• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vatican clarifies Pope's statement: Atheists are still going to hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

ahaha how many fucking centuries will they fight the faith vs good works battle? They have money in the bank, so really this is just about turf at this point.

So much so, they'll even overrule the Pope.

legbone

It is ok for you to believe what you believe. That is your right.
It is great that you have the ability to challenge and question dogma. Never stop questioning, never stop thinking critically. Those are the two more important things. Good luck.

thanks. i will never stop questioning and thinking critically. i'd be a fool if i did.

boiled goose

good with gravy
ahaha how many fucking centuries will they fight the faith vs good works battle? They have money in the bank, so really this is just about turf at this point.

So much so, they'll even overrule the Pope.

Both arguments can be made from the Bible. The argument will never end till people chuck the bible entirely.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
In response to the media attention, the Rev. Thomas Rosica, a Vatican spokesman, said that people who know about the Catholic church “cannot be saved” if they “refuse to enter her or remain in her.”

(Translation: Atheists are going to Hell if they don’t accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.)

The translation bit sounds less strict that the original quote. It makes it sound like all Christians are going to heaven, but the actual quote sounds like those dirty protestants are fucked.

Log4Girlz

This pope seems like a cool guy.

The Vatican though, why you gotta hate on my shit?

Unlike some who may accuse atheists of being arrogant, at least I believe in the end, everyone is equal regardless of beliefs or lack of thereof. I do not understand how expecting hellfire on anyone who doesn't share your beliefs is somehow indicative of humility.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Lol Catholic Church!

Knew it, by the way. The "only through me" bit is a doctrine they can never slide on, because its what gives them legitimacy.

gurudyne

I do not understand how expecting hellfire on anyone who doesn't share your beliefs is somehow indicative of humility.

It's indicative of humility, just not in any way relevant to non-believers. Logic goes like this:

Humility before God (by staying true to one's own faith regardless of outcome) > humility before fellow man.

In fact:

Anything in regards to God > anything in regards to man.

I agree with you that paying more service to one's faith than to fellow human beings erodes one's own humanity, but that's because I'm an atheist and see religious faith as largely meaningless. If I were a religious man, that would be reversed, especially in the Judeo-Christian set where God's interactions with the first Israelite laid down the groundwork for faith in God trumping human concerns like compassion, love and saddest of all, even reason (Abraham's sacrifice on the mountain.)

It's a sad and tragic worldview, but it makes sense. Just comes down to the question "How much do we owe God?"

BocoDragon

It's indicative of humility, just not in any way relevant to non-believers. Logic goes like this:

Humility before God (by staying true to one's own faith regardless of outcome) > humility before fellow man.

In fact:

Anything in regards to God > anything in regards to man.

I agree with you that paying more service to one's faith than to fellow human beings erodes one's own humanity, but that's because I'm an atheist and see religious faith as largely meaningless. If I were a religious man, that would be reversed, especially in the Judeo-Christian set where God's interactions with the first Israelite laid down the groundwork for faith in God trumping human concerns like compassion, love and saddest of all, even reason (Abraham's sacrifice on the mountain.)

It's a sad and tragic worldview, but it makes sense. Just comes down to the question "How much do we owe God?"
God is like a loan shark. Better pay him back or he'll bust up your shins.

I find it telling that the Vatican church is very explicit in what ultimate fate they feel is appropriate for atheists but are conflicted when it comes to pedophiles within their own gates.

BocoDragon

Think about the fact that there are GROWN MEN discussing things like this.

Religion.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I'll sure be surprised when I end up in a place I don't believe in. "Well I'll be damned!"

akira28

Both arguments can be made from the Bible. The argument will never end till people chuck the bible entirely.

That kind of misses the point. The point isn't to make a case or finding an argument to make, and they've forgotten that. They forget that, they may as well chuck the bible entirely, because it hasn't done them any good.

But no, I won't support bible chucking, except in self-defense.

BocoDragon

Grown men are willing to murder each other over this, dude. Discussing it is petty but still less destructive.
But at least nutty activity like murder is consistent with the nutty nature of religious source material.

A beauracracy of elderly men having a big important debate over who goes to World 8 - Fire World for thinking the wrong thoughts is just that much more absurd.

Is it as bad as grown men arguing over games?
Games are real.

t-ramp

Think about the fact that there are GROWN MEN discussing things like this.

Religion.
It especially boggles my mind whenever a supposedly rational person makes claims about the sneaky shenanigans Satan is up to.

Also amusing is the fact that protestant Christians I'm acquainted with poke fun at the ridiculous stuff Mormons or Catholics believe. Plank in your own eye, etc.

Ikael

This headline is facetious as fuck. So a priest is now a "Vatican spokesman" and his autority overrides the Pope's? Also, no mention on hell or whatsoever on his quote but hey, let's put it there for good shocking measure. Fucking pathetic piece of "journalism" that had to shit unpon an actual much needed gesture of goodwill towards atheists, but then again, articles that reinforces people's beliefs, such as the inherent evilness of the catholic church are always popular, I guess. For some people it is really easy to fall for this.

jaxword

This headline is facetious as fuck. So a priest is now a "Vatican spokesman" and his autority overrides the Pope's? Also, no mention on hell or whatsoever on his quote but hey, let's put it there for good shocking measure. Fucking pathetic piece of "journalism" that had to shit unpon an actual much needed gesture of goodwill towards atheists, but then again, articles that reinforces people's beliefs, such as the inherent evilness of the catholic church are always popular, I guess. For some people it is really easy to fall for this, I guess.

So you're saying that this priest doesn't represent Catholics?

Alchemy

But I thought God loved me? Or is he really so egotistical and petty that he would damn people to eternal suffering for not worshiping him regardless of their other actions during life?

eso76

So, you heard them guys. If you're an atheist you can do what you want, it doesn't make a difference if you help old ladies cross the street or sell drugs to 8 years olds.

remist

This headline is facetious as fuck. So a priest is now a "Vatican spokesman" and his autority overrides the Pope's? Also, no mention on hell or whatsoever on his quote but hey, let's put it there for good shocking measure. Fucking pathetic piece of "journalism" that had to shit unpon an actual much needed gesture of goodwill towards atheists, but then again, articles that reinforces people's beliefs, such as the inherent evilness of the catholic church are always popular, I guess. For some people it is really easy to fall for this.

Yes, he is a Vatican spokesman. He part of the Holy See press office and a official spokesperson. I really don't see where people are getting that he is overriding the pope. The pope's original remarks weren't clear and Rosica claims to speak to the pope's intentions. If that is a lie then I'm sure the pope will clear things up. And unless I'm mistaken Hell and purgatory are part of official catholic dogma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom