• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PowerUp 2012 | Fighting game tournament | April 13-15

Azure J

Theme of Morrigan vs. Morrigan fireball wars.

Meanwhile, I love that even at this level the game is showing us who's really playing well and utilizing their tools. Why doesn't Dieminion ever use Strange's projectile counter super? That shit would auto trigger given all the characters on screen right now, but he doesn't because he doesn't play the game outside of tourneys? Really?

Nerd Josh out placed Chris G, Noel Brown, and DJ Houshen at NCR. =)

I'm not saying Josh is a fraud, but he's not exactly a top tier Marvel player. He also ended up using PHX (Dante/Hagger/PHX aka Richard Nguyen 3.0) by the end of vanilla's life span.

I do agree with you that Morrigan isn't anything like vanilla PHX, but I do think she's closer than we think.

I don't think so? NCR was so weird anyway I wouldn't take these results into account in any case, lol.

1. coL.cc|Filipino Champ (Magneto, Dr. Doom, Phoenix)
2. 86'd|Knives (Spencer, Sentinel, Akuma)
3. PR Balrog (Spencer, Wolverine, Wesker | Others)
4. Padtrick (Vergil, Wesker, Strider)
5. Neo (Wesker, Magneto, Phoenix)
5. OMG Itz Andre (Vergil, Magneto, Wesker)
7. Infrit (Nova, Spencer, Sentinel)
7. CFD|Hi I'm Nastyy (Wesker, Frank West, Super-Skrull | Others)

9. EG|fLoE (Nemesis, Wesker, Strider)
9. FC|NYChrisG (Morrigan, Dr. Doom, Akuma)
9. DJ Huoshen (Felicia, Super-Skrull, Taskmaster)
9. coL.cc|Combofiend (Nova, Spencer, Hawkeye)
13. CJ Showstoppa (Wesker, Vergil, Magneto)
13. PZPOY (Zero, Dr. Doom, Phoenix)
13. Y2J (Wolverine, Spencer, Magneto)
13. KBeast (Dante, Magneto, C. Viper)

Chris G made some bad mistakes that he deserved to lose for iirc. Didn't he let a Skrull anchor chill on XF3-flavoured crack and fight Padtrick or some other Vergil, a character who can actually deal with it via smart SS?

Noel been lol'ing for a while, donno what's wrong with him. Can't remember what happened at NCR, think the OMGitzAndre factor happened :p.

Dieminon gave that one away.... like 3vs1 with x-factor.

YELLOW CARD!

I don't think so? NCR was so weird anyway I wouldn't take these results into account in any case, lol.

Noel been lol'ing for a while, donno what's wrong with him. Can't remember what happened at NCR, think the OMGitzAndre factor happened :p.

Oh my mistake. Well over Noel and others I guess. I thought Chris / DJ Houshen failed to make top 16 not top 8.

Things I can't believe:

No big Dorms
Barely any advance combos
We lost to a basic assist in Log Trap

And so forth. People just sucking hard.
Dormammu's big problem is that he doesn't have a good assist, so you're dedicated to him or nothing, really.

So its Morrigan vs Morrigan in GF?? Tell me how you guys think this is hype.
If it were a 1v1 game, your post would make sense.

her meter building in astral is all the nerf it needs. I dont mind the tactic if there was a reasonable end in sight.
Nope. Morrigan isn't even the problem. Don't you think it's crazy that we had maybe 5 teams with Hidden Missiles on it in the top 8, and 2 Morrigans, but people are complaining about Morrigan, and how she's near undefeatable when backed by Hidden Missiles? I'm not even saying Doom needs a nerf, but I think the lack of logic is wild.

Gonna agree. It's promoting people actually coming with a gameplan aside from auto-mixup :p Frontloaded/concept teams like this are what make this game great. At the other spectrum is something like PR Balrog's team of Spencer Wolvie Wesker, which is pretty much 3 guys who are good but hardly maximized -- fine in it's own right but well constructed teams should eat up Martha.

On your second point...I could see that happening if it gets rebalance. Niitsuma's team is less suspect than Ono's with the strange nerfs but it's CAPCPOM so you never know.

RE: Morri-Jean --

Absolutely zero frauds have won with Morrigan, so she's not Phoenix in any sense.
Morrigan's fireball streams take a ton of practice, and she has huge weakness that no one seems to care about exploiting.

It's amazing, but it's ALMOST like there's a kind of counterbalance in the game that people should pay attention to. How many players here are even using anti-airs? Mystic Ray and Vajra make her gameplay so difficult, and Mystic Ray even cleans out Hidden Missiles. That would take people thinking beyond trenchcoats, though.

Seems like changing from one heavy script to the other end. Then again, it's Marvel. For better or worse, everything gets cranked up to 11.

edit: I haven't watch Big2 for about a month, but isn't the usual pair in finals?
It's relatively new stuff. People will realize the counters and use them. Or complain.

Meanwhile, we have a grand finals with Viewtiful Joe and Dr. Strange, but people are too busy complaining about Morrigan to appreciate underplayed characters getting time to shine.

SmokeMaxX

If you just evade/block everything that you can you barely take more in chip damage than you would just blocking something like Hail Storm and she won't build much meter. Against people who know when not to press buttons, the only thing Astral Vision is good for is timer scams. If you get close enough, you can just snap her out and the power-up will deactivate immediately because it doesn't persist when she's not in play.

A more sensible nerf would be to shave 1 or 2 seconds off of its duration, but even that's not necessary. Being unable to build meter during it would be retarded. That would make it the only power-up hyper in the game that does not build meter when active OR persist on tag out.

Let's not go crazy here.

Agreed. Just super jump through the string and double jump / fly / float / whatever and you waste so much time off Morrigan's timer. Yeah it's annoying and yeah it does hella chip, but this isn't anything close to a true Marvel 2 trap. That shit was bananas. This stuff? Eh, just avoid it until she's out of meter.

Morrigan's fireball streams take a ton of practice, and she has huge weakness that no one seems to care about exploiting.

It's amazing, but it's ALMOST like there's a kind of counterbalance in the game that people should pay attention to. How many players here are even using anti-airs? Mystic Ray and Vajra make her gameplay so difficult, and Mystic Ray even cleans out Hidden Missiles. That would take people thinking beyond trenchcoats, though.

Mystic Ray, hadn't even thought of that. Would be cool to see, and at least deal with the missiles/Doom in a single swoop.

I'd love to see a Shuma do work in general, haven't really seen what he can do when pushed, aside from that one huge corner combo.

Morrigan becomes so much more human if you can deal with missiles. How many fast projectile assists were there even? Andre wasn't really countering missiles with EMD assist that much either, and I don't think CORN Alucard's Task assist got a chance to really get it established. HM is a lot like Drones in that he's out there forever and you can at least make them think about timing their calls with some strong horizontal projectile assists.

*hugs Hawkeye triple arrow assist*

-------------

Skullgirls and VSavior were great to watch. Dem loops, Waddle Dee umbrella combos, and a Sasquatch goin nuts. Good stuff.

Azure J

It's going to take a while, but I feel like people are going to start really hitting the lab and experimenting with characters soon to get the max out of their team setups. That being said, this was a weird tournament for Marvel, almost NCRish.

I hope something comes soon and elevates the game back to Vanilla Season's Beatings levels. Yipes needs to leave Mt. Silver and MarlinPie needs to quit ducking in Kanto.

Complete global succubation.

Sounds kinky. Also, yeah, this is the first one a Morrigan has taken. I can hear the Capcops coming for that ass already with the nerf paddles. :lol

Chavelo

SNK needs to get KOF XIV: Dream Match going and become more popular. Then we can see CvS3 after that. :D

anybody complaining about morrigan and yet uses the trench coats can eat a dick.

tumblr_lzbs3y5VLj1qkvsh6.gif

Sounds kinky. Also, yeah, this is the first one a Morrigan has taken. I can hear the Capcops coming for that ass already with the nerf paddles. :lol

Capcops have been silent lately...prepping AE2013, UMVC3 2012 patch, and Ultimate Street Fighter x Tekken (disc only release) no doubt. or just hovering over the "Release the Gems DLC" button with a cigarette in the other hand if those SFxT sales were bad enough.

Chavelo

Are we due for a Dream Match?

Sorry, I meant KOF XIV. But yeah, Ash saga is over with XIII and SNK usually does a dream match at the end of every KOF storyline.

This thread is now about who we want to see on KOF XIV and CvS3! :D

Yo SNK. Where's mah Angel and B. Jenet at? :3

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I feel like people are going to start really hitting the lab and experimenting
I don't think this is ever going to happen.

America is super, super lazy when it comes to fighting games these days. Not even saying that this is strictly an American thing; it's just the only scene I follow. Nobody experiments enough to build a solid counterpick stable anymore. This is super-apparent when it comes to SF4: The only dedicated Viper players we have have pretty much mained her forever; they weren't bandwagon hoppers. Sanford famously said "pick a top tier" but stuck with Sagat the whole way even after he was nerfed pretty hard. Everyone was more interested in bitching about Yun than learning Yun. If you compare old (or even recent) SF2 tournaments, it's a night and day difference where people are more than willing to counterpick their way around a bad match-up when necessary.

Same goes for Marvel 3. People pick their 3 rushdown point characters, put little thought into making a well-rounded team, and whine nonstop when they get curbstomped by a team archetype that should and does counter them perfectly. I haven't even watched much competitive Marvel 2 in my days, but even then I've seen more counterpicks on average in that game than I have in Marvel 3. (Chris G, ironically, happens to be one of the very few players who at least has a Plan B team to fall back on when his usual stuff doesn't cut it.)

I just don't know what it is, but I don't see attitudes changing much. People would rather whine and move onto a different game when their usual shit doesn't work than put in a little bit of practice to be more well-rounded when needed.

Man, I blame it on how lazy the pros got. I mean we LOST TO BASIC PROPERTIES of moves with Kusoru. Log Trap, triple jump and mach speed. That tells you something. Build right teams, level up your characters and learn synergy.

Sanford famously said "pick a top tier" but stuck with Sagat the whole way even after he was nerfed pretty hard.

I have never seen a tier list in SSF4/AE that didn't put Sagat in top 10, he's pretty much still a top tier even after his nerfs from vanilla. So him sticking to Sagat is fitting to his statement. Either way Sanford is obviously not a tier whore so anything he said shouldn't be taken seriously.

Top Bottom