• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis_

MADONNA submitted for BEST ALBUM.

bJNDj.gif

Leona-Lewis-Glassheart-Cover.jpg

Just finished listening through Glassheart (Deluxe Edition) courtesy of Leona. Thanks for the PM, doll :) I wrote this as I was listening to the album, coz I wanted my opinion to be as organic as possible. I don't follow Leona Lewis so I have no idea what songs are singles and what aren't, so that put every track in the same field. Here's my track-by-track impressions:

1) Trouble - The song borrows a variety of chord progressions from other songs, and I could fish out every one on my first listen. It definitely could have worked as a trance record if it wasn't for the more pop-ballad production, and the fact that it never really went anywhere explosive toward the end made me want it to work as a trance record even more. A solid start though. This one's definitely a grower. 4/5

2) Un Love Me - The verses to this song echo the faux-falsetto of Trouble, but the hook is a lot more transparent which is nice. By the time the chorus rolls in I didn't expect it to take such a repetitive turn but strangely it's exactly what I needed to hear. The end of the chorus with the "Un Love me" hook is obviously the highlight of the song. I don't think the chord progressions are that memorable but her vocal starts to really shine here. 3/5

3) Love Bird - I much prefer Leona's voice when it's in the middle register coz that's where her power comes through, so this song really works for me. This is a pretty straight-foward power ballad but the way the chorus rolls in is so euphoric. This is exactly the kind of song I would have expected to be on a Leona Lewis album; it's pretty standard but it's her vocal that truly sells it. 3.5/5

4) Come Alive - Oooo, lower register? Yes please. Doesn't quite have the polish of her middle but I'll take it. Right as the "put it on me" lyric rolls in I'm thinking the song is about to take an unexpected turn, and the chorus rushes in with sheer power. This one's also a grower. Overall it doesn't quite click with me the first time but I'll revisit it, especially for that energetic finish. 3/5

5) Fireflies - It starts out so guarded and stalled, which I love. She's again doing a falsetto finisher with every lyric, which I know is her style but I've never liked it. A lot more instrumental in this that than I was prepared for, but it's very soothing. That hook is irresistible though ("fiiirree"), and her powerful vocals layered over it in the last fourth of the song really makes this. Overall the song is a bit short-lived; the song jumps from heavy instrumental to short verses to a BIG finish. So far the biggest presence on the album. 5/5

6) I To You - What a sinister instrumental; a great build-up. The chorus is absolutely gorgeous, and the production keeps adding and subtracting backing sounds that keeps the heart of the song pumping. I don't care for the Mariah-like notes toward the last fourth of the song, but that's my own personal vendetta, lol. Another highlight of the album for sure. 4/5

7) Shake You Up - Seems to be a bit more tongue-in-cheek than the overall moody tone of the first 6 songs, but it's still hardly a happy song. I can already tell this is a grower but it's really not hitting me so far. I love the title name hook of course. The chorus reminds me of an 80s rock or pop song though, I can't place it though. Overall this sorta comes and goes, but I'll keep it queued up for future listens coz there's something there. 3/5

8) Stop The Clocks - At this point a lot of the verses for these songs are starting to muddle together; the subject matter's overall a bit similar and given her pretty rigid vocal style I have a feeling I'm gonna have a lot of trouble recalling this one. It has a lot of notable moments; the instrumental riffs in the second verse for example. It reminds me of debut-era Britney Spears; it's a cute slice of pop that's just not what I look for. The other trend I notice with these songs is how the last fourth of a song can make or break it. She really sells every song with a powerful vocal layer toward the end, but by track 8 it's already a bit too familiar. 2.5/5

9) Favorite Scar - This one's definitely more special than the last few tracks. When the chorus rolled in I was like "yessssssssss," this is what I need to hear. Such an airy tone to the chorus, mixed in with a probably-not-intended allusion to Britney's "Circus," makes this a feel-good for sure. This is the first presence of some synthesized Leona vocals, but it's definitely welcome here. Yes the chord progression is repetitive, but isn't that why we listen to pop? We want a chord to be hammered down into our souls so hard that it's stamped in our minds for weeks and months. Great track. 5/5

10) When It Hurts - Gorgeous riff in this chorus. Probably in the top 2 or 3 choruses so far I've heard on the album. The production is also very memorable. The song moves along with the right kind of momentum and it's an attractive song all the way through. That's the best way I can describe it. It's just an attractive song. It has my attention for sure for the next few (many?) listens. By the time it ends I'm thinking "that's it?" and at the same time "that was so good." 4.5/5

11) Glassheart - I wasn't prepared for this kind of flaw-free pop. The verses are notably demure, the chorus is so guarded and emoted, and then that unexpected dub-step break? An incredible production too. I love hearing women show a little power and psycho deliberation (which is why I love Lady Gaga's vocal style so much), and this is the first I see Leona let her ass hang out a little. By FAR the best song on this album so far. Can't even handle it. I listened to it three more times before moving on. 5/5

12) Fingerprint - After Glassheart got my (glass)heart pumping, I wasn't prepared for such a passive and held-back vocal like this. Part of me doesn't want to listen and go back to Glassheart again, but no Jason, focus. You're writing impressions here. I have a hard time relating to her hard emoting for some reason; she emotes so well but I'm not necessarily attached to it. I gotta commend her vocals here though, she's definitely one of the best voices in pop today. Big ballads like this are probably only appreciated by me for future listens when I can memorize and then sing the song in my car. Overall I'm ready for what's next. 2.5/5

13) Colorblind - Another pulled-back presentation in the song, and the "I Am Ready" hook is almost enchanting. I can see what she's going for with this song, and the slow Disney-esque buildup with the instrumental is also something that I might go back to a few more times to full appreciate. Overall a very pretty song but it lacks a strong presence like so many other songs on Glassheart. 3/5

14) Sugar - My first impression was that I hate the chord progression of the verses. Her vocals are out of this world in the chorus though, wow. This might actually be her biggest vocal on this album. When the beat kicks in the second verse my attention is re-appropriated. There it is. The chord progressions of the verses work better with that beat layered over it. The song really picks up with that beat and suddenly it becomes a rush of sound. I love when songs change my mind like this by forcing down a beat. Didn't expect this to be as great a finisher as it was. 4.5/5

So yeah, this is a very, very good album. This was my first real introduction to Leona Lewis and I'm definitely a fan now. She of course has a golden voice but more importantly she knows how to use it. The real highlights of the album to me were when she switched up tones mid-song, the way she juggles demure and headstrong in Glassheart and Sugar, or airiness and power like in Fireflies... those moments I appreciate so much more than something that sort of just sits in one mode all the way through. Many songs need that static-ness to hammer in an atmosphere though, like Favorite Scar or Trouble. The low points of the album are just those that stick to a similar subject matter and don't make an effort to stand on their own, like Come Alive or Stop The Clocks. My opinions tend to change very easily upon multiple listens, and that's when I can start to appreciate more passive songs like that. I remember listening to 4 and going from not giving two shits about "I Miss You" to getting emotional now whenever I hear it. And to be frank, there are no BAD songs on this album. Every song has a sensible mix of good production, intelligent lyrics, and an impressive vocal.

Glassheart's a consistent, polished record, and its highs are full-on transcendent. Its lows, impressively enough, are not that low.

My top 5:

1) Glassheart
2) Fireflies
3) Favorite Scar
4) Sugar
5) When It Hurts

I agree with Soulscribe, except that I'd rank "When It Hurts" a 3/5 and "Come Alive" a 4.5/5 (that insane build-up, icant).

Also, Leona released a (much superior) acoustic version of "Colorblind" last week for free on Amazon. Not sure why she didn't include it on the album.

---

My Halcyon review is coming shortly. As hard as it might be to believe, I can be pretty objective about my fave's competitors :p

Bladenic

Best New Artist for the Grammys is more like Best Artist To Have Newfound Success Even Though They Might Have Been Around For Years.

Artemisia

Banned
There is a reason the land of superior music taste and artists (the UK) paid Lights dust and brought Anything Could Happen to number 5.

Bladenic

I'm not shading. Lights shits on most pop girls' entire discographies, but ACH is just so much better.

I know, it's your opinion. I see I'm the minority here, but I just prefer Lights over anything else from her. Though I need more time with Halcyon to see if anything begins standing out to me.

I don't think there's any way Frank Ocean isn't winning Best New Artist.
And I will kiiiii every single time the XtinaBNA.gif is used from there on out

xxczx

I truly cannot at the so called Ellie stans shading Lights. Disgusting.
I like Lights but I don't think it's her greatest song (hello, it's obvs Human).
My opinion on Lights would've probably changed if it got big in the UK when it released and was playing on the radio/in stores all the time.

But, you know, we English know it wasn't that good at the time and still know it's not that good.
RjM6l.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom