• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-order for The Last Guardian exceed Sony's expectations

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
bubub but, TLG is niche! SONY doesn't market well! It will be lucky to sell 200k!

xD

I wouldn't mock any of that yet. The game still has to perform. Being this many eyars in the making, it's shades of Duke Forever at this point.

I think it'll sell a chunk based on name and hype alone, but if it's not a good game it may be lost forever.

I wouldn't mock any of that yet. The game still has to perform. Being this many eyars in the making, it's shades of Duke Forever at this point.

I think it'll sell a chunk based on name and hype alone, but if it's not a good game it may be lost forever.
It's not even close to Duke Nukem's situation. This is The Witness of AA(A?) games

Duke Nukem was an amorphous chimera of a game that changed myriad times. The Last Guardian is the same game as the Project Trico prototype, down to same moments since in 2009 and 2016

What exactly is the hype though? That it's another Ueda game that's as good as his past work and builds up what those games did? "Hype" needs context; what must TLG achieve to be a masterpiece that some say it won't or can't be?

More from the fact it just took so long to make the game and now its finally coming out. I personally don't like hype surrounding any game, as most games never live up to what people want / expect, when it comes to hyping things up.

I think the game will be good, even if it really should have come out last gen. I have it pre-ordered, as I loved ICO and SotC and I think TLG will be as good as those games but I also don't expect this to be the best game ever made. It could be a masterpiece but on a small scale, like SotC was.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Lol Duke Nukem Forever, what an absolute piece of shit software that needed to remain dead. This will be nowhere near or in the same ballpark as that pos.

sense

But the game will be well below the masses´ naive expectations after 9 years of inflating it to the high sky.
I don't think it was ever expected to be a big seller so not sure what you are talking about. The previous games were critically acclaimed but never multi million sellers. People were hyped regarding its quality not its sales

BriGuy

It's still nuts to me that Team Ico missed the entire PS3 generation. That wasn't a short console generation either.

EGM1966

Only game I've preordered since Uncharted 4. After delivering two of my favourite titles ever they've got my loyalty.

Besides, this and HL3 are only two games I've been day one about for years: can't skip the only one releasing.

prwxv3

This game was never greenlit to make a profit on. And the budget is no where near the budgets of AAA games released currently. Comparisons to DNF are also completly stupid.

NateDrake

Exceeding expectations doesn't really mean much without some level of reference. They may have had low expectations, and exceeding them doesn't mean the game will be a huge success. Hope it does well because the industry needs more games like TLG.

I'm assuming he means it's akin to a boutique film or pet project. Not a mega-blockbuster, but something that brings a certain integrity and stature to your profile.

Well, that is probably true. But projects aren't greenlit if they're expected to lose money for the company. I'd be pretty surprised if TLG wasn't originally greenlit with the expectation that it would eke out a small profit at the very least. Whether that be through the game itself or increased awareness of the console, leading to more hardware sales.

J-Skee

This game was never greenlit to make a profit on. And the budget is no where near the budgets of AAA games released currently. Comparisons to DNF are also completly stupid.

You can't say something like that as if it's absolute fact. Unless you're in the know, you're just assuming that's the case.

prwxv3

You can't say something like that as if it's absolute fact. Unless you're in the know, you're just assuming that's the case.

If the budget was nearing budgets of AAA games today they would have canceled it years ago. And Yoshida is on record saying that the budget is not that high.

prwxv3

Well, that is probably true. But projects aren't greenlit if they're expected to lose money for the company. I'd be pretty surprised if TLG wasn't originally greenlit with the expectation that it would eke out a small profit at the very least. Whether that be through the game itself or increased awareness of the console, leading to more hardware sales.

These games exist because they diversify the lineup which is good for hardware sales it and the budgets for these games are a drip in a bucket compared to games like horizon. Also as a whole the leadership at Sony like Videogames and producing Videogames not just the profits from videogames.

I said this in the PAL charts thread but TLG is going to sell an awful lot of copies, think I said 100k+.....

Nah, I seriously doubt it'll be that high. I think only about 6 games have exceeded 100k launch week sales here in the UK this year (I'm sure Bruno laid it out in a topic a few weeks ago), and despite the dedicated fan base I can't see TLG massively outstripping the likes of Dishonored 2 and Watch Dogs 2. I'm guessing it'll hit 50-60k copies, but I'd be ecstatic if it did more. Also think it'll have a big decline in week 2.

This and kh3 will be the two games that finish the remaining ps2 franchises i am nostalgic for. Here's hoping I get the same feeling from this as I did with ico and sotc. Good to hear what people have played. Seems it might be my personal favourite trilogy.

These games exist because they diversify the lineup which is good for hardware sales it and the budgets for these games are a drip in a bucket compared to games like horizon. Also as a whole the leadership at Sony like Videogames and producing Videogames not just the profits from videogames.

A game like The Last Guardian is still greenlit with the expectation that it will generate profit for the corporation in some way. Otherwise, it would not be greenlit.

For example, Nintendo didn't fund Bayonetta 2 with the expectation that the game wouldn't benefit the company. The game was budgeted in a way that it would have a real chance to be a profitable venture, in both software sales and brand awareness, which would hopefully lead to more hardware purchases. It also deepened a business relationship with Platinum Games, leading to more partnerships going forward. I'd honestly be surprised if Nintendo lost money on that project, all things considered.

My point is that Sony, Nintendo, and MS aren't charities and there's always a profit motive behind a greenlit project. And honestly, I think we're in agreement on a lot of this stuff, going by the above post.

Y'all seem like you're rooting for this game to fail.

I think it can do great numbers. Maybe close to Bloodborne if the reviews are really good.

Reveiws are gonna' have to be really good for the game to do more than 2.1 million in sales. I'm not sure why anyone would want a Fumito Ueda project to fail.

Servbot24

Banned
Y'all seem like you're rooting for this game to fail.

I think it can do great numbers. Maybe close to Bloodborne if the reviews are really good.

The game has been in the top 20 of Amazon's PS4 Bestsellers for a few days now, shifting between the 10-17 range. Not sure if that's exactly a good sign of anything, but it seems promising IMO

Mifune

Mehmber
The game has been in the top 20 of Amazon's PS4 Bestsellers for a few days now, shifting between the 10-17 range. Not sure if that's exactly a good sign of anything, but it seems promising IMO

And really the only "current" game that ranks above it is FFXV. Everything else is seeing deep discounts.

test_account

XP-39C²
The thirst for first party content
Does that matter though? I mean, do you buy first party games simply because they are first party games or because you have interest in the game(s) itself? I cant see any reason to buy first party games just because they're first party, besides for collection purposes only (i collect 3DS game a little bit, and i pretty much only focus on first party eventhough i dont have any particular interest in the game itself).

Top Bottom