• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher S2 |OT| The Gang Visits New Orleans - Mondays 9/8c

Petered out a bit at the end their yeah.

When the characters are bouncing off eachother and fighting shit the show is a blast but man the actual story content is a bit of a slog. Killing Tulip? Eugene in hell with Hitler all season? Jesse basically being a insufferable prick 95% of the time?

The show makes it hard to root for people tbh.

Looks like next season will be more of the same type of story with them being in LA for most of the season again with Jesse's hillbilly extended family this time.

Unrelated but this show amuses me with how hard the outfits on Tulip and Cassidy are every episode. Their costume designer must being have a lot of fun, each time they are on screen they look like they just robbed a bank.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So they devote massive amounts of time in this show to characters that don't exist in the source material and then kill them off.

Season 1 it was pretty much the entire town. Season 2 it was Dennis.

If you are going to pervert the source material so much, why not do something with your changes instead of tossing it all away every season.

groansey

From the perspective of someone who never read the comic, I'm still really enjoying the show, but agree towards the tail half of S2 it struggled to know what to do with Tulip and the Saint of Killers. They were both pretty dissatisfying and the Herr Star stuff felt stalled.

Interested to see where it goes in season 3 though.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not returning, that's for sure. Seth Rogen et all have perverted and bastardised one of my fave comics. I'm not angry, I know changes must be made, bit it's nothing like the real preacher. Everything has been changed, and hardly anything for the better. I get annoyed every single episode because of something they altered. Over and over I get disappointed because some change ensures that something I've been looking forward to is never gonna happen.

I'm just left with a big question: Why?

If you're gonna make a show out of something. Why ignore the source material to such a phenomenal degree? Why spend so little time on the actual story, and waste so much on your own bad ideas?

The only thing that can rescue this dull garbage is a new set of showrunners.

LotusHD

Banned
From the perspective of someone who never read the comic, I'm still really enjoying the show, but agree towards the tail half of S2 it struggled to know what to do with Tulip and the Saint of Killers. They were both pretty dissatisfying and the Herr Star stuff felt stalled.

Interested to see where it goes in season 3 though.

My thoughts as well.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the season got better near the end tbh. The first few episodes were boring me.

To be fair, my gf seems to enjoy it more than me, and she's just read the first book so far. If I didn't know the original story, who knows, maybe I'd enjoy it more.

This was never going to be the book unfortunately, and there are things that I definitely would have liked changed (I would recast Jessie. rewrite Tulip, and always have Cassidy wearing his sunglasses), but they get enough right that its worth a watch for me.

I absolutely love this show. A couple pacing missteps in the latter half, but the cast and writing just made it the highlight of every week, moreso than even GoT. I hope the permit refiling isn't just a standard pre-emptive formality, and is actually a promising sign.

I just can't get over how bad the pacing on this show is. We're eight episodes into the season and it feels like almost nothing has happened.

Easily the most boring thing I've watched all week and that includes Twin Peaks and Ray Donovan.

Boring show remains boring. AMC should do the right thing and axe this.

Sure, but shows this boring don't deserve to exist. AMC can, and usually does, do better.

It feels rare to see this self-escalating tenacity outside of the gaming side.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I really didn't care much for this season outside of Herr Starr's debut episode. I don't get why God taking a piss was a good thing to end the season on. I'll probably be back for Season 3 just because Angelville is one of the my favorite parts of the comics. I anticipate much bitching from me on how they ruined Jody and T.C..

Sinatar

Does Tulip die and get brought to back life in the comic?

pNSDrjh.png

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
The main difference between comics and the show is that you actually buy that Jesse and Tulip are in love. In the show they have absolutely no chemistry and I wonder why they waste time on each other.

Sinatar

The main difference between comics and the show is that you actually buy that Jesse and Tulip are in love. In the show they have absolutely no chemistry and I wonder why they waste time on each other.

It's even more bizarre when you find out that the actors that play Jesse and Tulip are in a real life relationship.

I really didn't care much for this season outside of Herr Starr's debut episode. I don't get why God taking a piss was a good thing to end the season on. I'll probably be back for Season 3 just because Angelville is one of the my favorite parts of the comics. I anticipate much bitching from me on how they ruined Jody and T.C..

I'm in the same boat, the finish was totally flat.

I also don't get the need for Dennis? What was the reason for the arc? Showing the Cas was bad for killing his son because he knew that he wouldn't be able to restrain himself when it was Cas who gave him a second chance in the first place?

On a similar note Tulip's death felt pointless too, other than a means to go to where they need to go next season. In the books it was an example of God's hubris, their exploitative master plans, Tulip's resolve, Jesse's devotion to her and Jody's villainy. Here it just felt like a slip-up where one terrible person shot another.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I'm in the same boat, the finish was totally flat.

I also don't get the need for Dennis? What was the reason for the arc? Showing the Cas was bad for killing his son because he knew that he wouldn't be able to restrain himself when it was Cas who gave him a second chance in the first place?

On a similar note Tulip's death felt pointless too, other than a means to go to where they need to go next season. In the books it was an example of God's hubris, their exploitative master plans, Tulip's resolve, Jesse's devotion to her and Jody's villainy. Here it just felt like a slip-up where one terrible person shot another.

I kept thinking that he and his son was going to play out the Blood & Whiskey one shot. They referenced it with the website, but completely glanced over it. It ultimately just felt like an afterthought.

CSJ

This also felt like a drag for me; the hell scenes could've taken up parts of two episodes and left it there. It just kept going on and on and on. Ending was lacklustre, was hoping for something revealing, something answered, something with suspense because if I'm to expect what happened to Tulip is it, which it isn't; hah!.

It's even more bizarre when you find out that the actors that play Jesse and Tulip are in a real life relationship.

If I remember correctly both played in the WoW movie as king and queen too!

I kept thinking that he and his son was going to play out the Blood & Whiskey one shot. They referenced it with the website, but completely glanced over it. It ultimately just felt like an afterthought.

I said in an earlier post that I thought they'd put together the Blood & Whiskey plus Reaver Cleaver arcs to show that Cassidy has connection with terrible people but was willing to put his current friends above it, with Dennis harming Tulip then him killing Dennis. Instead we got nothing out of it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So his grandma has her killed? Why?

Comic Spoilers:

Jesse's grandma is just sadistic and cruel. They capture Jesse & Tulip and tell them they can have one more night together before Tulip is executed in the morning. That's considered a kindness in that family...so during that night, Jesse tells Tulip about his childhood growing up at Angelville. Morning comes and they shoot Tulip. The why is pretty simple. His grandmother wants him to go back to being a preacher and thinks someone like Tulip is not only unworthy of their bloodline, but would be a distraction. During that "last" night together Jesse explains how the only reason he exists is because his mama ran away from Angelville and eventually met his father, before all 3 of them were dragged back. Jesse's entire childhood is fucked up

I literally reread the trade a few days ago, so it's fresh for me lol. Definitely pick it up, the execution is amazing. The show really hasn't spoiled much where you can't enjoy the comic.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I liked the finale. I liked the season. The show is still good and fun, but I also never saw anyone in the comics as good people to begin with, they were all some sort of level of despicable or annoying.

Sir Doom

The first couple of episodes where promising then it drags. There was one scene in the finale that reminded there used to humor to this show. I wish Tulip and Cassidy had more humor.
Show needs to hire writers from Better Call Saul if they want less action scenes to be engaging.

Might be out after this season

Breads

Banned
Early season me:This season has more episodes. That means that they are going to focus on moving the story along and they needed more episodes to do it, right?

Late season me: Oh no it was just more aimless filler.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm not returning, that's for sure. Seth Rogen et all have perverted and bastardised one of my fave comics. I'm not angry, I know changes must be made, bit it's nothing like the real preacher. Everything has been changed, and hardly anything for the better. I get annoyed every single episode because of something they altered. Over and over I get disappointed because some change ensures that something I've been looking forward to is never gonna happen.

I'm just left with a big question: Why?

If you're gonna make a show out of something. Why ignore the source material to such a phenomenal degree? Why spend so little time on the actual story, and waste so much on your own bad ideas?

The only thing that can rescue this dull garbage is a new set of showrunners.
Couldn't agree more.

This too.

Consider Tulip's personality in the show. Why would she even be in love with someone like Jesse? They are completely incompatible. And sure enough they always fight/argue/act passive-aggressive at one another/etc. It makes no sense.

So his grandma has her killed? Why?
And now she's gonna revive her? Because let's do the opposite of what the comics do because reasons

Top Bottom