• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre E3 MS rumours: HD-DVD for 100 bucks and more..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Insertia said:
M$ must be shitting their pants if they're annoucing price drops less than 6 months after release. They haven't even been able to supply enough units yet.

Again, E3 2002. Xbox fell $100, GC fell $50

sp0rsk said:
uh, the moment i saw the words "sega virtual console" my ex sega fanboy fanboy radar went off like mad. I think its safe to say whenever theres a big rumor involving microsoft and sega you can probably safely dismiss it without giving a second thought. Its almost always some ex sega fanboys wet dream.

It was supposed to say "Sega Virtual Cornhole". It's a translation problem. Fuckin' babelfish.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
_leech_ said:
That's actually exactly in line with the US price at the current rate ($99).

Considering Sony offered twice the storage & a game for $99 - 2.5 years ago - it is a ripoff worldwide :)

DefectiveReject said:
$100 price drop and a $100 add on?

So new buyers will get a HD-DVD XBox 360 for the same price as the original takers :lol :lol

thats kind of how pricedrops work... either new buyers get it for cheaper than original takers, or they can spend that extra money on other things.. like an xbox 360 and a pair of $100 shoes... really amazing stuff, i can see why you found it funny.

Reilly

Cold-Steel said:
So if the HD-DVD Drive is only $100, does that mean that the Premium Pack is now officially the New Tard Pack?

If the Premium Pak is the new Retard Pak, then the current Retard Pak becomes the Aborted Fetus Pak?

mashoutposse

Ante Up
SyNapSe said:
They'll lower it or discontinue it. While I'm not going to say that list is true a lot of the things on their wouldn't be that surprising. It's one of the reasons I didn't bother with a X360 yet. I bought an Xbox at launch and 6 months later at E3 it dropped in price $100. They tried to price super high in europe as well but it didn't work.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see Sony launch at $499 or something. If people are willing to buy them in the 1000's of Ebay at $800-$1000 dollars why not take a little bit of that profit yourself for the first few months when hype is crazy. Then cut the price at the next E3. Granted your walking a bit of a fine line, but it seems pretty obvious at this point that the early adopters are willing to pay a hefty fee to have these devices first. An extra $100 * even just 5 million units is a lot of extra cash.

That few hundred million up front could cost them a billion or two by the end. The last thing they need is for the PS3 to be perceived as a "ripoff," not when they have things like Blu-Ray riding on the success of the machine. Sony's style has always been to keep the pressure on to sustain their positive momentum; they don't tend to take things for granted and/or rest on their laurels. See today's PS2 price drop announcement (despite the fact that PS2 significantly outsold its nearest competitor just last month).

jett

D-Member
I find it hard to believe the 360 will drop its price so soon. Thought they wanted to make some money this time. :p

jett said:
I find it hard to believe the 360 will drop its price so soon. Thought they wanted to make some money this time. :p

With an attach rate of 4 games per system (!), plus only licensed controllers and memory cards, plus Arcade, plus other microtransactions, I wouldn't be surprised if they have been breaking even so far this gen. Mainly because of the games and controllers. I bet they are doing a lot better this gen, and even with a price cut they'll probably be doing just fine. No reason to do it in May though, but October is another story.

The HD-DVD shouldn't be more than a $100 if they expect anyone to buy it :). I will get one for that price, and I'd also like a larger HDD as well.

Joe

so johnny nightrain goes to xbox fan sites and plants fake rumors to put MS in a bad light when its found that the rumors were false?

GhaleonEB

Stinkles said:
I was gonna dish, but I am scared of BuddyC's warning on te stickied front page.
Oh, that only applied to vauge hints. Dish away. :p

j/k

Seriously - do you even have visibility to these kind of announcements, the Halo one aside? Just wondering.

Speevy

Banned
Joe said:
so johnny nightrain goes to xbox fan sites and plants fake rumors to put MS in a bad light when its found that the rumors were false?

Yeah, he became tired of torturing one fanbase so he switched to another.

HocusPocus said:
The HD-DVD shouldn't be more than a $100 if they expect anyone to buy it :). I will get one for that price, and I'd also like a larger HDD as well.

That would be a great deal I'd get it too, I think the only current HD-DVD player is like 500 bucks.

sp0rsk said:
yeah but xbox 1 wasnt selling.

xbox 360 is selling fine.

Well to be correct, the Xbox had already sold in 45 days what the 360 still hasn't reached in 4 1/2 months.

March 2001: 1.8M Original Xbox
March 2006: 1.2M Xbox 360

So, it's actually sold 33% less.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
sonycowboy said:
Well to be correct, the Xbox had already sold in 45 days what the 360 still hasn't reached in 4 1/2 months.

March 2001: 1.8M Original Xbox
March 2006: 1.2M Xbox 360

So, it's actually sold 33% less.

Well thats not really a demand issue though is it.

sprsk

Joe said:

ACtually you know i think these rumors have been posted here before

the sega virtual console thing was in a nother list of rumors that were proved fake a couple of weeks ago...i think

sp0rsk said:
Well thats not really a demand issue though is it.

We don't know yet, to be certain, although all signs point to a monster April and the 360 will likely catch up to the original by June or July.

Joe

well if you're MS do you let sony dominate the christmas hype or do you combat their hype with lowering the price of your system which raises an already high demand and theoretically "opens the floodgates"?

it makes sense to lower the price, still wouldnt doubt if they keep the price the same though.

qirex

beermonkey@tehbias said:
With an attach rate of 4 games per system (!), plus only licensed controllers and memory cards, plus Arcade, plus other microtransactions, I wouldn't be surprised if they have been breaking even so far this gen. Mainly because of the games and controllers. I bet they are doing a lot better this gen, and even with a price cut they'll probably be doing just fine. No reason to do it in May though, but October is another story.
Maybe breaking even if you only count the cost of hardware and not thier hundreds of employees, office space, 8-figure marketing campaign, support, etc.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GhaleonEB said:
Oh, that only applied to vauge hints. Dish away. :p

j/k

Seriously - do you even have visibility to these kind of announcements, the Halo one aside? Just wondering.

Most of the things on that list are completely outside my realm of knowledge. I would never comment on the ones that were, even if they were common knowledge, but to be honest, it looks fake to me. But for the same reasons it looks fake to other folks here.

Mrbob

sonycowboy said:
We don't know yet, to be certain, although all signs point to a monster April and the 360 will likely catch up to the original by June or July.

Meh, stop pumping up the competition, as you said the same thing about March. ;)

sprsk

Joe said:
well if you're MS do you let sony dominate the christmas hype or do you combat their hype with lowering the price of your system which raises an already high demand and theoretically "opens the floodgates"?

it makes sense to lower the price, still wouldnt doubt if they keep the price the same though.

It doesnt make sense to preemptively lower the price though. taking an unecessary loss is probably something microsoft doesnt want to do. Ride that 400 dollar price point till they cant ride it anymore.

GhaleonEB

Stinkles said:
Most of the things on that list are completely outside my realm of knowledge. I would never comment on the ones that were, even if they were common knowledge, but to be honest, it looks fake to me. But for the same reasons it looks fake to other folks here.
That's what I thought all around - thanks.

sp0rsk said:
It doesnt make sense to preemptively lower the price though. taking an unecessary loss is probably something microsoft doesnt want to do. Ride that 400 dollar price point till they cant ride it anymore.

Exactly. Price isn't a weapon. To maximize your sales, you sell until the demand isn't sufficient to support it. Then you drop the price. Also, price drops have a bounce effect on sales. Why waste the bounce prematurely when you're going to sell incredibly well anyway?

uh, the moment i saw the words "sega virtual console" my ex sega fanboy fanboy radar went off like mad. I think its safe to say whenever theres a big rumor involving microsoft and sega you can probably safely dismiss it without giving a second thought. Its almost always some ex sega fanboys wet dream.
I'm hoping SEGA mean Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast. Be wild Microsoft!!!
soundwave05 said:
If you're equating music to be as popular/valuable to a person as video games (assuming that person even plays the occasional game of Solataire here and there) you're off your friggin' rocker.
It's all entertaiment, the problem of videogames consoles compared to music and movies is that it's less accessible than any other media. Devices that make us able to use them intuitively, looks good, works like it's supposed to and offer a lot of great and useful(ex: iTunes) features wins (iPod), it's not a miracle if it's popular. Today controller are indeed problematic, especially with 3D gaming. Analog sticks works but there's a lot better and simpler (no, it's not Nintendo that invented motion based gaming but there a the first to really pushing it in that direction like no one else). When gaming is going to be extremly easy to use and cheap, everyone is going to use them just like music today (the Rev is a step in the right direction)

Nintendo has no business selling hardware any longer if that system is going to be over $150. It's a modestly souped up GameCube with a $40 controller tops (otherwise how are they going to sell seperate controllers at any kind of reasonable price?) for fall 2006.
-Even if it's 200$, the games, if they deliver, is going to make the price of the console irrevalant, it's the same for all consoles
-We are talking about people that don't play videogames, why would they know about the Rev being a souped up GC and why they would even care? They don't care about tech, the softwares of the system will have to convince them to buy the Rev, not the specs.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You guys really think any company would announce price drop like this at E3, five months before said price drop is supposed to happen?

Striek

Marconelly said:
You guys really think any company would announce price drop like this at E3, five months before said price drop is supposed to happen?
Logic, pssh, its overrated.

Although I would expect a pricedrop this year, and why do it in the holidays? Sept. or October make sense. I think it would relieve Sony of pricing pressures as much as it hinders though. Certainly announcing such a drop at E3 is not going to happen and just another 'hmm what??' 'thing listed.

heidern

sonycowboy said:
You really think so? The original box consistently sold over 200K a month so for the 360 to catch up in 3 months it would have to average over a mammoth 400K a month. I really don't see that happening. I mean we're heading into the slow period of the year anyway where releases normally dry up during the summer, I could very well see it doing around 250-300K a month for the next couple of months, and possibly dropping during the summer to 150Kish levels like the psp did last year just after launch.

I'd peg any catchup date more towards September or October but even that may be ambitious seeing as the original box benefited from the $100 price cut in May. If they don't repeat that the gap may very well be maintained or in an extreme circumstance increased this year.

Owzers

I doubt it's true. There's too many things on that list to get excited about, which of course means it won't be happening :p

You'd think that Xbox Live Gold would HAVE to be lowered in price at least since Sony is coming out with a decent online set-up at no cost.

$100 HD-DVD drive = would be great...as long as HD-DVD wins the format war :p

medrew

VultureDude said:
figures...

makes you wonder what the shareholders think when they get their quarterly reports...

They think: 'Go and fucking get them.'

Considering Microsoft has matured in a lot of ways in which they get their income (near all of it coming from Windows and Office) long-term holders will be supporting it if it means greater profits in the future.
Of course there is always pressure to increase profits for the next quarter, but that's what all the PR spin is for. Future promises.

Besides, the shareholders are too distracted by the Vista fiasco. :lol

----

Banned
That whole list looks like an Xbox fanboys wet dream. I seriously doubt that MS is planning price drops for 360 at a time when they are still struggling to supply retailers with enough systems. I think Xbox 360 will definitely go into this next holiday season at full price. Look for a price drop after the next holiday season is over. I also think Xbox Live Gold being free is silly and has no chance of happening in the near future.

If the HD DVD add-on was $100 I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. Regardless of who wins the format wars I need an HD DVD machine to rent the content that is exclusive to the HD DVD format and will not be on Blu-ray.

mashoutposse said:
MS reduced the original XBOX by $100 within 6 months, so there's definitely a precedent.
True but MS is trying to copy the PS2's business model not the Xbox's. Microsoft has recognized the original Xbox as unprofitable and doesn't seem to have any desire to follow that playbook. I think it would be more appropriate to look at when the PS2's price was reduced to guess when the 360 would see a price drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom