• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

UPDATE SPINS FOR DIAMONDS

16. Pop +188
14. Rhythmic +155
35. Hot Ac +11
46. Urban + 46

Look at Diamonds becoming a multi-format smash *.*

It could be bigger than What's My Name on radio *.*

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
screenshot2012-10-14ajdq7b.png

tumblr_maz8idedik1qaajne7i.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
UPDATE SPINS FOR DIAMONDS

16. Pop +188
14. Rhythmic +155
35. Hot Ac +11
46. Urban + 46

Look at Diamonds becoming a multi-format smash *.*

It could be bigger than What's My Name on radio *.*

Radio is TRULY in love with Rih.

And wasn't WMN one of the most played songs on radio EVER?

xxczx

That feeling that doesn't go away just did
And I walked a thousand miles to prove it
And I'm caught in the crossfire of my own thoughts
The color of my blood is all I see on the rocks
As you sail from me

ibm3w8j12G1jqy.gif

this song will make me FEEL everytime

Mau ®

This is the funniest shit:

Turns out "We Found Love" was recorded first by Leona Lewis. Now, a year after the fact, Leona is venting out her PRESSED FRUSTRATION over not committing with one of the biggest hits of the decade.

LEONA Lewis has admitted there was Trouble when Rihanna had a smash with We Found Love – because she had recorded it first.

The X Factor superstar was originally chosen to sing the Calvin Harris hit but ended up losing out to RiRi.

Although LeLe’s version has been relegated to the trash can she reckons it’s better than the Bajan babe’s.

Leona told me: “I worked with Calvin and we recorded We Found Love. But he went touring with Rihanna and she ended up releasing it.

“I didn’t commit to it because I wanted Trouble to be my first single so I think that was another reason they went with Rihanna. It was the same version and production but mine’s better.” (PRESSED kiiiii)

The track hit No.1 in 25 countries and is one of the biggest sellers of all time, shifting 6.5million copies. It spent three weeks at the top in the UK last year.

Leona, who will perform at this month’s Cosmopolitan Ultimate Women Awards, went on: “I still have the recording but I’d never leak it. That’s so unprofessional.

“There are so many songs I’ve recorded, only to hear other people singing them. It happens all the time.

“It was a bit annoying to see how big a hit it was around the world but if I’d released it maybe it wouldn’t have done as well.”
______

Radio is TRULY in love with Rih.

And wasn't WMN one of the most played songs on radio EVER?

11th most played song of all time. Tho the position could've changed with the massive multi-format success of Gotye's "Somebody that I used to know".

Nemesis_

OMG. Leona was the one who was originally?

Jesus. Imagine ;_;

I have no doubt it would be better though. She has a better voice.

I wonder if she is telling the truth though where it sounds like they just released it cos they toured together.

Mind you there's no savign her if she turned it down for Trouble.

Trigger

Halcyon was giving me LIFE last night while I listened to it.

ibm3w8j12G1jqy.gif

RE WFL: Leona should've chose that as a single. WFL > Trouble. Trouble is my least favorite song on Glassheart.

Mau ®

Part of the reason WFL was so massive was due to the video. Leona would've released a safe, basic video like all her videos.

Also she didnt commit to the song. If Rihanna and her team saw something in it that she didnt see then too bad for ha. Obviously Calvin wanted someone committed to the track.

ibxproXUiSPAMr.gif

This is the funniest shit:

Turns out "We Found Love" was recorded first by Leona Lewis. Now, a year after the fact, Leona is venting out her PRESSED FRUSTRATION over not committing with one of the biggest hits of the decade.
Yes, it's true. She recorded two songs with Calvin Harris - "We Found Love" and another one called "You Messed Up" (if Spirit and Echo are any indication, the US tracklisting for Glassheart will look a lot different than the UK one, so fingers crossed for the second track).

This isn't the first time she's passed up a song that blew up under another artist. All of Leona's lost potential hit singles:

Halo
Impossible
Got 2 Luv U
Until It Beats No More

I'm sure Rihanna's list is just as long, if not longer. As Leona said, it happens all the time and is a reality of any competitive industry.

And I've already said all I need to say about "Trouble" being the lead single to an album with at least five more chart-friendly tracks...

...But in the end, at least Glassheart is a strong, eclectic, and consistently absorbing collection of songs. There remains not a single Rihanus album that can even barely be characterized as such.

If my fave is at peace, then so am I...

iOeFs1w0dj89v.gif

Bladenic

Praying soneone leaks Leona's version. I may just be on a Glassheart high but I think her version could have been amazing.

Is it worth it to check out her albums? Leona?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
no time for singers that wait for the next lyric sheet to roll into their homes to record a new song

tumblr_mbvjbgYkAd1rwfz96o1_500.jpg

Yes since we found out
Since we found out
That anything could happen
Anything could happen
Anything could happen
Anything could happen
Anything could happen
Anything could happen
Anything could

I know it's gonna be
I know it's gonna be
I know it's gonna be
I know it's gonna be
I know it's gonna be
I know it's gonna be
I know it's gonna be
I know it's gonna be

But I don't think I need you

apparently she didn't even wait for a lyric sheet

Artemisia

Banned

That feeling that doesn't go away just did
And I walked a thousand miles to prove it
And I'm caught in the crossfire of my own thoughts
The color of my blood is all I see on the rocks
As you sail from me

Alarms will ring for eternity
The waves will break every chain on me
My bones will bleach
My flesh will flee
So help my lifeless frame to breathe

And God knows I'm not dying but I breathe now
And God knows it's the only way to heal now
With all the blood I lost with you
It drowns the love I thought I knew

And as the floods move in
And your body starts to sink
I was the last thing on your mind
I know you better than you think
'Cause it's simple darling, I gave you a warning
Now everything you own is falling from the sky in pieces
So watch them fall with you, in slow motion
I pray that you will find peace of mind
And I'll find you another time
I'll love you, another time

Clinging to me
Like a last breath you would breathe
You were like home to me
I don't recognize this street
Please don't close your eyes
Don't know where to look without them
Outside the cars speed by

I've never heard them until now
I know you care
I know it is always been there
But there is trouble ahead I can feel it
You were just saving yourself when you hide it
Yeah I know you care
I see it in the way you stare
As if there was trouble ahead and you knew it
I'll be saving myself from the ruin
And I know you care

you tried tho

121wqx1xeddh.gif

HAHA sis you sent me the link back on the day it leaked. I was also in the listening party, but by then I had already listened to it. I already said I love it.
iqDnO4TcTBR7r.gif

Definitely check out Echo, then. It's more ballad driven than Glassheart, but showcases Leona's amazing voice much more prominently.

Don't bother with Spirit - other than a few tracks ("Homeless" and "Take A Bow"), you've probably heard all the noteworthy songs.

----

EDIT: What exactly are you going about, Arte-simian? Ghoulish didn't write a single track from Halcyon by herself, yet you're acting like the entire album sprang forth from her misshapen head.

May I direct you to your seat? Thanks, and you tried.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I never thought I'd see the day when someone is complaining about lyric repetition in the chorus of a pop song. I am sure Flops Abound is guilty of this, even to a higher degree.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

Gods Aloud is probably the worst example you could have picked to try and drag over uninspired song structures

121wqx1xeddh.gif

Not that you'd know that

Artemisia

Banned
EDIT: What exactly are you going about, Arte-simian? Ghoulish didn't write a single track from Halcyon by herself, yet you're acting like the entire album sprang forth from her misshapen head.

May I direct you to your seat? Thanks, and you tried.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

Ellie cowrote every song on the album except Hanging On which was a cover. She also coproduced 7 of the tracks. That is far better than Leona's record on Glassheart, which has several tracks where she is nowhere to be found in the writing process, as well as ZERO tracks where she produced.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

It's ok though. I'm not expecting much creative input from someone who received their career on the beneficence of a reality TV show.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

Not that you'd know that

One day.

Nemesis_

While we're talking about lyrical masterpieces

Ooh Ooh
Ooh la la
Ooh Ooh
Ooh la la

You're like Brando on the silver screen
You're my hero in a mythical dream
You are perfect just the way that you are
You're Mike Jordan, you're my superstar

Oooh la la, you're my superstar
Oooh la la, love the way that you are
Oooh la la, that's what you are

I'm your biggest fan, it's true
Hopelessly attracted to you
You can have the keys to my car
I'll play you a song on my guitar

Oooh la la, love the way that you are
Oooh la la, that's what you are

Ooh Ooh
Ooh ooh la la
Ooh Ooh
Ooh ooh la la

You’re my gangster
You’re like Al Capone
You’re like Ceasar
Stepping onto the throne
You’re Abe Lincoln
Cuz you fight for what’s right
You’re my angel
Bringing peace to my life

Ooh la la, you’re my superstar
Ooh la la, love the way that you are
Ooh la la, that’s what you are

I’m your biggest fan, it’s true
You can have the password to my phone
I’ll give you a massage when you get home

You're Bruce Lee with the way that you move
You're Travolta getting into your groove
You're James Dean driving in your fast car
You're a hot track, you're my suppa duppa star

You're my superstar
You're my superstar (ooh la la, ooh la la)
You're my superstar (ooh la la, ooh ooh ooh ooh la la)

I’m your biggest fan, it’s true
You can have the keys to my car
I'll play you a song on my guitar

Ooh la la, ooh la la, ooh la la, you're my superstar
Ooh la la, ooh la la, ooh la la, you're my supersuperstar

wVBbT.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Do you think if I built a time machine and went back in time and played Superstar to Like A Prayer-era Madge I could avert this dystopian career future?

Ellie cowrote every song on the album except Hanging On which was a cover. She also coproduced 7 of the tracks. That is far better than Leona's record on Glassheart, which has several tracks where she is nowhere to be found in the writing process, as well as ZERO tracks where she produced.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

It's ok though. I'm not expecting much creative input from someone who received their career on the beneficence of a reality TV show.

121wqx1xeddh.gif
Leona's voice would add more production quality to the ALPHABET SONG than the sum of all the magical engineering machinations Ghoulish employs to make her chipmunk squeals somewhat listenable.

But I guess since you can't defend your fave's singing, I should focus on her ability to co-write and co-produce.

Maybe she should co-sing too. At least then maybe one aspect of her albums would approximate something approaching "decent".

121wqx1xeddh.gif

Bladenic

Speaking of writing, how does the process work when there are so many credited writers? I saw for Glassheart some songs have 3-4 credited writers, or more. Is any person who looks at the lyrics and gives suggestions credited? Do all of the credited writers get together in a room and write a song or look over it? Or one person may write the song, then show it to others and they may have changes, etc.?

Or all of the above?

Trigger

Speaking of writing, how does the process work when there are so many credited writers? I saw for Glassheart some songs have 3-4 credited writers, or more. Is any person who looks at the lyrics and gives suggestions credited? Do all of the credited writers get together in a room and write a song or look over it? Or one person may write the song, then show it to others and they may have changes, etc.?

Or all of the above?

The bold. It changes from artist to artist though. Some like Xtina have writers camps where they all discuss and write the music. Others just write on the road or at home and consult the producers they work on.

Here's a video of a BMI songwriting camp.

Artemisia

Banned
Leona's voice would add more production quality to the ALPHABET SONG than the sum of all the magical engineering machinations Ghoulish employs to make her chipmunk squeals somewhat listenable.

That's just plain untrue. At the end of the day, Leona is just a voice that needs to be complemented by prominent writers and producers in order to yield any acceptable result. That's a problem most reality show winners face.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

That's just plain untrue. At the end of the day, Leona is just a voice that needs to be complemented by prominent writers and producers in order to yield any acceptable result. That's a problem most reality show winners face.

121wqx1xeddh.gif
Then I guess Mariah and Whitney are "just a voice" as well. And I guess all of history's incredible opera singers are "just a voice" too.

Guess what Artemehsia? A voice is an INSTRUMENT. Leona is just as much a musician as Ghoulish, and certainly more talented on balance (she sings with an unquestioned virtuoso ability and plays piano and guitar to boot).

You can say all you want that Leona adds nothing to the tracks she co-writes or is given, but first ask yourself why big names like Calvin Harris, Darkchild, Ryan Tedder, etc. continue to approach her years after the height of her relevance. It's because her voice adds more to a track than can be measured by a credits listing alone, and the music industry's top producers recognize that.

Not sure why you don't.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

Artemisia

Banned
GURLS THE GRAMMY SUBMISSION LIST IS OUT (some of it). Time to get mad at our aves for not submitting themselves for something they had a chance at getting nominated for.

ADELE
Song of the Year/Record of the Year/Best Pop Solo: Set Fire To The Rain (LIVE)

FUN
Album of the Year
Best New Artist
Record of the Year/Song of the Year/Best Pop Duo: We Are Young

FRANK OCEAN
Album of the Year
Best New Artist
Best Urban Contemporary Album
Record of the Year/Song of the Year/Best R&B Song/Best R&B Perf: Thinking 'Bout You

MADONNA
Album of the Year
Pop Album
Record of the Year/Song of the Year/Best Pop Solo: Girl Gone Wild

ELLIE GOULDING
Best New Artist
Record of the Year/Song of the Year/Best Pop Solo: Anything Could Happen

GOTYE
Album of the Year
Record of the Year/Best Pop Duo: Somebody That I Used To Know
Alternative Album

FLORENCE + THE MACHINE
Album of the Year
Record of the Year/Song of the Year/Best Pop Duo: Shake It Out
Song for Visual Media: Breath of Life
Pop Album

RIHANNA
Pop Solo: Where Have You Been
Pop Album

TAYLOR SWIFT
Song of the Year/Record of the Year/Best Pop Solo: We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
Country Solo/Country Song: Ours
Country Duo Group/Song for Visual Media: Safe and Sound

MUMFORD AND SONS
Album of the Year
Record of the Year/Song of the Year/Rock Song/Rock Perf: I Will Wait

CARRIE UNDERWOOD (a.k.a Worst Submission Ever)
Record of the Year/Song of the Year/Best Country Solo/Country Song/Short-Form Video: Blown Away and Good Girl
Album of the Year
Country Album

LANA DEL REY
Album of the Year
Best New Artist
Pop Album
Record of the Year/Song of the Year/Pop Solo: Video Games

DRAKE
Song of the Year/Record of the Year: Take Care
Album of the Year
Rap Album
Rap Perf: H.Y.F.R
Rap Sung/Collaboration: Crew Love

LIONEL RICHIE
Album of the Year
Country Album
Record of the Year/Country Duo Group: Easy (ft/ Willie Nelson)

CARLY RAE JEPSEN
Best New Artist
Song of the Year/Record of the Year/Best Pop Solo: Call Me Maybe
Song of the Year/Record of the Year/Best Pop Duo Group: Good Time (with Owl City)

ONE DIRECTION
Album of the Year
Pop Album
Best New Artist
Song of the Year/Record of the Year/Pop Duo Group: What Makes You Beautiful

P!NK
Album of the Year
Pop Album
Song of the Year/Record of the Year/Best Pop Solo/Short-Form Video: Blow Me (One Last Kiss)

DEMI LOVATO
Best Pop Solo: Give Your Heart A Break

KELLY CLARKSON
Album of the Year
Pop Album
Song of the Year/Record of the Year/Pop Solo: Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)

BRANDY
Best R&B Song/R&B Performance: Put It Down (with Chris Brown)

BLAKE SHELTON
Country Solo: Drink On It

MIRANDA LAMBERT
Album of the Year
Country Album
Record of the Year/Song of the Year/Country Song/Country Solo: Over You

ALICIA KEYS
Song of the Year/Record of the Year/R&B Song/R&B Perf: Girl On Fire (with Nicki Minaj)

MILEY CYRUS (shocker)
Country Solo: You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go

JUSTIN BIEBER
Album of the Year
Pop Album
Pop Solo/Song of the Year/Record of the Year: Boyfriend
Pop Duo Group/Song of the Year/Record of the Year: As Long As You Love Me (with Big Sean)
Pop Duo Group: Beauty and a Beat (with Nicki Minaj)

USHER
Album of the Year
Urban Contemporary Album
Pop Solo/Record of the Year: Scream
Song of the Year/Record of the Year/R&B Song/R&B Perf: Climax

JASON MRAZ
Album of the Year
Pop Album
Song of the Year/Record of the Year/Pop Solo: I Won't Give Up
Pop Duo: Distance (with Christina Perri)

CHRISTINA PERRI
Song of the Year/Record of the Year/Pop Solo/Song for Visual Media: A Thousand Years
Pop Duo: Distance (with Jason Mraz)

ADAM LAMBERT
Album of the Year
Pop Album
Song of the Year/Record of the Year/Pop Solo: Better Than I Knew Myself

NORAH JONES
Album of the Year
Pop Album
Song of the Year/Record of the Year/Pop Solo: Happy Pills

Ceremonials better not get paid dust.

Then I guess Mariah and Whitney are "just a voice" as well. And I guess all of history's incredible opera singers are "just a voice" too.

Guess what Artemehsia? A voice is an INSTRUMENT. Leona is just as much a musician as Ghoulish, and certainly more talented on balance (she sings with an unquestioned virtuoso ability and plays piano and guitar to boot).

You can say all you want that Leona adds nothing to the tracks she co-writes or is given, but first ask yourself why big names like Calvin Harris, Darkchild, Ryan Tedder, etc. continue to approach her years after the height of her relevance. It's because her voice adds more to a track than can be measured by a credits listing alone, and the music industry's top producers recognize that.

Not sure why you don't.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

So she's just an instrument to be used by big name producers. I see.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

I agree

Nemesis_

Beauty and the Beat is such a jam.

Max Martin still brings it after all these years and ZEDD is a brilliant up and comer *.*

So she's just an instrument to be used by big name producers. I see.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

I agree
Ok, now you're just being daft.

If you want to discredit every single artist who doesn't produce every single track they write (and we can debate what entails "producing" a track, especially since your fave didn't produce a single one by herself), then why are you even in this thread? Perhaps the heaux over at self-righteous Indy-Rock GAF would love to have you.

People have different talents, and creating music is a collaborative process - yes, even for your chipmunk fave.

Not here for willful inanity.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Ok, now you're just being daft.

If you want to discredit every single artist who doesn't produce every single track they write (and we can debate what entails "producing" a track, especially since your fave didn't produce a single one by herself), then why are you even in this thread? Perhaps the heaux over at self-righteous Indy-Rock GAF would love to have you.

People have different talents, and creating music is a collaborative process - yes, even for your chipmunk fave.

Not here for willful inanity.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

girl did you read the spoiler? of course I know what I'm saying is pants on head insane.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom