• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Popular FGC streamer MAXIMILIAN accidentally says n*gger on stream; asses are shown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ran rp

I am so very offended.

Jesus, would people just learn to stop being so oversensitive about everything.

Man says bad word = who cares.

image.php

I think Max and his apology seems legit about it all, but now he's got eggshell soles for the rest of his internet life. This thread has exposed some of the real worst people on the internet and this forum, though...the 'who cares/stop being offended' crowd who tries to steer everything their way.

wuth

I am so very offended.

http://www.beyondthepage.info/sites/www.beyondthepage.info/files/pictures/Dead-Man-Walking_logo.png

ON TOPIC: Really upsetting coming from Max, but this language is straight up unacceptable.

However...

Gotta agree with the rest of the Gaffers who stand in utter disbelief at the first page here. The more horrifying element is always the defense force that crawls out exclusively for these threads.

Max is smart he'll own up to this.

He already replied here.

Lol wait. I only watched part of the clip. He actually said it multiple times?!
Nah, second time it comes out as "ninja" or "ninjer"

It does look like he slip saying it, but you dont slip saying a word you dont ever use, so obvious he uses the word, but in this case looks like a slip.
I mean, you can... try saying "chagger ninja dagger" fast a bunch of times, and you may accidentally slip up and turn the middle word into a slur. You know, tongue twisters. Tell a person to say "I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit; and on the slitted sheet I sit." and they'll probably end up saying "shit" somewhere in there even if they never use the word themselves

jacobeid

Banned
You know Wollan was banned for years, right? He's not exactly a "star member."

Yes, I am aware. Maybe a poor choice of words to call him a star member, but it still feels like that after his return. His threads blow up and often become the main area of discussion.

Ran rp

There was another race thread where Bish closed it temporarily to run errands, and said when he came back he'd be bringing his lawnmower.

I can't remember what thread it was but true to his word, a few hours later that thread was a graveyard.

Might be the Uncharted/Nadine one.

I already said that. Not sure what you're trying to get at.

There are aspects of the FGC and competitive gaming in general which amplify problems common across the whole game community, or other such communities in general. Nowhere have I said this is entirely an FGC problem, but they have some issues that make it easy for certain things to be drawn out. Is all.
I quickly skimmed your last sentence in your other post. My bad.
Hey guys. I'd like to post this clip for clarity, as my conscience won't let me do otherwise.

https://twitter.com/maximilian_/status/776878558597697536

After tongue twisting words multiple times throughout the stream, I said something I literally didn't believe I said until after I reviewed the footage in the morning. I was woken this morning to several people telling me that Neogaf and Reddit are blasting what I said and it's blowing up.

It was absolutely not my intention to use this word. It's disgusting, filthy and I've never intentionally used it ever in my life. Deeply sorry to anyone who thinks ill of me after this, as I've wanted nothing but to create an environment on Youtube and Twitch of kind-hearted people who I try to give back too just as much as they've given to me. The accusations coming my direction is something I've never had to deal with before, and it honestly one of the worst feelings I can remember. Especially when everything about my life, family and friends is the exact opposite of what the word represents.

I'll let the mods decide what to do with this thread. I can't ignore what I accidentally said, but I'd prefer not to be reminded of it every-time I visit the forum I've been a part of for almost a decade.

Glad you owned up to what you said and properly apologized instead of being ignorant about it.

Gestault

I am so very offended.

Imagine being in the group targeted by that word. Now imagine someone you follow/respect uses it in a stream (even in passing, or by what looks like a total fluke). It means that person could have some level underlying contempt for you for no good reason. You're not sure, but the idea is there, and that sucks. Because that's what the word is designed for.

It's neat if this doesn't apply to you, but telling other people what to feel give a situation is absolute rubbish.

Squire

Banned
Pretty sure the guys wife is Asian and he has two close black friends so I think it's safe to assume he's not apart of some "White Power" cult.
I don't even watch the guy anymore but this whole crusade that Max is some huge racist is ridiculous.

You heard it here, folks! He doesn't just have one black friend! He has TWO!

Shut it down, mods. We're done here.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Max did it on purpose, to make all of those banned on the first page show their true colors.

Good guy Max, taking one for the team. Genius level subterfuge on display.

There was another race thread where Bish closed it temporarily to run errands, and said when he came back he'd be bringing his lawnmower.

I can't remember what thread it was but true to his word, a few hours later that thread was a graveyard.

It was the creeper thread.

IrishNinja

Sometimes you have to just take a man or woman by their word. The man said it was an accident. He has no racial slurs in his past record. He was mashing together rapid fire words over the entire stream.

The shit happened, and he owned it.

Let that boy cook, NeoGAF.

yeah just saw his post on here, good on him

he's coming off far better than a number of folks in here

Audioboxer

I'll come back to this in a few hours, running some errands first.

Then we can a nice chat about some of y'all's behaviour.

Alright!

First off, I watched the video. I give Max the benefit of the doubt, not just for the evidence presented but taking into account his good rep established here over the years. That doesn't mean that a healthy dose of side-eye isn't coming his way, but it's okay to chalk it up to a slip of the tongue and move on.

What I find considerably more comical is the rush by several posters to show their asses in futile attempts to shut down the discussion. Whether out of concern for a streamer they like, or - more likely - preemptively shout down anyone who might take offense, the results are the same. Casual dismissal? Gone. They-say-it-why-can't-we-say-it? Gone. Thread whining? Gone. Intent doesn't matter? Gone. "Outrage culture"? Gone.

Listen - preemptively yelling about "outrage" not only exposes a dangerously Philistine pig ignorance on the topic at hand, but social issues in general. You're saying, "it doesn't matter to me, so it shouldn't matter to anyone". That's asshole behaviour, and it will get you clipped.

What you and your ilk need to understand are these 3 key pillars:

1. The narrative is not within your control
2. The discussion will take place without you
3. Nothing of value will be lost

Those of you who received temporary bans are encouraged to view this as a reprieve. Take the opportunity to self-examine why it was so important to jump in and tell people why they shouldn't be offended when literally nobody in the thread had said they were.

Those of you who were permed? You won't be missed.

bish doing g
afs
ods work

LvNxAav.jpg

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think it's interesting to know who's from the USA and who isn't in this thread, cause this might explain the huge difference in replies.

Well, since its the only place its used in whatever context when addressing an individual yeah. But i think generalizing people into only being racists if they are from the USA is wrong. Not everybody is white or generally ignorant on this board just because they are from the USA.

There are plenty of them here make no mistake, but we're generally split down the middle in scenarios like this.

My question is, even if we accept that Max's flub was based on tounge twisters, why would he use that word in anyway, even if your not actually thinking about it?

I don't think its a good look at all, and i'd hope its not indicative of people's deeper sentiments off camera. I know there are plenty of people who do the same thing, and it proves we have a long way to go before that kind of thing isn't even on the mind in regards to being okay.

pablito

You heard it here, folks! He doesn't just have one black friend! He has TWO!

Shut it down, mods. We're done here.

I almost didn't want to mention his black friends in my post. It's basically the "my best friends are black" defense when someone says something racist about black people.

I dunno though...he features them on his stream on a regular basis. Can that be taken into account?

Apollo

Banned
How the hell do u say something accidentally but say it twice? I'm black and watched the clip and did laugh a little but was not needed.

Why are so many people being banned for not being offended? I don't see it as a big deal either if that gets me banned then that is ridiculous. Is this an open forum for discussion or are only some views ok? And if only some views are allowed who is deciding what the "correct" view is? Not being bothered about someone saying a word doesn't make that person racist.

I've heard bad things about neogaf with similar situations and it's not good for the forum honestly.

I will get banned which will totally prove my point

Man I just cannot get over how strange it is what some people think is a violation of "free speech"

Like yeah you can say horrific shit if you want but really don't be surprised when you're ridiculed (in this case also banned) for either saying or defending slurs.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Hey guys. I'd like to post this clip for clarity, as my conscience won't let me do otherwise.

https://twitter.com/maximilian_/status/776878558597697536

After tongue twisting words multiple times throughout the stream, I said something I literally didn't believe I said until after I reviewed the footage in the morning. I was woken this morning to several people telling me that Neogaf and Reddit are blasting what I said and it's blowing up.

It was absolutely not my intention to use this word. It's disgusting, filthy and I've never intentionally used it ever in my life. Deeply sorry to anyone who thinks ill of me after this, as I've wanted nothing but to create an environment on Youtube and Twitch of kind-hearted people who I try to give back too just as much as they've given to me. The accusations coming my direction is something I've never had to deal with before, and it honestly one of the worst feelings I can remember. Especially when everything about my life, family and friends is the exact opposite of what the word represents.

I'll let the mods decide what to do with this thread. I can't ignore what I accidentally said, but I'd prefer not to be reminded of it every-time I visit the forum I've been a part of for almost a decade.
I think we're good here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom