• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope invites scientists into the Vatican to talk about the Big Bang

Dehnus

Pope: "Guys, Trump will visit me soon, I want to feel smart for a moment by talking to other educated people. So please humor me and let's talk about creation. Holy Mother knows that by the time Trump comes we'll only be talking about how huge his victory was, and how the Vatican needs to pay her share.".

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
does the vatican still believe the whole virgin birth of jesus & miracles & resurrection stuff?

Kind of.
They literally have two panels to determine what's a miracle and what's not - and one of the requirements is "Scientifically inexplicable" (Which is applicable for shit that's just ridicolously unlikely though, like cancer self-remission).
Catholicism stands that god can break physics, he just practically never does. A common stance is that god's miracles are physically possible, and god just bends the likeliness of some happening.

Virgin birth.. i've heard some say that it's meant literally, but i'm not completely sure.

Catholicism skirts the line around literally and figuratively a lot. Cathechism holds that transubstantiation (Bread and wine literally becoming the blood of christ) actually happens, but most catholics actually hold that it's just figurative, and no priest is actually going to give anyone a hard time about it.

Artdayne

Kind of.
They literally have two panels to determine what's a miracle and what's not - and one of the requirements is "Scientifically inexplicable" (Which is applicable for shit that's just ridicolously unlikely though, like cancer self-remission).
Catholicism stands that god can break physics, he just practically never does. A common stance is that god's miracles are physically possible, and god just bends the likeliness of some happening.

Virgin birth.. i've heard some say that it's meant literally, but i'm not completely sure.

Catholicism skirts the line around literally and figuratively a lot. Cathechism holds that transubstantiation (Bread and wine literally becoming the blood of christ) actually happens, but most catholics actually hold that it's just figurative, and no priest is actually going to give anyone a hard time about it.

There are a lot of priests and I have no doubt, as I've seen for myself, believe in a very wide variety of things. But Catholic teaching is actually very clear on this, it's an extremely important sacrament.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c1a3.htm

1410 It is Christ himself, the eternal high priest of the New Covenant who, acting through the ministry of the priests, offers the Eucharistic sacrifice. And it is the same Christ, really present under the species of bread and wine, who is the offering of the Eucharistic sacrifice.

Catholicism states that it is literally the body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ. Certainly, there are plenty of Catholics who either don't realize that is what is taught or they don't believe it.

The virgin birth is a dogma of the Catholic faith, as in, it's not under dispute among the hierarchy at all. Again though, random priests and hell even a bishop can believe any number of sorts of things but the Immaculate Conception is an actual holy day and the church holds it to be true.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
There are a lot of priests and I have no doubt, as I've seen for myself, believe in a very wide variety of things. But Catholic teaching is actually very clear on this, it's an extremely important sacrament.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c1a3.htm

1410 It is Christ himself, the eternal high priest of the New Covenant who, acting through the ministry of the priests, offers the Eucharistic sacrifice. And it is the same Christ, really present under the species of bread and wine, who is the offering of the Eucharistic sacrifice.

Catholicism states that it is literally the body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ. Certainly, there are plenty of Catholics who either don't realize that is what is taught or they don't believe it.

The virgin birth is a dogma of the Catholic faith, as in, it's not under dispute among the hierarchy at all. Again though, random priests and hell even a bishop can believe any number of sorts of things but the Immaculate Conception is an actual holy day and the church holds it to be true.
Yeah, as i said, cathechism teaches it for true - it's just that most believers actually don't, and clergy isn't keen on reprimanding them for it.

Honestly, paradoxically, i find catholics to be the least dogmatic religious people around.
All the priests around my area are about community and don't really take the dogmas that seriously.
I understand this is just anecdotal advice, but i live in walking distance of st peter's.

Yeah, as i said, cathechism teaches it for true - it's just that most believers actually don't, and clergy isn't keen on reprimanding them for it.

Honestly, paradoxically, i find catholics to be the least dogmatic religious people around.
All the priests around my area are about community and don't really take the dogmas that seriously.
I understand this is just anecdotal advice, but i live in walking distance of st peter's.

This has been my experience as well. Again, it's anecdotal, but I've been pretty surrounded by Catholicism my whole life. Like, my grandfather is a knight of the Vatican, levels of surrounded

Jezan

so what's the deal?

Will the Pope try to convince the scientists the Big Bang was executed by a thinking or conscious being called "God"?

nobody can answer that, all we can do is say "maybe? who knows, let's have beer and Pizza"
That's the best answer, where does it all come from? God.

Scientists can't explain everything yet (how from nothingness matter appeared) and believing in God doesn't mean you can't be pro-science.

IMO, whatever created the universe be it an entity or a force or a quantum fluctuation,that's God for me.

It's always interesting how USGaf acts like everyone from whatever church is anti science.

I grew up in a Roman Catholic household. Latin mass and all that shit.

Quote from my father, "the chances Evolution is true is that same chance you have of jumping off the World Trade Center and landing on your feet unhurt."

I was brain washed as a child :/

seanoff

It's quite clear that there's a lot more in the 10 commandment? "Though shalt not take the lord's name in vein" is also in there. So according to the Catholic Catechism, saying the Lord's name in vein could be a mortal sin if you have knowledge of the sinful act and if you commit it deliberately.

Or you could go to a catholic school and be told by a preist that exclaiming "Jesus Christ" is not taking the lords name in vain, but it actually a quick prayer by asking the lord for help. ;-).

zsynqx

66DSWN1.gif

hahaha

Nah, you're completely incorrect. Check out the catholic encyclopedia entry (bold is mine) : http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05573a.htm

Finally, Transubstantiation differs from every other substantial conversion in this, that only the substance is converted into another — the accidents remaining the same — just as would be the case if wood were miraculously converted into iron, the substance of the iron remaining hidden under the external appearance of the wood.

[...]

Such, at least, was the opinion of contemporary theologians regarding the matter; and the Roman Catechism, referring to the above-mentioned canon of the Council of Trent, tersely, explains: "The accidents of bread and wine inhere in no substance, but continue existing by themselves."​

The accidents vs substance language is how the doctrine is and has been typically explained for over 800 years; Trent doesn't say it precisely that way because they were trying to avoid writing Aristotle/Thomas Aquinas' philosophy into dogma.

The doctrine is completely non-falsifiable by science as the bread remains tasting exactly like bread, behaving physically exactly like bread, etc. There is no scientific or experimental test, according to the doctrine, which could determine it to be anything other than bread. So this really has nothing to do with science at all.
I'm more ignorant than I knew :) I dropped out of Catholic school after sixth grade (pre-confirmation) and, like any ignorant folk, I guess I thought I knew more than what I know.

I wouldn't change a thing though. I never believed in God and being forced to go to mass six days a week was pure torture for me. Don't get me started about weekly confession...

I'm glad your faith helps you through your existence.

Mario007

I grew up in a Roman Catholic household. Latin mass and all that shit.

Quote from my father, "the chances Evolution is true is that same chance you have of jumping off the World Trade Center and landing on your feet unhurt."

I was brain washed as a child :/

Catholic latin masses stopped being a thing since Vatican 2. I think you might have had very hardcore parents.

Artdayne

Or you could go to a catholic school and be told by a preist that exclaiming "Jesus Christ" is not taking the lords name in vain, but it actually a quick prayer by asking the lord for help. ;-).

I went to a Catholic university and studied theology.

Top Bottom