and 'micro' evolution on my Facebook feed. These stupid word games that creationists come up with are infuriating. How can someone willingly mislead so many people?

Because they actually believe it, sadly. They've just gone great lengths to either not understand the science or suppress their cognitive dissonance.

rambis

Banned
Bit of a cop out tbh.
How can science proof something it can't measure or detect?
I dont even know what cop out is supposed to mean here.

But as for the bolded, if we knew that, im pretty sure there wouldnt be debate about how the world came to be.

How would that work? What previous forms were Adam or Eve? Apes? Keep in mind God created them in his own image. The bible also traces lineage from Adam.
Where in the bible does it say that man came exclusively from Adam?

And "god created man in his image" does not automatically mean that god waived a magic wand and poof came man.

I dont even know what cop out is supposed to mean here.

But as for the bolded, if we knew that, im pretty sure there wouldnt be debate about how the world came to be.

And "god created man in his image" does not automatically mean that god waived a magic wand and poof came man.

Didn't he sculpted adam from mud/dust/clay and breathed life into him?
Then took a rib from adam to make eve.

waypoetic

Banned
Francis has been making all sorts of sense. He is one cool-ass Pope.

How can he make sense when he's a theist that acknowledges evolution and the creation of the universe aka the Big Bang? Like i've jokingly said before; it's like if Richard Dawkins would suddenly tell us that we're descended from God or that Adam and Eve are our ancestors.

Either he's completely lost it or he's slowly turning atheist. If the latter: good on him!

Holy shit, pope teaching the exact same thing that Pope Pius XII taught in 1950. Better stop the fucking presses and put all your money in Vatican stock.

waypoetic

Banned

Exclusively? No, not exclusively from Adam. If you're asking "where does man come from" then the answer would be God. Adam was created by God and Eve was created by God from a rib of Adam's. Where does it say so? In the book of Genesis.

Regarding how, this is how: "then the lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being".

I know this and i'm an atheist for crying out loud.

Valkyria

Banned
How can he make sense when he's a theist that acknowledges evolution and the creation of the universe aka the Big Bang? Like i've jokingly said before; it's like if Richard Dawkins would suddenly tell us that we're descended from God or that Adam and Eve are our ancestors.

Either he's completely lost it or he's slowly turning atheist. If the latter: good on him!

You sound like an expert in catholicism, please tell us more.

operon

Why does science have to prove or disprove God?

Part of science job is to provide evidence for claims it makes. And there is zero scientific evidence that supports your claim. Zero

You are the one who choose to ignore the evidence , because it doesn't fit your preconceived notion of God.

Remove the preconceived notion of God and there is evidence everywhere.

Your comprehensions skills either suck or your letting an agenda get in the way of them. My post was saying that no religions have proof of their faith except for their holy books so none can really claim to have the truth.

NeonZ

The idea is that God pretty much just kickstarted everything and then our world and life came about due to the natural laws of the universe that can be studied and learned about through science, without more "magical" interventions on top of that. He still believes that there was a higher purpose behind things ending up this way, even if there wasn't a magical hand tweaking things continuously, while a purely scientific view would just look at it all as a coincidence.

Anyway, the point of him making this statement is that the previous pope had suggested that the natural laws weren't enough to explain evolution.

pa22word

This thread is a complete, utter wasteland. "I SURE HOPE THAT POPE DOESNT GET SHOT BY THOSE DAMNED STUPID, CRAZY CATHOLICS FOR BEING SO LIBERAL!!!!!" What the fucking fuck?

My sister was taught the principles of evolution and the big bang in a Catholic school 3 years ago. I was taught the principles of evolution and big bang in Catholic school 20 years ago. My mother was taught the principles of evolution and the big bang in a Catholic school 40 years ago.

The only thing this thread has proven is how pathetically ignorant most of gaf is on anything related to Catholicism, or any kind of religion in general. Some of the posts in this thread are offensive to the point I might as well be posting on r/atheism.

Pollux

Powerful rebuttal

So Jesus is not in heaven sitting to the right of the father?

Didn't he pray to the father when on the cross?

It's two dudes. Both powerful. Two gods. At least.

Satan is kinda like a god too. Just the bad one.

On topic. The Catholic Church has been okay with this for a while.

Just because there are three entities doesn't mean it's polytheistic. There are three leaves on a three-leaf clover, but one clover. There are three entities but one God.

Catholicism is not polytheistic. Period. Full stop. Anyone who thinks otherwise does not understand Catholicism.

Air

Banned

As I wrote in this thread, his beliefs are probably panenethesitic on the nature of God, which isn't at odds with evolution or the Big Bang. I think you should take this moment, if you are genuinely curious, to read up on this stuff because you're probably going to see a lot more of it in the future. People's beliefs about God are far more nuanced than you think it is.

Most religious people don't believe in creationism so this is not very surprising. Creationists are really only something you read about on GAF.

This is not new. Amongst Catholics Muslims or christians.

Maybe if your only view of religion comes from exposure to GAF threads in the subject...

Still, glad to hear the reaffirmation

No.

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/12/30/...n/#views-about-evolution-by-demographic-group

With that said, the Pope doesn't speak for protestants, so his words aren't going to have a major effect.

All of the charts there show a majority of people believing that humans and animals evolved over time. Unless I'm missing something it seems both of those posters you quoted were correct.

I am referring to quotes like, "Creationists are really something you only read on GAF," or "if your only view of religion comes from exposure to GAF."

I probably should have clarified that part. That's plainly untrue. Evangelical protestants are a huge demographic in the United States, and the charts above show that they do not believe in evolution.

Dude Abides

Banned
Catholics believe in a middle ground called limbo, they pray to saints, they do things completely different. It's much easier to be a Christian person than a Catholic.

Many churches want different things from people before they're saved. Catholics just want you to repent and the prayers from your loved ones can get you in.

I have not heard a single Catholic say Jesus is my savior in my entire life. It was always about Mary and the Saints. They think the saints are these demi-gods IMO. I can never understand when someone has to go to their rosary to pray. If God was real you wouldn't need to symbolize everything hand and foot. It's much easier to be a Christian. I think the rich love being Catholic because it's a decorated religion.

This is a load of horseshit.

Chaplain

Trinitarian Christians will argue they are the SAME God. Three persons (Father, Son, Spirit) that are distinct manifestations of only one, single God.

Just to add:

1 being in three persons (one room that is made up of height, width, and depth).
Similar to me being a human-being that is a Son, Husband, Cousin, etc.

Air

Banned
I am referring to quotes like, "Creationists are really something you only read on GAF," or "if your only view of religion comes from exposure to GAF."

I probably should have clarified that part. That's plainly untrue. Evangelical protestants are a huge demographic in the United States, and the charts above show that they do not believe in evolution.

I see the bit about evangelicals. I don't know enough to know if they'd be considered a huge demographic though. But I see your point now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom