• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists observe gravitational waves from the Big Bang for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cromat

This is direct evidence for the modern Big Bang/Inflation model of cosmology.

Collapse into a black hole if old.

Waves in the very fabric of the cosmos are allowing us to peer further back in time than anyone thought possible, showing us what was happening in the first slivers of a second after the big bang. If confirmed, the discovery of these primordial waves will have rippling effects throughout science. It backs up key predictions for how the universe began and operates, and offers a glimmer of hope for tying together two foundational theories of modern physics. It might even net the discoverers a Nobel prize.

The waves in question are called gravitational waves and are produced when a massive object accelerates through the fabric of space-time, causing ripples. They appear in Einstein's highly successful theory of general relativity, although they have never been directly detected.

Today, scientists working with the BICEP2 collaboration at the south pole announced the first clear sign of gravitational waves, found in maps of the earliest light emitted after the big bang. The distinctive swirls made by the waves are more pronounced than the team expected, because models had suggested that gravitational waves from this early era would be incredibly weak and perhaps even undetectable.

More at the link:

http://www.newscientist.com/article...of-big-bang-ripples-from-universes-birth.html

G.ZZZ

What's surprising is that the signal was so strong meaning that probably the model is actually wrong. Which is the best thing since it mean there are so many possibilities and a new, better understanding, may be underway.

Mdot

I love science. Shit confuses me and I won't pretend to understand half of this stuff, but it's amazing nonetheless.

very cool. see people, this is how scientific theories work. they predict other things we should observe if the theory is true, and for every subsequent thing that we do observe the theory becomes more water tight.

if you claim a scientific theory is 'just a theory' you are wrong. it isn't just a theory, it's a scientific theory.

Cromat

This also marks the first time a quantum-gravitational effect has been directly observed, so by analyzing the details physicists can come closer to that holy grail.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
very cool. see people, this is how scientific theories work. they predict other things we should observe if the theory is true, and for every subsequent thing that we do observe the theory becomes more water tight.

if you claim a scientific theory is 'just a theory' you are wrong. it isn't just a theory, it's a scientific theory.

so adjectives are the key? :D

e_i

Nobel prize worthy? I've seen other articles saying they researchers could win the prize, that this discovery is up there with the Higgs-Boson.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
no galactus was there, but thats cause he was in a steady state model universe his collapsed then was born again and he turned into the hunger incarnate.

Yeah, I know. Was about to just post surf's up, but then I saw that comment above me. I gravely apologize for the false comic book lore.

very cool. see people, this is how scientific theories work.

This point was made by the guy who hosts Cosmos on Nat Geo in an interview with, I believe, Stephen Colbert. It's a great point, that once a theory is backed over and over by experimental proof it should no longer be considered speculation. To do so is invalid and therfore a waste of time.

I tried to watch the livestream of this but the harvard site went down (no surprise these the whole world was trying to watch) and the alternative was a shaky cam ustream link that crashed and played ads that were like 3 times the volume.

If you're interested in looking at the research papers they are here.

Famassu

Guys just how was Einstein such a boss?
Imagine what a person with his way-out-there-ideas and intellect could do if he/she lived in today's society, with the tools & knowledge we have today. I mean, there are incredibly intelligent & motivated scientists like Lawrence Krauss, Stephen Hawking etc., but I'm not sure if they quite reach Einstein's... scientific intuition, intellect and/or whatever he had to be able to come up with such ideas with such limited knowledge & tools at his disposal.

sphinx

the piano man
CMB_Timeline300.jpg

the big bang is cool and all, I can somehow wrap my head around it but what was BEFORE the Big Bang? was there 100% Dark Matter???

and what caused the creation of the energetic materials that then exploded and created the Big Bang? where do they come from?

what if what we call "the observable universe" is some kind of a microscopic experiment of some scientists in another layer of the universe and we are just a result of some scientists that produced this big bang inside a massive container that holds the universe as we now it?

the picture shows that we are like in some kind of deliberated process that evolves constantly.

ElFly

How was him being against QM good science?

He helped write the paper on "why the quantum mechanics theory is stupid and smells", also known as "Can Quantum-Mechanical Description of Physical Reality Be Considered Complete? "

Which lead to the EPR Paradox (the E is for Einstein).

Which lead to Bell's theorem. Turns out Einstein was right in attacking quantum theory in his paper.

It just so happens that reality is fucking crazy.

Famassu

the big bang is cool and all, I can somehow wrap my head around it but what was BEFORE the Big Bang? was there 100% Dark Matter???
I'm not sure if it's something we can comprehend. We are a species who live in this kind of ever-expanding space and ever-advancing time, so it might be impossible for us to understand what can there be before (this kind of) space & time continuum exists. I mean, some (religious) people argue that there can't be a big bang if there's nothing before big bang, but what we observe as "nothing" isn't necessarily "nothing" at all, but it might be something. Not sure if that makes sense...

Trey

He helped write the paper on "why the quantum mechanics theory is stupid and smells", also known as "Can Quantum-Mechanical Description of Physical Reality Be Considered Complete? "

Which lead to the EPR Paradox (the E is for Einstein).

Which lead to Bell's theorem. Turns out Einstein was right in attacking quantum theory in his paper.

It just so happens that reality is fucking crazy.

Yep. That paper forced the scientific community to change their entire outlook on reality because under the current paradigm, Einstein et al were correct. Bell laid the philosophical groundwork based on Einstein's argument.

While interesting, I think there is a book that says that the big bang theory isn't correct.

There are tons of competing theories.
Big Bang is just the most prominent.

On topic: Interesting, but I've always subscribed to this theory anyway. The real question is how many Big Bang/Big Crunches there have been and how the matter got there in the first place. Hawking has an interesting take on the subject in "The Grand Design" if anyone is interested in supplemental reading.

There are tons of competing theories.
Big Bang is just the most prominent.

On topic: Interesting, but I've always subscribed to this theory anyway. The real question is how many Big Bang/Big Crunches there have been and how the matter got there in the first place. Hawking has an interesting take on the subject in "The Grand Design" if anyone is interested in supplemental reading.

I'm under the impression that the Big Crunch theory is more or less on its way out the door. Expansion of the universe and density of matter make it almost impossible.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
the big bang is cool and all, I can somehow wrap my head around it but what was BEFORE the Big Bang?
There is no before that as far as we can ever really be concerned, because there's essentially no such thing as "before that" if the Big Bang is defined as the way we have defined it, as the beginning of spacetime, light, matter, and all that jazz. It's also the same answer as "what is the universe expanding into" or "what is outside the universe". There is no rational answer that can follow on from the bare definition of the term. To provide an answer, you have to redefine existance as we know it. And, maybe we have it wrong and we'll tap on the glass sometime and something will tap back and we will find out we are sitting in a big foamy soup of soap bubbles, but good luck if that's your theory because you're gonna have to get off the ride to prove it is just a ride.

HeySeuss

What if our observable universe from the big bang is just a massive star that went super nova and there is an infinite number of other observable universes that can only be seen from within them?

Science is cool but a mindfuck sometimes.

boiled goose

good with gravy

and what caused the creation of the energetic materials that then exploded and created the Big Bang? where do they come from?

what if what we call "the observable universe" is some kind of a microscopic experiment of some scientists in another layer of the universe and we are just a result of some scientists that produced this big bang inside a massive container that holds the universe as we now it?

the picture shows that we are like in some kind of deliberated process that evolves constantly.

before is kind of weird to talk about when given our current understanding time itself with the big band.

cause and effect might be weird to talk about as well. that said, we know that matter and energy can 'pop' in and out of existence quantum mechanically, so we need more understanding. if we can pinpoint the initial conditions precisely, perhaps it could be proven that this universe was initiated by a random quantum mechanical fluctuation. again, not easy to think about, because we dont even know what things looked like before.

about the virtual universe. maybe, but we have no reason to think so, and it really is a non answer. how did the 'real' universe our universe is in begin? you r just pushing the question back a step.

deliberated?

This point was made by the guy who hosts Cosmos on Nat Geo in an interview with, I believe, Stephen Colbert. It's a great point, that once a theory is backed over and over by experimental proof it should no longer be considered speculation. To do so is invalid and therfore a waste of time.

right. for example, Einstein's Theory of Relativity predicted that time would slow down as you travel closer to the speed of light, before we had time pieces accurate enough (and vehicles fast enough) to put it to test. Years later, jet fighters and atomic clocks did an experiment that could never have been done at the time, and their results lined up with Einstein's predictions.

The Theory of Evolution predicted that we would find ring species, and it predicted that we would find a mechanism by which traits could be passed on imperfectly. Both these things happened.

That doesn't make those theories factually 100% true, but it makes them GOOD scientific theories.

we don't know yet. an answer that science is very happy to give to any question. everything that exists in our universe as far as we can tell post dates the big bang. that isn't just matter, but all energy too. even time. even empty space. there isn't anything we can observe right now that can give us a single clue as to what went before.

it's like trying to tell what happened to a person before they were conceived by analyzing their body.

maybe someday this won't be true, but we can only figure out our own universe by observing our own universe, and we have no way of observing out side of it.

even so, there are so many big unanswered questions about our universe, that I doubt science is going to ever run out of stuff to try to figure out.

sphinx

the piano man
deliberated?

yes, I can't quite understand how can possibly ONE single event in the whole existance of what is known to have existed and will exist in the universe as we know it could have been the cause of "everything"... and the word everything here is quite scary, as it means absolutely everything that exists and according to some scientic and religious theories, even of that, that doesn't exist. That ONE event causes everything seems way to deliberated, I Think I'd find multiple things happening and occuring at different points in time a more feasible way of creating such a complex and big universe.

besides, the Big Bang seems to be related only to the observable universe as the consequences of it are needed for humans to get info about distant points in time and space but what about evrything else?

the arrows in this pic

conseq-visiblerange.jpeg

what is beyond the visibility diameter??

I know questions with no answers but they keep bugging me >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom