• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#popMAFIA | So don’t let this be our final song

acohrs

MVP - CCS

Only person that could make such a claim about being 100% sure of someone in the dodgiest way possible and still not be lynched!

cabot

cab, you need to give your MVPs. I am especially interested in who got Best Neutral - tight competition there.

Bronx gets the 'Crab Cockblocker' award. Don't let him be your wingman at parties. The two times he jailed, he stopped Crab from getting results the poor fella.

I was mighty impressed with combine for choosing the most normal Cannibal Corpse lyrics ever though. That took serious skill.

I'd give Town MVP to Ty for reviving the game, though I laughed when he went down mostly the wrong paths. Have you considered going for the opposite of your reads, Ty?

I think acohrs is Scum MVP. Sawneeks did really well as expected, but acohrs as a nub came in, was very active and fooled some experienced players into thinking he was Town. He also had supreme gif usage, which I will always cherish.

I was sort of hoping you'd just kick Town's arse into gear but unfortunately it never happened, and you died before you got a real result. Ah well, you can't rely on a single person to galvanise, there needed to be more proactiveness from others.

I feel good about the new guys, I look forward to leading an incorrect lynch train on them in future games.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, analysing my own play, looking back, I needed to be a shit ton more aggressive, I think. I was overly worried that after HP, if I tried leading, people would suspect me as scum and waste a lot of time on it - that sort of happened with Ty4on this game even though I took a more laid-back role. So I was sort of a bit non-committal about really trying to drive town forward and was hoping someone else would take that role so I could slot into the picture in a more measured way. I think if I'd really taken the initiative, I could have gotten Burbeting lynched instead of Flame_AC, which at that juncture could have blown the game right open, but I was just too content to be passive. I actually didn't listen to my own advice - I was telling Ty4on the importance of not second-guessing oneself as town and then made myself play worse by second-guessing myself. Hoisted on my own petard... (as a side note for future games though, I probably will just play very aggressive regardless of my alignment :p).

I also think I should have gotten Sawneeks much earlier - pretty much as soon as Kalor flipped - but I felt that Sawneeks and Burbeting were playing very similarly and moving very similarly and would probably move separately if they were scum. But in the context of that game, they didn't need to - town weren't going to call this out, and by working in tandem they herded town pretty expertly without the sort of attention that would normally bring. So it took me an extra day which I shouldn't have needed if I'd been considering the tempo of the game. It definitely wasn't one of my best games. I've not actually played any mafia really since HP so there was a lot of rust and it really showed.

Also, I need to go back and reread acohrs carefully. I thought the final scum was one of CCS/acohrs, but I couldn't quite get who it was, so well done acohrs!

acohrs

Yeah, analysing my own play, looking back, I needed to be a shit ton more aggressive, I think. I was overly worried that after HP, if I tried leading, people would suspect me as scum and waste a lot of time on it - that sort of happened with Ty4on this game even though I took a more laid-back role. So I was sort of a bit non-committal about really trying to drive town forward and was hoping someone else would take that role so I could slot into the picture in a more measured way. I think if I'd really taken the initiative, I could have gotten Burbeting lynched instead of Flame_AC, which at that juncture could have blown the game right open, but I was just too content to be passive. I actually didn't listen to my own advice - I was telling Ty4on the importance of not second-guessing oneself as town and then made myself play worse by second-guessing myself. Hoisted on my own petard... (as a side note for future games though, I probably will just play very aggressive regardless of my alignment :p).

I also think I should have gotten Sawneeks much earlier - pretty much as soon as Kalor flipped - but I felt that Sawneeks and Burbeting were playing very similarly and moving very similarly and would probably move separately if they were scum. But in the context of that game, they didn't need to - town weren't going to call this out, and by working in tandem they herded town pretty expertly without the sort of attention that would normally bring. So it took me an extra day which I shouldn't have needed if I'd been considering the tempo of the game. It definitely wasn't one of my best games. I've not actually played any mafia really since HP so there was a lot of rust and it really showed.

Also, I need to go back and reread acohrs carefully. I thought the final scum was one of CCS/acohrs, but I couldn't quite get who it was, so well done acohrs!

I think I dropped a few hints, the most obvious being the one right at the end about splinter being proven townie. Also, the swiftness that I went on about Coppa being poisoned could have backfired, but nobody seemed to take me up on that

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think I dropped a few hints, the most obvious being the one right at the end about splinter being proven townie. Also, the swiftness that I went on about Coppa being poisoned could have backfired, but nobody seemed to take me up on that

I was dead by the first one. :p Although in fairness, I did continue watching the game, albeit less closely, and I didn't really pick up on it.

acohrs

Scum mvp: Sawneeks, really reassuring and experience helped get through some periods of uncertainty. Would have been much harder without someone with such a cool and experienced head!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sawneeks said:
Two alternatives: Crab and Haly. Don't ask me 'why Haly', the idea just struck me as I was typing and my gut says it's a good idea for some reason and I like to trust my gut on these things. Crab is also a good pick: Town Read and can be the Town Leader. However, I think he has the highest likelihood of having a Doctor on him tonight and we have no idea if Poison works through a Doctor's protection.
giphy.gif

Sawneeks

Banned

....I don't know.

Probably whatever got Combine AND LoC to also target you. I just remember typing that out and thinking 'yeah, haly seems like a good choice too'. You were kinda quiet and were just sort of 'there' but....I'm not totally sure why...

Ty4on

I'm not the best in expressing my intent :p
Obviously these aren't my raw thoughts from back then, but I'll try to explain best to my memory why I read you like I did.

Before entering this game I had briefly looked at it and didn't like Crab's posts. They look like something a competent scum likes to make because they look so big and townie and you don't have to interact with anyone. I've always tried and felt most comfortable reading intent and emotions, but those posts leave me with nothing. It's also bad memories because in most games with a good scum fooling the rest of town they were often making a lot of big posts.

My first thought entering this game was that some of the active and trusted players were scum, especially since so many where still alive and town was doing so poorly. I know myself I struggle to be engaged so that was kinda the first thing I started reading. That's where the early town read of Sawneeks came from. I read her frustration with the activity as genuine and felt like she tried to get something out of the game. Of course I thought about Pokemon at this point. Sawneeks is really hard for me to properly read because she's very good at seeming genuinely vested in the game and keeping that persona up. I had her outburst in PiR as an argument for why this wasn't town!Sawneeks, but ofc in the back of my head was always "what if that was just a fluke that just didn't happened in this game".

I already had the seed planted that you were scum from gut feelings and reading through your posts you were never very active - not much is happening so scum doesn't have a reason to post - and the read I got was that you were in a way "above" the discussion. You looked good in comparison to the inactivity, but you didn't seem very bothered by the inactivity. I read that as a scum who was quite happy that town was so inactive, much more focused on their appearance than town engaging and arrogant because scum were playing so much better. The early vote on Quantum made you look more townie, but it never struck me as something scum couldn't do, especially experienced scum. I guess the towniest thing was that you focused on the "slip", the flip made it clear that wasn't a slip and it's something town will latch onto while scum awkwardly ignore it because they know it's wrong.

Then after Coppa and Haly died my read got reset and I pretty much town read you from your reaction to the poison and frustration with your own play.

------------------------
When it comes to second-guessing that's like a perpetual issue with Mafia games. It hurts when it takes you off the right path, but it can also help stop you from making a mistake.

Great game guys! I played primarily through mobile-GAF, so it was quite difficult to follow the timeline of events. But after Sawneeks manifesto against me, I knew she was scum. And CCS just going all in on Sawneeks made me super suspicious. I'm going to have to review each day and post more thoughts later. I must say achors played scum extremely well. I was hoping I'd have made a better case against Sawneeks, but realized that we probably would have lost the next day and I wouldn't have had any idea who to suspect as scum next. This was my first time playing online and it was quite the learning experience! Thanks for having me!

Ty4on

Great game guys! I played primarily through mobile-GAF, so it was quite difficult to follow the timeline of events. But after Sawneeks manifesto against me, I knew she was scum. And CCS just going all in on Sawneeks made me super suspicious. I'm going to have to review each day and post more thoughts later. I must say achors played scum extremely well. I was hoping I'd have made a better case against Sawneeks, but realized that we probably would have lost the next day and I wouldn't have had any idea who to suspect as scum next. This was my first time playing online and it was quite the learning experience! Thanks for having me!
Sorry for tunneling so hard on you >_>
You didn't play poorly, I just read too much into the cautious playstyle being new scum.

This was a fairly slow game and one where scum dominated a lot of the discussion so I think you'll get better at keeping up in future games when you get the hang of things.
Playstyle in mafia games is very subjective and you'll probably find your own in future games, but I recommend taking the temperature and feeling what town is really thinking. Especially as an analytical player. It's often easy to think if you just study the game hard enough scum and town will reveal themselves, but sometimes you have to force that yourself by interacting.

If you are, don't be afraid of making a bad post. I may spam a bit too much, but if you're short on time there's nothing wrong with a quick follow up question or a random thought/read.
It also helps to repeat your case if people aren't taking noticed.

Sawneeks

Banned
Oh, and thank you LP for the wonderful flavor as always! <3

Glad you had a great time! You gave Burb and I a bit of a scare on Day 1 when you connected both of us and were able to deduce we were Scum fairly early. Unfortunately nobody really paid much attention to it but you were completely right. c:

*Splinter

gg all, sorry for not contributing as much as usual I was a bit busy this time around.

I also forgot all my reads within a day of joining and was basically playing blind after that.

cabot

Great game guys! I played primarily through mobile-GAF, so it was quite difficult to follow the timeline of events.

I would recommend going through the thread on a desktop or such once a day to digest thoughts and stuff, I always find it more natural to follow threads and discussion. Mobile is for quick responses for me.

*Splinter

Town, please

giphy.gif
Drunk me was hoping for a counterclaim, so that I would know the person who counterclaimed is almost definitely town.

Sober me later pointed out that Beyonce could be a scum fake claim as easily as a town role.

I should have known Lord of Castamere had pre-emptively ruined this fabulous play.

Ty4on

I would recommend going through the thread on a desktop or such once a day to digest thoughts and stuff, I always find it more natural to follow threads and discussion. Mobile is for quick responses for me.
It's easy to get tunnel vision on mobile.

On desktop a 1000 post thread suddenly feels quite small and manageable.
Drunk me was hoping for a counterclaim, so that I would know the person who counterclaimed is almost definitely town.

Sober me later pointed out that Beyonce could be a scum fake claim as easily as a town role.

I should have known Lord of Castamere had pre-emptively ruined this fabulous play.
I approve. Nothing townier than claiming someone else's role.

Oh, and thank you LP for the wonderful flavor as always! <3

Glad you had a great time! You gave Burb and I a bit of a scare on Day 1 when you connected both of us and were able to deduce we were Scum fairly early. Unfortunately nobody really paid much attention to it but you were completely right. c:

Burb was quick to claim my initial vote on day 1 OMGUS and come to your defense, which was quite peculiar…lol. I TOLD YALL I WAS NOT SCUM.

giphy_s.gif

A taxi pulls up to a non-descript building. cabot steps out. "Keep the change," he tells the driver. He walks to the entrance and swipes his ID card at the door. Nothing happens.

Casting a quick glance around, cabot grabs the door handle and pulls hard. The door resists at first, but eventually yields to his prodigious strength.

cabot makes his way through the quiet, abandoned building. Despite a fine layer of dust over the furniture, everything looks neat and orderly. Instead of a mass panicked evacuation, it looks like the building's occupants just all got up and left one day.

cabot stops at a door labelled "Newsroom". He looks at the card scanner for a moment but just pulls the handle instead. The door opens slowly, its creaking groans echoing throughout the building.

The newsroom is pitch black. Pulling out his phone, cabot turns on the flashlight and makes his way around the cameras and equipment towards the newsdesk. He holds his breath, not knowing what awaits him.

Rounding the corner, he shines his phone on the newsdesk and sees... nothing. The desk is there, silent and unmoving. Nothing is out of place except the chair, which starts turning towards him.

"Hey cabot," says LP. "Do you mind shining that light elsewhere? It's kind of bright."

"Oh yeah, sorry," mutters cabot, trying to hide his surprise. LP definitely did not look like a feral zombie survivor who had refused to leave after the network had shut down. That's the last time I listen to Darlene, he thinks.

"What are you doing here?" asks LP.

"I heard... uh... what are you doing here?" stammers cabot.

LP holds up a singular white glove. "Was looking for this," he says amicably.

cabot is baffled, wondering if LP had finally lost it. He knew the anchor job meant a lot to him, and the network's demise might have been enough to send him over the edge. He holds up a folder and tries to smile. "I have good news," he says.

"Yes I heard," says LP. "The exclusive Miley Cyrus wedding photos, right? They were sold for a fortune and it helped to save the network."

"Not exactly," says cabot. "You see, our parent company had the funds to restart PNN, but, well, the industry has changed.

"Remember Bruno Mars? His latest single "Downtown Funk" bombed."

"What did he expect when he just played "Uptown Funk" in reverse?"

"And Kate Bush got tired of the comparisons to a certain US President and went into hiding."

"But she doesn't look anything like Trump!"

"Carly Rae Jepsen went underground indie because no one bought her last album, thus it couldn't be called popular music anymore."

"Is that even possible?"

"Madonna and her fans got too old. Kissing Carly Rae at the VMA's did nothing for both of them."

"Should've used tongue."

"Yeah... anyway the most popular music now is punk and hip-hop."

"What a disaster," lamented LP. "Any good news?"

"Well, we can keep our jobs. We'd just have to rebrand a bit. We can even keep the network name."

"And the 'P' would stand for..."

"Presidential. We did such a good job with Inauguration that the President personally wants us to cover his government. You in?"

LP is silent, then gets up and walks towards the exit.

"Yeah, good idea, sleep on it and let me know," calls out cabot.

LP turns back. "We'll see. I'm going home to play Breath of the Wild."

cabot is shocked. "Did you really just plug your next Mafia game?"

LP looks at the fourth wall. "Sure did. Sign up in January."

FIN

Ty4on

Sorry everybody :(
Don't feel bad about that, I know of so many great players in this community who struggled to adjust in their first game.

Inactivity is never caused by one player, it's always a combination of factors and feeds on itself. In an active game a rising tide lifts all boats.

I hope to see you in future games so we can play together.

cabot

I will say Ty had the full day phase to notice, and I gave him the same info I gave Not.

AKA I feel like acohrs is wrong.

It was partly the way coppa claimed and Ty just missing it.

acohrs

Wasn't meant to be a dig at anyone, just felt like a more experienced player would have noticed that sign better than someone with less experience. Not, this was your first game right?

Ty4on

Wasn't meant to be a dig at anyone, just felt like a more experienced player would have noticed that sign better than someone with less experience. Not, this was your first game right?
I missed it, not Not. It was a night action so Not didn't have the chance to submit anything.

Not

Banned

Yeah. I guess it was an unusually slow game at first so I maybe that's why I didn't have a lot to add, plus I didn't really know what to do or what to look for. Then my thing came up, and them's the breaks. Glad Ty4on brought some much-needed life in (I'm not being sarcastic).

Damn. I just realized I edited again. Sigh. Glad the game's over.

Yeah. I guess it was an unusually slow game at first so I maybe that's why I didn't have a lot to add, plus I didn't really know what to do or what to look for. Then my thing came up, and them's the breaks. Glad Ty4on brought some much-needed life in (I'm not being sarcastic).

Damn. I just realized I edited again. Sigh. Glad the game's over.

XD i was like this too when i play

i editted something and then i was like uh oh i edited >__< then i realised the game was over and i was phewww

Top Bottom