• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF OT 14: The Alpha and The Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GP continues to have the worst fucking taste regarding everything.

Get that quick lil single I guess, Gags.

Yeah it reminded me of that time when the remix to Lana's Summertime Saddness was a hit and the OG version was paid dust. Disgusting injustice. Especially when her Young and Beautiful song was gaining traction the label dropped it for that disgusting remix

I'm not comparing Madonna to Gaga as artists. That IS tired. I'm comparing them as Pop Icons. In that sense, I could compare any chick in the game to Madonna for the sake of this argument. Madonna has a longevity that, at this point, seems only to be matched by Beyonce and Rihanna, and her adherence to her brand is a huge reason for it.

And I think Madonna is the better chameleon for one simple reason: in her prime she could switch genres and still top charts. Still command the industry. Madonna didn't just genre hop willy-nilly, her finger was ever on the pulse. Every reinvention calculated and married to her brand. Only Mariah's iconic switch from strictly Pop Chanteuse to Rapper's Girlfriend, and Rihanna's transformation from Island Gyal to Pop/R&B Bad Bitch comes as close.

But what good is Gaga's genre-hopping if every hop makes her more irrelevant? Might as well credit Jessica Simpson with doing the same then.

Well, like I've said, Madonna's transformations were used mainly to sell her pop music. They were calculated and smart, and she knew when to jump off one wagon and onto another. It's why she's a brilliant pop star. It's also why I don't find her to be a particularly interesting artist. You're making the point that Gaga's transformations aren't lucrative, and I agree. I don't see how you can go to the extremes that she has and still run the world. I just don't think she's playing the same game as the women you mentioned.

The Flop

Banned
The GP continues to have the worst fucking taste regarding everything.

Get that quick lil single I guess, Gags.

It's a bop though.

tumblr_ooklqg74YN1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

Camilia is still coming to save POP.

tumblr_ooklt2D7rx1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

rhandino

Banned
Camilla cant save anything because she is a prisoner of the pop machine that will use ha for a quick, little hit single and then discard her like a tampon that was inside the vagina for a little too much time.

Poor it.

s2cViZJ.gif

cory64

Well, like I've said, Madonna's transformations were used mainly to sell her pop music. They were calculated and smart, and she knew when to jump off one wagon and onto another. It's why she's a brilliant pop star. It's also why I don't find her to be a particularly interesting artist. You're making the point that Gaga's transformations aren't lucrative, and I agree. I don't see how you can go to the extremes that she has and still run the world. I just don't think she's playing the same game as the women you mentioned.

She isn't, because she's still not getting out ahead of the curve like Madonna and Rihanna and Beyoncé still are (M only 'lost it' when she was following trends on HC and MDNA instead of hopping on something right before it took off. She actually managed to do that on RH but the release was a mess unfort). Gaga's also not carving out any lane for herself, she's shotgunning it at this point. Just take a minute to sit down with the Beyoncé stan half of yourself and let him help you realize the truth.

You took some acid back in '99
You said it blew your mind
And it helped you write rhymes
So you bought a trilby and a cheap guitar
You thought you'd be a star
It didn't get you that far

I don't know your name
You're just another band with a different game
And you're all the same
You said you played at Reading
Then you chart at fifty-seven

You're off your face like you're number one
How many tracks have you sold?
Mmmmm, none
Walk 'round the place like you're number one
So why don't you write a tune
That we can hum?

Just 'cos your dad knew the Rolling Stones
You've got the Primrose set in your cell phone
Don't kid yourself, you're an indie clone
We've seen it before, get a sound of your own

You only follow Sinatra
'Cos you, you couldn't get into Rada
So let's try a little bit harder
'Cos you need more than jeans and a parka yeah yeah

Go IN girls!

tumblr_onfqwwfjUq1th0iaso1_500.gif

I need an updated 2017 version dragging the mediocrity of the cocksmokers, shitran etc.

Little Mons†er;234110863 said:
Yeah it reminded me of that time when the remix to Lana's Summertime Saddness was a hit and the OG version was paid dust. Disgusting injustice. Especially when her Young and Beautiful song was gaining traction the label dropped it for that disgusting remix
That remix is the only thing of hers that I enjoyed, probably because it had enough energy to keep me awake.

MANUELF

Banned
[Intro]
Gwen: C'mon, Johnny! When you're gonna get here?
Johnny: Alright, hold your pretty horses, I'll be there in a minute. You just get yourself dolled up, alright Tootsie? You pick a place, you just pick a place!
Gwen: Um, Johnny?
Johnny: Yeah, Gwennie-Gwen-Gwen?
Gwen: You might wanna hurry, because tonight is theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee night!

[Verse 1: Gwen Stefani]
I'm empty
I need fulfilling, yes I do love
A-to the ceiling when I do love
I get this feeling when I'm in love
I'm restless
Can't you see I try my bestest?
To be good girl, because it's just us
So take me now and do me justice
I'm waiting
A-patiently anticipating
Your arrival and I'm hating
It takes so long to get to my house
To take me out

[Hook: Gwen Stefani]
Tonight, I'm gonna give you all my love in the back seat
Bubble Pop Electric
Bubble Pop Electric
Gonna speed it down and slow it up in the backseat
Bubble Pop Electric
Uh-oh, in the backseat!

[Verse 2: Gwen Stefani]
Okay now
I understand he's on his way now
But jeez Louise, I mean today now
I can't wait, I wanna play now
I'm antsy
Bubble Pop Electric pansies
My sweet tooth, I want your candy
The Queen of Eng would say it's randy
I'm itchy
I wish you would come and scratch me
Tonight, I'm falling, won't you catch me?
Swoop on by so you can snatch me and take me out

[Hook: Gwen Stefani]
Tonight, I'm gonna give you all my love in the back seat
Bubble Pop Electric
Bubble Pop Electric
Gonna speed it down and slow it up in the backseat
Bubble Pop Electric
Uh-oh, in the backseat!

ef1Sxev.gif
Yessss
Stan for Queen Gwen

It'll be a hit. It's just too bad that her most basic-ass single release has more commercial promise than anything off her latest album. lol

OrionX

Hmm I think The Cure's kinda cute. I mean it's a bit generic, sure, but it sounds better than most of Joanne imo. And let's face it she peaked a long time ago, it's just unrealistic to expect her to keep getting better with each installment. They can't all be Persona 5, and that's okay.

S6AVQF5.gif

The Cure is seriously holding ground, Stay has been at 0.8 for like the past 36 hours.

What the fuck is happening?

Which dimension have we stepped into?

It'll be a hit. It's just too bad that her most basic-ass single release has more commercial promise than anything off her latest album. lol

Literally this

S6AVQF5.gif

The Cure is seriously holding ground, Stay has been at 0.8 for like the past 36 hours.

Not to mention that it is scaling the Spotify charts and has promising radio support already and is still #1 on iTunes WW...

The fad that keeps on giving, slé

S6AVQF5.gif

rhandino

Banned

I mean, you all wanted her to become Popga once again and she delivered~

S6AVQF5.gif

EDIT: Where is that gif with the guy screaming "We want POP!"

DOWN

Banned
If this is step one of a PopGa return, I welcome more singles to come as she aims for her hit making Days again
#JusticeForDWUW

#BuyDWUWoniTunes

Little Mons†er;234164133 said:
Patiently waiting for the music video to leak for a JUDAS sized controversy

03017e56-cd9e-47af-9d30-3f45c425c9a4.gif
For real, can't she leak that at this point? She already made it clear that it isn't what she wanted it to be, so release it and we won't hold it against her really... it is such a neat song

rulerk1

17 pages on that coachella thread and no one new is talking about Gaga. NEOGAF!

Speaking of the gags she tried it with the cure. Pls go back to Joanne

DOWN

Banned
I can't believe someone thought Selena Gomez singing about whiskey neat would not kill any authenticity the song may have seemed to have

Phreaker

I can't believe someone thought Selena Gomez singing about whiskey neat would not kill any authenticity the song may have seemed to have

HAHA, I like the song but thought the same thing, she drinks whisky neat?

Told y'all, get into her best song since DWUW
(well, Prefect Illusion is pretty great)

DOWN

Banned
Castle on the Hill is good Ed Sheeran. He is excellent at the sensitive optimist sound and pure mess when he goes the aggressive or cocky route like with Don't and with self-sexualizing hell Shape of You.

Honestly who allowed him to release Shape of You with those awful verses where he un-ironically sings in a higher octave to pretend he is saying what he imagines a turned on girl would say to him? Like who wanted to hear that creepiness?

rhandino

Banned
I really REALLY hate Shape of You

The moment I heard the Cheap Trills beat and then "And last night you were in my room;
And now my bedsheets smell like you
" almost made me recoil with disgust.

It's such a terrible song that I was not surprised the moment the GP decided to flock towards it instead of Castle of the Slay.

Shame.

llehuty

As a metter of fact, my roommate decided to put on the TV and I will quote him: "I'm sure you like this song". It was Ed Sheran's Shape of you. Never heard it before.

A complete rip off, what a waste of everyone's time.

Let me go back to my kpop bubble (and take all of you with me):

Laboum - Hwi Hwi
Bright cute pop. Some Carly Rae realness in that infectious chorus.

Minzy - Ninano (ft. Flowsik)
Ex 2NE1 member solo debut with some lowkey arabic/urban bop. It's lacking some oomph, but is already betterthan any of CLs solo efforts.

Loona/Vivi - Everyday I love you (ft. Haseul)
Cute 90s throwback. Simple and chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom