• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Baldur's Gate project in the works [Update: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dire

The first thought that came to my mind when reading the OP was, "Oh boy, just like Shadowrun!" Multiplayer first person shooter, online only. As if that wasn't awesome enough - here's really cool thing - if you kill a certain character enough, like Edwin or Jaheira, you get a 'relationship scene' specially tailored to be between your character and theirs. It's exactly like Baldur's Gate, only better!!!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
It was unresponsive, impractical, overloaded with pointless submenus popping out all the time, and of course it doesn't help that I remember how badly it paired with the awful controls and the dumb AI of the game.
I remember that when i tried the game for the first time, coming from Baldur's Gate 2, it drove me mad how the simplest actions I was used to were suddenly so unreliable.

As I said, I hated NWN2 fiercely. Hell, after years I'm still listing it as one of my worst purchases.
I wasn't fond of NWN neither (euphemism) but at least controls worked for that one.
ive got to say i disagree with everything here. The NWN2 UI is leagues better than any other D&D rpg out there. im almost wondering if you got NWN1 and NWN2 mixed up somehow. The only thing NWN2 had was control issues at launch but since theyve added in additional camera modes and computers are faster thats an issue that was resolved in 2007. NWN2 AI issues? First ive heard of that. i do remember the AI issues of NWN1 where enemies did not use their abilities for what? A month or three after release?

dude

dude
I liked NWN2 overall, but I still had problems with the UI (not to mention that horrible, horrible camera.)It's ust a messy UI - I'm still not sure what the hell right clicking does (Why does an icon of the item I want to examine appear?) other than using keyboard shortcuts, it takes way too long to reach some very important screens, like inventory, your special abilities, feats, skills or spells. It's all just too confusing.

szaromir

Banned
NWN2 and MOTB are among the finest games in the genre. The hate is unwarranted.

I'm apparently the only person on the planet who loved the camera in NWN2, too. At first it appeared very unintuitive, once I got grasp of it was very smooth.

Durante

What makes NWN2's interface so great for me (and maybe so bad for others) is the amount of control you have over it. You can arrange it however you want, and you can even have completely different control methods set up for exploration and battle.

I strongly disagree with it being slow, it's faster than anything else as long as you use it correctly. (Which obviously includes keyboard shortcuts)

dude

dude
What makes NWN2's interface so great for me (and maybe so bad for others) is the amount of control you have over it. You can arrange it however you want, and you can even have completely different control methods set up for exploration and battle.

I strongly disagree with it being slow, it's faster than anything else as long as you use it correctly. (Which obviously includes keyboard shortcuts)

I appreciate the level of control given, and that's not the reason it doesn't work for me. Why does everything is hidden under one button? Why can't I easily access my spells without a keyboard shortcut? Why do I have to go to my character screen (which is hidden under a menu) to access my feats? Maybe there are ways to access those easier that I'm not aware of - But almost nothing is presented to you, everything is hidden under menus and obscure screens.

Durante

I just always kept the quickcast menu open during battles. I can't think of a faster way to access spells.

nwn2_ss_111507_204442tmes.jpg

Durante

... that's a single player game UI? That's not an MMO?
Yes, that's a wonderfully functional single player game UI during battle as a wizard in a party-based tactical RPG. It puts full control at your fingertips and gives you all the information you need.

Here's what it looks like during exploration:
beauty212ils.jpg

Of course, you can also switch the UI off and on entirely with the press of one key, in case you want to take in the sights.

nickcv

i love my ipod touch and my ipad, but while i can understand how to make BG work on the latter i don't really see how this could fit an ipod / iphone screen... the screen imho it's way too small for the whole GUI.

nickcv

BUMP!

they keep teasing, this is the new "incode" update from baldur's gate.com

<!-- March 5, 2012 -->
<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- "She left me to die. YOU left me to die. But Shar... Shar wanted me to live." -->

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
This is the definition of trolling. I think they'll sting us along until E3 then announce an iOS reboot of the series that runs concurrent with the new Baldur's Gate III on PC by Obsidian, written by Avellone and with an outside company handling the bug testing.

Also, they'll give everybody a pony.

nickcv

This is the definition of trolling. I think they'll sting us along until E3 then announce an iOS reboot of the series that runs concurrent with the new Baldur's Gate III on PC by Obsidian, written by Avellone and with an outside company handling the bug testing.

Also, they'll give everybody a pony.

i don't really think we'll ever see BGIII
or not as we'll like it... i'm afraid that when it will finally be released it will go the way of Duke Nukem Forever... :(

Muddimar

Oh god... I hope this game avoids all the DLC bullshit. Whatever happened to just making a game and including EVERYTHING. On a side note, the music on the website is fantastic.

Emitan

Oh god... I hope this game avoids all the DLC bullshit. Whatever happened to just making a game and including EVERYTHING. On a side note, the music on the website is fantastic.

Well considering it's most likely BG1 ported to iPad, it's probably not going to have DLC unless the expansion isn't sold with it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I swear to god if all this is just to announce an Ipad port I'm going to lose all of my shit.

They made a big deal out of needing a Mac for something they're developing.

Maybe they're porting it to Mac/Ipad alongside a PC release? I can't imagine them releasing it only for iPad and alienating a substantial portion of this game's cult following in the process.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
No way, no how is this going to be an iOS port. Its going to be the announcement that a new Baldurs Gate game in the vein of BG2 is not only coming out but it is stores this very minute!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom