• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

I'm reading the Death Note manga for some fucking reason and Preacher is reminding me a lot of Light Yagami. He's just, you know, making people go to church instead of killing them.

A far worse fate, imo.

Out of context scenes in the cold open and the stinger. If there's one thing I liked about Lost, it's how they would introduce bizarre concepts and characters and immediately tie them into a narrative that affected the main characters. The hatch intro to season 2, for example, is infinitely more riveting television than the "pressure gauge" scene from this episode. I kept waiting for a zoom in or a jump scare or a video monitor to come into the shot but no...fade to black. A commercial would have been a better use of that time.

Eugene's bait and switch was really, really ham-fisted. Would have been infinitely more interesting to have a character overcoming post traumatic stress after dealing with demons, who haven't yet made an appearance in the show. BTW, did we ever find out what happened to the seraphim they disabled a few episodes back?

The gunfight was kinda fun, and the guy finding a "clever" way to block genesis was well done.

I still don't get why Jesse's assistant hangs out with the mayor. She finds him detestable, yet at the end he's comforting her as Jesse is hauled away? And why would Quincannon spend all those resources to get Jesse out of the church, only to let him back in for another bet he might Welch on?

I guess I'm sticking with this one until the end of the season; this show is so frustratingly close to being entertaining, but pacing and the lack of clear motives makes it hard to get invested.

Snorlocs

Out of context scenes in the cold open and the stinger. If there's one thing I liked about Lost, it's how they would introduce bizarre concepts and characters and immediately tie them into a narrative that affected the main characters. The hatch intro to season 2, for example, is infinitely more riveting television than the "pressure gauge" scene from this episode. I kept waiting for a zoom in or a jump scare or a video monitor to come into the shot but no...fade to black. A commercial would have been a better use of that time.

Eugene's bait and switch was really, really ham-fisted. Would have been infinitely more interesting to have a character overcoming post traumatic stress after dealing with demons, who haven't yet made an appearance in the show. BTW, did we ever find out what happened to the seraphim they disabled a few episodes back?

The gunfight was kinda fun, and the guy finding a "clever" way to block genesis was well done.

I still don't get why Jesse's assistant hangs out with the mayor. She finds him detestable, yet at the end he's comforting her as Jesse is hauled away? And why would Quincannon spend all those resources to get Jesse out of the church, only to let him back in for another bet he might Welch on?

I guess I'm sticking with this one until the end of the season; this show is so frustratingly close to being entertaining, but pacing and the lack of clear motives makes it hard to get invested.

I'm pretty sure she is using him for babysitting (and possibly sex). This was a very weird episode though

Bebpo

Banned
Another mostly filler episode where nothing substantial happens until the last 10 mins. The bulk of it spent onEugene fakeout and another try to get genesis.

Can see where they're going with regards to matching up to the comics (comic spoilers):
It's pretty apparent that in this TV show version God hasn't left heaven yet by the conversations with the angel guys. So now Jesse is going to "call him down", which probably pulls him out of heaven.

Wouldn't be surprised if the TV series finale is Jesse forcing god down from heaven, and then he uses his power on god which freaks god out and causes god to go into hiding so Jesse and crew take off to find him because Jesse feels responsible like "oh shit I just pulled god out of heaven and sent him somewhere else"

I mean it'd completely be against the tone of the comic, but everything else in the show has been at this point so /shrug

Wouldn't even be surprised if Jesse tries to use his power on god and god rages and bites his eye out in the finale giving him eyepatch Jesse from S2.

Still don't really get why they started the Saint storyline in the ep2/ep4 intro since they're not keeping it up and by the time they go forward with that subplot all the non-comic readers aren't going to remember the 5 minute shorts in ep2 & ep4. Also it really seems from this ep that at some point they're going to have a "go to hell and bring back Eugene" story arc, which sounds really really dumb. Guess Eugene's not gonna exist as a character in this show and will just be Jesse's voice to talk to himself.

I thought that was great:

- Drunk, guilty Jesse is a good turnaround from jerk, power-tripping Jesse.

- Ghost-Eugene was great. I hope Real-Eugene comes back soon.

- Odin Quincannon's past and his worship of 'The God of Meat' actually added a lot more depth to him than I thought. Jesse's power backfiring in the worst way. Context, Jesse! Context!

- Angels continue to be dicks on modern TV.

- "Preacher shot my dick off."

- Ooooh, clever Donny. Hopefully that isn't permanent... though I think it likely will be. Dude blew out his ear drums. Like... fucking... you could have put noise-canceling headphones on and blasted loud music or something. Dumb Donny.

Clefargle

Not the best episode, but I enjoyed parts of it while wondering how dumb some of Odins men could be. I thought the opening was pretty crazy though, really shocking and well done. The rest went downhill until the end.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Show is like the walking dead where the seasons main arc becomes tiresome as hell. Trying to save the townspeople just isn't doing it for me.

Denzar

Haven't seen episode 8 yet, so can't comment on that, but I think this show is a great take on the comics. I adore the comics but must admit that having read them was souring the show for me somewhat. It took me a while to disconnect the characters from their comic counterparts.

Sure, it's still kinda slow, but I like what they're doing. Leblanc and Fiore are a treat to watch. Gilgun as Cass is perfect. Coletti nails it as Arseface, even though I would've loved to see a more "elaborate", disgusting prosthetic. I'm somwhere in the middle on Tulip. Well acted, but I don't know about the character yet. I also like that they are trying to flesh out Jesse's conflicted character a bit more. It's got a unique vibe to it, not found in any other series. It's not the best TV out there, but I'm having fun and I look forward to seeing a new EP each week.

This whole season feels like an establishment of characters, their personalities, battles and relationships with eachother. It woudln't surprise me if this season ended with one mayor event, setting up the main story for season 2.

Ohyeah, I missed the Herr Starr reference. It was the prologue to EP2, right?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think I'm dropping this show. I tried to stick it out but for everything I like there are like a dozen I don't. Maybe I'll catch up once all the episodes are out but I just can't do it anymore. Its a chore.

Moff

as much as I still generally like it and want to like it, terrible pacing in this first season, it feels slow and uneventful. I don't think it's boring, but it could and should be exciting, crazy and nuts, like the first episode promised.

Zoe

that went completely over my head, was that his family or what?

Yeah, his wife complained about him staying behind because of his job. The family name was mentioned in there somewhere, I think by the guy taking the photo.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The accident involving his family turned him insane

He cracked up

That was my understanding of the scene anyway, him wanting God denounced was because "God" had let him down by killing all his family

Moff

Yeah, his wife complained about him staying behind because of his job. The family name was mentioned in there somewhere, I think by the guy taking the photo.

oooooh, now I get it, and the next scene with him in the office that's where their bodies were sent to him, I didn't hear the Quincannon mention in the ski cabin, now that makes sense

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Im the only one who loves the social drama turning into wacko land in this show? It's just fun as hit to me.

It's like The Leftovers, only with 99% less navel-gazing and self-importance and 99% more zest.

Also, 100% less teenagers running naked in the forest, but what can you do.

Just caught up on the latest few episodes. Jesus I hate what they've done to the character of John Custer. He didn't even give
Jody and TC
a fight.

Top Bottom