• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vatican clarifies Pope's statement: Atheists are still going to hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenist

I'm sad now. I wanted to go to heaven ...

It's logical though. You can't walk through Crip territory wearing Blood colors and expect not to get shot. Wearing the right color jersey is important.

Kidding aside, I don't claim to be some authority on religion but isn't denying God pretty much the worst sin possible according to the church? You're actually worse than the devil.

Espresso

Banned
So people that don't believe in Hell are threatened with going to a place they don't think exists?

That'll show em.

Indeed it will. Unfortunately for unbelievers, at that point it will be too late.

Allow me to quote scripture:

Luke 16:20-26

And there was a certain beggar, named Lazarus, who lay at his gate, full of sores, desiring to be filled with the crumbs that fell from the rich man's table, and no one did give him; moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom.

And the rich man also died: and he was buried in hell. And lifting up his eyes when he was in torments, he saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom: And he cried, and said: Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, to cool my tongue: for I am tormented in this flame.

And Abraham said to him:

'Son, remember that thou didst receive good things in thy lifetime, and likewise Lazarus evil things, but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And besides all this, between us and you, there is fixed a great chaos: so that they who would pass from hence to you, cannot, nor from thence come hither.'

legbone

Religion is about selling a product: eternal salvation. Mario isn't coming to Playstation.

not all religion is selling only salvation. i believe mine teaches how you should treat people. basically, "don't be a dick". be nice. take care of each other.

Indeed it will. Unfortunately for unbelievers, at that point it will be too late.

Allow me to quote scripture:

Luke 16:20-26

And there was a certain beggar, named Lazarus, who lay at his gate, full of sores, desiring to be filled with the crumbs that fell from the rich man's table, and no one did give him; moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom.

And the rich man also died: and he was buried in hell. And lifting up his eyes when he was in torments, he saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom: And he cried, and said: Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, to cool my tongue: for I am tormented in this flame.

And Abraham said to him:

My eyes glazed over, sorry.

Pachinko

Santa Claus to children of the world " you might still be a good kid if you don't believe I exist but you sure won't get any presents"

That's basically my thoughts on anything that comes out of the vatican/pope. Threatening atheists with this is completely wasted. "hey start believing in that thing that doesn't exist or when you die you'll continue to exist somehow in another place that doesn't exist and it'll be really bad and stuff".

Jackpot

Banned
The devil has killed way less people than God. And for mortal sins too rather than, say, making fun of a guy for being bald. Would rather be in his place than the other nutter's.

boiled goose

good with gravy
not all religion is selling only salvation. i believe mine teaches how you should treat people. basically, "don't be a dick". be nice. take care of each other.

you can do a better job by thinking about it, than by reading an ancient book.

If the bible is not the word of god, and the dogma dictated by the higher ups is not what you believe, then how do you decide what is right?

Mii

Banned
Considering it took this long to 'clarify', I think Francis actually disagrees with the Vatican's statement.

Durask

Don't they have a "first circle" in Hell, meaning that if you didn't do anything evil, just did not believe in Christ, then you are not treated too badly.

Or did Dante just make all this stuff up and it's all like Hieronymus Bosch???

(Paintings by Bosch not linked bc you can google them).

legbone

you can do a better job by thinking about it, than by reading an ancient book.

If the bible is not the word of god, and the dogma dictated by the higher ups is not what you believe, then how do you decide what is right?

with reason. i don't need a bible to tell me what is wrong or right. my conscience guides me. i don't read the bible. in fact, i'm not sure if it's even the divine word of god. it may be a book written by men about their interpretation of a great man that lived long ago (Christ). anyway, i studied philosophy extensively for several years before converting to catholicism. i follow nothing blindly. i joined the catholic faith because i believe it is truly universal and includes all. i believe god is love. period.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I thought it was obvious that Francis was referring to the age-old "Everyone is saved, but you need to accept salvation" idea, i.e. people still need to accept God/Jesus.

Can I accept salvation after I die?

with reason. i don't need a bible to tell me what is wrong or right. my conscience guides me. i don't read the bible. in fact, i'm not sure if it's even the divine word of god. it may be a book written by men about their interpretation of a great man that lived long ago (Christ). anyway, i studied philosophy extensively for several years before converting to catholicism. i follow nothing blindly. i joined the catholic faith because i believe it is truly universal and includes all. i believe god is love. period.

Strange. What you are describing yourself as is not a catholic, you are just calling yourself one. Seems to me you are just someone who believes in god without any particular doctrine. And I guess you believe in Jesus (as a man, but not a deity?)
If you do not believe that Jesus was god or the son of god, then you are most definitely not a catholic.

MarkusRJR

Oh no! The Pope said something open minded that could be construed as a positive statement, shut everything down! We must clarify that everyone not in our group is going straight into hell where they'll be tortured for all eternity... Maybe they'll join us now?

I honestly don't get why the Catholic Church is so hostile to everyone that doesn't follow their religion.

Subtle

From the looks of it, the Vatican doesn't seem to like the Pope very much.

Edit: in the sense that he's a lot more open minded than the Vatican spokesperson.

Monocle

Oh good, for a second there I was afraid the Pope had taken a sane position.

Fuck, guess I'll have to go murder a dozen people. I'm going to hell anyway.
If you poop on their bellies too, you might be able to convince Jebus that you went crazy and couldn't help your actions, so you deserve heaven after all. I'm not sure if it works that way, but what do you have to lose?

KKAgA1H.jpg

"Fuck you, I'm blessed."

remist

This should serve as a good example of why it's difficult for one person to effect meaningful change in a large and well-established organization, even if that one person is theoretically God's voice on earth.

Why are you so sure that the pope wants to effect change and this clarification is contrary to what he was trying to get across. If he disagrees with this clarification he can just come out and say it.

legbone

Can I accept salvation after I die?

Strange. What you are describing yourself as is not a catholic, you are just calling yourself one. Seems to me you are just someone who believes in god without any particular doctrine. And I guess you believe in Jesus (as a man, but not a deity?)
If you do not believe that Jesus was god or the son of god, then you are most definitely not a catholic.

i'm sorry, i wasn't clear. i see jesus as both man and deity. i believe in jesus. i am christian and that is why i joined the catholic church. it came directly from christ. i just don't believe the dogma of the church. i feel his message has been diluted and misused by the church for quite some time. jesus did not say atheists, gays, and others aren't going to heaven. he said love thy enemy. do unto others, etc. in fact, he said nothing about laying with other men, etc.

edit: i will never be able to completely explain how i believe. i believe anyone can receive forgiveness no matter how grave their sins. and i don't think there is any reason why atheists have to go to hell just because they don't believe. if i believed that i could not call myself christian.

t-ramp

i'm sorry, i wasn't clear. i see jesus as both man and deity. i believe in jesus. i am christian and that is why i joined the catholic church. it came directly from christ. i just don't believe the dogma of the church. i feel his message has been diluted and misused by the church for quite some time. jesus did not say atheists, gays, and others aren't going to heaven. he said love thy enemy. do unto others, etc. in fact, he said nothing about laying with other men, etc.

edit: i will never be able to completely explain how i believe. i believe anyone can receive forgiveness no matter how grave their sins. and i don't think there is any reason why atheists have to go to hell just because they don't believe. if i believed that i could not call myself christian.
You do realize what Jesus' supposed purpose in coming to Earth was, right? I'm with you on the dogma stuff, but you're basically ignoring the primary function of Jesus, which is to save those who accept from their sins.

It's all nonsense, but "do good things and go to paradise when you die" is not Christianity.

pigeon

Banned
Why are you so sure that the pope wants to effect change and this clarification is contrary to what he was trying to get across. If he disagrees with this clarification he can just come out and say it.

If he agreed with the clarification, he would have clarified it himself.

legbone

You do realize what Jesus' supposed purpose in coming to Earth was, right? I'm with you on the dogma stuff, but you're basically ignoring the primary function of Jesus, which is to save those who accept from their sins.

It's all nonsense, but "do good things and go to paradise when you die" is not Christianity.

i do believe he came here to take away our sins. they are on him. i'm sorry, when i said i believe in jesus, that was part of it. i believe in jesus, all aspects including dying for our sins.

i'm outta here. i won't go on defending my catholicism (or lack of it). i will go on living the way i choose and hope for the best.

remist

If he agreed with the clarification, he would have clarified it himself.

He seems to have done just that through a spokesperson. Rosica seems to speak for the popes intentions. If that is a misrepresentation, then Francis can clarify. I doubt this was issued without his knowledge.

kottila

It's a bit weird that the infallible pope, getting his words directly from god, speaks in such a way that the vatican needs to clarify what he meant. Would've thought that god was able to get his meaning across without needing help from the vatican media department

PJV3

it's a bit old fashioned, change things, keep it fresh.
Fanboy heaven and hell, imagine an eternity with a device of your chosen enemy.

Come on Francis, get with the fucking times.

legbone

It's a bit weird that the infallible pope, getting his words directly from god, speaks in such a way that the vatican needs to clarify what he meant. Would've thought that god was able to get his meaning across without needing help from the vatican media department

read the thread, or better yet, do some research. everything the pope says is not infallible. it's not like he can just say "the sky is green" and boom, infallible. sorry, i was leaving but i just can't let this go. it's been explained several times in this thread. papal infallibility is only the case in really rare circumstances.

boiled goose

good with gravy
i do believe he came here to take away our sins. they are on him. i'm sorry, when i said i believe in jesus, that was part of it. i believe in jesus, all aspects including dying for our sins.

i'm outta here. i won't go on defending my catholicism (or lack of it). i will go on living the way i choose and hope for the best.

It is ok for you to believe what you believe. That is your right.
It is great that you have the ability to challenge and question dogma. Never stop questioning, never stop thinking critically. Those are the two more important things. Good luck.

The bible is self contradicting... Thinking too hard about it will not really get you anywhere. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom