• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Baldur's Gate project in the works [Update: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

It'll be the iOS port. Which if it really is makes me wonder who is in charge of their pr/marketing. To do this kind of hype for just an iOS port will turn into the company that cried wolf. Look at SquareEnix, every time they try to hype up an announcement for something everyone just rolls their eyes and begins to wonder what iOS port they're going to announce.

We're lucky if Square makes a game for iOS and not GREE or some shit.

It'll be the iOS port. Which if it really is makes me wonder who is in charge of their pr/marketing. To do this kind of hype for just an iOS port will turn into the company that cried wolf. Look at SquareEnix, every time they try to hype up an announcement for something everyone just rolls their eyes and begins to wonder what iOS port they're going to announce.

What hype? Stick up a website and a timer? Hardly a superbowl ad.

I also disagree that an ios port isn't worth building a little big of interest in. Like it or not, the ipad is a major platform, and this is one of the best games ever (if not *the* best).

Personally I would be very excited to have it on my ipad in a proper fully playable form.

I also think it will coincide with a steam release as well given the recent rumours. The more baldurs gate the better.

Ventrue

What hype? Stick up a website and a timer? Hardly a superbowl ad.

Teasing a "Baldur's Gate Project" for two weeks, putting up a countdown, saying things like "Raise Dead: Infinity Engine"... people can very easily get the impression that it's some sort of new Baldur's Gate game, and thus get very excited. Except an iOS port isn't very exciting for a lot of people.

Teasing a "Baldur's Gate Project" for two weeks, putting up a countdown, saying things like "Raise Dead: Infinity Engine"... people can very easily get the impression that it's some sort of new Baldur's Gate game, and thus get very excited. Except an iOS port isn't very exciting for a lot of people.

Well assuming it is an ios port, it is a baldurs gate project and pretty much all they are doing is raising the infinity engine from the dead tweaked for apple devices. So it all seems pretty well justified to me.

I can understand some people not being excited, but I am excited. So there is proof that perhaps a larger number of people could be?

Ventrue

Well assuming it is an ios port, it is a baldurs gate project and pretty much all they are doing is raising the infinity engine from the dead tweaked for apple devices. So it all seems pretty well justified to me.

I can understand some people not being excited, but I am excited. So there is proof that perhaps a larger number of people could be?

I guess I just mean that there are some quite rabid fans, and it's kinda giving them a bit of false hope. By all means port it to the iPad, just be straight up about it. All the mystery seems designed to grab attention by making people think there is a new game coming.

ronito

The problem with this argument that hard core fans will herald this as much to justify the hype is that if someone is a hardcore enough fan they'll already be playing it via the ports already done. Sure some might be excited but it'd be akin to saying "Hey! Here's a game on a platform you're most likely already playing it on. Be excited!"

The problem with this argument that hard core fans will herald this as much to justify the hype is that if someone is a hardcore enough fan they'll already be playing it via the ports already done. Sure some might be excited but it'd be akin to saying "Hey! Here's a game on a platform you're most likely already playing it on. Be excited!"

From a different perspective, I really want to buy this for my ipad. I imagine I will not be alone. This could generate a lot of money and interest for a number of new baldurs gate games. And if the 'classic' versions sell well, or even say become the best game on the platform (which it would be!), this might spur other rpg developers to release their old games or get back into the market.

The adventure game genre certainly got a kick along in a similar way. This has flowed through to the PC and beyond, which has been a great resurgence. As a grizzled old rpg fan who hates the skyrim type approach to the genre, this certainly captures my imagination and interest.

Besides all that, generating hype is not that hard to do for us types waiting for a BG3. Don't pretend that we will not all fall over ourselves every time there is a sniff of a BG marketing exercise ;) As such they might as well just do it.

.... And finally, maybe part of me wants this to be an ios port because I know I will love it (assuming the iron out a few control issues from the unofficial port). If it was a new baldurs gate game, I fear they would completely screw it up or make it a kart racer :(

would still buy....

Wiktor

The adventure game genre certainly got a kick along in a similar way. This has flowed through to the PC and beyond, which has been a great resurgence.
Ermm..what? PC adventure ressurgence started long time before iPad was released and the current good state of the genre on PC hardly has anything in common with iOS.

Still ,I hope you're right about BG ports increasing the interest in general public for this type of games.

Ermm..what? PC adventure ressurgence started long time before iPad was released and the current good state of the genre on PC hardly has anything in common with iOS.

Still ,I hope you're right about BG ports increasing the interest in general public for this type of games.

Sorry I didn't mean iOS specifically, just re-releasing old games which sold and opened it up for new entries in the series. It now appears to be quite healthy. However that happens doesn't really matter and as a previous poster mentioned, not much excitement to be had releasing BG on PC and couldn't really work on a console so this is probably the best chance it has to generate some excitement.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I hope is officially crushed, I'm fully expecting ipad port. Bleh.

spcd

Go for the eyes DLC confirmed! For $10 you will get an additional rodent!

I'm not even going to give this game any attention because I'm sure it's not made for those who enjoyed Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. It it's made for people who heard that BG is the best RPG ever made, but were too young to experience it in that time.

Edit: Just now I read it will be the same old BG but for Mac? Where can I find the source of this? It's speculation??

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
At least Blizzard are benevolent overlords. When the inevitable disappointment comes that this is just an Ipad release, at least the I have the other big game news of the day to carry me through the heartache.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I'm not even going to give this game any attention because I'm sure it's not made for those who enjoyed Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. It it's made for people who heard that BG is the best RPG ever made, but were too young to experience it in that time.
There is so much truth in this.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
At least Blizzard are benevolent overlords. When the inevitable disappointment comes that this is just an Ipad release, at least the I have the other big game news of the day to carry me through the heartache.

The game I can play is released on other platforms = paind and suffering

this Final Fantasy XIII level of fanboyism right here.

Anoregon

The game I can play is released on other platforms = paind and suffering

this Final Fantasy XIII level of fanboyism right here.

WHAT UP, COGNITIVE DISSONANCE?

It has nothing to do with disliking apple products or anything dumb like that, it's about the hope that the announcement is something more than just a port to a device that can actually already run the game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
WHAT UP, COGNITIVE DISSONANCE?

It has nothing to do with disliking apple products or anything dumb like that, it's about the hope that the announcement is something more than just a port to a device that can actually already run the game.

why would you even expect that from a little studio that has made two ports (or even less)?????

Anoregon

why would you even expect that from a little studio that has made two ports (or even less)?????

Because companies don't usually do this sort of hype-building pre-announcement buzz stuff just for an official port of something that already exists with third party support? I also absolutely don't ascribe to the idea that game developers are somehow forced to shoehorn themselves into what their initial few projects were. It's not like Blizzard became the go-to guys for adventure/platformers after lost vikings and blackthorne.

So yeah, why wouldn't I expect, or at least hope for something more than a port? A teaser webpage goes up referencing one of my favorite games of all time, with allusions to reviving it and making it better than it was before. Of course my initial reaction isn't "Oh gee, must be a ipad port."

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I dont want it to be iOS :( If I am super lucky I wont be even able to play it on iPad1 :(

Don't know if this has been posted already or even if it means something but if you open the source code of BG.com, it starts like this:

<!-- March 14, 2012 -->
<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- It is coming. -->

And yes, I am also excited for what happens in three hours.

All the negative nellies up in this thread. There's no way it's going to be BG3, because the entire Bhaalspawn plotline is wrapped up and done with in ToB. Sorry to shit on your hopes and dreams. If they were going to go with a completely new plotline with new characters and new everything else but leave it in the IE, they wouldn't call it BG3. It'd be IWD3 or something.

All signs point to iOS BG1, and for that I am anxiously awaiting the reveal.

Anoregon

I'm having a hard time picturing BG2 on my little ipod touch screen, that's for sure.

syko de4d

Rerelease on Steam with some UI/Graphic improvements (would buy it)

No one would use a shitty countdown for a big game like Baldurs Gate 3

Minsc

Gold Member
Rerelease on Steam with some UI/Graphic improvements (would buy it)

No one would use a shitty countdown for a big game like Baldurs Gate 3

Has absolutely nothing to do with Steam according to Beamdog. If it's a PC release, chances are it'll be on Beamdog's service.

Going against the grain a bit here but I'd love it if they ported BGII to the iPad. I can't sit for tens / hundreds of hours at a desk anymore (outside work). Lying on the couch, on a train/plane though? :D

Sentenza

Not really unless you're a completionist.

Even then, maybe 200 hours total.

First time I played BG2 I skipped like 35% of the game either because I didn't realize it existed or because I fucked up its existence.
Every other way to play those games beside being "a completionist" is just wrong.

It is if you commute a lot! Man would my commutes go fast. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom