• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: Valve acquires Turtle Rock Studios (Left 4 Dead)

I have a
P4 2.4 GHz CPU,
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
1 GB RDRam

Man it was great when I bought it 6 years ago. Half Life 2 ran fine but I'm not confident enough to pay for any semi-recent games just to find out that it will run like shit at the lowest settings.

Felix Lighter said:
I have a
P4 2.4 GHz CPU,
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
1 GB RDRam

Man it was great when I bought it 6 years ago. Half Life 2 ran fine but I'm not confident enough to pay for any semi-recent games just to find out that it will run like shit at the lowest settings.

Thats not a bad spec. You could probably manage the game on lower setting with that. Still, if it doesn't manage it £50 (probably $80 equivalent in the US with the cheaper prices and all) would buy you a gfx card that handles it comfortably. The 2.4ghz P4 shouldn't be an issue. Just check the minimum specs as i am not sure what they are.

WinFonda

Turtle Rock Studios sounds familiar.... Aren't they former Westwood employees? I believe they created the greatest PC game ever, Nox.

And if that is the case, hype + 10,000

Kamakazie! said:
Thats not a bad spec. You could probably manage the game on lower setting with that. Still, if it doesn't manage it £50 (probably $80 equivalent in the US with the cheaper prices and all) would buy you a gfx card that handles it comfortably. The 2.4ghz P4 shouldn't be an issue. Just check the minimum specs as i am not sure what they are.

I started up Half Life 2 to remind myself how it ran on my PC. Most settings set to high, resolution set to 1024x768, no anti aliasing, runs pretty smooth. It's been a long time since I launched Steam, it's nice to see a lot of the features that were "Under Construction" when I last saw it are up and running now.

Unfortunately, I have more to consider when deciding to buy this for my Xbox 360 or for the PC. My PC monitor is a crappy 4:3 15" CRT while my XBox 360 is connected to a 50" HDTV. I also don't know if I really want to put anymore money into the old clunker just to run a very small hand full of games with reasonable requirements. Some day I'll invest in a new machine but I don't really know when I'll get around to it. I'll have to put some more thought into it.

Jenga

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
I started up Half Life 2 to remind myself how it ran on my PC. Most settings set to high, resolution set to 1024x768, no anti aliasing, runs pretty smooth. It's been a long time since I launched Steam, it's nice to see a lot of the features that were "Under Construction" when I last saw it are up and running now.

Unfortunately, I have more to consider when deciding to buy this for my Xbox 360 or for the PC. My PC monitor is a crappy 4:3 15" CRT while my XBox 360 is connected to a 50" HDTV. I also don't know if I really want to put anymore money into the old clunker just to run a very small hand full of games with reasonable requirements. Some day I'll invest in a new machine but I don't really know when I'll get around to it. I'll have to put some more thought into it.
Play the singleplayer games on your 360 and HD. You won't regret it. However. you MUST play Team Fortress 2 on your PC.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Felix Lighter said:
Half Life 2 ran fine but I'm not confident enough to pay for any semi-recent games just to find out that it will run like shit at the lowest settings.

Snag some demos and give 'em a run.

Not surprisingly. I recall reading interviews talking about most of Turtle Rock taking long trips to valve on a regular basis

How many internal teams does Valve have now?

Source
Steam
Half-Life
Counter-Strike
Team Fortress
Day of Defeat
Ricochet
Portal
Left 4 Dead

It doesn't work that way. They shift focus between products, this was especially obvious with DoD:S which is in almost everyway a step backwards from the original mod (not surprisingly some of the team that went to Valve is no longer there, Wally being the main guy who has since left).

Jenga

Banned
MrPing1000 said:
Not surprisingly. I recall reading interviews talking about most of Turtle Rock taking long trips to valve on a regular basis

It doesn't work that way. They shift focus between products, this was especially obvious with DoD:S which is in almost everyway a step backwards from the original mod (not surprisingly some of the team that went to Valve is no longer there, Wally being the main guy who has since left).
Woah, never knew that. Why did he leave?

Borys

Banned
Felix Lighter said:

Yeah, sometimes you just want to leave the old stuff and live behind with not turning back. I left comics that way - there were just too many issues I missed and would have to spend colossal money on them, so I said "fuck it" and sold the rest that I had to my friend. I can understand you doing the same with PC gaming.

Borys said:
Yeah, sometimes you just want to leave the old stuff and live behind with not turning back. I left comics that way - there were just too many issues I missed and would have to spend colossal money on them, so I said "fuck it" and sold the rest that I had to my friend. I can understand you doing the same with PC gaming.

You make it sound so depressing. I'm not sure if I'm done with PC gaming or not. I'm pretty sure most of my friends are. I think I will buy a new gaming PC sometime in the future but I do have a lot of catching up to do. I haven't been paying much attention to the current hardware, games and prices. Left 4 Dead is the type of game that could inspire me.

Mrbob

EGM is listing Left 4 Dead os 360/PS3 in their multiplatform article for their new issue.

Who knows if it is true though. But at least there is a little hope for a PS3 version. Unfortunately no one on PS3 use headsets so this game is tailored made for X360 and PC.

Tieno

Felix Lighter said:
You make it sound so depressing.
Reverse psychology
I'm not sure if I'm done with PC gaming or not. I'm pretty sure most of my friends are. I think I will buy a new gaming PC sometime in the future but I do have a lot of catching up to do. I haven't been paying much attention to the current hardware, games and prices. Left 4 Dead is the type of game that could inspire me.
It worked!

Borys is good!

Borys

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
You make it sound so depressing.

I just posted a true, real-life story that happened to me. I still get a wet-eye when I see some old Marvel issues thugh.

I'm not sure if I'm done with PC gaming or not.

If you feel you are then you are.

I'm pretty sure most of my friends are.

Friends moved on with life, see? Don't stay behind.

I think I will buy a new gaming PC sometime in the future but I do have a lot of catching up to do. I haven't been paying much attention to the current hardware, games and prices.

Nobody is forcing you to anything :lol but if you insist then...

Left 4 Dead is the type of game that could inspire me.

...it's the last type of game that should inspire you, seriously.

It's basically CS with zombies, like we haven't had them enough.

Rorschach

Borys said:
...it's the last type of game that should inspire you, seriously.

You're very well informed.
Borys said:
I Say This All As A Huge PC Fanboi
That doesn't actually play any of the games he talks about.

Jacobi

Banned
Last year I though I'd be playing this in Summer 2007, oh Valve :lol :lol :lol Wait, get your shit together Valve :mad:)

Borys said:
WRONG/Luthor

1-D_FTW

SON-OF-A-BITCH to the delay! NO!

And has somebody hijacked Borys' account in this thread? WTF are you talking about? Counter-Strike with Zombies? No.

1-D_FTW said:
SON-OF-A-BITCH to the delay! NO!

And has somebody hijacked Borys' account in this thread? WTF are you talking about? Counter-Strike with Zombies? No.

Well, it is pretty similar to a certain CS mod, no?

Mrbob said:
EGM is listing Left 4 Dead os 360/PS3 in their multiplatform article for their new issue.

Who knows if it is true though. But at least there is a little hope for a PS3 version. Unfortunately no one on PS3 use headsets so this game is tailored made for X360 and PC.

I saw that too, then I saw Ninja Gaiden 2 listed as 360/PS3 as well....wouldn't doubt they got Left 4 Dead wrong too.

Top Bottom