• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: Valve acquires Turtle Rock Studios (Left 4 Dead)

Interesting . . . why would Valve do this?

Perhaps Valve is thinking of putting themselves up for sale . . . it must be extremely tempting considering the ridiculous sum that Bioware/Pandemic got.

Of course I think that Bioware/Pandemic deal was over-inflated due to self-dealing & cronyism.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Borys said:
Hmm?

Half-Life 2 was on Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3.

Hardly anything newsworthy in that sentence you bolded.
Yeah, and Half-Life 1 was released for the PS2. And there was that never-released Dreamcast version, too...
ToyMachine228 said:
Left 4 Dead should be part of Orange Box 2 on 360. HL2: Episode Three, Left 4 Dead and at least one more thing.
Counter-Strike Source? But how would that work with a gamepad? Was the Xbox CS any good?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
speculawyer said:
Interesting . . . why would Valve do this?

Perhaps Valve is thinking of putting themselves up for sale . . . it must be extremely tempting considering the ridiculous sum that Bioware/Pandemic got.

Of course I think that Bioware/Pandemic deal was over-inflated due to self-dealing & cronyism.

Not a chance, Gabe wont sell up, he enjoys being the centre of his fiercely independent company, also, acquiring Turtle Rock was a formality, so much so I am very surprised it hadn't happened already, they were a Co-Dev with half of Valves multiplayer games after all.

"Perhaps Valve is thinking of putting themselves up for sale . . . it must be extremely tempting considering the ridiculous sum that Bioware/Pandemic got."

Wha?

Valve's got no reason to sell themselves to anyone, they're making bucketloads with Steam.

Rur0ni

Teknopathetic said:
"Perhaps Valve is thinking of putting themselves up for sale . . . it must be extremely tempting considering the ridiculous sum that Bioware/Pandemic got."

Wha?

Valve's got no reason to sell themselves to anyone, they're making bucketloads with Steam.
Emphasis on bucketloads.

1-D_FTW

Teknopathetic said:

Wha?

And you forgot to mention that Gabe already made a bucket load of cash from when he cashed out from being one of the early MS employees.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I'm even more excited about L4D now. The only bad news is that this is the game that'll probably cause me to flush away money on Live Gold. :(

radjago

How many internal teams does Valve have now?

Source
Steam
Half-Life
Counter-Strike
Team Fortress
Day of Defeat
Ricochet
Portal
Left 4 Dead

Borys

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Wha?

Everybody has a price.

2291.jpg

Nizz

Chemo said:
Left 4 Dead looks fantastic. I doubt I'll get to play it until it's old news unless Valve changes their stance on the PS3, though. :(
Same here. I hope they change their mind and a. Decide to put the game out on PS3 also and b. They have a more hands on approach to said version. If not necessarily doing it themselves, at least be more involved quality assurance wise with a PS3 version. Again, only if it were to happen...

Draft said:
Oh jeez, the console talk. Look, we all know Valve has just gotten their first taste of real console money. We all know they're gonna pull a Bethesda/Epic/Bioware and jump ship. We all know this. But they haven't yet. And Left 4 Dead may be the last Valve hurrah for the PC faithful. So just let us have it, ok? Please?
Real console money? WTF? Valve have made a shit tonne more money on the PC than any console. Hell, i even bet TOB for PC sold better than the 360 version.

Quellex said:
They are private, they won't be bought.

PIC
PIC
PIC
Shit, when did they start showing off the forest level? Where can i get more screens or a video?

RubberJohnny said:
Talking of which, what's with the radio silence on The Crossing? That was announced before Left for Dead but we haven't seen anything at all.

I know it has nothing to do with either of those companies, I'm just thinking aloud.
The Crossing was announced after L4D. It is being made by Arkane Studios on the Source engine. Arkane made Dark Messiah on Source which was very good. I am really really intrigued by The Crossing. It could be so damn awesome.
Hell, Valve is involved in almost every bit of First person perspective innovation in games. It is crazy. They seem to be pushing the genre like no one else at the moment.

InterMoniker said:
Left for dead will probably be my next steam fps purchase. The Rock 24 was an awesome mod by those Turtle Rock guys too .

Rock 24 was made by the Turtle Rock guys? I thought Rock 24 was made by 2 amateur British modders. At least one of the guys posts on the Overclockers UK forums.

Jenga

Banned
Uh, yeah. Rock 24 was made by Two Blokes. That's what the developer thingy on STEAM says.

Oh, and anyone who honestly thinks Valve will be putting focus on consoles...are completely delusional. Seriously, get your self checked. Between the insane popularity of STEAM and the obvious fact the PC Orange Box probably sold more than the console versions combined (Valve doesn't release Steam sales number, sadly) the chances of Valve EVER ignoring PC in favor of consoles is...almost impossible. Hell, STEAM is at the fore-front on digital distribution too isn't it?

Felix Lighter said:
What's so funny?

Maybe he should have said FPS Multiplayer Concept of the Year since it's so early but I can't blame people for being excited. Awesome idea.

Don't worry about him...he has a bit of a reputation here.

Shit, when did they start showing off the forest level? Where can i get more screens or a video?

I was wondering the same thing

Sorry to the Crytek guys, but it's looking like Valve is going to be the only company that I upgrade my system for. I just seem to be playing their games more than any other dev house on the PC right now. And if they don't make it, I buy it through Steam. I can't wait for the next level of their work (continued development of Steam, the next iteration of the Source engine...). I'm soo happy to hear that they brought these guys in-house.

BeeDog

Jibber Hack said:
Sorry to the Crytek guys, but it's looking like Valve is going to be the only company that I upgrade my system for. I just seem to be playing their games more than any other dev house on the PC right now. And if they don't make it, I buy it through Steam. I can't wait for the next level of their work (continued development of Steam, the next iteration of the Source engine...). I'm soo happy to hear that they brought these guys in-house.

Since when do you have to upgrade your PC to play Valve games? Their games, as good as they may be, are never technical marvels and don't demand Crysis-level PC's, and probably won't for a long time. They create their games with scalability in mind to reach out to many more people.

BeeDog said:
Since when do you have to upgrade your PC to play Valve games? Their games, as good as they may be, are never technical marvels and don't demand Crysis-level PC's, and probably won't for a long time. They create their games with scalability in mind to reach out to many more people.

I think that was an undertone of my post. Currently I've been running on a two year old system and thanks to Valve I don't have to worry about upgrading. The only time I'll jump is when their next engine is released.

BeeDog said:

Both HL1 and HL2 were technical powerhouses and demanded the best hardware of the time to be played at high resolution at the best settings. It is only a more recent trend that they have not demanded such a thing from hardware due to them still using the Source engine (even if it is heavily modified).
Yes the engines have always scaled well but if you wanted it to look the best, you needed the best.

BeeDog said:
Source is an amazing engine that it runs on machine like mine while still looking pretty good, of course I have to disable HDR and not have everything on maximum if I want a fast and steady framerate.

Only off putting thing for me is that people say episode 1 and 2 both start straining systems more now to the point of only getting half the framerate, is this the same case for TF2? i'm one of those students who cannot afford to upgrade their pc untill it dies on them :(

How is this coming to the Xbox 360? After the Orange Box, I just can't see myself buying a multiplayer only game with a few maps for $60.

Teknoman

Jenga said:
We need to get GAF groups going of course.

Damn the PC or 360 version dilemma again. I know my PC will be able to run this with everything on...but the co-op nature of the game makes me want to go for it with XBL.

Jenga

Banned
Teknoman said:
Damn the PC or 360 version dilemma again. I know my PC will be able to run this with everything on...but the co-op nature of the game makes me want to go for it with XBL.
Well, we DO have Steam friends. Which works pretty damn well if TF2 is any indication. Make your friends buy gaming PCs.

Jenga said:
Well, we DO have Steam friends. Which works pretty damn well if TF2 is any indication. Make your friends buy gaming PCs.

Not to forget, Steam Community is going to have more features rolled out with L4D.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
L4D looks really cool but I don't know about the small game size. That's what stopped me from getting into the Splinter Cell multiplayer. It's fun when you have that many people lined up to play with, but it's less than ideal for playing the game regularly on dedicated servers.

Teknoman

Netrunner2k2 said:
Not to forget, Steam Community is going to have more features rolled out with L4D.

Jenga said:

lol guess that makes the decision. That and I totally forgot about the low price point. Maybe it's just my experience with most great online PC games that people dont use headsets much.

I really wish there was a Valve/Steam console for around the same price as the 360.

I can't afford to get a good new PC, and my current one doesn't play games very well.

Draft

Guybrush Threepwood said:
I really wish there was a Valve/Steam console for around the same price as the 360.

I can't afford to get a good new PC, and my current one doesn't play games very well.
I'm sure you could turn your shitbox into a Valve crusher for ~200, probably less depending on what type of CPU you are rocking.

Draft

Jacobi said:
Low price point? Has the price already been announced? I look forward playing this with gaffers on PC :)
It's a PC game. So of course it will be $10 cheaper than the X360 version, plus you'll get into the beta through Steam, plus you'll be playing on actual servers, plus you'll have the power of the Steam community at your disposal for no annual fee.

PC gaming :bow

Teknoman

Draft said:
It's a PC game. So of course it will be $10 cheaper than the X360 version, plus you'll get into the beta through Steam, plus you'll be playing on actual servers, plus you'll have the power of the Steam community at your disposal for no annual fee.

PC gaming :bow

Not to mention sometimes they have pre-order sales where you actually get money off/ can play the exact second the release date hits (well not the EXACT second, but damn close barring any errors).

Draft

Teknoman said:
Not to mention sometimes they have pre-order sales where you actually get money off/ can play the exact second the release date hits (well not the EXACT second, but damn close barring any errors).
Of course.

In instant download + beta + less expensive + free online + friends list + true HD graphics @ 60fps + servers we trust.

Guybrush Threepwood said:

What specs do you have?
To be honest.... at a 8600GT or HD2600 to most PCs and it will easily run these games. I doubt any processor from the last 4-5 years will struggle so its only the gfx card that will be a problem. If you are on a P2 or something then that would be an issue. Still you can upgrade to a low end box that will play this stuff for pittance anyhow. No doubt less than a 360 costs.

Top Bottom