• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post your internet speeds 2012 | OT | Europe and Japan laugh at the rest of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
w2BBy.jpg

After an internal and via a google search I could NOT find the old thread of post your internet speeds anymore :(.

So here is 2012 and time for a new thread of posting your ISP internet speeds.
And compare prises and terrible bandwidth caps around the world.

Go to http://www.speedtest.net to see your ISP speeds.
Click share and copy the forum link.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So best way to show people is take the form code (that is a picture) and past it here.

Legenda:

*picture from speedtest.net*
Bandwidth Cap = 250 gig/No Cap
Price per month = $/£/€50

Remember everyone please also post your prise per month and your caps, because than we can really "compare" the results.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My situation:

Got a new modem from my ISP today.

wKemKl.jpg

Old speeds:
uRsF9.jpg

New speeds:

Bandwidth Cap = No Cap
Price per month = €20 ~ $26

RS4-

1656319773.png

That was the fastest I've had lately. Right now it's hovering around 40 though, ugly weather turns my connection to crap.

$45 month, 300GB cap

Chris R

10/1 w/ 60GB cap for $80 is what I just got installed at my house. Totally wish there were more ISPs to choose from :( I'll post a speed test later when I'm at home.

MrBig

10/1 w/ 60GB cap for $80 is what I just got installed at my house. Totally wish there were more ISPs to choose from :( I'll post a speed test later when I'm at home.

That is absolutely terrible. I feel sorry for you.

Levyne

Banned

Wow, actually better than I thought. This is over wireless and also my laptops internal card is busted so I am using a really old usb adapter. Not sure how much of an affect that is.

Pay about 100USD a month for cable tv and internet (includes renting out a modem). I think I pay for 12 (15 with some boosting thing) down/ 2 up or something

Chris R

That is absolutely terrible. I feel sorry for you.

It wouldn't be AS bad if I had cable tv through my ISP ($20 a month cheaper), but I save more than that with DirecTV (and get better service).

Supposedly Verizon will be coming to Alaska this year, and they will be bringing a LTE network with them... but looking at their prices I'm betting nothing will change :(

n0n44m

directly from modem

1478679372.png

with router in between

1734775934.png

router is a Linksys WRT320-N flashed with TomatoUSB and slightly overclocked (DD-WRT = same speed) ... it does 120 mbit with factory firmware but it is highly unstable then ... and I'm not buying a new router as we might get fiber 150/150 this year, which AFAIK no Tomato/DD-WRT router supports at the moment

120/10 connection (cable)
no bandwidth cap
€67/month including TV and telephone

Blimblim

The Inside Track

100/60 FTTH link (as usual, the upload in speedtest isn't a good representation of the actual upload speed), with unlimited phone calls to many countries and quite a few TV channels. 40 euros/month.
It's SFR, but this type of offer is all thanks to Free.fr who just wouldn't do like the others. They made France an awesome country for home internet connections :)

Quick

Banned
Hey, Teksavvy users, how are you guys getting good download and upload speeds?

1734785948.png

That's what I'm rocking right now, 300 GB, $31.95 per month. Would running through a router cut down on my speed?

This is a lot better than my previous internet plan with Bell.

bjaelke

1734797052.png

No cap

$100/m including free phone and television. The connection is supposed to be 20/2, but some of it is reserved for the TV signal.

cajunator

Banned
Its being a little bit slow right now and I'm on my shitty computer, but you get the idea.
This is the kind of speed US residents cvan get when their City says fuck you to the ISP's.
Direct fiber to home.
Feelsgoodman
1734803454.png

Heres a better one
1734808674.png

eso76

1734804625.png

heh.

Then again, now that megaupload and the likes are dead, why would i need faster :p

Currently paying something like 16 € per month, and this is including phone, but this is because of a special offer, after a few months it will be back to 30 € / month, which is still good.

Oh, and no cap

Edit: wow at some of those fees. That's rape.

Oh, heh, xbox360 was connected and downloading. Should be around 8mbit otherwise and with a proper cable and not through router

LordCanti

U-Verse 23/3 tier I believe. I get right around there, and sometimes a bit more. Not too shabby, though the ping times are kind of shit.

Not sure about the price ($100-$200 or so, with internet, HBO, phone, HDTV, etc)

Cap is 250gb, which I'm pretty happy with (I've never come close, so it's not really an issue for me).

cajunator

Banned
I kind of wonder why more cities dont fight the ISP's like my city has.
ALthough it took like 5 years and a lot of court battling.
The result speaks for itself though.

I haven't been told of any cap. there's nothing in the contract mentioning one or anything.
Fiber is pretty generous with bandwidth.

Wouldn't South Korea beat Japan?
Well yes but I'm not so sure how many gaffer we have in South-Korea.
I know we have a lot from Japan.
Its being a little bit slow right now and I'm on my shitty computer, but you get the idea.
This is the kind of speed US residents cvan get when their City says fuck you to the ISP's.
Direct fiber to home.
Feelsgoodman
AWESOME! :D More US cities should do this!
ISP's in the USA ARE fucking terrible and should be required to open up the cables in the ground to everyone.

Chris R

I kind of wonder why more cities dont fight the ISP's like my city has.
ALthough it took like 5 years and a lot of court battling.
The result speaks for itself though.

I haven't been told of any cap. there's nothing in the contract mentioning one or anything.
Fiber is pretty generous with bandwidth.

I really wish my city would do this. Maybe I should contact the cities utility companies and see if they have any plans to do something similar :(

1734821964.png

Bandwidth Cap = No Cap
Price per month = 800 NOK ($137, Dollar is so weak right now. Work pays)

Damn Sweden is a hell of a lot cheaper than Norway.

cajunator

Banned
I really wish my city would do this. Maybe I should contact the cities utility companies and see if they have any plans to do something similar :(

It wouldn't hurt to try.
I'm pretty proud of my city for doing this. It took a lot of balls.
Cox and Bellsouth fought this the whole way. Now their internet is super cheap just so they can compete.

By the way, I know a few other cities have done this in the US, including Wilson, NC, Chatanooga, TN, and some city in Oregon. Are any of you guys in a city with a utility run fiber network?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
1734828260.png

AT&T Uverse (no cap)
Pay $115 for Internet/TV

I'm using a wireless router that they provided. Wow at some of these numbers :0

kswiston

1734833163.png

140GB cap

$41/month

This was a student package. Typically Rogers will give you 60GB/month with this connection for more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom