• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vatican clarifies Pope's statement: Atheists are still going to hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Really? Wow, why south korea now? China I get, since it wasn't really open to westerners until relatively recently.
It's funny that you should be surprised because South Korea is one of the most booming centres of rising Christianity on the planet.

A lot of them enthusiastically picked it up themselves even before the Japanese occupied them 100 years ago.

And since America propped up the South, it's only increased. Something like 1/3rd are Christian (compare that to 1/3rd of Buddhists)

I think a lot if them associate it with Western prosperity.

A lot of the old Christian churches here in Vancouver now have signs added written in Korean hanguel.

Razorwind

One of the many articles I wish more people would try dig for the actual source before quoting directly...

http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/ex...f-salvation-in-francis-daily-homily-of-may-22

http://saltandlighttv.org/blog/fr-t...n-in-pope-francis-daily-homily-of-may-22-2013

This is his "short" explanation that he posted personally. Not short. I know.

To quote him directly, with some sort of context:
171. What is the meaning of the affirmation “Outside the Church there is no salvation”?

This means that all salvation comes from Christ, the Head, through the Church which is his body. Hence they cannot be saved who, knowing the Church as founded by Christ and necessary for salvation, would refuse to enter her or remain in her. At the same time, thanks to Christ and to his Church, those who through no fault of their own do not know the Gospel of Christ and his Church but sincerely seek God and, moved by grace, try to do his will as it is known through the dictates of conscience can attain eternal salvation.

So....My interpretion of what he said is:

If by some wierd fate that you don't "know about Jesus" your whole life (e.g. born in Tibet maybe), but you did your own conscience of "good". You are ok.

It is only those who came to "know Jesus" and yet rejects his teachings that will be in trouble.

The issue with this is how people might define "know Jesus" and when is it considered "rejecting his teachings"

So, in my own understanding, Atheists are pretty covered.

jaxword

Re: South Korea

Also, when North Korea finally opens up, Christianity is going to spread even further as the populace gets converted by all the missionaries waiting for their chance.

Christianity is not going to go down in numbers for many, many generations. Well, barring something major like aliens or whatever.

God created aliens, problem solved...then a bunch of people hold up picket signs to said aliens with these beliefs and the aliens then decide we can't be saved and kill us all. :(

I wouldn't call unlimited field trips around the infinite universe for all eternity "nothing". I would call eternal black void nothing though. :p

lol @ field trips around the universe.

Demon Ice

Banned
Edit In any case why would you care, you do not believe in it. I don't believe in Fairys so being excluded from their club wouldn't bother me.

Meh, I don't care personally because you're right, I don't believe in that nonsense.

I do find it downright evil to take advantage of people who DO believe in that nonsense by scaring them into believing something with the threat of eternal damnation.

Monocle

There are only like 3 people in heaven
Haha, you gave me an image of three guys lounging around in an all white void in white togas next to one of those long party tables with dwindling bowls of fruit punch. A new guy arrives and they're like, "Oh my god, fucking finally. Now we can play a real game of Scrabble."

Yeah, heaven would probably be the most boring place there is.

Chuckie

1066235_o.gif~original

Is that a real live Snoopy in the background?

Log4Girlz

Haha, you gave me an image of three guys lounging around in an all white void in white togas next to one of those long party tables with dwindling bowls of fruit punch. A new guy arrives and they're like, "Oh my god, fucking finally. Now we can play a real game of Scrabble."

Yeah, heaven would probably be the most boring place there is.

So boring I bet like five bucks that god abandoned it long ago and is partying in hell.

Mr_Zombie

In response to the media attention, the Rev. Thomas Rosica, a Vatican spokesman, said that people who know about the Catholic church “cannot be saved” if they “refuse to enter her or remain in her.

So... if people wouldn't know about Catholic church (and thus didn't know about Jesus and all that stuff) they would still can go to heaven and would be judged only on their actions and not on their faith? So why the hell does Catholic church feel the need to teach people about Jesus and thus limiting their chances to go to heaven?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So... if people wouldn't know about Catholic church (and thus didn't know about Jesus and all that stuff) they would still can go to heaven and would be judged only on their actions and not on their faith? So why the hell does Catholic church feel the need to teach people about Jesus and thus limiting their chances to go to heaven?

The only answer is for the Church to just execute people at birth, ensuring their salvation.

Veronica

Banned
Cool, thread reminded me to watch Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut.

Now if we could only cut Orlando Bloom out. I have more balls than this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom