• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis states that Catholics should stop breeding like rabbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman86

Banned
This is standard right wing abstinence only/personal responsibility bullshit. Support proven birth control methods you bastard. You are in a position of power and have major influence. Use it for good.

Good luck without also sanctioning birth control.

He's asking Catholics to be largely celibate. He's asking something that's impossible for the vast majority of people.

Its stupid cause the Church teaches all sorts of wrong dogma. Such as Mary died a virgin when its well documented that Jesus had a bunch of siblings so her and Joseph fucked a bunch. Plus no where in the Bible does it state that you can't use stuff like condoms and condoms existed all the way back in that time. Made of stuff like sheep intestines. The churches stance on not allowing birth control AFTER marriage is one of the more nonsensical of the many crazy stances it has. I mean it came up with all this shit before science explained the magic of sperm and eggs. How recent is this no birth control stance anyways. How many centuries? It cannot have been an original stance from the formation of the church.

Are you implying that "no birth control BEFORE marriage" wouldn't be nonsensical?

nukedawg

Banned
Is he cool again for OT GAF?

He never stopped.

Don't have as much sex...that's going to go down well.

tumblr_lpqq58DIlq1qmqeo2o1_500.jpg

This is standard right wing abstinence only/personal responsibility bullshit. Support proven birth control methods you bastard. You are in a position of power and have major influence. Use it for good.

yeah, it's the usual bullshit.

I hope this combo of bad news of the Pope finally make people understand reality, there is no good pope and there will never be one.

Ryuuroden

Good luck without also sanctioning birth control.

He's asking Catholics to be largely celibate. He's asking something that's impossible for the vast majority of people.

Are you implying that "no birth control BEFORE marriage" wouldn't be nonsensical?

No, I am just saying to me its even more nonsensical after. Before marriage you are not supposed to have sex anyways so its a non argument. After marriage, why should the church care. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

What I mean is if they were arguing against it before marriage I could see it as a twisted way of being anti sex b4 marriage because you could then end up with children and only one parent to support them. I could sort of see it as a twisted way of making there be consequences and yes I know I am putting way too much thought into it, lol.

"Fine, you can have sex before marriage but we will force you to have kids by taking away all preventative measures so you gonna regret that fucking!"

After marriage you are allowed to fuck your partner and since nowhere in the bible does it say anything against family planning through artificial means, whats the deal?

None of that will probably make any sense to you but its the way my mind works at times, trying to put alternate reasoning into things that really don't have any reasoning just to try to explain it to myself :p

This could be a new way for the Pope to promote marriage. "If you get married we will let you use condoms so you don't have too many kids that drain your finances"

:p

Its stupid cause the Church teaches all sorts of wrong dogma. Such as Mary died a virgin when its well documented that Jesus had a bunch of siblings so her and Joseph fucked a bunch. Plus no where in the Bible does it state that you can't use stuff like condoms and condoms existed all the way back in that time. Made of stuff like sheep intestines. The churches stance on not allowing birth control AFTER marriage is one of the more nonsensical of the many crazy stances it has. I mean it came up with all this shit before science explained the magic of sperm and eggs. How recent is this no birth control stance anyways. How many centuries? It cannot have been an original stance from the formation of the church.
Yes, it has been the original stance since the formation of the clergy. The Christian clergy has been anti-sex since its very inception. It's only since the 1900s that any denomination has been ok with contraceptives.

Also, in the old testament, God kills Onan for engaging in coitus interruptus. (Though it's a little more complicated than that. God killed Onan's brother and then commanded Onan to make children with his dead brother's wife. Onan didn't want to, so he pulled out every time he had sex with her. So God kills Onan. You could argue that's more about disobeying God's fucked up commands than contraception. Or as pro levirate marriage)

What, disobey your father?
^

potam

Banned
I knew a guy who had legitimate concerns about getting his wife pregnant every time they had sex, even to the point where people were suggesting he takes hot baths beforehand in order to try to kill some of the sperm.

I just don't get how some people can be so devout or absolute in their beliefs that a college-educated man in America can't come to terms with birth control.

Brakke

Banned
Birth control is aight for Catholics. We invited reconciliation for a reason you goofs.

Can't participate in the holy sacrament if you don't have anything to confess.

And here's the inevitable walk back...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/pope-francis-walks-back-remark-about-catholics-breeding-like-rabbits/

Wednesday, he seemed to pull back from that statement. Speaking of his recent trip to the Philippines, where he presided over the largest mass in history, he said "it gives consolation and hope to see so many numerous families who receive children as a real gift of God. They know that every child is a benediction."

He called "simplistic" the belief that large families were the cause of poverty, blaming it instead on an unjust economic system. "We can all say that the principal cause of poverty is an economic system that has removed the person from the center, and put the god of money there instead."

Mons. Anthony Figueiredo, a theologian and Director of the North American Pontifical College in Rome, said the two statements are not contradictory.

"When the Pope speaks on the plane, he is speaking as a pastor to ordinary people," said Figueiredo, who is a CBS News consultant. "When he comes back, he wants to speak as Pope."

Raist

Banned
But...

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom