• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-order for The Last Guardian exceed Sony's expectations

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I want to see the reaction of someone getting this in the post that pre-ordered after the initial announcement, doesn't own a PS4, and doesn't even realise the game has been re-announced for PS4.

One person like that has to exist in the world.
Their countdown TV ads in Japan are based on that exact concept :) And they are awesome:

http://gematsu.com/2016/11/last-guardian-japanese-countdown-web-commercial-series-begins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av6wst_fE0M

I've only heard it will be patched for HDR on launch day.

I'm hoping for a suped up 1080p mode.
Where did you hear that?

It's still not doing too hot in the Amazon pre-order charts, but I don't know how representative that is of overall sales so I won't say anything definitive.

But maybe Sony had really low expectations.
Yeah, I considered that too but then I looked at what was ahead of it (BF1, CoD, etc...) at lower prices and then I figured it may just be that the stuff ahead of it is moving well rather than TLG doing poorly. We'll see though.

rockx4

Would need to know what expectations were to even know if this means anything. I doubt it'll sell very well though.

If only. It's sat at #40 in UK Amazon chart and it releases in a week. 100k worldwide maybe.

Hate it when people reply to hyperbole with opposite hyperbole. Shadow of the Collossus did 140k first week in Japan alone. First week in Japan and UK combined will be over 100k if it doesn't completely bomb.

They should have really low expectations.
Agreed. Which should make it easy to exceed them.

As someone who wanted this game from the moment I saw it first revealed... I am still going in very, very cautiously optimistic.

I hope, at the very least, it delivers for the fans who stuck by it for all this time. It's a game that clearly won't be for everyone, but I just hope it's for a segment of the gamer audience that is big enough to matter.

Raw64life

They're probably underestimating the number of people who have died since TLG first became available for pre-order.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I ordered it and own the previous 2 games on the ps3 release but haven't played them. Im excited because it looks good :)

You really need to play them. To be completely honest, if TLG is even half as good as those two games, it will easily be my GOTY.

Unknown?

They've done a smart job at advertising. Billboards, presence at GameStop, trailer at fantastic beasts. Maybe this will teach them that advertising interesting games works?

ethomaz

Banned
There were suggestions in the PAL thread that TLG would get ~20K or even ~10K. Also, that DR4 would sell more. No bets were made but this info swings the pendulum in a certain direction, at least.
The Order did more than that.

TLG will do over 40k at launch.

Lets face it, TLG will never live up to the hype, just like FF15 but it doesn't mean it won't be a good game, just like FF15 :)

Hard to say how much it will sell but the numbers I found online:

ICO did around 0.47m
SotC did around 1.14m on PS2

Not sure what the Remaster Collection sold but at a guess, I would say TLG might do 1m-1.5m world wide.

Aceofspades

Banned
Seems like Sony says this a lot. They like to fund smaller and niche games, but they never seem to believe in them.

see: Until Dawn

They believe in the games hence why they develop/co-develop them, its just they don't believe in customers tastes.

melkier33

Anyone hear anything about the last guardian thing they were doing for the PlayStation e3 theater showings? Something about 1 winner at each theater but as far as I'm aware they didn't say what. I'll probably preorder after the conference on Saturday, just kinda been waiting to hear about that, in the very off something comes out of it.

Not pre ordered but will pick it up day 1.
Excited :) but I know I will not play it day 1 the same reason I not played my copy of FFXV yet.. BF1 addiction.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I hope the game was profitable after the 9 year dev cycle
Me too. However, I can guarantee you that if profit was a major concern for them with this project, this game would never ever get released. This is 100% a passion project for the fans.

Lets face it, TLG will never live up to the hype, just like FF15 but it doesn't mean it won't be a good game, just like FF15 :)

Hard to say how much it will sell but the numbers I found online:

ICO did around 0.47m
SotC did around 1.14m on PS2
What exactly is the hype though? That it's another Ueda game that's as good as his past work and builds up what those games did? "Hype" needs context; what must TLG achieve to be a masterpiece that some say it won't or can't be?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Me too. However, I can guarantee you that if profit was a major concern for them with this project, this game would never ever get released. This is 100% a passion project for the fans.

I'm not saying it's going to be profitable or anything, but I can't imagine it cost as much as many people are making out. I can't remember the exact figure but I don't think the team was very big for most of the development cycle.

Accurate first post is best post, and the salt is caused is pretty tasty too.

The salt caused by this post is actually people pointing out how inaccurate it was.

synce

Still waiting on the reviews. But if it's good, at least 10 hours long, and doesn't have DLC, I'll buy at full price

hype machine is at full steam.

unfortunately i'm worried about alot of backlash and resale copies due to it having a notably "short" campaign with no MP....modern day gamers don't take too kindly to those type of games, esp when full priced and after ~10 years of dev time.

Still waiting on the reviews. But if it's good, at least 10 hours long, and doesn't have DLC, I'll buy at full price
hype machine is at full steam.

unfortunately i'm worried about alot of backlash and resale copies due to it having a notably "short" campaign with no MP....modern day gamers don't take too kindly to those type of games, esp when full priced and after ~10 years of dev time.
Early impressions have said around 12. Someone currently playing said he's about 9 hours in

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm not saying it's going to be profitable or anything, but I can't imagine it cost as much as many people are making out. I can't remember the exact figure but I don't think the team was very big for most of the development cycle.
I fully agree with you on this as well. I think people just see "9 year dev cycle" and go apeshit with budget prediction for this game. I honestly don't think Sony spend more than $30-40 mil for the dev budge alone.

Top Bottom