• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vatican clarifies Pope's statement: Atheists are still going to hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every church I have been to drilled in the same message every time, "God sacrificed his own son to wipe out our sins so the ONLY way to heaven is through Jesus" Every sermon had that line at least once, hammered into people. Mind you I have not been to a Catholic church so maybe they are different, somehow I doubt it.

Somehow I don't.

Acorn

Every church I have been to drilled in the same message every time, "God sacrificed his own son to wipe out our sins so the ONLY way to heaven is through Jesus" Every sermon had that line at least once, hammered into people. Mind you I have not been to a Catholic church so maybe they are different, somehow I doubt it.

Catholicism is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy different than Protestants.

Edit- Part of the reason I'm politically left wing (far left if you are american) is due to what I was brought up on. Protestants are more about the individual, Catholicism is more about society.

Ponn

Banned
Somehow I don't.

Apparently per the OP they do. Kind of a major part of the bible built into the religion.

Catholicism is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy different than Protestants.

Edit- Part of the reason I'm politically left wing (far left if you are american) is due to what I was brought up on. Protestants are more about the individual, Catholicism is more about society.

Well, I guess that's good, but its still part of my problem with just about all religions. Believing in something written, and re-written, and interpreted so many times so fervently but having these customized branches all based on what parts people want to believe and what parts people don't want to or ignore.

akira28

God bit the big one, and sacrificed his only son, to do us a solid and open the mystical...gateway between this world and heaven. So we owe it to Jesus to be on the team and to do whatever a good Christian does. All of which can be found in the bible. Even in little snippets. Holy shit that explains a lot.

(catholic btw, that is not us.)

Acorn

Apparently per the OP they do. Kind of a major part of the bible built into the religion.

Well, I guess that's good, but its still part of my problem with just about all religions. Believing in something written, and re-written, and interpreted so many times so fervently but having these customized branches all based on what parts people want to believe and what parts people don't want to or ignore.

Its a big book dude, there is alot of good shit in there, some not so good shit too. But thats what happens with a book that old that has been no doubt modified through the ages.

Menelaus

Banned
ok so proud warrior atheist need not care what puny Pope think, of course. But someone somewhere would see this as an opening for dialogue. The sort you drive a armored truck through. Because the man said it. They're not going anywhere, and interesting dialogue is interesting. Or just continue seeing the church as an archaic and unmoving rock of archaic unmovingness.

If Frankie said something in the spirit, and was about to say all atheists who do good works would go to heaven. There was a time when that would cause a sensation and tremendous debate.

Dialogs are meaningless. The church IS unchanging, and most Catholics pride themselves on being part of a very traditional religion. The quickest way to make the church irrelevant is to ignore them completely.

Ponn

Banned
Its a big book dude, there is alot of good shit in there, some not so good shit too. But thats what happens with a book that old that has been no doubt modified through the ages.

Theres lots of old books, not all of them get groups making belief systems around them though. I've just never got the logic, if these are the words of God and should be followed, and one truly believes in God enough to spend any sort of time worshipping then why would people feel they can get away with picking and choosing the parts most convenient for them. Like you will be able to somehow negotiate to get into heaven or that one is fooling God. If a person is betting on wanting to get into heaven so thats why they go and believe then why feel the need to half ass it. If you don't want to follow it then don't commit and you can still live your life like a good person.

akira28

Dialogs are meaningless. The church IS unchanging, and most Catholics pride themselves on being part of a very traditional religion. The quickest way to make the church irrelevant is to ignore them completely.

well that's your opinion dude. They might be proud of the age and endurance of the church, but the tradition has a lot of dark history too, and Catholics want to do something about that.

Dialogs aren't meaningless.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's funny how the consequences of Christianity are so fretted over. Meanwhile, your lazy asses aren't doing anything to seek moksha and escape from the samsaric cycle of death and rebirth. That goes for Christians and Atheists alike!

DarkFlow

Banned
Better than heaven with those douchebag angels.

is9Dyw89fkNMt.gif
Supernatural is now the real word on religion.

Valhelm

contribute something
Can't the pope fire these people? They're contradicting him.

I really feel like the Catholic bureaucracy didn't know what they were getting into when they chose this guy.

Link Man

Banned
So if you are an atheist, you have two choices:

1) Say that you accept Jesus and practice religion. However, you will know that you are lying to yourself, and thus breaking a commandment.

2) Continue to not believe.

Both will lead you to Hell. God sure does love his paradoxes, doesn't he?

Fake Edit: Looking over the commandments again, it only forbids bearing false witness against your neighbor. So I guess lying to yourself is okay.

Real Edit: Wow, God really doesn't like art, does he?

Acorn

So if you are an atheist, you have two choices:

1) Say that you accept Jesus and practice religion. However, you will know that you are lying to yourself, and thus breaking a commandment.

2) Continue to not believe.

Both will lead you to Hell. God sure does love his paradoxes, doesn't he?

Fake Edit: Looking over the commandments again, it only forbids bearing false witness against your neighbor. So I guess lying to yourself is okay.

Real Edit: Wow, God really doesn't like art, does he?

If your understanding of religion is break one of the ten commandments and your fucked, then I really don't know what to say to you.

Acorn

Can't the pope fire these people? They're contradicting him.

I really feel like the Catholic bureaucracy didn't know what they were getting into when they chose this guy.

He wasn't speaking infallibly - anyone is free to disagree.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
lol at the vatican backtracking at the pope's statements of inclusion and understanding..... that is straight out of "The Brothers Karamazov"

Link Man

Banned
Guidance. If you break them or any other sin you can easily redeem yourself, never heard of confession?

I have. However, if you do not believe, and resort to lying to yourself to try to fit in, then confessing will not absolve the sin. You'll continue to lie to yourself, until you are brainwashed into believing.

Acorn

I have. However, if you do not believe, and resort to lying to yourself to try to fit in, then confessing will not absolve the sin. You'll continue to lie to yourself, until you are brainwashed into believing.

Well don't lie to yourself? Nobody is forcing you to be religious. Regardless, the way I was taught was essentially if you do more good in your life than you do bad, god will look upon you favourably regardless of your belief.

Well don't lie to yourself? Nobody is forcing you to be religious. Regardless, the way I was taught was essentially if you do more good in your life than you do bad, god will look upon you favourably regardless of your belief.

Where does it say that in the Bible? In Catholic doctrine even the most heinous of criminals can enter heaven provided they believe and are sorrowful for their actions IE Purgatory

Link Man

Banned

The whole point of this statement is that the Vatican wants to force people to be religious, using the threat of Hell as punishment.

Edit: Just to note, your view is the one I would hope God would favor.

Acorn

Where does it say that in the Bible? In Catholic doctrine even the most heinous of criminals can enter heaven provided they believe and are sorrowful for their actions IE Purgatory

It doesn't, but its what I was taught provided they are sorry for their sins - Which I neglected to say.

Acorn

The whole point of this statement is that the Vatican wants to force people to be religious, using the threat of Hell as punishment.

What? No they don't, don't be religious zero fucks will be given. Nobody is forcing religion on anyone.

Demon Ice

Banned
In other news, the Vatican has also threatened to take away all of our pet unicorns and dragons.

What? No they don't, don't be religious zero fucks will be given. Nobody is forcing religion on anyone.

Yeah they're still giving everyone the freedom to choose, they're just being kind enough to inform everybody that if they make the choice the Vatican doesn't like, they'll be suffering for all eternity.

I am happy that the Pope himself seems like a good man and believes in humanity and wants to better it so we can leave in harmony. The Catholic Church stinks, though.

Church is a 'her'?

Most countries and old institutions are referred to as "she". I knew why for a while, but I guess it went out so my memory could store more useless video game trivia.

Acorn

In other news, the Vatican has also threatened to take away all of our pet unicorns and dragons.

Yeah they're still giving everyone the freedom to choose, they're just being kind enough to inform everybody that if they make the choice the Vatican doesn't like, they'll be suffering for all eternity.

The Pope was asked...

Edit In any case why would you care, you do not believe in it. I don't believe in Fairys so being excluded from their club wouldn't bother me.

So if a person doesnt believe in God, but lives a holly life. Meaning he helps the poor, helps the sick etc. he is still going to hell? I thought god would forgive.

In Christianity (or at least whatever branches are prominent in the Christianity OT) god/Jesus's magical spell of Unconditional Forgiveness only works when you believe in him. Otherwise he somehow cannot cleanse you of your sin and heaven cannot take you in.

legend166

How much good is enough? What is classified as good or bad? Is it relative? Is it based on the cultural norms of our time period? Doesn't that mean it's easier for some people who live in a more 'hedonistic' society? If I do bad, how much good do I have to do to wipe it out?

Acorn

How much good is enough? What is classified as good or bad? Is it relative? Is it based on the cultural norms of our time period? Doesn't that mean it's easier for some people who live in a more 'hedonistic' society? If I do bad, how much good do I have to do to wipe it out?

I'm not god, hell I've not went to church in near 8 years.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I wonder, does anyone have information on the number of Catholics/Christians and other religions on now compared to the past. I wonder if more or less have faith.
Christianity is increasing at a rate of 1.36% annually. The number of adherents is growing, due to new converts mainly in Asia.

I classify good using John Stuart Mill's Utilitarianism. That which provides the greatest amount of happiness for the greatest amount of people, and that which alleviates suffering and pain.

Pretty sure it's close to that since Christianity is spreading pretty rapidly in the asian countries like South Korea or China. The missionaries are working hard to convert people.

Hopefully South Korea and China don't get as fucked up as Uganda thanks to the missionaries.

Acorn

Pretty sure it's close to that since Christianity is spreading pretty rapidly in the asian countries like South Korea or China. The missionaries are working hard to convert people.

Really? Wow, why south korea now? China I get, since it wasn't really open to westerners until relatively recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom