• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis states that Catholics should stop breeding like rabbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

In comments on birth control, while advocating the churches stance against it, the Pope made some good comments on how people misuse stated stance of church.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/01/20/378559550/pope-francis-says-catholics-dont-need-to-breed-like-rabbits

"Telling the story of a woman he met in a parish in Rome several months ago who had given birth to seven children via cesarean section and was pregnant with an eighth, Francis asked: 'Does she want to leave the seven orphans?'
" 'This is to tempt God,' he said, adding later: 'That is an irresponsibility.' Catholics, the pope said, should speak of 'responsible parenthood.'
" 'How do we do this?' Francis asked. 'With dialogue. Each person with his pastor seeks how to do that responsible parenthood.'
" 'God gives you methods to be responsible,' he continued. 'Some think that — excuse the word — that in order to be good Catholics we have to be like rabbits. No.' "

ICKE

Banned
This is a significant policy change from the Catholic church that has consequences across the world.

Very interesting and arguably extremely positive. There must have been furious debates behind the scenes, because it is hard to interpret the scripture.

I believe there was a legitimate reason for previous Popes to resist state sanctioned population control in the past but times change.

This is a significant policy change from the Catholic church that has consequences across the world.

Very interesting and arguably extremely positive. There must have been furious debates behind the scenes, because it is hard to interpret the scripture.

No, it isn't. He's still against birth control (other than pulling out maybe, he's probably against that too). He just thinks people shouldn't fuck as much. Like the Catholic position has always been.

ICKE

Banned
No, it isn't. He's still against condoms. He just thinks people shouldn't fuck as much. Like the Catholic position has always been.

You have to take into account the political ramifications. He did not specifically speak against contraception and said that individuals should always judge based on their specific circumstances. Same situation applies to homosexuality, he can not sanction or support marital rights outright but he remained silent while stating that every human is equal before God despite their sexual orientation. That is a big deal and you should not set the bar too high, similar to any other leader who has to deal with a significant conservative majority within the bureaucracy.

Also note the context when this was said. Francis is a reformer and a positive force for the Church and millions of people.

Ryuuroden

No, it isn't. He's still against condoms. He just thinks people shouldn't fuck as much. Like the Catholic position has always been.

Well, hes saying people should stop using the churches stance to try everything possible to impregnate their wives. There are non artificial ways to lower the chances of pregnancy that people say the church is against but really the fact is they arn't. Guys just want to creampie thats all, so they use the church to do it :p

UrbanRats

BUT I CAN'T STOP CUMMING IN MY WIFE.

image.php

Ryuuroden

I don't get it. Why is pulling out okay but using a condom isn't?

Its a matter of theology. When you don't pull out, your body is making a conscious choice to make a baby. If you pull out you are making a natural choice not to. If you block it with a condom you are just defeating natural process through artificial means. Getting the enjoyment of creampie without the annoyance of kids :p

I am only half joking on what stated above. There is some truth to it.

I don't see how anyone can interpret this as a significant policy departure, when the Church's stance has always been "treat sex and babies with responsibility" (even though at the same time applying that logic to taking responsibility for unplanned pregnancies by carrying them to term and avoiding unplanned pregnancies by abstaining from sex). The difference is that people who are deluded into thinking "be fruitful and multiply" means "have as many babies as possible" have a bit less fuel for the flames.

ICKE

Banned
I don't see how anyone can interpret this as a significant policy departure, when the Church's stance has always been "treat sex and babies with responsibility" (even though at the same time applying that logic to taking responsibility for unplanned pregnancies by carrying them to term and avoiding unplanned pregnancies by abstaining from sex). The difference is that people who are deluded into thinking "be fruitful and multiply" means "have as many babies as possible" have a bit less fuel for the flames.

There are very conservative factions within the Church, especially in third world countries. The Pope saying something like this does have consequences I believe.

There are very conservative factions within the Church, especially in third world countries. The Pope saying something like this does have consequences I believe.

Judging by reactions to what Pope Francis has said so far, I fully expect anyone who comes away with a hugely conservative interpretation of Catholic teaching isn't going to let something as insignificant as an offhand comment from the Pope deter them.

GamerJM

Banned
No, it isn't. He's still against birth control (other than pulling out maybe, he's probably against that too). He just thinks people shouldn't fuck as much. Like the Catholic position has always been.

What I got from the quote was mostly just that married Catholics shouldn't have sex outside of trying to conceive children

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe don't forbid birth control then...? Stupid nonsense.

EDIT: Oh, it's more that people should preferably not have sex at all. Ok, yeah, stupid nonsense.

(I do agree that people shouldn't reproduce uncontrollably and end up with more kids than they can take care of.)

Darknight

This is something that should be taught to Hispanic Catholics. My family is fricking huge. Stop having kids and better yourself first before having kids....damn its so simple yet look at us.

Im single, no kids, mid 20s. Half my family think Im weird and I wouldnt put off the idea of them thinking Im gay just because Im not like them.

antonz

Its all about Parental responsibility. All he is saying is breed within your means and not become a drain on society.

For some big families are no problem. Great Aunt had 13 children. All of them were well taken care of and the one who "achieved the least" ended up a Command Master Chief in the Navy for his career while others are doctors ,lawyers etc.

Big families can work well if the parents are capable and actually give a shit

He's just reaffirming what the official catholic position has been since 1968. You can read it yourself.

Actually, pulling out is very much forbidden. What's allowed is planning sex so you don't have sex during "fertile times", and of course abstaining from sex entirely.

Its all about Parental responsibility. All he is saying is breed within your means and not become a drain on society.

For some big families are no problem. Great Aunt had 13 children. All of them were well taken care of and the one who "achieved the least" ended up a Command Master Chief in the Navy for his career while others are doctors ,lawyers etc.

Big families can work well if the parents are capable and actually give a shit

This sounds like a modest proposal for preventing the children of poor people from being a burthen to their parents or country, and for making them beneficial to the publick.

Ryuuroden

Its stupid cause the Church teaches all sorts of wrong dogma. Such as Mary died a virgin when its well documented that Jesus had a bunch of siblings so her and Joseph fucked a bunch. Plus no where in the Bible does it state that you can't use stuff like condoms and condoms existed all the way back in that time. Made of stuff like sheep intestines. The churches stance on not allowing birth control AFTER marriage is one of the more nonsensical of the many crazy stances it has. I mean it came up with all this shit before science explained the magic of sperm and eggs. How recent is this no birth control stance anyways. How many centuries? It cannot have been an original stance from the formation of the church.

Rabbit's testicles can go back up inside the abdomen which is annoying when you're castrating them. Maybe that's what the pope's talking about?

I don't think the church views pulling out as OK. Basically, the church views procreation as the only purpose of sex, i.e. you should only have sex for the purpose of procreation. Meaning that it thinks contraception is a no no because if you use contraception you are having sex for sex's sake and not sex for procreation.

I don't think Francis should get to many points here. He's not saying contraception is A-OK in the eyes of the church now. He is just saying people should procreate responsibly, i.e. don't fuck like rabbits. Me and my girlfriend like to fuck like rabbits, but we use contraception all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom